Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Occam's Razor is often overdone in these cases. We always hear, "What are the chances of it being some stranger predator", yet, Mickey Shunick, Hannah Graham, Karina Vetrano, Vanessa Marcotte, and so many many more (likely including the Delphi & Evansdale murders). There were three murders of opportunity in my town within 9 months, all women, two by the same person who did not know the victims and likely would have continued to kill, and one that remains unsolved and was done by someone spine-chillingly unhinged and it's unlikely he (she) knew the victim.

I don't think this has to be someone who knew or met Mollie, stalked her, watched her for a time, or had an axe to grind for her disappearance to make sense, and as many have pointed out, the closer (in relationship) any perpetrator may have been to her, the more likely LE would/might have someone in custody by now.
LE doesn’t move on an arrest until the DA advises they have enough to try and convict. Often times, even with a rush, the lab results hold up the silver braceleting.

Absolutely. Police reported a "ping" 10 miles SE of Brooklyn, so Mollie was not abducted by someone on foot or on a bicycle.

Oh, I didn't know that. So there is NO way she couldn't have been abducted on foot (even if the perp came back later) UNLESS the perp left her there and took her phone with him to make it look like she was with him and then he went back later to get her and take her somewhere else less conspicuous. But that seems pretty far fetched, especially when you can just grab her put her in your car and leave. Thanks for that info. otto.

I am NOT JUDGING in any way here- not at all. I am a mother and cannot fathom what the parents must be going through. I have wondered (again- not judged!) her mother’s lack of interviews and her father’s presence out front with the media. Maybe this explains it- she would give away something LE told her...

Well it figures I just got started today and already my post ends up in a broken quote. What I had said was in response to the idea of her body being found in a cornfield or in the area of the searches. Since this is where the cell phone pings occurred, we can assume the perp possibly stopped there to destroy or turn off the phone. If he did this, and is aware this could be the last location LE tracked it down, why would he hide the body in the same general area? It could be that LE ended those initial searchers because they have reason to believe a body would not be found there. It just doesn't seem likely a perp would want to dispose of a body in the same place this type of evidence could be found. He would want to take it further away, where it cannot be traced. And he had overnight to do that in the cover of darkness.

This information has been posted here before, but here it is again:

"This is a new arena for us. That's part of the reason we called the FBI in. It's probably pretty new to them, too," Mitch Mortvedt, spokesman for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, told CNN. "I don't know of another case here in Iowa where we have used specifically Fitbit info."

When her Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortvedt said."

Everything We Know About The Disappearance Of Iowa College Student Mollie Tibbetts

I believe the word "ping" references a digital signature. Police admit that this is a "new arena" for them, and they may not use the best words to reference the digital evidence.

Shoot. This case gets so confusing and I start forgetting what I have already read and what I have already posted. I think this has been posted already more than 2 times in all the threads. Thanks for posting it again otto. So there is no way MT could have been taken on foot because her Fitbit pinged 10 miles SE of the house where she was last seen.

I am NOT JUDGING in any way here- not at all. I am a mother and cannot fathom what the parents must be going through. I have wondered (again- not judged!) her mother’s lack of interviews and her father’s presence out front with the media. Maybe this explains it- she would give away something LE told her...

Or - more likely - they decided on the father being the (main) spokesperson for the family?

Well it figures I just got started today and already my post ends up in a broken quote. What I had said was in response to the idea of her body being found in a cornfield or in the area of the searches. Since this is where the cell phone pings occurred, we can assume the perp possibly stopped there to destroy or turn off the phone. If he did this, and is aware this could be the last location LE tracked it down, why would he hide the body in the same general area? It could be that LE ended those initial searchers because they have reason to believe a body would not be found there. It just doesn't seem likely a perp would want to dispose of a body in the same place this type of evidence could be found. He would want to take it further away, where it cannot be traced. And he had overnight to do that in the cover of darkness.

I agree MsBetsy

JMO I do not think she was taken more than 30-45 minutes away, at most. Too many things could go “wrong” for a perp, driving with a live person in his vehicle, even if subdued. Pulled over, an accident, she escapes etc...he would get clear of town and houses and find an isolated spot, of which there must be many. JMO
I agree

You’d be surprised how much canopy cover there is in 15” row planted soybeans. 2-3’ feet tall with leafs on the top, lots of room underneath.

No, I wouldn't. I walked beans in high school. Mostly 30" rows back then, which was nice. Then they started drilling them, which wasn't so nice. Still, it was easier work and better pay than detasseling corn. I don't think anybody walks beans anymore.

Anyway, good point if the bean field was planted in rows. Pretty much everyone around here drills them but I know that's not universal.

Probably, but if you just use the vacuum or the dumpster, it MIGHT not be a problem?

Trident, but if that was the case I would think someone in the area would have seen a big semi (even without the trailer and just the cab) come through, stop at the car wash and head out. I would think it would make quite a lot of noise. JMO>

I think she gave several interviews but her husband is just the better spokesman. I also think she may be dealing with this more emotionally than RT. He is used to dealing with the public more and has a different approach.

I’m revisiting my original theory - one I set aside for a bit. This may be far-fetched and my own opinion.

She goes off with someone she met online or somewhere. It’s planned ahead and maybe was for something fun - like sitting on a gravel road and talking and having a beer or something. Somewhere we people you know wouldn’t find out.

It’s time to go back to the house but the person takes her in another direction and kidnaps her and takes her to a commune, cult or some other “protected type place” - NOT sex trafficking but more like recruiting. The FBI monitors these types of groups and could be part of why they were brought in.

Could this be known to the her dad? Or the FBI and that is why they are being careful and tight-lipped now - calling off searches, etc. And the dad thinks she’s coming back because they are trying to figure out where she is and how to extricate her?

I am in agreement with the simplest answer is usually THE answer - so believing my own theory above is questionable for me, but at going on 5 weeks and the demeanor of the dad, I thought I should just put this out here. MOO

It’s not likely at all that anybody could abduct her along her route without somebody seeing or hearing something. Anybody familiar with the area would know this and not even consider doing so. The only starting point that seems likely at all is Mollie willingly getting into a car with someone she knows, something that happens every day in this area.
I disagree. Johnny gosch & others were taken in much larger towns in Iowa in broad daylight & it’s still unsolved . If you’ve ever been to Brooklyn you’d know a lot of people mind their own business & could easily miss her being snatched. Imo

Last edited:
LE doesn’t move on an arrest until the DA advises they have enough to try and convict. Often times, even with a rush, the lab results hold up the silver braceleting.
I understand the relationship between the two agencies, I'm saying that anyone could do this, most certainly a stranger who never laid eyes on her before. And I do think LE's behavior and focus is one that suggests this is someone they have not yet singled out.

I disagree. Johnny gosch & other people were taken in much larger towns than Iowa in broad daylight & no one saw anything. If you’ve ever been to Brooklyn you’d know a lot of people mind their own business & could easily miss her being snatched. Imo

Iowa is a state. Oh, and Johnny Gosch was taken in Iowa.

I'm hoping there's a typo in there somewhere.

I think the LEOS should ask all employers to send a list of names of employees male and female so not to discriminate based on sex. But ask them to send a list of all persons. whom called in sick day or emergency personal day, vacation day etc on the day before, the day of and the day after...................Does anyone know for a fact, she went out for walk run on the first day she was there, she was there for two nights alone, the second night she vanished...................I still think for now someone out and bought seen her and was attracted to her. Something about her caught his attention and he followed her back to the house to see where she was staying. He didn't know the girl personally, if at all but knew whom lived there because it is a small town and probably knew that they were out of town and she was alone, and probably knew they would be back the day after the abduction. ........But I dont think the perv lives in Brooklyn, but south past 80 and past tePF.

ADD ON...He may work in Brooklyn but not live there. That is why I ask about the employers and employees.

ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART. NOTHING POSTED AS BEING FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

Last edited:
When I think about abductions in broad daylight I remember Jessica Ridgeway. A short walk in the morning and no one saw anything. moo

bbm

Jessica Ridgeway: What happened to the Colorado girl? – The Denver Post
I don’t have names right now but she’s not the only person who disappeared right under the neighbors’ noses. I don’t know why people are so skeptical. It doesn’t happen often but it has happened so why couldn’t this be one of those instances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3