Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily. Lack of arrest does not mean lack of suspicion or suspect.

Sure it does. If there is an obvious suspect they will arrest them the same day. This is not that type of case.

Is there a specific radius for the phone pings? Or a range? For instance, if it pinged near the BF's house - could the house be within that radius? Just trying to understand what type of info is given to LE after the subpoena of phone records.

So agree! Privacy setting options for this app are almost non-existent. Why does this generation want so many SM apps? I’m asking my daughter abt this today. NO VSCO PLEASE!

I try to stay informed of social media apps as the parent of a teen but this one is new to me. So hard to keep track of!

I had not given much thought to a voluntary disappearance but after looking at her VCSO site, it gives me pause. Still not probable, though. I haven't followed a case in months as I needed a break but I'm hoping for a break today in this case!

Sure it does. If there is an obvious suspect they will arrest them the same day. This is not that type of case.

That's just not true. Several cases have been referenced by previous posters in which a suspect was known almost immediately and often even publicly identified as NOT a suspect only for a later arrest. What may be obvious to LE or us is not necessarily "obvious" in court. Evidence takes time, especially if the general public is not thought to be at risk.

If they have a perp in mind they may very well be watching him. Often times killers return to the scene of the crime or sight where they disposed of evidence/a body to see their work. If they have a perp they may be watching him to see if he leads them to where he committed his crime or buried his evidence.
IMO that’s waiting time and if they even have a slight suspicion of someone they need to be talking to them and finding out what’s happened.

I am pretty sure FBI has this figured out. They are not saying public is in danger, because they are already in surveillance of perp 24/7. It will be someone known to family. They are looking for a body and waiting on tech data and circumstantial evidence to come in to build case.

Hmm so last pings near bf's home. Firstly, near doesn't necessarily mean "in." So I wonder, was she nearing the end of her run and therefore was almost home and something happened to her?

I just keep clinging to this idea that something happened while she was running/walking and out of the house. Her lack of wallet, ID, etc. would point here as well, and I just feel like it would be easier to overtake her if she was out, maybe on headphones, guard down a bit if she was close to home, rather than actually in the home.

Now, of course that is maybe implying a stranger. If it is someone known to her and well-known, then her guard would probably be down around them no matter where.
It would be helpful to know a time of the last ping.

I understand what you are saying and thinking. But it could also mean LE doesn’t want the public knowing where she was last, as they have mentioned with not releasing a timeline. They have information on why they called off searches and most likely don’t want the public interfering with their investigation. The public doesn’t need to know this information. Back before social media was big, I feel we rarely heard about cases like this because all we had to go off of was the newspaper and local news on tv. Now we have SM and websites like this, and people think they deserve to know all the details. I am NOT directing this at you by the way, just rambling. :) It is frustrating because we want to know it all, but if we knew her last spot, that still wouldn’t bring us any closer to knowing anything. We would just have a new can of theories to ponder.

I know what you mean but in other cases I've followed LE have given so much more, CCTV and phone information. I'm sure it will all become clear in due course

I try to stay informed of social media apps as the parent of a teen but this one is new to me. So hard to keep track of!

I had not given much thought to a voluntary disappearance but after looking at her VCSO site, it gives me pause. Still not probable, though. I haven't followed a case in months as I needed a break but I'm hoping for a break today in this case!
I've never heard of this app either, until reading about it here.

(Most of what I know about SM I learned on WS!)

jmo

LE silence is concerning to me. I'm also following the case of Andrya Deghelder in Augusta, GA, and the updates by LE and media are prolific compared to this case.

Yeah, generally when LE has information to report, they do. When they don't, they don't. Lack of updates, is not a positive thing in a criminal investigation.

That's just not true. Several cases have been referenced by previous posters in which a suspect was known almost immediately and often even publicly identified as NOT a suspect only for a later arrest. What may be obvious to LE or us is not necessarily "obvious" in court. Evidence takes time, especially if the general public is not thought to be at risk.

Can you give any examples?

Perhaps someone else sent the Snapchat? Would LE be able to tell, without having Mollie's phone, if the selfie sent in the Snapchat was a pic from that day\night or one from her photo cache? Because the boyfriend might not know all the pics Mollie has stored on her phone.

I also wonder about the last text to her mom ("ok") in response to hearing what her mom was having for supper--someone else could have sent that, also.

Just because those ("ok" text and Snapchat) were sent from Mollie's phone does not mean she herself sent them.

Of course, if it turns out she really was doing homework later that same evening, my suspicions no longer apply.
If you send a pic on snapchat from your camera roll, it goes on the message differently than one you’ve just taken. It’s hard to explain but a pic you’ve just taken will open then disappear.. you have an option to replay it. A camera roll one will be shown as a tile in the message and stay there until you come off the message, if that makes sense. Her bf would probably know that so to me it seems like it was a pic she’d taken at the time. I wonder if they’ve asked him that?

Last edited:
It's possible they really do not need any additional information from the general public, which would explain the lack of clarification on the timeline, details, and what information they are looking for. JMO.

And this is the frustration, if LE don't need the public's help why aren't they telling the family that, why is Mollie's dad asking for help. I don't buy that LE don't need more information. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman