Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"while running the city streets of Brooklyn, Iowa,"

Locals...what is considered the city center in Brooklyn?

(Ugh.. here I go again waiting for Wal-mart to come into this case somehow. Comes up in so many cases, IMO)

Although there are no signs of a struggle, this is somewhat reminiscent of TerriLynn St. John's case. She was outside her house like any normal day and got taken by someone who had beef with her and killed her. Maybe there was some SM comments/arguing going on and someone confronted her? I remember being 19-20, that stuff happens.

I don't know if anyone is interested, but not all Fitbit have GPS functionality. I think it is only Ionic and Surge. I know for a fact that my Alta does not have GPS so tracking it would not help at all.

Fitbit Help - Does my Fitbit device have GPS?
I have a Charge 2 and it does have GPS. I know you have to activate it to track a walk but if it has GPS I would imagine it would always be sending some kind of signal.

I lost track of the post I wanted to quote, but it was about the possibility of Mollie disappearing on her own.

Voluntary disappearance is possible, of course, but I don't think it's likely. Even if she wanted to venture off on her own without a trace, she doesn't seem the type to do that before the upcoming wedding of her boyfriend's brother and fiance. She would know that her disappearance would be upsetting to family and I can't imagine she would deliberately put a damper on the destination wedding and be that thoughtless. If she wanted to disappear (which I don't think she did), I think she would do it at another time - perhaps around the time of school starting when it didn't affect the wedding or her summer job...and when, perhaps, her disappearance wouldn't be noticed right away.

To me, this seems like an abduction and I'm holding on to hope that she escapes or is discovered soon.

jmopinion

good night everyone.

Father in Heaven, please hold in the palms of Your Hands Mollie's family and all other families who have a missing loved one. Please guide all those searching for Mollie so that she may be found soon.
Amen
Thank you for sharing your wonderful prayer with us. I will try to remember to think of it during the day & use it each night. Sadly, it's a prayer that could be used on WS again & again.

BBM: I literally (and sadly) live my life as if there is a danger lurking around every corner. This doesn't mean I don't go out and enjoy life...It just means I take as many precautions as I can to be safe.
Factually, there just are bad people in this world and nothing dictates whether they live in small town USA or a big city. Danger can and does happen everywhere, it does not discriminate!

Awfully, I can't think of any real scenario that gives me hope for Mollie's well being. My opinion only.

Same...always watching out for creeps. I've had some close calls.

I literally (and sadly) live my life as if there is a danger lurking around every corner. This doesn't mean I don't go out and enjoy life...It just means I take as many precautions as I can to be safe.
Factually, there just are bad people in this world and nothing dictates whether they live in small town USA or a big city. Danger can and does happen everywhere, it does not discriminate!
...snipped the above for focus.....

JMO
I am the same way. I was trained by my parents to be that way. It may be a little sad to have to take extra steps but I think its just being smart to take as many steps as possible to avoid becoming a victim in this day and age.

Whether its jogging safety tips or anything else I try to do as much as possible to be safe and avoid becoming a victim.

I even roll up my windows and lock my car doors the second I get IN my car. Because I read it was safer and you never know if someone will run up to your car while you are preparing to drive off. Also I read that if you get in a wreck the doors are less likely to fly open in a roll over if you lock your doors.

Some people think I go too far but I disagree and think Im just being cautious and safe as I can be.

Things can still happen to anyone but I want to make it as hard as possible on any criminal. I just installed new security cameras last month. They were very inexpensive, easy to install, no monthly fee, and wireless. I have 7 cameras now. LOL

MT disappeared much the same as Lindsey Baum (FOUND DECEASED - WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009). Not a trace. No usable clues. The cases aren't related in the least but a similarity is that LB disappeared while walking toward her home from a friend's house ~four blocks distanceand no one saw anything. Nothing showed on local surveillance cameras.

Unfortunately, more than eight years later LB's remains were located more than 100 miles east from where she was abducted. I don't expect a similar outcome (regarding distance) but given the time elapsed since the assumed abduction it is unrealistic to expect a positive rescue.

The only positive thought I can imagine is an assumed abductor is keeping her alive and she manages to escape but statistics might prove otherwise.

I'm not convinced she went missing when she was jogging just because her red shirt is missing and her contacts and glasses were left her boyfriends house still. She most likely didn't go running without her contacts but her family would know that for sure.

I think the idea of being safer in small, rural town is more of an illusion when dealing with abduction scenarios. I live in a suburb, not an actual urban area, but not small or rural like these places in Iowa. I went for my walk/run this morning and went about 5 miles in my area. I made a point of looking around with Mollie's potential abduction in mind. The entire time - over 1 hour - I was never in a place where I didn't see other people either in their yards, driving by in a car, walking or running etc. So if someone wanted to grab me and didn't care if someone else saw, then sure. There wouldn't be much anyone could do to stop it. But for those perps looking to isolate and grab a victim of opportunity while they are alone, the chances seem less than in a rural area. We also have a 30+ mile long bike path used for biking and running. The times I've been on that it has never been without lots of other people. Of course more populated areas come with a host of potential dangers. I'm not trying to say one place is "better" than another. It's just there has been a lot of talk about how the small town is the last hope for a safe place to live. In many cases that is true. But for someone looking to grab a victim off the street with minimal risk of witness, the small town may be more risky than larger places.

Last edited:
I lost track of the post I wanted to quote, but it was about the possibility of Mollie disappearing on her own.

Voluntary disappearance is possible, of course, but I don't think it's likely. Even if she wanted to venture off on her own without a trace, she doesn't seem the type to do that before the upcoming wedding of her boyfriend's brother and fiance. She would know that her disappearance would be upsetting to family and I can't imagine she would deliberately put a damper on the destination wedding and be that thoughtless. If she wanted to disappear (which I don't think she did), I think she would do it at another time - perhaps around the time of school starting when it didn't affect the wedding or her summer job...and when, perhaps, her disappearance wouldn't be noticed right away.

To me, this seems like an abduction and I'm holding on to hope that she escapes or is discovered soon.

jmopinion
My thoughts exactly. I just dont think she’d ever do that.

I have a Charge 2 and it does have GPS. I know you have to activate it to track a walk but if it has GPS I would imagine it would always be sending some kind of signal.

The Charge 2 doesn't have GPS. The phone does, how it works is once you activate it, the Fitbit is using your phone both to get your location and eventually send data (location, heart rate, pace, etc.) to the Fitbit servers.

I'm not convinced she went missing when she was jogging just because her red shirt is missing and her contacts and glasses were left her boyfriends house still. She most likely didn't go running without her contacts but her family would know that for sure.

Her Mom said during an interview that she couldn't see at all w/out them, so I'm sure that's correct.

And I don’t see her going out jogging in the shirt she had to wear the whole day.

Poweshiek County Missing Person Update

"

BROOKLYN, Iowa
-- On July 19, 2018, twenty-year-old Mollie Tibbetts, of Brooklyn, Iowa was reported missing by her family. She was last seen on July 18 at approximately 7:30 PM while running the city streets of Brooklyn. Her last known article of clothing is believed to be dark colored running shorts, a pink sports top and running shoes, color unknown.

At this time, no person has been identified as a suspect nor has anyone been arrested or criminally charged for her disappearance. The joint investigation by the Iowa Department of Public Safety’s Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI), the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Iowa State Patrol, the Brooklyn Volunteer Fire Department and a host of local law enforcement agencies continue to look into her disappearance. With the aide of the public, investigative leads continue to be investigated and a multitude of individuals have been interviewed. Additionally, a number of searches have been conducted to include ground, air and K-9 searches.

"

When I was Mollie's age, I walked in all kinds of places, including out in the country, and sometimes late at night (10 pm or later on occasions). This was years ago, long before cell phones and Fitbits. I occasionally got a bit creeped out but nothing too bad. A few times a man would drive by way too sloooowly and I'd flip them the bird. Now looking back I think I was insane. Following this case does make me consider security cameras or other ways to ensure that if something like this ever happened to my kids, there would at least hopefully be a strong trail of data for the cops to use. Several pages back there was a discussion of microchipping people. Honestly I would consider it if it would work -- but it wouldn't. Think about it. It's not the same as GPS. You can't go on an app and see the location of your microchipped dog or cat. It's only helpful if the pet is found and brought to a vet clinic, where they use a handheld scanner. It's basically just an internal ID tag that, unlike one on a collar, can't fall off.

"

BROOKLYN, Iowa
-- On July 19, 2018, twenty-year-old Mollie Tibbetts, of Brooklyn, Iowa was reported missing by her family. She was last seen on July 18 at approximately 7:30 PM while running the city streets of Brooklyn. Her last known article of clothing is believed to be dark colored running shorts, a pink sports top and running shoes, color unknown.

At this time, no person has been identified as a suspect nor has anyone been arrested or criminally charged for her disappearance. The joint investigation by the Iowa Department of Public Safety’s Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI), the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Iowa State Patrol, the Brooklyn Volunteer Fire Department and a host of local law enforcement agencies continue to look into her disappearance. With the aide of the public, investigative leads continue to be investigated and a multitude of individuals have been interviewed. Additionally, a number of searches have been conducted to include ground, air and K-9 searches.

"

Yeesh. I'm worried that they are getting to the point where they have run through their strongest leads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadstrangepod