Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Way upstream there was a discussion about the possibility of older perps and some saying a senior person wouldn’t likely do this (paraphrasing), to which I didnt have a chance to comment.

I look at it like this: we know killers/rapists don’t just grow out of it. If one commits suchacts in their 20s, 30s, 40s, there is nothing to say imo that they will suddenly stop doing it when they get older. If anything, they are possibly more refined in their crafts. Age-related health factors may play a role in how active/efficient one can be, but imo the “urge” just doesn’t dissipate with age.

In a nutshell, no old man gets a free pass here just because he is old, moo.

She could easily have been using an app no one else knows about that would provide data/information isn't known already. As far as we know, investigators haven't found the phone - but maybe they have?

Which would be a very good reason for the phone to remain missing. HOWEVER, whenever I "buy" an app, even a free app, I get an email about "the purchase." But, if she had acquired the app a month or so before July 18, would there be any records in other online caches to lead to it?

Way upstream there was a discussion about the possibility of older perps and some saying a senior person wouldn’t likely do this (paraphrasing), to which I didnt have a chance to comment.

I look at it like this: we know killers/rapists don’t just grow out of it. If one commits suchacts in their 20s, 30s, 40s, there is nothing to say imo that they will suddenly stop doing it when they get older. If anything, they are possibly more refined in their crafts. Health may play a role in how active:efficient one can be, but imo the “urge” just doesn’t dissipate with age.
I agree. Basically, rapists and child molesters don't stop until they are incarcerated. Then, if they get out they start up again. I think sk just keep going to. Sometimes a person might stop because they can no longer perform.

Which would be a very good reason for the phone to remain missing. HOWEVER, whenever I "buy" an app, even a free app, I get an email about "the purchase." But, if she had acquired the app a month or so before July 18, would there be any records in other online caches to lead to it?
Good point. If they can log into her Apple store account, on any device, they can see previously downloaded apps I believe.

Some users don’t attempt to hide their location on social media and will announce where they are at the beginning of their vids. But others, even if they have their location services turned off, may think they have more anonymity than they do. In reality, “regular” friends and followers (even if they’re just strangers or acquaintances sometimes) may pick up clues from watching repeatedly that helps them establish a location.

I don’t think Delphi and Mollie are connected personally. And although I think social media or apps could be involved, I think this was a known acquaintance.

But it’s worth saying that investigators seem to have a hard time using social media data to track the whereabouts of girls in these scenarios. So on social media, people would be wise to turn off location services, only befriend actual friends they know in real life, to not share the details of their daily routines and schedules, and to film against a nondescript background if they choose to film.
I agree with this. It is never a good idea to share location data on SM especially if it is viewable by anyone but your closest friends. While you can befriend casual acquaintances on SM, it is very important to use privacy settings so that only your closest friends will know where you are or when you are going on vacation. Here is an example of a life lessen learned several years ago. I posted about going to Germany when I was excited about meeting a singer there. I didn't post anything when I was gone because I had very little internet access. The weekend I returned, a casual "friend" that I had met online came to visit me. He asked me when I was leaving for my trip. I told him it was last week and that I just got back, and he said something really weird which at the time I shrugged off. He said that he thought I was going to be going THIS week. Now, I am wondering if he hadn't planned to go through my things and pawn what he thought was valuable. Reason being is that all of a sudden he stopped posting on FB a short time later. I thought it was weird. Did he die in a wreck or something? We weren't close enough that any of his family would have contacted me. So, I googled him and found out that he was in jail for burglary. He confessed to pawning the things that he'd taken. He was taking them from family homes of the friends he had, when he knew they were going to be out of town. After that, I don't talk about my vacations or trips to Germany with anyone other than my friends who live there ( I feel it's highly unlikely they'll pay for a flight ticket to rob me while I'm gone), and I wait until I am back home to post the photos.

I’m just saying that in addition to the case you mentioned, we don’t have anything to indicate that there is a current conflict. If you had evidence of this, combined with that past case, then we’d have something. But right now all there is, is this old case. I just think it’s flimsy without more detail.
Also, it was mentioned early on that Utah may be a possibility, but I don't remember them mentioning it at the latest PC. OR the one before.

This may sound like an exceedingly dumb question. Are those cameras or lights?

looks like lights to me. cameras could be as small around as a quarter or as big as a basket ball and anything between. I think those are lights. depending on where cameras are the squares could also be ir boosters. moo

Hi Rosesfromamgels,

What about the cornfields. they are like hidey heaven for some creep...and no I do not think he would be afraid to get a few scratches.
I know nothing about cornfields but at what time of the year do they get cut down..
anyone know?
I was on my bike one time when nature called next to a cornfield. You don't have to go very far back to obscure yourself. I didn't get any scratches.

I was on my bike one time when nature called next to a cornfield. You don't have to go very far back to obscure yourself. I didn't get any scratches.
Right. And even though I lean toward her disappearance relating to getting into a car with an acquaintance, my mind can’t forget all the theorizing on WS about Toni Anderson. Although she had people in her social circles that led sleuthers to suspect all kinds of foul play, it in the end, she had accidentally driven into a lake when it was dark, apparently believing an unmarked boat ramp was a road.

There is still a possibility MT had a medical emergency, like an asthma attack, or freak accident and stumbled into a place where she has yet to be found...or tried to shortcut through a field to get to a house for medical help and succumbed to her breathing problems there. Bc we don’t have reason to believe Mollie had a double life and because we also have no evidence of an abductor on video or any sign of Mollie’s blood/DNA, the simplest explanation could be that she had some sort of medical emergency or accident and will be discovered in time.

I look at it like this: we know killers/rapists don’t just grow out of it. If one commits suchacts in their 20s, 30s, 40s, there is nothing to say imo that they will suddenly stop doing it when they get older. If anything, they are possibly more refined in their crafts. Age-related health factors may play a role in how active/efficient one can be, but imo the “urge” just doesn’t dissipate with age.

ITA. <modsnip: discussing other cases> I think there is high probability MT's abductor is older and owns or has access to rural property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just caught up for the most part. Id like to ask everyone’s thoughts on Mollie’s dad returning to CA?
It’s odd to me because he has been so vocal and in the forefront advocating for anyone who has information to come forward. And yes, he can do this from CA, but it just seems odd that he would leave without Mollie. Without knowing her fate. I know he can return ASAP, but I just can’t wrap my head around why he’d leave. From what I read, he has a great job and money doesn’t seem to be an issue. The only think I can think of is that he needs a mental health break??

“Now, after a month of disseminating posters and helping to publicize Mollie's story, Tibbetts plans to fly home to the San Francisco area, still unsure why his silly, stubborn and charismatic daughter hasn't been found. He's reluctant, but those who have his best interest at heart said it's for his own well-being.

Recalling the past month, Tibbetts said he is heading home grateful to community members, law enforcement and reporters. He never thought hundreds of strangers would sacrifice so many hours of their own lives to assist in the search for Mollie.”
A month after Mollie Tibbetts disappeared, her father thanks an Iowa community for its compassion

Right. And even though I lean toward her disappearance relating to getting into a car with an acquaintance, my mind can’t forget all the theorizing on WS about Toni Anderson. She has people in her social circles that led people to suspect all kinds of foul play, it in the end, she had accidentally driven into a lake when it was dark, apparently believing an unmarked boat ramp was a road.

There is still a possibility MT had a medical emergency, like an asthma attack, and stumbled into a place where she has yet to be found...or tried to shortcut through a field to get to a house for medical help and succumbed to her breathing problems there. Bc we don’t have reason to believe she had a double life and we have no evidence of an abductor on video or blood/DNA, the simplest explanation could be that she had some sort of medical emergency or accident and will be discovered in time.

Yes I followed the Toni Anderson case BessDrew and I am still following it. I tried helping out too. So tragic. Anyway, I really don't think that Mollie had an asthma attack or something and stumbled. The only reason I say that is because LE searched with dogs and drones and found nothing. I would THINK they would have found her with all the drones and dogs.

Just caught up for the most part. Id like to ask everyone’s thoughts on Mollie’s dad returning to CA?
It’s odd to me because he has been so vocal and in the forefront advocating for anyone who has information to come forward. And yes, he can do this from CA, but it just seems odd that he would leave without Mollie. Without knowing her fate. I know he can return ASAP, but I just can’t wrap my head around why he’d leave. From what I read, he has a great job and money doesn’t seem to be an issue. The only think I can think of is that he needs a mental health break??

“Now, after a month of disseminating posters and helping to publicize Mollie's story, Tibbetts plans to fly home to the San Francisco area, still unsure why his silly, stubborn and charismatic daughter hasn't been found. He's reluctant, but those who have his best interest at heart said it's for his own well-being.

Recalling the past month, Tibbetts said he is heading home grateful to community members, law enforcement and reporters. He never thought hundreds of strangers would sacrifice so many hours of their own lives to assist in the search for Mollie.”
A month after Mollie Tibbetts disappeared, her father thanks an Iowa community for its compassion
I think it’s likely that he has exhausted every opportunity he has to help on the ground and has to also think about his commitments to others—other family members, sustaining his family financially, his workplace and medical insurance, and so on.

I am guessing that parents never give up the fight and remain ready to get on a plane and go help at a moment’s notice. But I bet they reach a point where they sadly have to accept there’s nothing else they can do other than raise awareness bc so much of the circumstance is beyond their control.

There comes a point where he simply can’t do much more, especially on the ground there, in Brooklyn. This case has generated more publicity than any family of a missing person could ever dream of. I’m sure he has obligations at home, and as you say, he can continue his efforts from there. He and Dalton have been tremendous advocates for Mollie, throughout this ordeal. Hopefully they get some answers soon.

Right. And even though I lean toward her disappearance relating to getting into a car with an acquaintance, my mind can’t forget all the theorizing on WS about Toni Anderson. Although she had people in her social circles that led sleuthers to suspect all kinds of foul play, it in the end, she had accidentally driven into a lake when it was dark, apparently believing an unmarked boat ramp was a road.

There is still a possibility MT had a medical emergency, like an asthma attack, or freak accident and stumbled into a place where she has yet to be found...or tried to shortcut through a field to get to a house for medical help and succumbed to her breathing problems there. Bc we don’t have reason to believe Mollie had a double life and because we also have no evidence of an abductor on video or any sign of Mollie’s blood/DNA, the simplest explanation could be that she had some sort of medical emergency or accident and will be discovered in time.

If she had a medical emergency, she had her phone. No need to try to take a shortcut through a field.

Someone upthread said harvest time starts soon, late Aug. I don’t think she’s in a cornfield. Too much effort to move about.

I doubt the cornfield theory.

a) Unless the perp went to the trouble of burying, vultures would have notified everyone.
b) in order to bury in a cornfield, perp could have to leave car unattended and possibly visible. So, would have to know ahead of time, i.e. before dark, of a lane in a cornfield to get deep enough into not to be visible to passersby. Corn rows are normally fairly close together so some plants would have to be disturbed and roots run deep. Looks like a good place, but I wonder how practical?
c) either way, perp could not be certain searchers would not walk the cornfields and discover ground had been disturbed.

BTW, I'm wondering if perp was not aware of impending storm and used to his advantage?

Yes I followed the Toni Anderson case BessDrew and I am still following it. I tried helping out too. So tragic. Anyway, I really don't think that Mollie had an asthma attack or something and stumbled. The only reason I say that is because LE searched with dogs and drones and found nothing. I would THINK they would have found her with all the drones and dogs.

Yeah, that’s why I am leaning toward an acquaintance related disappearance too. But I can’t forget that in some cases <modsnip: discussing other cases>, searches turn up nothing, and then the body is later discovered in an obscure spot no 1 noticed.

Good point. If they can log into her Apple store account, on any device, they can see previously downloaded apps I believe.
Her iTunes account is where recent downloads would be. It would be available on her laptop but probably is password protected.

Actually, in many cases of SK 's, there comes a time when they start slipping up and making careless mistakes, and eventually will slow down quite a bit or stop all together ( like Joseph Deangelo.) I believe the urge lessens with age although they may attempt to relive the feelings they had when they were committing crimes or save trophies or do milder things, not necessarily stay active committing actual crimes. Although there can also be several years between crimes, I believe the increased fear of getting caught, ( age slows alot of things down, including our minds.) there is generally a point when they " retire" Look at all the killers they have recently caught who have just been living among us for 20 years or so, and haven't been linked to any crimes since their last murder. For this reason I myself have ruled an older killer out, but you just never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamzie