Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE are not releasing all of the information that they know. I am certain that they have a fair bit more information than what is known in the public domain and they will be narrowing down to a conclusion in the next few days.
What do you think LE knows, generally speaking?

Maybe the reason LE said Mollie is out there somewhere and still alive is because they have been negotiating with someone who took her. Maybe she wasn’t abducted for a ransom initially but perhaps the bad persons has turned it into that. Maybe one of the stipulations is that his/her identity isn’t alluded to in the media.

Yes. That is the latest news. Jake Tibbett is the only one that has said the "homework" thing. LE has not confirmed it, nor have they said it publicly.
Yes but our local news said LE would not confirm the time of the homework and it could have been either before or after her run, which we know was in the evening.

Maybe the reason LE said Mollie is out there somewhere and still alive is because they have been negotiating with someone who took her. Maybe she wasn’t abducted for a ransom initially but perhaps the bad persons has turned it into that. Maybe one of the stipulations is that his/her identity isn’t alluded to in the media.
Or perhaps he or she is in custody and has yet to tell them where to find Mollie.

How many days was that?

Five days after she went missing, I believe. Or was reported missing. The were announced by LE on 7-24.

No communication or money activity and lack of transportation is probable cause. All along LE has been treating Mollie's disappearance as an abduction. I don't believe their stance has changed. A Judge would have no problem signed a search warrant for her phone under these circumstances. JMO

I agree. 100%.

its impossible to read every comment on every thread. so if this has already been answered please understand. Can anyone say if they took cadaver dogs inside the house she was staying?

They haven't said. But we've not heard any reports or rumors about professional dogs at all being at the house.

Hi all, I'm new here. I actually found WS while searching on twitter for updates on the case and have been following along since the start. This case has really affected me and I can't stop refreshing for updates. I am praying everyday that Mollie makes it back home. For some reason I just can't shake the feeling that she is still alive.

To me it has always made the most sense that something happened to her while on the run based on the missing fitbit and phone but wallet and glasses etc. being at home. I am an avid runner as well and I will always have my fitbit on and my phone in an armband but everything else stays at home. I can be overly paranoid but thinking about running in a rural area like that gives me chills. I grew up in a similar environment but currently live in a major urban centre. When I go back home to visit I refuse to go running there as I feel there is so much more opportunity for something to happen simply based on the lack of witnesses.

I truly hope that something major happens soon and Mollie's family is given closure. Ideally she comes home safe and sound. I am really worried that this will end up similar to the Lauren Spierer case where if I am correct there has still never been any answers.

Welcome! Great post. I hope your gut is right!!!

Just something to note: a house just up the street from MT's family's house was sold this past April.

Interesting. Good sleuthing.

What SM are you looking at? There are a ton of pics of her mom on FB and none of her dad. Then I see 4 of him on IG and one of her mom. (Neither of her parents are on FB or IG)
Why doesn't anyone ever speculate on WHY she didn't go eat at her mom's? Maybe she didn't care for brats, "ok" is very noncommittal. To me it's like saying 'oh'. Maybe dinner is very casual in their house. Especially in the summer - 3 late teens, early 20's kids? At that age kids usually take the better offer. The mom works too, maybe she went to bed early. Don't forget they'd texted throughout that afternoon, she picked up ingredients so that Mollie could bank a cake to take to work. Sounds like they're pretty close to me. The problem is we have no idea why she didn't eat there or why her mom wasn't surprised, we just know it as a fact.
How do you know she didn't have a car for 2 days? Maybe she had it until she went to work on Wednesday. We know he expected her to get it or to take her to work on Thursday.
There's no answer to all these little questions. At least not yet.

I can imagine that after a nice run and on a hot day, one wouldn't be excited to eat brats. Seems like heavy fall/winter food to me. Although I know people grill them at barbecues.

This isn’t the first time we’ve had a case of someone seemingly vanishing into thin air. First (maybe not first?) the cousins in Waterloo, then this spring the boy from Laporte City, and now MT. As far as I know, there have been basically zero leads on either of those cases.

