Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm no expert, but I thought with pets you can track their location. Maybe someone else can offer some more information as I'm not 100% sure.
My dog is chipped and I can't track his location but if he gets lost and someone finds him, takes him to the vet to get scanned it will tell them who is owners are and how to reach them.

Phew
It has taken hours to read and catch up, even having perhaps skipped a pages back Thread 1 and/or 2.
Tip of hat to site Moderators, Administrators and Long Timers for helping to guide.

After reaching latest post, closing eyes a moment and exhaling, a thought coalesced.

Within the small population of the small town is a smaller group of people Mollie saw and interacted, not just workers at the center but more specifically the parents of her charges, the children she cared for. It is not too much a stretch to imagine there could be shared information knowing Mollie's home arrangement, off work activities and coincidentally driving by and not being a stranger.
Just wondering if some attention may be needed towards that group of individuals in addition to unknowns.

My dog’s microchip only allows someone with a scanner (the pound, a vet, etc.) to scan it and receive my contact info. I can also log on and see if his chip has been scanned. It doesn’t have GPS technology.

That is the same for us our dogs are chipped however the chip can only be used as a way to identify us as the owner and I believe it also contains shot records if I remember correctly

But based on your info, white women are more appealing and therefore traffickers can charge more money right? I’m not saying Mollie was trafficked. Just topic for discussion since new info is slow moving atm.

No. The money they could get is not worth it. Prostitutes are overwhelmingly, and I mean incredibly, overwhelmingly, vulnerable populations - people who are migrants and don't speak the language, people with serious addition or mental health issues, kids from extreme dysfunction and backgrounds of abuse. I think it's something like 65% of prostitutes were foster kids. About 60% of prostitutes were sexually abused as children. Some don;t even realize that it was abuse.

These are victims easy to control.

You get an educated, privileged young woman, from a happy family and snatch her off the street and try to sell her? She's going to fight hard. She's going to know her rights more often than not. She's going to have the world hunting for her.

It's not worth the risk.

Like I said, almost anything is possible, but I will eat my hat if it is the case here.

In the end, what I've found is there is white slavery narrative that informs the sex trafficking theory. It is a narrative used by people like Sherri Papini to alarm the public. It has its roots in racism (research the Mann act) and is based on the premise that beautiful, young, upper, middle class white women and girls are prey for violent men of color or foreigners.

It was actually (the Mann Act and the white slavery myth that was based on), designed in part to prevent white women from dating or marrying black men and in part as a backlash against feminism.
The ‘White Slavery’ Law That Brought Down Jack Johnson Is Still in Effect Today

So because it is not rooted in fact, I like to discuss the facts when the theory inevitably comes up.

Caveat, my B.A. is in American Studies so this stuff fascinates me.

Phew
It has taken hours to read and catch up, even having perhaps skipped a pages back Thread 1 and/or 2.
Tip of hat to site Moderators, Administrators and Long Timers for helping to guide.

After reaching latest post, closing eyes a moment and exhaling, a thought coalesced.

Within the small population of the small town is a smaller group of people Mollie saw and interacted, not just workers at the center but more specifically the parents of her charges, the children she cared for. It is not too much a stretch to imagine there could be shared information knowing Mollie's home arrangement, off work activities and coincidentally driving by and not being a stranger.
Just wondering if some attention may be needed towards that group of individuals in addition to unknowns.
I’d imagine nobody is a stranger in these small towns.

Phew

Like someone else mentioned upthread, this case reminds me of Vanessa Marcotte in Massachusetts. She went out for a jog and never came home. (LE did find her body the same day she went missing, IIRC). In Vanessa's case, the perp was someone from a nearby town who happened to be driving on the road Vanessa was jogging on and he grabbed her. He was young, but married and with a couple of kids IIRC. He didn't know Vanessa.

I get the same vibe from this case. At this point, my hunch it is the perp is someone from the Brooklyn, Iowa area, but not necessarily from that particular town and not someone in her circle.

Of course, my hunch is based on what we know now...subject to change as we learn more.

jmo

Maybe Mollie also had MobileTrack.

Fitbit Help - How do I use MobileTrack?

That's cool.

Ya know, my iphone already does most of that. It counts my steps, gives gps location in real time, has an app that tracks my sleep habits etc. I can even set an alert to say get off the couch and walk around. I'm just not sure what fitbit would offer more except for novelty and the convenience of being a bracelet. I'm with the poster here that perhaps LE is using this to put fear in the perp.

That's cool.

Ya know, my iphone already does most of that. It counts my steps, gives gps location in real time, has an app that tracks my sleep habits etc. I can even set an alert to say get off the couch and walk around. I'm just not sure what fitbit would offer more except for novelty and the convenience of being a bracelet. I'm with the poster here that perhaps LE is using this to put fear in the perp.

From a previous article.....I think LE is trying to pair Mollie's location with those she had contact with on social media around the time of the last location read on the FitBit, IMO.

"You can actually overlay the location data with the real world to find out what exactly happened," Thomas Yohannan, an expert on data recovery. "You are essentially trying to find a witness to the events that happened leading up to her missing person."

No. The money they could get is not worth it. Prostitutes are overwhelmingly, and I mean incredibly, overwhelmingly, vulnerable populations - people who are migrants and don't speak the language, people with serious addition or mental health issues, kids from extreme dysfunction and backgrounds of abuse. I think it's something like 65% of prostitutes were foster kids. About 60% of prostitutes were sexually abused as children. Some don;t even realize that it was abuse.

These are victims easy to control.

You get an educated, privileged young woman, from a happy family and snatch her off the street and try to sell her? She's going to fight hard. She's going to know her rights more often than not. She's going to have the world hunting for her.

It's not worth the risk.

Like I said, almost anything is possible, but I will eat my hat if it is the case here.

In the end, what I've found is there is white slavery narrative that informs the sex trafficking theory. It is a narrative used by people like Sherri Papini to alarm the public. It has its roots in racism (research the Mann act) and is based on the premise that beautiful, young, upper, middle class white women and girls are prey for violent men of color or foreigners.

It was actually (the Mann Act and the white slavery myth that was based on), designed in part to prevent white women from dating or marrying black men and in part as a backlash against feminism.
The ‘White Slavery’ Law That Brought Down Jack Johnson Is Still in Effect Today

So because it is not rooted in fact, I like to discuss the facts when the theory inevitably comes up.

Caveat, my B.A. is in American Studies so this stuff fascinates me.
The site went belly up for me so just getting back to editing this lol. All I can say is dysfunction comes in all shapes, sizes and colors. It doesn't matter if your family lives in poverty or if you come from money. (If you're appealing to someone) anybody, almost anywhere can be targeted either by trickery or by force. The stigma of violent crimes against African Americans and people of color is changing in this country if it wasn't apparent by the media coverage of cases like Trayvon Martin and etc, not that he's entirely related but it is changing, slowly.

Last edited:
Actually, that shows that 48 people have gone missing here in Iowa in the past TEN DAYS! There are over 60 people reported missing in Iowa this month alone. Go to this link, then click on "All Missing", then click on "Sort by most recent" date. I was just getting ready to share this link when I saw your post. Here's the link: Missing Persons

Firstly, I want to say how grateful I am for the Websleuths community. Thank you all for your creative, thoughtful and insightful posts. This is the third time I have actively followed a case on the site. The last two were Vanessa Marcotte and Karina Vetrano in the summer of 2017. This case got my attention as it was initially reported as a missing jogger. I have read every single post in all three threads and I have an overwhelming feeling from everything that has been posted so far that Mollie has met with harm. I pray that I am wrong.

Secondly, as a runner, I am glad that Mollie had her Fitbit and phone with her. I've had my Fitbit Charge 2 for a year. It's fairly accurate. I haven't seen anyone post that the FitBit has a "friend" option as well. Someone at my office saw I wore a Fitbit and asked to "friend" me as she wears one as well. I honestly had no clue that option even existed. Anyway, I accepted her friendship on the app and this enables her to see how many steps I've taken and she can send me "cheers" and such. Here is a link from the FitBit site explaining how to connect with friends: Fitbit Help - How do I connect with friends on Fitbit?

Third, I have a very bad feeling about the corn. Too similar to the weeds Katrina Vetrano was found in. I have been trying to think of a way that the corn fields could be searched. I have seen others post that drones are not helpful to see something at ground level. Please forgive me if this idea seems simplistic or even nonsensical, but could a remote controlled car/vehicle be fitted with a GO PRO or camera and then be guided up and down the rows? This would be at ground level. Maybe the FBI has a robotic machine with a camera.

Ty so much, she has responded so well to counseling and low dose medication. I didn’t want to squash her courage to do something she would have recently refused to do. Ahhhh parenting is not for the faint of heart for sure! Blessings to you!!

You know I had social anxiety very badly as a child as well. Well, as a teen. I was okay as a child but it got bad in my teen years. At a certain point I missed a ton of school because I dreaded going. I got sick to my stomach. Then I became agoraphobic and couldn't leave the house for awhile.

Now I am an attorney, so it absolutely can turn around!!! But I know what your kid is going through and I feel for her.

Whoever said that not giving into it and constantly pushing yourself is a huge part of overcoming it is right. Difficult but it works.

A Pet GPS tracker is not a "chip" injected in to a pet. GPS trackers require power and are active devices. They have a battery, integrated circuit(s) (ICs) and antenna that 'triangulate' GPS satellite signals to calculate a location. This capability is not possible in a "chip" as we know it. Pet GPS trackers are configured as a collar device.

Right. I have a client whose ex is a psychopathic drunk. But he gets their kid every other weekend because the court doesn't seem to care. He is not allowed to drink around the child but we know he does. We want to catch him but PI's are expensive. So I researched GPS.

They have them but they seem too big and obvious and not totally waterproof (even when they say they are). Most are like watches. They need to make small and effective ones that can be worn like lockets. What I've found isn't great:

2018 Best Wearable GPS Tracking Devices for Kids | SafeWise

Mini Real-time GPS Tracker Personal Tracking Device Waterproof Long Standby SG | eBay

https://www.amazon.com/Tracker-Necklace-Monitor-Tracking-Silver/dp/B073GZZ7WD

https://www.google.com/amp/s/whotv....thers-boyfriend-cleared-in-investigation/amp/

As in any investigation like this, those who are the closest to Mollie have been interviewed. Everybody within her family, boyfriend, at this point, we don't feel has any involvement in her disappearance” said Assistant Director of DCI Field Operations Mitchell Mortvedt.

Wow. That's pretty definitive I feel. I believe it's true.

I would like to invite everyone to say a prayer again together today. For Molly her family and friends and all others who are missing today let’s not forget about them. God is good.

Aww. That's a sweet post. Especially including all others who are missing. Will do.

That's cool.

The MobileTrack app would be helpful in a situation where one doesn’t have their FitBit with them.

DOES MOBILETRACK WORK IF I'M NOT LOGGED IN TO THE FITBIT APP?
Yes. Once you set up MobileTrack, your phone tracks your steps regardless of whether you're logged into the app. Log in to the app when you want to see your progress.

HOW LONG DOES MY PHONE STORE DATA?
Assuming your phone is frequently connected to the internet, your phone always stores data for the last seven days (including today). If you do not have an internet connection for weeks or even months, your phone will store your data until you connect to the internet and sync your data.

From a previous article.....I think LE is trying to pair Mollie's location with those she had contact with on social media around the time of the last location read on the FitBit, IMO.

"You can actually overlay the location data with the real world to find out what exactly happened," Thomas Yohannan, an expert on data recovery. "You are essentially trying to find a witness to the events that happened leading up to her missing person."

Wow, that's amazing! I wonder if FBI is using that technology that acts like a cell tower to capture data from all the phones in the area. "Overlay data with the real world"

Seems it could tell who she came into contact with as long as both had a cell signal. Is that correct?

That's cool.

In addition to my FitBit, I also use a running app on my Samsung phone, Nike running. And I was surprised one day when I realized the Samsung Health app was tracking my workouts as well. Smartphones are a treasure trove of our personal data. And believe you me, I turn off as many permissions as I can. Although, in light of our current discussion, I may reconsider turning some things back on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak