Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to think about the time frame as well:
  • Sunset on July 18 was 8:41 with darkness at around 9:15. Sunrise and sunset times in Grinnell, IA - July 2018
  • The time frame LE are seeking info at the red hot spots is between the hours of 5 PM to 10 PM
  • Therefore, there were only 45 minutes in darkness during the window of interest
If you think about it, 45 minutes of darkness is not a long time, and that may rule out some scenarios and make others more likely.

As an example it seems unlikely to me that it would leave enough time for Mollie to get picked up one way or another, have a talk, mini-date, or for things to go horribly wrong. Then more time for someone to hide Mollie one way or another, then think about all the consequences and even begin to plan covering a trail then race back to the car wash for clean-up, however long the car wash is open.

I think it also means LE don't believe she is being held near those hotspots (else why only care about them until 10 PM?)

This makes me think LE is after car wash and truck stop sitings for some other reason than a perp is washing away evidence.

So for all of the hotspots, why is 10 pm the latest LE would be interested? Also the perp could only be in one spot at one time. This suggests the window in darkness has to be 15-30 minutes more narrow at some of the hot spots.

My initial thoughts were they are thinking a truck driver, or transient who stops by truck stops, took her, but it could be something of investigative value was thought to have been captured on video surveillance as well.

Wouldn’t it be wise to take a portion of the reward money to hire pi’s or world renown psychics? It wouldn’t hurt imo
Do not feel bad by posing this question. It is a valid question and you shouldn't be humiliated for asking it. As for me, I would use whatever tools were available, and that would include psychics and PI's. There are cases where psychics have helped - there are many more where PI's have helped. Many people do not believe in psychics, and that's ok. Many people are born with a sixth sense - I am familiar with the pain of this "blessing". The difference is some people abuse it by charging money and taking advantage of others. It's a gift and should be treated as such. (No, I'm not crazy and uneducated. I'm actually college educated, retired from a high-level career, and married to a retired state LE - totally normal.) :)

Picture this: She's out running, there is a weather alert, she cuts her trip short. I would.
I'd take a serious look at weather related route changes, except, as another posted stated, the tornadoes were the following day. I do, however, worry that those rains worked in the perps favor. Drainage ditches are a real concern for me. So no, we cannot discount the weather IMO.

She went missing on the 18th. Not sure why the forum is marked 19th.
She was not considered missing until the 19th. She was last seen on the 18th. Does not mean she could not have been somewhere perfectly normal all night, like at home. She just never had any communication after the night of the 18th. Which could be the reason LE is saying they did not receive any credible communication after that time. What if she made it home, did some homework, sent the snapchat, and went to sleep? Got up the next morning as usual, fed the dogs, locked them downstairs and went to leave. We don't know she never made it back home that night. Just that she was incommunicado from the morning of the 19th on.

Picture this: She's out running, there is a weather alert, she cuts her trip short. I would.
Or she was already at home, as was originally stated, and she left to go get the car before the storm came....possibly even catching a ride with someone she knew....who had bad intentions?? I asked earlier what time the storms started because Im curious why she would be out jogging/walking if its storming.

I'm in my 20s and was on a jog getting pretty winded the other day and just started walking. I may have looked in pain or something. A female ~50 years old offered to pick me up and said, "Do you need a ride?" I told her thank you but I was fine and kept running.

People mean well but you never know what can happen anymore. The question is- would MT have gone in the car?

As far as "working girls/men", I have been around many truckstops and other places. I have brought huge men having PTSD meltdowns from combat out of some really seedy places.
Having slept at truckstops more times than I can count, these women/men are victims of their own addictions and their own mental issues almost all of the time. They are referred to as lot lizards and chicken-heads (because they are assumed to "gobble" up crack like a chicken does its feed).
I like to refer to them simply as "humans". Broken in many ways?
Yes.
Human and worthy of my compassion and outreach?
Certainly.
Just saying and my own experienced opinion.

Good post. I've been otherwise occupied and not able to follow quite closely but have peeked occasionally.

I have had a running (unfortunate) thought of a possible scenario, and PTSD could possibly play a part. Could we possibly have a person or more involved with abilities and a skill set learned from serving our country but have found themselves now in a terribly problematic mess?

I pose the thought with the utmost sensitivity.

Such a scenario may also help explain the federal LE presence, little known evidence and additionally why info is so tightly guarded.

I agree with others proposing MT having a familiarity with possible perp(s), be it local (school/work), having wondered about daycare parents in particuliar (much can be "gleaned" in just few minutes while dropping off, picking up child)

MOO of course and just several rabbit hole ideas to peer into as case continues. 30 Threads!

Does anyone local know - do the State LE and detectives actively work this case on weekends? Or are they at a reduced staff - just someone taking calls?

Need to think about the time frame as well:
  • Sunset on July 18 was 8:41 with darkness at around 9:15. Sunrise and sunset times in Grinnell, IA - July 2018
  • The time frame LE are seeking info at the red hot spots is between the hours of 5 PM to 10 PM
  • Therefore, there were only 45 minutes in darkness during the window of interest
If you think about it, 45 minutes of darkness is not a long time, and that may rule out some scenarios and make others more likely.

As an example it seems unlikely to me that it would leave enough time for Mollie to get picked up one way or another, have a talk, mini-date, or for things to go horribly wrong. Then more time for someone to hide Mollie one way or another, then think about all the consequences and even begin to plan covering a trail then race back to the car wash for clean-up, however long the car wash is open. (Therefore it seems unlikely they want witnesses to a car washing at the car wash.)

I think it also means LE don't believe she is being held near those hotspots (else why only care about them until 10 PM?)

This makes me think LE is after car wash and truck stop sitings for some other reason than a perp is washing away evidence.

So for all of the hotspots, why is 10 pm the latest LE would be interested? Also the perp could only be in one spot at one time. This suggests the window in darkness has to be 15-30 minutes more narrow at some of the hot spots.
This is a very productive post. Thank you!!

I don't think there was a weather alert there. Just rain on and off, which were heavy downpours over night until early the next morning.

Or she was already at home, as was originally stated, and she left to go get the car before the storm came....possibly even catching a ride with someone she knew....who had bad intentions?? I asked earlier what time the storms started because Im curious why she would be out jogging/walking if its storming.

I’ve lived in Nebraska. Have Family there. They talk about weather *constantly*. Especially my farming family. She’d have known it was going to rain overnight/next day. I think she would have had a plan to get the car that night.

I'm at wit's end with this case. I really thought it would be solved by now. Such a small town, you're not looking at a dense metro area. I pray she is found alive. My heart goes out to her mother and father.

I'm at wit's end with this case. I really thought it would be solved by now. Such a small town, you're not looking at a dense metro area. I pray she is found alive. My heart goes out to her mother and father.
I agree especially with this occurring in a small town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia