Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But what if someone was at an isolated spot where Mollie was about to run past.

Is it possible that the perp grabbed her and pulled her into a cornfield?

Shoot, this thread is going so fast. I can't see if I posted what I thought I posted or not. Then where I live there is storms right now (pretty far away from me but it affects my internet, due to the wind and satellite) so my internet is in and out.

But this IS a plausible theory zencompass. I think Razz mentioned this too. If the perp parked his vehicle like in a parking lot where there were other cars and it wasn't considered conspicuous. Also he could have parked on the other side of the cornfield where he would not be seen. Or he could have parked behind the car wash. Then maybe he walked to the cornfield (maybe he walked behind buildings and places where he thought he would not be seen). Maybe he scoped the area out days leading up the kidnapping and he knew where everything was and where all the video cameras were (or he could have just found everything out online somehow). He may have also watched MT the day before and knew her routine. Then maybe he hid in the cornfield. Then he grabbed her when she jogged by. Maybe he hid her body there in the cornfield after he attacked her. Maybe he checked the weather report so he KNEW it would rain and wash away all this evidence. Maybe he then went back to his vehicle and left. Then later that night when it was raining he got MT and took her to another location where she would NOT be found (and that's where she is at now). The rain would also make noise and you would not hear any commotion at all with a lot of rain (rain makes a lot of noise). The rain would mean there would be less people out on the road too due to the weather so that means it would be less likely the perp would be seen. But this is all speculation and probably far fetched. Then I was thinking maybe with all the rain it would wash away the scent. And then maybe the search dogs didn't pick up on anything because the scent would have been washed away that night. I don't know though if rain could actually wash away the scent. JMO.

If that is the case though why go through all the trouble of doing that if you are just going to come back later and get MT and take her somewhere else? You might as well pick her up in your vehicle and take her with you right then rather than go to the abduction site twice and chance getting caught twice. So I guess my theory doesn't make really much sense after all the more I think about it.

Physical evidence deteriorates, so finding a body sooner is better than later. I can't see destroying entire fields of crops when there is no reason to think she is in a cornfield.

Last edited:
The problem is that there are an infinite number of theories and you cannot eliminate all of them.
In my opinion, it's impossible that she ran away. It's impossible that she committed suicide. It is pretty close to impossible that a serial killer ended up at exactly the right place, right time, right day and that also no one noticed a thing...Simplest solution, imo, person known to her or at least she has some connection to her abductor. This is my own opinion and not SH or OR. Did I mention this is my opinion?

Last edited:
I am not surprised LE is not conducting searches right now. It makes sense to wait until later in the year after crops have been harvested, ground cover has thinned out, and hunters are crawling around fields and timber.

But people were showing up at searches. That's a lot of extra eyes that LE turned away. I have to believe they had a good purpose to do so. But what?

In fact, the harvesting of crops has me very concerned that evidence could be destroyed upon harvest.
I certainly agree with you that thinning ground cover could be beneficial and that hunters could come by the remains.

In my opinion, the lack of searches does not make sense at all and I feel like it is a clue unto itself.

In my opinion, it's impossible that she ran away. It's impossible that she committed suicide. It is pretty close to impossible that a serial killer ended up at exactly the right place, right time, right day and that also no one noticed a thing...Simplest solution, imo, known to her or at least a connection to her abductor. This my own opinion and not SH or OR. Did I mention this is my opinion?

The problem is still - if that is the simplest solution to a missing persons case, and it usually is, the police check out people she had connections to, witnesses, locals, etc. which we know they've done, and there have been no arrests or charges. The probability increases as time goes on and the police find nothing when looking at the "usual suspects" that it is no longer the simplest solution

No, it is about the farmer. If you want to search private lands, you need a warrant unless the owner lets you do it voluntarily. You'd like to say the farmers would graciously allow LE to do whatever they need to to find Mollie, but if the searches are invasive and end up destroying crops, that's their livelihood and their family's well-being at stake. It actually does make more sense to wait at this point. Searching fields would be a recovery by now, not a rescue.

Yes, they need a warrant; but I don't think destroying the crops would be an issue; LE probably have a fund for such circumstances.

duster1979, UNLESS the perp hid his vehicle somehow and then he hid in the cornfield and waited on her. Maybe he parked his vehicle in an inconspicuous location on the other side of the cornfield where it would not be seen and then he waited in the cornfield until MT jogged by. Then he grabbed her and assaulted her or whatever and then went back to his vehicle and left her there and waited til later for when it rained to come back and hide her somewhere else where she wouldn't be found. Now I was thinking in the middle of this it would NOT make sense. It would be more plausible for him to just kidnap her from his car. I say that because waiting on her in a cornfield would leave more evidence. So forget this scenario.

Razz, the more I think about this is doesn't make sense. If the perp did this he would leave more evidence. You said him hiding in the cornfield. I would think that if he did that it is more likely LE could have found evidence in the cornfields that way. PLUS the dogs that they brought in would have picked up on his scent if he had been in the cornfields.

...and she could have just as easily been taken at the end of a driveway and carried back to an enclosed building or secluded area and/or parked vehicle.

I don't think LE gives 'two figs' about crops; if they wanted to mount a search they would go ahead and do it; the farmer is the least of their considerations. It's all about finding Mollie.
I think he means it's simply easier to find a body once all that stuff is removed. Right now, it's pretty much a needle in a haystack. Just Google Map the area around Brooklyn and look at the satellite picture. The corn is taller than a man.

Serious questions...If a group was searching a cornfield, would that in turn destroy the crop? I have never walked into a corn field but I had the feeling corn crops would be fairly resilient to people walking through them. No?

No, but you can eliminate some of them.

Absolutely. She was last seen jogging. She disappeared. There are five points of interest where everyone who was at those places between 5-10PM on July 18 is asked to report to police.

Shortest route from first to last is that Mollie was abducted in a vehicle while jogging and that police are trying to identify the suspect's vehicle by eliminating everyone who had a good reason to be at those 5 locations between 5-10PM on July 18.

This is just MY opinion, but I think they may have examined her laptop closer, and any activity to/from her computer and any network she was connected to, and evaluated that with phone and Fitbit data in conjunction with witness statements. When evaluated all together, the picture that emerged from from data may have made returning home more unlikely than not.
Jmo

Her boyfriend and family probably searched the home as soon as he arrived, they may have thought she was working on homework as that was the last thing on her screen.

LE is not releasing that info or verifying it
I'm also at a loss as to why LE would shut down the searching so early on in the investigation. I initially thought it might be because LE had a strong suspect and they worried the searches might provoke him into moving her to another location. I no longer believe this to be the case... but I just can't think of any logical reason that would explain why they aren't conducting active searches.

ETA: I have no idea what I'm doing with the new WS format. I'm so used to Tapatalk and convinced I will forever be adapting to this new layout. My apologies, in advance.

——————————————-

Sorry quote got messed up

On the Finding Mollie FB Page they are asking for help searching the fields around her family home, I’m not sure when that was posted but I saw it a couple days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Timeline stuff:

Obviously emotional, Laura told KWWL's Abby Turpin that the family is in complete shock, and that Mollie would never intentionally run away and not be in touch with her family.

"No, absolutely not. Mollie would never run off. I last spoke with her at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday night about what was for dinner. I told her brats. She said, 'ok.'"

MISSING WOMAN: 20-year-old missing in Poweshiek County

"The night she disappeared, Mollie texted her mom at 7:30 p.m., saying she was going for a run — something she did most nights. "

From Oakland to Iowa, Mollie Tibbetts' family relies on two communities and clings to hope

"Her mom, Laura Calderwood, last heard from Mollie Wednesday, July 18 at 7:30 p.m. when Mollie asked what was for dinner. She told her daughter 'brats,' and Mollie texted back "ok." That was the last time she heard from her daughter."

Search For Brooklyn, Iowa's Mollie Tibbetts Continues

Serious questions...If a group was searching a cornfield, would that in turn destroy the crop? I have never walked into a corn field but I had the feeling corn crops would be fairly resilient to people walking through them. No?
A group of people walking with the rows could do so without damaging crops. But the problem with this is that walkers would need to be spaced at least every third row, the best you can hope to see is the row you’re in and the rows immediately next to you. If you’ve got thousands and thousands of acres to cover this quickly becomes logistically impossible.

Why is it unlikely that she was abducted while jogging? Police have told use that she was last seen jogging and that there have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time.
It’s not likely at all that anybody could abduct her along her route without somebody seeing or hearing something. Anybody familiar with the area would know this and not even consider doing so. The only starting point that seems likely at all is Mollie willingly getting into a car with someone she knows, something that happens every day in this area.

I’m a newbie here and have only posted one other time on this case. I haven’t posted since, as I felt like some of the people who responded to my post only did so to “pounce” on how wrong they thought my theory was.
Anyway, did Mollie have any tattoos? LE in Cartersville Georgia found a dismembered female on August 15th in a landfill. The body has a general description matching Mollie, but has distinctive tattoos. Irregardless of it being Mollie or not, another family somewhere is going through a rough time. Prayers all around.
Welcome aboard O.O. Wichita.

Looking at her, likely not. But, if she has any tats, I'm sure LE has included such info in BOLO's sent out to other LE, and would have likely announced any such identifer with her description. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member