Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mollie' s mother recently shared the story of her cousin who was murdered. This was the result of a crime in which other family members were involved. One family member is still in prison but another man involved in the robbery/murders should have been released not that long ago. It appears Mollie's mother's family has lived in the Brooklyn area for decades. I feel Mollie's abduction was not random and have to wonder if retribution may have played onto this.
Wow. That is interesting. Can you give us more background?!

I asked this before and don't think I got an answer - is there a link to a MSM article that states the cameras at the co-op were not working?
I looked but could never find one. As someone else said, there was chatter that it had been on their website but using Wayback Machine showed nothing and someone even read old newsletters and couldn’t find it.

This is not aimed at you, I am just using your well-written post on this topic to reply to. I think part of the problem is that we are all stuck here, on the same thread, and so many of us started from different points, so the same topics get brought up over and over, ad nauseam. When I started following this case, there were already 12 threads to wade through to get up to speed. Anyone jumping in now, Lord help them. It just is not possible for most people to read every post, or even the majority of them everyday. Heck, even I had to skip an entire thread one day this week when we basically went through an entire thread while I was at work. And not everyone is familiar enough with this site to know there is a thread of info only. Newbies join here every day, and I, for one, am glad they do. So instead of getting frustrated with them when they ask that same question that has been answered 100 times, or instead of pointing out that it has been asked and answered 100 times and they should know better than to ask it, sometimes it is best to kindly answer them, or just scroll and roll. Almost everyone here is here with good intentions. Another thing, I have been on threads that were very popular, and they got divided into sub-forums, each covering a different topic about the case, so someone wanting to quote about the white truck, for example, in the case of Micky Shunick, didn't have to wade through pages and pages of stuff about numerous other things. Problem is, in this case, we have no facts, so there really is not much for the powers that be here to make into sub-forums, I'm not even sure if they still do those with this new software. BTW, when I first encountered sub-forums in the Micky Shunick case, I was not a fan, but I quickly became one when I got used to the idea. If we ever get some real facts in this case, I could see that happening here, perhaps. MOO

I have two ideas I have been wondering about to possibly help with the repetition, I’d appreciate any old-timers or mods to weigh in on if either of these could be possible:

A) make sub forums on the main repeated theories/topics ie Fitbit info, Snapchat, cellphones and towers, WC, cases with possible connections, hit and run, contacts, etc....... I have never been involved in a Websleuths case where there have been sub forums so I don’t really know what the requirements/parameters there are for them.

B) make a collaborative post similar to the extremely helpful “what we know” post that gets posted at the beginning of each thread with a list of the repeated topics/theories and includes links to the most helpful posts about each one.

Would either of these things be possible? If only option B is possible, would there be any other sleuths on here that would be willing to help create a list and/or gather info to add to a collaborative post of repeated/covered topics? Many people read the first page (I hope) and I would think it could be super helpful to find out what has already been covered and where they could read some of the most informative posts covering it.

I do think it is difficult for everyone involved, whether it’s the new people feeling unwelcomed when posting something that has been beaten to death, and for the people that have been here from the beginning trying to keep up with every post in every thread, only to have to keep reading about the same thing for pages over and over. I know what a great community this is, so I hope there is a good solution to keep everyone focused on Mollie!!!

There is a draw to a familiar childhood place, like a Holiday Lake. The Lake is fairly large, and a local would know the hidey-holes and where the best spot to dispose would be. I'm sticking to this, as well as the mine as the two top spots I'd want to rule out.

Hi Rosesfromamgels,

What about the cornfields. they are like hidey heaven for some creep...and no I do not think he would be afraid to get a few scratches.
I know nothing about cornfields but at what time of the year do they get cut down..
anyone know?

I think there's so much unknown about social media, especially to older law enforcement (and the older population, in general) and especially in the Midwest. We're catching up, but we're still eons behind the West and East Coast. I'm just now seeing apps that were popular years ago when I visited D.C. pop up in Iowa. In addition, small town Midwestern towns are even farther behind, so even if LE is receiving data - who knows how well they're able to interpret it. I guess that might be one reason for bringing FBI in so quickly. If only they had Penelope (which I saw discussed in an earlier thread, lol).

Teens also are into apps we don't even know about. Heck, my boyfriend's 7-year-old niece is apparently chatting to total strangers on a game she's playing. It looks like an innocent kids game, but there are real people she's talking to in the game and that scares me. I don't know how much her mother is aware of - my mother had no clue who I was talking to online when I was a teenager, for what it's worth.

She could easily have been using an app no one else knows about that would provide data/information isn't known already. As far as we know, investigators haven't found the phone - but maybe they have?

I have no idea about the one in Brooklyn, as I have never been to Brooklyn. My original comment seems to have taken on a new life form.

In the original conversation, the poster said that payments were only taken inside, not through the dropbox, because the cameras were broken. Other posters commented and said that reasoning didn't make sense because all you had to do was drop a check in the dropbox-no cameras were necessary. I chimed in and agreed by saying MY electric co-op, as in the one located in my town, had never had cameras and that hadn't affected our ability to pay outside.

Mtnlites, I apologize. I misinterpreted your post. I wasn’t aware you live out of town. When you said “our co-op” in your post I thought you lived in Brooklyn and were talking about the lack of cameras at TIP in addition to giving the reason their employee page was removed. My fault.

mtnlites posted...

I have trouble understanding that as well. Our co-op doesn't even have cameras, never has, and that hasn't affected our ability to pay outside in the dropbox.

The employee page was removed because people were making a jump from this case to one in Indiana and harassing an employee who they thought slightly resembled that sketch (even though it seems like most of middle America resembles it)

Wow. That is interesting. Can you give us more background?!
LC stated that her cousin was murdered by another cousin in 1979. The cousin and her husband worked with another cousin to pull of a bank robbery. The one cousin then killed his cousin and her husband after the robbery was over. LC even stated that at first she had to wonder if there was a connection between Mollie's disappearance and this incident.

Hi Rosesfromamgels,

What about the cornfields. they are like hidey heaven for some creep...and no I do not think he would be afraid to get a few scratches.
I know nothing about cornfields but at what time of the year do they get cut down..
anyone know?

Someone upthread said harvest time starts soon, late Aug. I don’t think she’s in a cornfield. Too much effort to move about.

Even practical stuff must be a nightmare; should they pay tuition, keep the new apartment, does the new housemate keep Mollie’s room open or sublet it, pay car insurance premiums etc...all of this matters, yet probably seems trivial...but has to be dealth with all the same.

Of course I agree with you that is is good form, to kindly answer newbie questions, but that doesn't mean we who have heard the same info discussed a 100.000 times can't save our sanity by sharing a laugh with our fellow sleuths. There are very few forums on the web that you will find the welcome and hospitality that you find here. Some camaraderie amongst veterans, to break up the monotony is necessary, and new people who are even a smidge well manored, should consider returning the good will by realizing that we need the respite to be able to trudge through these often bleak cases. IMO ( of course).
I agree, although I didn't see where in Stevep' s post humor was mentioned. We all need that, once in a while, especially after a long few threads of racking our brains and getting emotionally drained. But if that humor is in response to or in relation to a new poster, ( not accusing anyone of doing this) it becomes innapropriate, especially if it sarcastic. I have seen this a few times occur, and felt so bad for that poster. I know i am off topic and will say nothing further but just wanted to respond to this one last time. I wouldnt think ANYONE here wants to make anyone feel unwelcome! And that's all I have to say about THAT.

Last edited:
Of course I agree with you that is is good form, to kindly answer newbie questions, but that doesn't mean we who have heard the same info discussed a 100.000 times can't save our sanity by sharing a laugh with our fellow sleuths. There are very few forums on the web that you will find the welcome and hospitality that you find here. Some camaraderie amongst veterans, to break up the monotony is necessary, and new people who are even a smidge well manored, should consider returning the good will by realizing that we need the respite to be able to trudge through these often bleak cases. IMO ( of course).
Everyone just needs to put on their tinfoil bonnets. :)

Mollie' s mother recently shared the story of her cousin who was murdered. This was the result of a crime in which other family members were involved. One family member is still in prison but another man involved in the robbery/murders should have been released not that long ago. It appears Mollie's mother's family has lived in the Brooklyn area for decades. I feel Mollie's abduction was not random and have to wonder if retribution may have played onto this.

This is interesting. Can you link to an article to verify this and help us learn more?

This is not aimed at you, I am just using your well-written post on this topic to reply to. I think part of the problem is that we are all stuck here, on the same thread, and so many of us started from different points, so the same topics get brought up over and over, ad nauseam. When I started following this case, there were already 12 threads to wade through to get up to speed. Anyone jumping in now, Lord help them. It just is not possible for most people to read every post, or even the majority of them everyday. Heck, even I had to skip an entire thread one day this week when we basically went through a whole thread while I was at work. And not everyone is familiar enough with this site to know there is a thread of info only. Newbies join here every day, and I, for one, am glad they do. So instead of getting frustrated with them when they ask that same question that has been answered 100 times, or instead of pointing out that it has been asked and answered 100 times and they should know better than to ask it, sometimes it is best to kindly answer them, or just scroll and roll. Almost everyone here is here with good intentions. Another thing, I have been on threads that were very popular, and they got divided into sub-forums, each covering a different topic about the case, so someone wanting to quote about the white truck, for example, in the case of Micky Shunick, didn't have to wade through pages and pages of stuff about numerous other things. Problem is, in this case, we have no facts, so there really is not much for the powers that be here to make into sub-forums, I'm not even sure if they still do those with this new software. BTW, when I first encountered sub-forums in the Micky Shunick case, I was not a fan, but I quickly became one when I got used to the idea. If we ever get some real facts in this case, I could see that happening here, perhaps. MOO
It would help if concerned new folks, read the known facts of the case, at the start of each thread.

LC stated that her cousin was murdered by another cousin in 1979. The cousin and her husband worked with another cousin to pull of a bank robbery. The one cousin then killed his cousin and her husband after the robbery was over. LC even stated that at first she had to wonder if there was a connection between Mollie's disappearance and this incident.
Seems like a huuuuge time gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member