I’m probably not as familiar with this sort of thing as some of you may be, but I can’t get this thought out of my mind... When someone just disappears like this, either the perp is very lucky or very good. Being very good would take practice and knowledge.

If it were someone known to her you would think that this would be a first for them, and they would likely have made a mistake that would get them caught. Just a thought.

Makes me think about Holly Bobo. No signs of struggle but her brother saw her being led by her murderer (he didn't realize what he was seeing) into the woods. But she just disappeared off the face of the earth.

They have been searching both the Creek and Cedar River. Video of LE breaking up log jams in the creek.

Nearly 2 months later, no sign of missing Iowa teen

Here? They've been searching water ways for Mollie?

Last edited:
People! The article linked that has "new info" was updated at 10:38PM EST. So, a couple of hours ago. WATCH the video instead of repeating what the brother said. NO ONE in LE has confirmed, or admitted, that they told the brother any such thing. I have no idea why he is saying such a thing. The video explicitly says that the FITBIT was pinging cell towers on her run, they DO have a timeline, and LE does NOT believe she made it home! This was just 2 hours ago folks, by a reliable news source, who stated she was told that by LE.

I would think LE is none to happy with her brother saying what he is saying, particularly since he is the ONLY one saying it. I do wonder why he would say such a thing tho. It distracts from what LE is trying to get out. (except for the people that keep repeating it here.)

I have my own theories at this point but I never, ever thought she was kidnapped during the night, or the next morning from the home.

Can you please supply a link to the video you are referencing.

It's not clear what you are attributing to the brother here. I believe the recent thread posts are talking about Jake Tibbetts confirming that law told family Mollie did homework on July 18. Law enforcement did not deny they informed the family of this, but law enforcement would not provide the time computer homework accessed... for obvious reasons. TIA

Five days after she went missing, I believe. Or was reported missing. The were announced by LE on 7-24.
>>snipped for length<<
Here? They've been searching water ways for Mollie?

No, they have been searching water ways for months to find Jake Wilson, an autistic teen. LE have said they have no evidence his case is connected to Mollie.

Can you please supply a link to the video you are referencing.

It's not clear what you are attributing to the brother here. I believe the recent thread posts are talking about Jake Tibbetts confirming that law told family Mollie did homework on July 18. Law enforcement did not deny they informed the family of this, but law enforcement would not provide the time computer homework accessed... for obvious reasons. TIA

New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

You have to watch the video, not just read the article. Mollie very well may have been doing homework but when the brother first said the cops told him, it was included that it was LATE in the evening and she did get home from run. This is NOT confirmed by LE. LE is keeping it very close to the cuff the timeline. The video gives the most info that we've gotten so far, that they have a timeline, her cell phone was pinging on her run and they do not think she made it home.

Or perhaps he or she is in custody and has yet to tell them where to find Mollie.

If she is already dead, they probably don’t have to worry about the person getting mad and not cooperating. I don’t think they would run in circles like they are if she was dead and they have rhe perp. But maybe? This case is being handled so much different than others I’ve seen.

They need to pull it together or we'll still be waiting like Lucas Hernandez (months til found- too decomposed to establish manner of death, Mr Chambers, and many more missing (after they were basically shut down to the public) .

To me it seems they have it together. They're working hard and smart. But investigators aren't magicians. They can't create evidence where it doesn't exist.

Regardless, I feel a lot of activity in this case. It doesn't seem close to going cold. And there's so much they could be doing that we don't know about. Like forensic testing.

We don't know what they've found in the house or at the farms. They could have stuff we don't know about.

You have to watch the video, not just read the article. Mollie very well may have been doing homework but when the brother first said the cops told him, it was included that it was LATE in the evening and she did get home from run. This is NOT confirmed by LE. LE is keeping it very close to the cuff the timeline. The video gives the most info that we've gotten so far, that they have a timeline, her cell phone was pinging on her run and they do not think she made it home.

I think she may have been nearly home and offered a ride by the killer. Didn't Sierah Joughin's killer hit a young woman off her bike, stopped and asked if she was hurt and then tried to kidnap her in 1990? I think something similar happened to Mollie. Some of her route didn't have sidewalks.

If she did not make it home after jogging, doesn’t it seem strange that she would send an early goodnight Snap?
I've been wondering if it was even MT who took the picture and sent the SC. If someone wanted to taunt DJ, what better way than to send a picture of MT in his home and have her disappear completely before DJ is back in town? I have no idea who might want to taunt DJ or why, but I'm running out of ideas. MT just doesn't seem to have any enemies, and we've already discussed stalkers, exes, jealous girls and random strangers. Guess I'll have to try a little harder. MOO

If she is already dead, they probably don’t have to worry about the person getting mad and not cooperating. I don’t think they would run in circles like they are if she was dead and they have rhe perp. But maybe? This case is being handled so much different than others I’ve seen.

I don't believe they are running in circles. Interrogation is part science/part art. They could make a deal and take the death penalty off the table. We just don't know much at this point.

To me it seems they have it together. They're working hard and smart. But investigators aren't magicians. They can't create evidence where it doesn't exist.

Regardless, I feel a lot of activity in this case. It doesn't seem close to going cold. And there's so much they could be doing that we don't know about. Like forensic testing.

We don't know what they've found in the house or at the farms. They could have stuff we don't know about.

It's interesting that after searching the 2nd farm they came back that night with dogs. Gives me some hope that they might have found something belonging to her and tried tracking it.

They also told media that they didn't find anything during the 1st or 2nd search of the hog farms but declined comment when they asked if the 3rd search with the dogs yielded anything.

LE has SAID they don't believe the two cases are connected.

Richard Rahn, a special agent in charge with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, said there was no evidence to suggest the missing person cases were connected.

As searches continue for Mollie Tibbetts and Jake Wilson, vigil planned for missing Iowans

No, that is not exactly what this one person said. He said "cases", not "two cases". Which is important. He is trying to dispel rumors that all of the missing persons are connected, and the work of a serial kidnapper. Which I don't think anybody here is claiming they are. That does not mean that some of the cases might not be connected. There is no evidence of a connection, until they find the evidence. Often cases are only linked after an arrest is made. If they are not looking for a possible connection between the two cases, I think they are making a big mistake.

The 'goodnight Snapchat' may well, from anything we've officially heard, have simply been a mid-evening Snapchat, opened at 10:00 pm by her boyfriend, who promptly fell asleep after a hard day's work.

I'm a trace skeptical of "late in the evening." Too many contradictions around it. Right now, here's something that I'd believe:

Dropped off at bf's home at 5:30.

Took care of dogs, and settled down to do homework, taking occasional social media breaks.

On one of those Snapchatted to boyfriend.

On another, texted to mom, checked that she bought ingredients for Friday after-work dessert. Was casually invited over to dinner, and equally casually accepted.

Finished homework, or got it under control. Put dogs in basement. Set out on a run that would take her over to her mother's place in time for a late dinner.

Vanished.
After reading the recent CBS article, I believe this is the most reasonable timeline we have at this point.

With regard to other information circulating by people who are not LE or MSM, keep in mind that disinformation is a tactic used often by LE. I've followed way too many cases like this one on this board and my experience is that the simplest explanation is usually the right one.

I'm praying for you, Mollie!

That makes sense to me: that she was abducted during her run. It's so often that we hear of women being grabbed off the street while jogging or cycling. I was trying to figure out her route, assuming that she was grabbed somewhere where there are few houses. The ideal spot may be right near the house-sitting address.

The next question I have is how far was she taken? Can we expect to find a body 20 miles from the abduction site, or nearby? Was this a first timer, or someone with experience abducting women off rural streets.

I do find it interesting that July 13, 2012 is an unsolved abduction date in Evansdale, and July 18, 2018 is another abduction 60 miles south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC