Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is where the dogs would be invaluable.
I mentioned a drone upthread. My thinking was that the corn would be noticeably disturbed, or would it quickly "retract" to cover any earthly remains?
Not a farm girl obviously. : )

I have been in quite a few corn fields hunting and some people may not realize how hard and firm the stalk is. A fully grown corn stalk is actually a little hard to break and so when walking in corn you avoid the stalk and walk around them.

JMO but if a killer was dragging a body into the corn I suspect he would drag it around the stalks and not knock down too many. The cornstalks are really firm and hard at the very bottom where they go into the ground. The diameter can be around 1 inch diameter when fully grown. So if he was dragging a body he would go around the stalks and they would not be knocked down much. Now his own upper body may bend some and break a few but overall I dont think there would be too much noticeable damage. JMO based on having to walk into grown corn.

ETA
If you do break and bend one in half they dont bounce back. They will stay bent over.

Last edited:
Truckers nowadays have electronics that record everything. They are checked at points to see if they are following the rules. If they are with a company, the company knows every move,

I doubt if a semi would leave the highway.

Does Mollie have a stepdad / father figure in the home, or extended family in the area? **I’m not suggesting anyone go sleuth to find out, but just curious if it’s been mentioned in the media? **

Although at this point I could probably flip a coin and have the same accuracy as these media stories.

"...
Make no mistake: Jake, Scott and Mollie’s parents, Laura Calderwood and Rob Tibbetts, have not given up looking.

The family home sits on the end of a cul-de-sac at the edge of Brooklyn in a tended neighborhood of newer construction. The entrance is lined with photos of Mollie in high school, performing for speech competitions or plays in high school.
..."
'She hated to be sad and hated others to be sad': Brotherly love for missing sister

It's also been reported that Mollie was born in CA, but Mom & kids returned to Iowa several years ago (Mom's native home and extended family here) after divorce. Mollie said to have recently returned from CA after participating as "Best Man" in her Dad's recent wedding. Dad reportedly traveled to Iowa immediately, and seen at earlier searches but has not participated in media interviews. I believe Mollie's twitter profile pic is Mollie & Dad.

In these cases, does law enforcement tell her family, such as her mother, more than we, as the general public would know, or is the family kept as clueless as the rest of us?
I can see both sides of this issue, for if they tell the family some inside information, it could possibly be leaked, but maybe they do in order to help the bereaved parent cope?
I think the support of family, friends and religious leaders are how parents try to cope. We live in a rural area and I'll never forget the time my 4-yo didn't come straight home from a neighbor's house and that was 30 years ago. After that, we took precautions.

If she was deceased in a corn field, there would be a lot of vultures flying above the area. People would see the large group of vultures and would go check the area. This happened with Hannah Graham. RIP, Hannah.

I agree. It likely would take a while for them to find her and they'd hang around for at least a couple of days. The problem in rural places is it's pretty common to see a ton of them flying around all over the place. Everything from roadkill animals to small rodents caught up in mowers to livestock losses. I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to check out every location where buzzards are flying around. And that's assuming she's deceased and not taken out of the local area.

I was walking down a country lane a few years ago, and a car with two young men drove by. It was summer, and the car windows were open. I heard one man turn to the other and say, "We can take him." They drove on. I was 55 and male, not an early-adult female college student.

I suspect that people disappear for a wide variety of reasons. In my case, it might have been the two men in the car were considering imposing random violence and the root cause might have been drugs exciting a social disorder. They were coming from a place known for drug purchases. They were unknown to me, so there was no pre-existing relationship or cause other than time and chance. It's just something to think about as people look at theories.

"They tend to be white males, they tend to be a little older, in the 30-40 year age range, they tend to have a history of problems in relationships in general but in particular with women, they may or may not have a criminal history.

It's quite possible they have some sort of history of sexual assault, maybe not for abduction, but maybe being sexually inappropriate with women in the past. But not always.

They tend to be somewhat — but not all of the time — socially isolated. But I can think of situations where that's not the case.

In general, they feel inadequate and one of the things in abducting, controlling and sexual assaulting is: it's about power. They are in charge, they are doing what they want to do, not what someone else wants them to do. They get what they want.

It's a totally selfish, narcissistic behaviour."
Profiling abductors: Q&A with Brad Garrett | CBC News

Good point.

If I was in charge of coordinating searches I would just have them walk the first 20 rows inwards and follow down along the paved roads along her running routes in town there. That should be able to be covered and at least outrule if a killer drug her off the road and not too far into the corn.

At least it would be a start and be able to cover highest probability if someone just quickly dumped her into the corn.
Someone said there were every heavy rains Wednesday morning in Brooklyn, is that correct? If so the fields may be easy to clear just by walking the perimeter looking for footprints

What about the boyfriends brother fiancé?

Agree with the wondering about the fiance. LE has been doing a fantastic job by keeping info "close to the vest."

I have not got a good handle on who has been cleared in her immediate circle and who has not, but, she has two main, much larger, social circles which LE might have to be looking into. (HS and College, unfortunately; That's a lot of acquaintances.)

IF, she was jogging, (7:30-8:00 pm) and an old acquiantance from HIGH SCHOOL rode by in a car, somewhere near that "downtown area", and invited her to go to the movies/bonfire/24-hour-diner/county-fair much LATER (10-ISH), then she might have walked back to bf's house, cancelled other plans she had (such as dinner with Mom and Bros), took a nap, and left willingly with that acquaintance at around or after 10. (Questions: Did she have a bookbag/knapsack? And the red-shirt was in there, as was the cellphone, because it was packed for the next work day? Does MT like to wear a baseball cap? With or without her hair in a ponytail? Maybe she was SEEN later in the evening, somewhere, but not recognized? It is summertime; everyone is spontaneous, and having fun. Her plans had changed that evening.... No problem.)

SIMILARLY, IF an acquaintance from UNIVERSITY, dropped by at some point, or texted her saying, "I never get a chance to stop and chat with you when we get so so busy with classes, can we hang out together at the movies/bonfire/24-hour diner/county fair LATER?", MT would have left around 10 with that person willingly also.

MT felt very safe with either of these circle of acquaintances.

Later, though, as a scenario, things could have become complicated; at around 1:00 am, because they met up with another circle of acquaintances (let's say), with whom MT didn't really know or have a connection to, and besides; MT wanted to get home, to sleep, to wake up at 5:30 am for her job; Because MT is very responsible and familiar with her neighborhood, and didn't want to wake her family up at such a late hour, she jogged back and met with an accident, which is why it is good LE is still searching.

None of these acquaintances, however, is coming forward with this info, because they are just terrified they will be blamed. They are feeling guilty that they let her go off on her own.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member