Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not aimed at you, I am just using yours on this topic to reply to. I think part of the problem is that we are all stuck here, on the same thread, and so many of us started from different points, so the same topics get brought up over and over, ad nauseam. When I started, there were already 12 threads to wade through to get up to speed. Anyone jumping in now, Lord help them. It just is not possible for most people to read every post, or even the majority of them everyday. Heck, even I had to skip an entire thread one day this week when we basically went through an entire thread while I was at work. And not everyone is familiar enough with this site to know there is a thread of info only. Newbies join here every day, and I, for one, am glad they do. So instead of getting frustrated with them when they ask that same question that has been answered 100 times, or instead of pointing out that it has been asked and answered 100 times and they should know better than to ask it, sometimes it is best to kindly answer them, or just scroll and roll, . Almost everyone here is here with good intentions. Another thing, I have been on threads that were very popular, and they got divided into sub-forums, each covering a different topic about teh case, so someone wanting to quote about the white truck, for example, in the case of Micky Shunick, didnt have to wade through pages and pages of stuff about numerous other things. Problem is, in this case, we have no facts, so there really is not much for the powers that be here to make into sub-forums, I'm not even sure if they still do those with this new software. BTW, when I first encountered sub-forums in the Micky Shunick case, I was not a fane, but I quickly became one when I got used to the idea. If we ever get some real facts in this case, I could see that happening here, perhaps. MOO
I agree!! Especiall pertaining to new members since I was one 3 weeks ago. I'm so glad I wasn't reprimanded with a stern answer indicating we had already discussed that or " do you have a link?" I would have been scared off. Now I am an "Active member" and when I get the chance, I try to respond to new members or even old members new on this case, especially when I can tell they don't know much about it. Often it is in response to someone that has already been told, that is not allowed, etc. If we just take the time, and patience, to explain or steer them in the right direction in the first place, they won't remain in the dark long. And... WELCOME ALL NEW MEMBERS! we could use your help.

This is not aimed at you, I am just using your well-written post on this topic to reply to. I think part of the problem is that we are all stuck here, on the same thread, and so many of us started from different points, so the same topics get brought up over and over, ad nauseam. When I started following this case, there were already 12 threads to wade through to get up to speed. Anyone jumping in now, Lord help them. It just is not possible for most people to read every post, or even the majority of them everyday. Heck, even I had to skip an entire thread one day this week when we basically went through an entire thread while I was at work. And not everyone is familiar enough with this site to know there is a thread of info only. Newbies join here every day, and I, for one, am glad they do. So instead of getting frustrated with them when they ask that same question that has been answered 100 times, or instead of pointing out that it has been asked and answered 100 times and they should know better than to ask it, sometimes it is best to kindly answer them, or just scroll and roll. Almost everyone here is here with good intentions. Another thing, I have been on threads that were very popular, and they got divided into sub-forums, each covering a different topic about the case, so someone wanting to quote about the white truck, for example, in the case of Micky Shunick, didn't have to wade through pages and pages of stuff about numerous other things. Problem is, in this case, we have no facts, so there really is not much for the powers that be here to make into sub-forums, I'm not even sure if they still do those with this new software. BTW, when I first encountered sub-forums in the Micky Shunick case, I was not a fan, but I quickly became one when I got used to the idea. If we ever get some real facts in this case, I could see that happening here, perhaps. MOO

Of course I agree with you that is is good form, to kindly answer newbie questions, but that doesn't mean we who have heard the same info discussed a 100.000 times can't save our sanity by sharing a laugh with our fellow sleuths. There are very few forums on the web that you will find the welcome and hospitality that you find here. Some camaraderie amongst veterans, to break up the monotony is necessary, and new people who are even a smidge well manored, should consider returning the good will by realizing that we need the respite to be able to trudge through these often bleak cases. IMO ( of course).

This is not aimed at you, I am just using your well-written post on this topic to reply to. I think part of the problem is that we are all stuck here, on the same thread, and so many of us started from different points, so the same topics get brought up over and over, ad nauseam. When I started following this case, there were already 12 threads to wade through to get up to speed. Anyone jumping in now, Lord help them. It just is not possible for most people to read every post, or even the majority of them everyday. Heck, even I had to skip an entire thread one day this week when we basically went through an entire thread while I was at work. And not everyone is familiar enough with this site to know there is a thread of info only. Newbies join here every day, and I, for one, am glad they do. So instead of getting frustrated with them when they ask that same question that has been answered 100 times, or instead of pointing out that it has been asked and answered 100 times and they should know better than to ask it, sometimes it is best to kindly answer them, or just scroll and roll. Almost everyone here is here with good intentions. Another thing, I have been on threads that were very popular, and they got divided into sub-forums, each covering a different topic about the case, so someone wanting to quote about the white truck, for example, in the case of Micky Shunick, didn't have to wade through pages and pages of stuff about numerous other things. Problem is, in this case, we have no facts, so there really is not much for the powers that be here to make into sub-forums, I'm not even sure if they still do those with this new software. BTW, when I first encountered sub-forums in the Micky Shunick case, I was not a fan, but I quickly became one when I got used to the idea. If we ever get some real facts in this case, I could see that happening here, perhaps. MOO
I am also very glad that we get newbies here every day and I welcome their fresh perspectives. The only ones that annoy me are the ones who show up to post "this case is cold" and then log off. But that's my bad. I will practice scroll and roll and ignore going forward. Let's focus on Mollie and bring her home.

May I ask where you got those photos of the co-op? If they are from Google they were taken in 2013. The digger was on the lawn then, but someone was doing work on the road as you can see in the Google street view. If it is a current photo, please let me know.

Google Maps

The issue we have, and have had, is that there have been many mainstream reports that cite second hand information from witnesses and other people related to this case. We have no way of knowing if the information being relayed, is true or not. This is especially true with the early reports of Mollie returning home after her run. What LE purportedly believed at one point, may have changed as the investigation progressed. Many people, including me, take all of these reports with a grain of salt, as they are not coming directly from the mouth of LE. Although the source is legitimate, the information may not be.

Some with a 5 pound grain of salt, as with TPTSNBN (the publication that shall not be named), or the DM (the third leading paper in Britain).

But there are no cameras on the TIP building, correct? Were you referring to your Co-op outside of Brooklyn having no cameras, or the TIP building in Brooklyn that I posted photos of? TIA

I have no idea about the one in Brooklyn, as I have never been to Brooklyn. My original comment seems to have taken on a new life form.

In the original conversation, the poster said that payments were only taken inside, not through the dropbox, because the cameras were broken. Other posters commented and said that reasoning didn't make sense because all you had to do was drop a check in the dropbox-no cameras were necessary. I chimed in and agreed by saying MY electric co-op, as in the one located in my town, had never had cameras and that hadn't affected our ability to pay outside.

Of course I agree with you that is is good form, to kindly answer newbie questions, but that doesn't mean we who have heard the same info discussed a 100.000 times can't save our sanity by sharing a laugh with our fellow sleuths. There are very few forums on the web that you will find the welcome and hospitality that you find here. Some camaraderie amongst veterans, to break up the monotony is necessary, and new people who are even a smidge well manored, should consider returning the good will by realizing that we need the respite to be able to trudge through these often bleak cases. IMO ( of course).

I do agree with you on this. My problem is that my humor is sometimes perceived as 'smartass' by people who don't know me. (People that know me, know that I am)

There is an audio interview at this link with Bill Hemmer and two of the reporters from Fox who were sent to Iowa, Cristina Corbin and Andrew Keiper.
The red shirt is discussed starting at about the 10:34 mark, and Andrew Keiper says this: "The mom even said on background that she had seen the shirt that they found and it wasn't Mollie's."

Tracking the Mollie Tibbetts Story

Not from LE, so rumor and heresay.
We
I believe a journalist reporting on Fox News is mainstream media. If I am incorrect, please let me know :)
listen to it again at the 11 min mark. They don’t know for sure, it’s not from LE, and they don’t say who the Mom made the remark to. Further, they don’t say of the red shirt could be the Perps. Too many holes in their remarks. I’m not crossing this off the list until we hear from LE. The reporters are doing a lot of speculating, similar to us!

bbm

There is no time criteria associated with the basic definition of "cold case". Certainly, we should expect more evidence to be discovered since the case is not resolved and we hope it will be resolved but that doesn't change the possibility nor likelihood that "new" evidence is not being discovered in the present tense. Even if new evidence were to be discovered next Tuesday that would change a current status of "cold".

My opinion is LE might withhold as long as possible in classifying a case as "cold" as much for PR purposes as for official course of business. I understand LE would not want to admit "cold" because the common perception by the public is LE is not doing their job. I don't perceive it that way: if a case is "cold" I always assume it is that LE has exhausted all and everything then-currently at their disposal and it becomes a waiting game until that related-tip comes in or someone discovers bones or a torn shirt or a driver's license or whatever.
Maybe. I always thought once declared, or labelled a cold case it would indicate they were NOT actively investigating the case. I thought they would have to "reopen" the case to continue an active investigation. But I could be wrong. I think someone here connected to LE explained it pretty thoroughly but of course I can't find it... Maybe I am thinking of a " closed" case. I don't know the terminology!

BINGO!!!
Otherwise, when there are no new leads, some of us, who allow these cases to take over our lives and hearts, end up depressed and lose hope of getting answers. A little levity doesn't mean we are not taking the case seriously. Our hope is that every case is solved with a positive outcome.

In one of the early threads (within a few days after the 19th) I shared a video of drone footage (it may have been from FOX) of the assumed route MT may have jogged July 18. The assumed jogging route included a transition to a gravel/dirt part of the road near the J house and someone on that thread chimed in and stated, paraphrasing, "Mollie didn't jog down a dirt road."

I'm being lazy and not searching for that exchange but it seems that we may safely assume that drone video may have been spot on in showing a potential route.

I bring this up now because I remember in the video seeing tire ruts in the dirt, just at the point where the drone reverses its path while still maintaining the tire ruts in frame (the drone reversed direction but remain orientated facing the same direction of its approach to the area).

Upon seeing those tire ruts (they appeared relatively fresh in the then-dried mud) I immediately thought of a vehicle flooring the accelerator in an attempt to haul-*advertiser censored* it out of the area, with the spinning tires creating ruts in the muddied road (likely wet from rain on July 19). The position and movement of the drone video made it appear as if it were a video being recorded by a someone wearing a GoPro and 'jogging' the route... the experience of watching that video gripped me then, and grips me now when I think of it.

Last edited:
I have trouble understanding that as well. Our co-op doesn't even have cameras, never has, and that hasn't affected our ability to pay outside in the dropbox.

The employee page was removed because people were making a jump from this case to one in Indiana and harassing an employee who they thought slightly resembled that sketch (even though it seems like most of middle America resembles it).
Was that employee page harassment info on SM ?

Maybe. I always thought once declared, or labelled a cold case it would indicate they were NOT actively investigating the case. I thought they would have to "reopen" the case to continue an active investigation. But I could be wrong. I think someone here connected to LE explained it pretty thoroughly but of course I can't find it... Maybe I am thinking of a " closed" case. I don't know the terminology!
bbm... this is the part of the definition that you need to know:
cold case
noun
  1. an unsolved criminal investigation which remains open pending the discovery of new evidence.
    "the cold cases that have never been solved"

In one of the early threads (within a few days after the 19th) I shared a video of drone footage (it may have been from FOX) of the assumed route MT may have jogged July 18. The assumed jogging route included a transition to a gravel/dirt part of the road near the J house and someone on that thread chimed in and stated, paraphrasing, "Mollie didn't jog down a dirt road."

I'm being lazy and not searching for that exchange but it seems that we may safely assume that drone video may have been spot on in showing a potential route.

I bring this up now because I remember in the video seeing tire ruts in the dirt, just at the point where the drone reverses its path while still maintaining the tire ruts in frame (the drone reversed direction but remain orientated facing the same direction of its approach to the area).

Upon seeing those tire ruts (they appeared relatively fresh in the then-dried mud) I immediately thought of a vehicle flooring the accelerator in an attempt to haul-*advertiser censored* it out of the area, with the spinning tires creating ruts in the muddied road (likely wet from rain on July 19). The position and movement of the drone video made it appear as if it were a video being recorded by a someone wearing a GoPro and 'jogging' the route... the experience of watching that video gripped me then, and grips me know when I think of it.
Great post. It’s easy to picture that scenario you illustrate. Unfortunately, I fear that any evidence of tire marks would have been washed away by the rain the following day. If that evidence existed, it was likely destroyed.

I agree. No new information. LE silent. 1 month has gone by.

Maybe LE has some pressing reason to not say more, but I think it's a big mistake on their part. The public is very interested in finding Mollie. I think LE is missing the opportunity to allow the public to help. We can't help if they give us nothing to work with. The press conference with the map and list of what to look for in a suspect was too broad and general.

Five years from now someone new will head the case and go through evidence and ask for the public's help but by that time memories fade.

The Iowa media haven't given any indication the case has gone cold. I'm not sure what more you expect LE to tell the general public. They have pinpointed five specific areas and asked anyone there on July 18 to contact them and 200 more tips have come in.

A month after Mollie Tibbetts disappeared, her father thanks an Iowa community for its compassion

mtnlites, I know I never went to church on Wednesday (and don't go to church now because I am a heathen too. LOL!!). But USUALLY in small towns many people go to church on Wednesday. I am not the norm. I know I live in a small town and on Wednesday nights the restaurants (mainly family restaurants) are packed usually after church. And from what I can see (from SharonNeedles' videos) Brooklyn is a small town.

That is pretty much what I said in my original comment. I live in a town the size of Brooklyn in what is arguably the most conservative and relugious part of the country, and what I said was that while many people DO attend Wed night services, it doesn't make a noticeable difference in street traffic; the town does not appear emptier just because people are at church.

Actually, if we are looking at it that way, Wednesday nights probably see MORE street traffic around 7:30-8:30pm than any other night. If I were a criminal and I didn't want to be caught, I wouldn't pick a time in which people were leaving youth group or church. I would pick a Tuesday. Or a Monday. We never go out to eat on Wed night because we don't want to fight the church crowd and with the different denominations letting out at diffetent times, things can stay busy until 10 (or later, depending upon when the Holiness Pentacostals wrap up).

2 additional notes: 1. I think the FB posts from the most recent month or so could have been taken down for multiple reasons. Yes, they’re might be some valid leads there investigators are looking into. I hope so. But just as or more likely, they might have removed them so that the public does not further harass her friends and family who recently saw her or claimed to have seen her.

Secondly, I do NOT lean toward connecting this to Evansdale or Delphi. But...while MT could certainly be mistaken for a middle schooler, supporting the idea that the perp has a type, the more important similarity to me is that both Mollie and the Delphi girl’s used social media platforms with features that allow you to enable your “friends” to view your location.

I have watched a couple entrepreneur and coach types who stream live video through Snapchat, IG, Periscope, FB etc., and 1 in particular has filmed repeatedly from a Starbucks on a busy street I recognize as being in a nearby city.

Some users don’t attempt to hide their location on social media and will announce where they are at the beginning of their vids. But others, even if they have their location services turned off, may think they have more anonymity than they do. In reality, “regular” friends and followers (even if they’re just strangers or acquaintances sometimes) may pick up clues from watching repeatedly that helps them establish a location.

I don’t think Delphi and Mollie are connected personally. And although I think social media or apps could be involved, I think this was a known acquaintance.

But it’s worth saying that investigators seem to have a hard time using social media data to track the whereabouts of girls in these scenarios. So on social media, people would be wise to turn off location services, only befriend actual friends they know in real life, to not share the details of their daily routines and schedules, and to film against a nondescript background if they choose to film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member