Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm super skeptical of the reporting in this case as it keeps changing and things keep coming and going from the reports. That bit about returning safely IS new but is counter to things LE have been quoted as saying so until it's confirmed in other reporting I'm wondering if it's accurate...

Yeah, it seems a lot of times we have reporters working off of other news reports and it just gets passed along as fact. Sort of like the experiment in school where you would start with a phrase at one end of the class and whisper it to the person next to you and by the time you got to the last person the whole phrase changed.

Last edited:
I definitely would not call it 100% certainty. The article switches from quoting him to saying more generally that "they" know she returned after the run, but I haven't seen that as a direct quote or reported anywhere else. Everything else I've seen has said they weren't sure about that.

Exactly! The article doesn't name anyone you could point to and say: "that person thinks she returned home after her run."

""We are one week into the investigation. Mollie disappeared last Wednesday evening on July 18th. Ever since then the investigation has been at full speed. We feel pretty confident with the timeline we've put together and the direction of travel she was going when she was on her run," said Mitch Mortvedt with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

Mortvedt says Mollie was dropped off at her boyfriend's home by her older brother Jake at 5:30PM on Wednesday. They now know Mollie went on a run around 7:30-8PM and returned to that home safely."

So we know %100 for certain she was taken/left Wednesday after 8:00 PM sometime?

What??? I need to catch up before posting anything else.

That they know she returned home safely after her run, about 8:00 pm. I'm actually not going to believe that until it's confirmed--it goes contrary to other recent reports, and it's not particularly attributed to anyone, although we might assume that Mortvedt said it. I don't trust journalists to get anything accurate.
The sheriff has accurate info. He stated that the last time she was seen was 7:45pm running.

Coming out with a hard timeline that would include her timestamped comms would reveal what they have been able to reconstruct from pulls off electronic devices, wireless subpoena returns, data backups, CCTV footage ... and interviews. They may see a benefit in keeping all that parked in the penumbra for now instead of allowing someone to dovetail it into an alibi or use it to falsely accuse someone else.

It is disturbing to me how many people use an unvetted FB feed as their primary source of factual daily news.

Well eye witness accounts are deemed the least reliable. He may have seen Mollie on another day in a pink sports bra
I think it's so positive and shows that LE has made progress with their investigation that they've now told the public they've been able to refine some of the details from when Mollie was last seen: where she ran (on city streets, not out on rural roads by fields), and what she was wearing (a pink top, not a black sports bra).

On another note, I have to apologize to everyone for posting speculation on this thread earlier about someone close to Mollie who has been cleared as a suspect by LE. I understand LE's request to please stop feeding rumors on SM, that is such a slippery slope, with the one positive with online conversations being how much everyone just wants to help find Mollie and get to the bottom of what happened to her... but things can easily spin out when emotions are running high. Sorry I slipped up on the TOS, moderators, and thank you for setting me straight.

Last edited:
Well unless she went running yet again which seems really unlikely it really moves the idea that she was snatched on a run or hit by a car way down the possibility list. I’m not sure what to make of this new info.
Can we talk about the dogs for a bit? Could she have returned home and then took the dogs for a walk or spent time with them outdoors and someone noticed her?

If I recall, the dogs were found in the basement. Was that their normal nighttime place to be?

jmo

Well unless she went running yet again which seems really unlikely it really moves the idea that she was snatched on a run or hit by a car way down the possibility list. I’m not sure what to make of this new info.

Well, we still have the assumption that she was going to have dinner at her mother's place, a mile away. So, abduction or being hit by a car in the course of that trip is just as possible as it ever was.

Can we talk about the dogs for a bit? Could she have returned home and then took the dogs for a walk or spent time with them outdoors and someone noticed her?

If I recall, the dogs were found in the basement. Was that their normal nighttime place to be?

jmo

My understanding from these threads and the various news reports is that the dogs were normally put in the basement when they were going to be left alone.

The sheriff has accurate info. He stated that the last time she was seen was 7:45pm running.

I really don't know if this info is accurate or not.
But The sheriff's info about her last being SEEN at 7:45 could be absolutely accurate.
There could be evidence that she returned to the house after being seen.

Its all confusing

Well, we still have the assumption that she was going to have dinner at her mother's place, a mile away. So, abduction or being hit by a car in the course of that trip is just as possible as it ever was.
This is true. I guess I was thinking she had already missed dinner at her mom’s by 8:00. I need a timeline on the wall to keep things straight.

Updated 2 hrs 3 mins ago
Missing college student Mollie Tibbetts: A timeline

"I read somewhere that she was running in a cornfield. That's obviously not true," Kim Calderwood, her aunt, said. "The run happened and then she was at the house as far as we know. I don't think she would've run in the dark."

Family and friends expand the search for Mollie Tibbetts

"We are one week into the investigation. Mollie disappeared last Wednesday evening on July 18th. Ever since then the investigation has been at full speed. We feel pretty confident with the timeline we've put together and the direction of travel she was going when she was on her run," said Mitch Mortvedt with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

Mortvedt says Mollie was dropped off at her boyfriend's home by her older brother Jake at 5:30PM on Wednesday. They now know Mollie went on a run around 7:30-8PM and returned to that home safely.

So, there's two different sources that she returned home safely. I know I was of mind something happened while running, and it's hard to leave that completely. But I try to keep an open mind to all scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadstrangepod