Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cool.

Ya know, my iphone already does most of that. It counts my steps, gives gps location in real time, has an app that tracks my sleep habits etc. I can even set an alert to say get off the couch and walk around. I'm just not sure what fitbit would offer more except for novelty and the convenience of being a bracelet. I'm with the poster here that perhaps LE is using this to put fear in the perp.

In addition to my FitBit, I also use a running app on my Samsung phone, Nike running. And I was surprised one day when I realized the Samsung Health app was tracking my workouts as well. Smartphones are a treasure trove of our personal data. And believe you me, I turn off as many permissions as I can. Although, in light of our current discussion, I may reconsider turning some things back on...

My humble responses to your questions below based on what I know, having read through everything posted here so far:
About 75% caught up on posts... but not the last 25%. ;)

.....[SNIP
Mollies last post on twitter was 7/17/18 at 9:21pm (how does that fit into the timeline? And is that time zone specific?) and was about dropping a phone on a face... which is how the bf worded similarly falling asleep with phone on his face.....SNIP]

I don't believe this fits into timeline because tweet convo was on Tuesday, 7/17/18 and Mollie not reported missing until Thursday, 7/19/18. It was actually another individual that originated this 7/17/18 PM tweet about how it's worse (than you drop), if it's your BF that drops phone on your face. Mollie simply replied to this saying it's worse yet if this (phone drop) occurs when you're napping. The following morning, originator responded to Mollie with a name of one she thought capable of this (drop when napping), and the twitter convo ended.

I'm aware there's a "phone on my face" quote out there being attributed to Mollie's BF but I'm unaware if it was actually confirmed coming from him. I can see how the tweet you reference could be misconstrued, and attributed to the BF.

Wow, that's amazing! I wonder if FBI is using that technology that acts like a cell tower to capture data from all the phones in the area. "Overlay data with the real world"

Seems it could tell who she came into contact with as long as both had a cell signal. Is that correct?
This was exactly my thought. I'm willing to bet they receive all the SM data with a X mile radius and overlay it to determine who crossed paths with her on that day. It really could be some real life Numb3rs scenario playing out in this case.

Firstly, I want to say how grateful I am for the Websleuths community. Thank you all for your creative, thoughtful and insightful posts. This is the third time I have actively followed a case on the site. The last two were Vanessa Marcotte and Karina Vetrano in the summer of 2017. This case got my attention as it was initially reported as a missing jogger. I have read every single post in all three threads and I have an overwhelming feeling from everything that has been posted so far that Mollie has met with harm. I pray that I am wrong.

Secondly, as a runner, I am glad that Mollie had her Fitbit and phone with her. I've had my Fitbit Charge 2 for a year. It's fairly accurate. I haven't seen anyone post that the FitBit has a "friend" option as well. Someone at my office saw I wore a Fitbit and asked to "friend" me as she wears one as well. I honestly had no clue that option even existed. Anyway, I accepted her friendship on the app and this enables her to see how many steps I've taken and she can send me "cheers" and such. Here is a link from the FitBit site explaining how to connect with friends: Fitbit Help - How do I connect with friends on Fitbit?

Third, I have a very bad feeling about the corn. Too similar to the weeds Katrina Vetrano was found in. I have been trying to think of a way that the corn fields could be searched. I have seen others post that drones are not helpful to see something at ground level. Please forgive me if this idea seems simplistic or even nonsensical, but could a remote controlled car/vehicle be fitted with a GO PRO or camera and then be guided up and down the rows? This would be at ground level. Maybe the FBI has a robotic machine with a camera.

How much corn is there? I mean is it at all feasible for there to be volunteers going row by row in the region?

Yes, just drove by 3 times. Driving by one more time in maybe 20 mins. Got a couple curious pics of the vehicles on scene.

What are you seeing?

I know this has been discussed and a poster asked earlier but I have been unable to read responses. They asked how someone can be cleared if there is no evidence. I feel like in these situations the only way would be able to clear someone is if they aren’t certain company for example the brothers are with their mother or a friend is at home with her parents and they can prove that Otherwise it would be hard to clear someone if they still don’t know where she was at the time. Or who she was with.

They may have all taken and passed polygraphs.

I'm really confused by this too. Say I put my FitBit on in the morning and it's at 1,500 steps. If I walk 10,000 more steps that day, my FitBit APP won't show that until I open the app from my Iphone and give it a few seconds (sometimes longer!) to sync up. Then the FitBit app jumps up to 11,500 steps. This goes with all other data too. If they don't have her actual FitBit, they're logging into a FitBit dashboard or FitBit app. Right?! Now I'm just confusing myself. Am I missing something?

I don't have a FitBit, but I have an Apple Watch and wear a Garmin Foreunner (as well as the Apple Watch) for my runs. I do not run with my iPhone, FYI. I have a Garmin app - and when I return from my run my phone and watch do need to sync before my run/map/info are available. Syncing only happens within a few feet of the Garmin/watch together.

With Apple Watch, I sync my steps to a 3rd party app for my work benefits (we gain extra points for steps/runs, etc. to get discounts on our health insurance) and I have to open the app and refresh for the data to sync.

My oldest daughter has a FitBit - to the best of my knowledge with all these wearable devices, the phone linked to them needs to be within a certain distance of the actual wearable. And in some cases like 3rd party tracking apps and the Garmin app, the app needs to be opened on the phone for the data to sync. (note. . . sometimes my Garmin syncs as soon as I get near the phone...other times I need to open the app.....) The Garmin needs to be charged every 2 days, the Apple Watch daily....but the FitBit has about 1-2 weeks of life before it needs recharging. However, if she had an iPhone.....they don't last 1-2 weeks without recharging. Assuming she is not able to charge her phone....no data is syncing from any wearable device. In my opinion, any data they are receiving is old data.

Just my thoughts - sorry so wordy. Thanks for letting me chime in!

O/T: I promise I’m not being unusually stingy with my likes tonight - they are slow and sometimes don’t show up at all. But I like the ideas that continue to flow about this case and feel fortunate to be hanging with all of you super sleuths. :)

I really hope whoever took her is someone local. Otherwise, if it was someone out of the area and they left by means of the highway then the chances of locating her go way down. I don't mean to be negative, just realistic. On the other hand, sometimes they locate a body (sorry) just a few miles from where they disappeared from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
welsh98