Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not for sure... I’m not a “psychic”’or FBI agent.. but for me, everything in this case is pointing toward mollie being harmed by someone she knew. It isn’t rocket science. When we do find out who, what, where, and when, we all may be amazed we completely missed it! IMO

I agree that she was likely harmed by someone she knew. I also believe LE has a suspect in mind and they are just waiting for the "right time" to arrest and charge. While a body is not a requirement to bring charges, it definitely helps. If LE believes Mollie is no longer with us and they have a good idea of the suspect, it makes sense that they would keep said suspect under surveillance and not lead on publicly in hopes suspect slips up and leads them to Mollie.

As others have said, if the abduction was specific and not random, there may not be a rush to arrest without more evidence. IMO, the attack was targeted and by someone that knew her well. Always hoping for the best and that she is still alive, of course.

This isn’t the first time we’ve had a case of someone seemingly vanishing into thin air. First (maybe not first?) the cousins in Waterloo, then this spring the boy from Laporte City, and now MT. As far as I know, there have been basically zero leads on either of those cases.

I’m probably not as familiar with this sort of thing as some of you may be, but I can’t get this thought out of my mind... When someone just disappears like this, either the perp is very lucky or very good. Being very good would take practice and knowledge.

If it were someone known to her you would think that this would be a first for them, and they would likely have made a mistake that would get them caught. Just a thought.

Search For Mollie Tibbetts: New Details As Over 100 Interviewed
"DCI Special Agent Richard Rahn told KCRG that while her disappearance is suspicious, Tibbetts is still out there somewhere and is alive. Rahn said he anticipates that the agency will get new leads and will work through the weekend to locate Tibbetts. "

Rahn sounds very sure Mollie is still alive. Perhaps this is why they are not sharing info with the public. If they KNOW she is alive, then they probably know who has her and are trying to locate her without setting her abductor off. JMO

I really really hope he's right, but it gets more unlikely by the day. I kind of think it's just something they have to say right now until they have evidence that she was killed. Coming out and saying that statistically speaking she is almost certainly dead probably wouldn't go over well.

But as unlikely as it is we've seen it before, so im glad they're holding out hope just like the family.

This is weird because in the article they mention the family was told she was doing homework late into the evening, and her laptop was found in the house. That doesn't make sense if they now think she never made it home.
It doesn't say late into the evening.

This isn’t the first time we’ve had a case of someone seemingly vanishing into thin air. First (maybe not first?) the cousins in Waterloo, then this spring the boy from Laporte City, and now MT. As far as I know, there have been basically zero leads on either of those cases.

I’m probably not as familiar with this sort of thing as some of you may be, but I can’t get this thought out of my mind... When someone just disappears like this, either the perp is very lucky or very good. Being very good would take practice and knowledge.

If it were someone known to her you would think that this would be a first for them, and they would likely have made a mistake that would get them caught. Just a thought.

I agree. I am guessing mistakes have been made. We just are not privy to that information, yet. MOO.

What SM are you looking at? There are a ton of pics of her mom on FB and none of her dad. Then I see 4 of him on IG and one of her mom. (Neither of her parents are on FB or IG)
Why doesn't anyone ever speculate on WHY she didn't go eat at her mom's? Maybe she didn't care for brats, "ok" is very noncommittal. To me it's like saying 'oh'. Maybe dinner is very casual in their house. Especially in the summer - 3 late teens, early 20's kids? At that age kids usually take the better offer. The mom works too, maybe she went to bed early. Don't forget they'd texted throughout that afternoon, she picked up ingredients so that Mollie could bank a cake to take to work. Sounds like they're pretty close to me. The problem is we have no idea why she didn't eat there or why her mom wasn't surprised, we just know it as a fact.
How do you know she didn't have a car for 2 days? Maybe she had it until she went to work on Wednesday. We know he expected her to get it or to take her to work on Thursday.
There's no answer to all these little questions. At least not yet.

Her mom is definitely on Facebook.

Not sure what Facebook you are looking at but there is 1 pic with her mom and at least 5 with her dad (that Mollie herself posted).

Last edited:
This statement by Mollie's brother Jake is from a CBS/AP report dated July 29, 2018 at 10:38pm (and just repeated locally in IA). I think it would be very helpful if we could accept this as the "official statement" about Mollie and the homework, period. JMO

"...Her older brother, Jake Tibbetts, said investigators told him evidence from her computer shows she was doing homework on the computer July 18, the night she went missing. But authorities declined to confirm a specific time, citing the active investigation..."

New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

sometimes it’s a little of both

This statement by Mollie's brother Jake is from a CBS/AP report dated July 29, 2018 at 10:38pm (and just repeated in locally). I think it would be very helpful if we could accept this as the "official statement" about Mollie and the homework, period. JMO

"...Her older brother, Jake Tibbetts, said investigators told him evidence from her computer shows she was doing homework on the computer July 18, the night she went missing. But authorities declined to confirm a specific time, citing the active investigation..."

Wouldn’t that be easy ???? But a lot of times in these situations people want to see the story from one point of view../ or stuck on one theory and don’t have an open mind to anything other than what they believe to be the obvious!

Search For Mollie Tibbetts: New Details As Over 100 Interviewed
"DCI Special Agent Richard Rahn told KCRG that while her disappearance is suspicious, Tibbetts is still out there somewhere and is alive. Rahn said he anticipates that the agency will get new leads and will work through the weekend to locate Tibbetts. "

Rahn sounds very sure Mollie is still alive. Perhaps this is why they are not sharing info with the public. If they KNOW she is alive, then they probably know who has her and are trying to locate her without setting her abductor off. JMO

It's encouraging he is so confident she is alive. LE usually don't like to give families false hope.

I really really hope he's right, but it gets more unlikely by the day. I kind of think it's just something they have to say right now until they have evidence that she was killed. Coming out and saying that statistically speaking she is almost certainly dead probably wouldn't go over well.

But as unlikely as it is we've seen it before, so im glad they're holding out hope just like the family.

I didn't think there was much of a chance that she was still alive, but when I read this, I realized it is possible. I agree that LE would not come out and say she was deceased, but I also don't think they would state "she is alive" unless they think there is a good possibility that she is. I could see this being possible if someone who was infatuated/obsessed with her was the one who had taken her - maybe to convince her to stay with him. A dangerous situation for sure - but a possibility.

Her mom is definitely on Facebook.

Not sure what Facebook you are looking at but there is 1 pic with her mom and at least 5 with her dad.
Oops sorry, was searching her posts instead of her friends!

I didn't think there was much of a chance that she was still alive, but when I read this, I realized it is possible. I agree that LE would not come out and say she was deceased, but I also don't think they would state "she is alive" unless they think there is a good possibility that she is. I could see this being possible if someone who was infatuated/obsessed with her was the one who had taken her - maybe to convince her to stay with him. A dangerous situation for sure - but a possibility.

While they said they didn't find Mollie at the places they searched, they didn't say they didn't find evidence. I think it is possible they found both the phone and the Fitbit. Both would have Mollie's scent on them and they did use dogs to search.

The missing 16-year-old boy from Laporte City was severely mentally handicapped and told his mom and stepdad he was headed to the .. r i v e r .. ( a raging river) at 9 pm at night. He's very likely not an abduction victim.

I disagree. If he was not abducted, then his body should be somewhere. I think abduction is likely in both of these cases. As in better than 50% chance. I think there is even a chance that the two cases could somehow be connected.

This is from the national CBS site. Notice they link to KCCI which is an Iowa CBS affiliate. That's where the info. comes from, and KCCI published it more than 24 hours ago.
It's kind of like a game of gossip. The farther you get away from the original source, the more likely there are to be mistakes. Notice that they transposed the name of the BF. It was correct in the KCCI account.
The best outlets to follow in a case like this, IMO, are the local newspaper, TV, and other sources. That means Iowa. They are more vested in the community so they have more motivation to get things accurate.
JMO

Wow, is this new? This is from the video at the link, around 1:41:

A reporter says, “Late today, investigators told us they have completed a timeline of Mollie’s run using her Fitbit data, where her cell phone pinged towers, and where witnesses saw her running. Jeff, their timeline ends where they think she went missing. They don’t think she left by choice, or made it back to the house that night.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu