Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought it made sense that the perp lived north, but if they were on hwy 21 at some point, why the diversion to V21 unless you lived there, or had something to do along that route and continued onto hwy 6 maybe? I don't like this.
It could be on the way and someone is familiar with the back roads and also has a spot in mind to eliminate some of the evidence.

Is it possible that the phone/fitbit was abandoned/destroyed/buried near WC's area on the 19th or 20th ?
I think that these items would have been disposed of almost immediately. It would be incredibly dangerous for the perpetrator to keep them in his possession for any length of time.

Unless the 9:45pm question was completely fabricated it had to mean something.
I think the poor mom was just woefully unprepared for media interviews. She likely said a few things they didn't intend to share, and you can tell how flustered she feels. That's probably why they aren't interviewing her as much. I feel for them all so much.

Question for PaulR.
Paul, it is my understanding that pings are loadbalanced and may be routed to a tower that isn’t busy. This could make a ping appear 10 miles away, when in fact it was just load balancing. Thoughts please, and thanks.

Cell traffic is load balanced like many things, and if a tower is overloaded (or perhaps if the cell thinks another tower is preferable because of perceived signal strength) then it could be shifted to a tower further away. That wouldn't necessarily change where the ping appeared to be coming from, since that is calculated by looking at how long the signal took to get to a tower, etc., but then sometimes signals can bounce off things and the cell phone can appear to be farther from the tower just because the signal took longer to get there.

@otto - I’m too tired right now to go back and find your post to quote it, so maybe I’m misinterpreting what I think you posted. But I’m curious why LE would say there was no Snapchat, etc after 7:30 so cryptically when the could have just as easily said it plainly. If that’s truly what they meant wouldn’t it make more sense to just say it? And if that’s in fact what they meant, they’re implying that the “good night” Snapchat was sent while she was out jogging? I can’t wrap my head around that.

LOL omg she did not touch a device after going out on her run/talked to mom.

The phone pinged someplace far away...

Unless she went home, sat there quietly until she was picked up on purpose by arrangement (made how? ESP perhaps) and tossed her phone out near WC’s...all in her sweaty togs...she did not get home.
JMOJMOJMOJMOJMO

Last edited:
Cell traffic is load balanced like many things, and if a tower is overloaded (or perhaps if the cell thinks another tower is preferable because of perceived signal strength) then it could be shifted to a tower further away. That wouldn't necessarily change where the ping appeared to be coming from, since that is calculated by looking at how long the signal took to get to a tower, etc., but then sometimes signals can bounce off things and the cell phone can appear to be farther from the tower just because the signal took longer to get there.
So....would The folks who maintain the towers be able to decipher if the ping bounced off something, or had a high probability of doing so?
Thanks Paul.

Boyfriend said doors were probably unlocked. Does home have attached garage? would those doors also be unlocked (assuming someone didn't want to enter through front door to unlock). Maybe someone who was in town, lived near her boyfriend's home and offered a ride back. Their car wouldn't look out of place in the neighborhood

She wasn't on the computer after she went jogging. Her last communication where she communicated with anyone, including logging into her online class, was when she was jogging.
I don't think they've stated they know when the snapchat was sent, only when it was opened. Could have been while jogging(not probable, since apparently it was her inside somewhere), could have been any time up until 9:59 PM.

I think the poor mom was just woefully unprepared for media interviews. She likely said a few things they didn't intend to share, and you can tell how flustered she feels. That's probably why they aren't interviewing her as much. I feel for them all so much.
I agree the crap her and RT take from people online is unreal. This could be the first missing persons case they have ever followed and it’s their daughter.

So....would The folks who maintain the towers be able to decipher if the ping bounced off something, or had a high probability of doing so?
Thanks Paul.

If they had some triangulation data than possibly. Effectively you'd have a maximum range, but no theoretical minimum range (but a practical one.) This is something that probably could be measured in the field if they had an idea about where the last transmission from her cell phone was. Remember if the phone was on until a certain time, there's going to be some cell tower records indicating movement.

Big note, I am not in the cellular industry, but I've learned a bunch about it as a result of a few MP cases. Also have radio knowledge thanks to a license.

I agree the crap her and RT take from people online is unreal. This could be the first missing persons case they have ever followed and it’s their daughter.
Yeah. It’s horrible that people are putting hurtful things out there. Rob has been unbelievable throughout this, a complete rock. So has DJ.

Is it out of the realm of possibility the perp was older.... never heard of a fitbit so wouldn't even think of it, & maybe didn't occur to him about a cell tower ping? No, I'm NOT saying old people know squat about technology. But even I sometimes go for the phonebook, then remember......oh.... there's this thing called Google, duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy