Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Whiskers16Well-Known Member

I thought so but now I don't know if I have just read that because of the college. Would you drive 50 miles for a job or get a motel?
For me the answer would depend on two things. One, is the employer paying for it? Two, what time does work begin the next day?

I’m guessing sun-up is a time around 6:15. They might start at 6:00 to beat the heat meaning a 5:00 a more departure from home. If the boss was paying I’d stay in a hotel.

New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

You have to watch the video, not just read the article. Mollie very well may have been doing homework but when the brother first said the cops told him, it was included that it was LATE in the evening and she did get home from run. This is NOT confirmed by LE. LE is keeping it very close to the cuff the timeline. The video gives the most info that we've gotten so far, that they have a timeline, her cell phone was pinging on her run and they do not think she made it home.

Thank you! That video is from last Thursday's Good Morning America!!
The homework news (on this tread) was reported by local KCCI News 8 yesterday - Saturday (7/28/18 at 7:58PM CDT), and again this Sunday evening by CBS/AP. Here's the local KCCI news statement:

Family members told KCCI on Saturday that evidence shows she was doing homework on her computer late in the evening on July 18. Authorities declined to release a specific time, saying it could hinder the investigation. (bbm)
New details provide insight into night Mollie Tibbetts was last seen

The CBS/AP report is essentially the same ("evening homework") except it's a direct quote attributed to named family member, Jake Tibbetts, with same disclaimer from Authorities. Rest assured Jake Tibbetts and/or any of the Family will not do anything to jeopardize finding Mollie.

Last edited:
No, that is not exactly what this one person said. He said "cases", not "two cases". Which is important. He is trying to dispel rumors that all of the missing persons are connected, and the work of a serial kidnapper. Which I don't think anybody here is claiming they are. That does not mean that some of the cases might not be connected. There is no evidence of a connection, until they find the evidence. Often cases are only linked after an arrest is made. If they are not looking for a possible connection between the two cases, I think they are making a big mistake.

Good grief. I trust their professional opinion. Yes, Rahn was speaking about all the missing persons in Iowa. If there is no evidence connecting any of the cases, then there is no evidence connecting the cases. Not sure why you want to dispute what he has said.

Richard Rahn, a special agent in charge with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, said there was no evidence to suggest the missing person cases were connected.

On Friday morning, the agency said the number of missing juveniles reported in Iowa in recent weeks was in line with historical trends, despite concerns spurred by Tibbetts' case.

As searches continue for Mollie Tibbetts and Jake Wilson, vigil planned for missing Iowans

The 'goodnight Snapchat' may well, from anything we've officially heard, have simply been a mid-evening Snapchat, opened at 10:00 pm by her boyfriend, who promptly fell asleep after a hard day's work.

I'm a trace skeptical of "late in the evening." Too many contradictions around it. Right now, here's something that I'd believe:

Dropped off at bf's home at 5:30.

Took care of dogs, and settled down to do homework, taking occasional social media breaks.

On one of those Snapchatted to boyfriend.

On another, texted to mom, checked that she bought ingredients for Friday after-work dessert. Was casually invited over to dinner, and equally casually accepted.

Finished homework, or got it under control. Put dogs in basement. Set out on a run that would take her over to her mother's place in time for a late dinner.

Vanished.

I'm wondering if LE is intentionally leaking confusing/contradictory statements so the suspect if they have one, isn't aware how close they are?

It's interesting that after searching the 2nd farm they came back that night with dogs. Gives me some hope that they might have found something belonging to her and tried tracking it.

They also told media that they didn't find anything during the 1st or 2nd search of the hog farms but declined comment when they asked if the 3rd search with the dogs yielded anything.

Coupled with their cryptic comment about not confirming or denying whether they found anything during those searches.

Last edited:
I think she may have been nearly home and offered a ride by the killer. Didn't Sierah Joughin's killer hit a young woman off her bike, stopped and asked if she was hurt and then tried to kidnap her in 1990? I think something similar happened to Mollie. Some of her route didn't have sidewalks.

The similarity between Mollie's case and Sierah's is what has me so interested. I am from the area where Sierah was murdered and our community is still mourning her loss. I also think that something similar may have happened to Mollie. I'm praying she is found alive.

I'm very sad that they are having no press conferences. I think only the one at the beginning then the one mollies mother gave. I find that most unusual in a missing young woman!
I surely hope they know what they are doing. Evidently they aren 't interested in any sightings or leads.

The similarity between Mollie's case and Sierah's is what has me so interested. I am from the area where Sierah was murdered and our community is still mourning her loss. I also think that something similar may have happened to Mollie. I'm praying she is found alive.

I didn't follow Sierah's case here but I did follow it via the Toledo media and don't believe the killer acted alone.

A horrible, horrible case which proves predators are out there in rural America just lying in wait. So glad the killer got the death penalty.

I'm very sad that they are having no press conferences. I think only the one at the beginning then the one mollies mother gave. I find that most unusual in a missing young woman!
I surely hope they know what they are doing. Evidently they aren 't interested in any sightings or leads.
I think LE is focused on a specific perp and that is why there are no press conferences. I hope I'm right. These cases drain the mind and the spirit and we aren't the victims or their families. I simply can't fathom their anguish right now. It must be agonizing for all of them.

LE does not make it a habit of lying to the public in order to trick its suspects.

I do not think that will prove to be the case here, either. LE is a professional entity.

I agree. However, IF they believe Mollie is alive that is an entirely different story.

If this is some sort of crazy stranger than fiction case. If a guy obsessed with her took her and is keeping her alive... then the police making it look like they have NO IDEA what is going on? That's the very best thing they can do.

Odds of that are slim to none, but it is a situation where I can see the cops totally misleading everyone.

LE is a professional entity which can and does lie to the public when necessary. I have no problem with it.
Agreed.

But trying to remember a specific case/s where it has happened. Must be a few but it's getting late here for recalling specifics! Help me out someone!

edit:
I am not sure they ought to do it, however. It can alienate the press and the public when gone to too often.

Agreed.

But trying to remember a specific case/s where it has happened. Must be a few but it's getting late here for recalling specifics! Help me out someone!

edit:
I am not sure they ought to do it, however. It can alienate the press and the public when gone to too often.

I think journalists and the press respect the jobs they are required to do and do them accordingly. Most states have adopted bar/press guidelines to which both sides adhere voluntarily. The entire purpose of an LE Public Information liaison is to ensure that LE are speaking with one clear voice. In Public Relations, perception is reality. I have no doubt they are working together to solve this case in the best interest of Ally and her family. iow, JUSTICE.

LE does not make it a habit of lying to the public in order to trick its suspects.

I do not think that will prove to be the case here, either. LE is a professional entity.

I'm not sure it's a lie, but what others have suggested as far as LE stating confusing statements/not releasing information in order to relax a suspect is a possibility in this case. There was a missing person recently in my area that was found murdered. From the very beginning, LE said that the friend he was with was not a suspect, but now they're starting his trial for murder. I'm hoping this isn't the outcome for Mollie.

Just for the sake of accuracy, the article may be from tonight, but the video itself is from Friday morning.

New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

You have to watch the video, not just read the article. Mollie very well may have been doing homework but when the brother first said the cops told him, it was included that it was LATE in the evening and she did get home from run. This is NOT confirmed by LE. LE is keeping it very close to the cuff the timeline. The video gives the most info that we've gotten so far, that they have a timeline, her cell phone was pinging on her run and they do not think she made it home.

Missing University of Iowa student, 20, RETURNED to her boyfriend's house after going for a jog and sent him a final Snapchat before she mysteriously vanished, say FBI investigators UPDATED: 01:25 EDT, 30 July 2018

New evidence reveals that 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts (pictured below), who went missing on July 18 after going for a run in Brooklyn, Iowa, may have returned to her boyfriend's home where she sent him a final Snapchat (pictured with boyfriend Dalton Jack). The University of Iowa rising sophomore has been missing for over her week. Authorities and her family are trying to piece together a timeline of Tibbetts' evening before she went missing.

Family members said Saturday evidence shows she was doing homework on her computer late in the evening. She was last spotted going for a run in the rural town. Later that evening around 10pm her boyfriend received a Snapchat from her that appeared to be taken indoors, leading her family to believe Tibbetts returned to his home following her jog. He has been ruled out as a suspect in her disappearance. She has been nowhere to be found as authorities combed her neighborhood and a nearby pig farm. A $2,000 reward has been offered for information on her disappearance. (bbm)

4EAED98800000578-6005257-image-a-71_1532920587071.jpg

4E9F19EF00000578-6005257-Her_family_says_she_was_doing_homework_on_her_computer_that_nigh-m-2_1532906845015.jpg

4E9F220400000578-5999659-image-a-20_1532702474862.jpg

Since then, the T.I.P Rural Electric Cooperative announced that the company added $1,000 to the existing Crimes Stoppers of Central Iowa reward of $1,000. Mollie is pictured, left, with her grandmother Judy Calderwood and her three brothers

Missing University of Iowa student sent her boyfriend a Snapchat before she vanished | Daily Mail Online

Such a beautiful, vibrant girl -- I stand wtih Mollie.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if LE is intentionally leaking confusing/contradictory statements so the suspect if they have one, isn't aware how close they are?

I've been wondering the same thing too. They've certainly shown minimal interest in clarifying the confusion--and I'm taking for granted that there's a reason for that.

And, unlike some cases, I feel confident that they have a lot of info--cameras that show her, or don't show her, a slew of electronic data from a multitude of devices, neighbors who saw things, or didn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC