Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If she did not make it home after jogging, doesn’t it seem strange that she would send an early goodnight Snap?

Perhaps someone else sent the Snapchat? Would LE be able to tell, without having Mollie's phone, if the selfie sent in the Snapchat was a pic from that day\night or one from her photo cache? Because the boyfriend might not know all the pics Mollie has stored on her phone.

I also wonder about the last text to her mom ("ok") in response to hearing what her mom was having for supper--someone else could have sent that, also.

Just because those ("ok" text and Snapchat) were sent from Mollie's phone does not mean she herself sent them.

Of course, if it turns out she really was doing homework later that same evening, my suspicions no longer apply.

I completely understand the idea of LE not releasing information and I'm fine with that. The only thing that matters is getting Mollie back alive or returning her to her family and getting her justice if she isn't and if releasing information hinders that then by all means keep it quiet. That said, here is my problem with the current situation. There is a lot of information out there and no one knows what is true. So they are begging for tips and information, even the tiniest little thing, but I think they are hurting their chances of getting tips like that. While good people really don't hesitate to tell the police if they are pretty sure about something (like hey my co-worker who is obsessed with Mollie has been missing since July 18th) but good people ARE hesitant to cause problems for someone if it just seems really insignificant when it isn't. So if someone saw something that seems small but maybe something at 8:15 but then hears that she probably made it home, they may not report it. Conversely if someone is considering reporting a tip that would be after 10pm but heard she disappeared while jogging between 7:30-8, then again they may not report it. So while I don't think LE owes the public any details, I do think with the slew of contradictory information out there it would be a good idea for them to release a brief statement saying at least something about what they know to help clarify the best they can. I think a clarifying statement could be made without actually releasing any specifics.

It's possible they really do not need any additional information from the general public, which would explain the lack of clarification on the timeline, details, and what information they are looking for. JMO.

Is it possible she heard something like an opossum and tried to get it, in turn getting stuck somewhere in a wall or crawl space? I'm assuming LE would have heard her in the first few days but I'm trying to make sense of the circumstances! Sorry if this has been discussed before, I am trying to keep up.

Is it possible she heard something like an opossum and tried to get it, in turn getting stuck somewhere in a wall or crawl space? I'm assuming LE would have heard her in the first few days but I'm trying to make sense of the circumstances! Sorry if this has been discussed before, I am trying to keep up.
her phone is missing though

Perhaps someone else sent the Snapchat? Would LE be able to tell, without having Mollie's phone, if the selfie sent in the Snapchat was a pic from that day\night or one from her photo cache? Because the boyfriend might not know all the pics Mollie has stored on her phone.
snipped by me

Selfies sent from cache are sent as messages in chat, snap selfies don't show up in the chat thread.

I believe that LE have someone in mind (sits on hands) for the simple reason that there has been no direct appeal. (that i'm aware of) Now, this maybe due to authorities not wanting them to plead with whomever has her, (and don't want to provoke) if at all. Or plead with Mollie to come home, that is, if something nefarious hasn't happened. If this is the case, then wouldn't LE not put a stop on all family members speaking out?

Just a thought.

If you mean for help from the public, there have been direct public appeals from LE.

BROOKLYN, Iowa -- The FBI is joining Iowa officials in the search of a 20-year-old University of Iowa student who has been missing from her eastern Iowa hometown for nearly a week. Mollie Tibbetts, of Brooklyn, Iowa, went missing last week while reportedly staying at her boyfriend's home.

Volunteer searches for Tibbetts were called off this week as the FBI and state investigators took over, Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation spokesman Mitch Mortvedt said Tuesday.

"We're still asking for the public's help. We'd like to get any information we can. The more eyes and ears we have, the better," Mortvedt said Tuesday. Officials have little to go on, he said, but they're "leaning more and more toward something happening to her against her will."

FBI joins search for missing University of Iowa student

19 pages in

19 pages in of Thread #6

A no discussion maps, media and timeline thread has been created for Mollie's case. Feel free to update that thread.

IA - MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINES - NO DISCUSSION - Molly Tibbetts,20, Poweshiek County

No posting/info thread is good consolidation along with initial postings at beginning of last threads.

This may help those new coming to WS with added case broadcasts and a refresher for those following but needing to step away at times.

In the last thread the same queries were posited over and over about who was cleared. This person was cleared but not that one and how about this one and that one. These type of sentiments and statements can be construed as suggesting involvement by individuals in Mollie's close circle of family and friends. Our terms of service very clearly discourages that type of speculation.

TOS and WS rules will be strictly enforced from this point forward. You have been duly warned. Expect a TO or worse if you choose not to follow the rules of this forum and of this case.

Thank or like this post to indicate you have read it before posting in the thread.

Bumping this up for new members who just joined the thread. I also suggest reading the first page of this thread. thanks

Fascinating. We automatically assume X (whatever X is), where in an event (missing young woman) we assume certain things from the number of pre-existing events similar to the event we are looking at. But, there are anomalous events in life that don't fit the general pattern. Thank you for your suggestion.

Community may hold clue to find missing Iowa student, father says

Speaking in an interview with “Good Morning America,” Rob Tibbetts said he believes the public may hold the key to finding his daughter, Mollie Tibbetts, who disappeared on July 18 after going out for an evening jog.

“What we need is for people to tell their friends and neighbors that if they saw anything that seemed even remotely out of the ordinary to call the authorities and they will run that down,” Tibbetts said. “The authorities have told us again and again and again that all the similar cases like this are always solved by some tip.”
Yes.. and again.. thats why LE has to give the public some solid details and anything else they know. Not just heresay that changes daily.

If LE thinks the public is key and could help...they need to speak out specifically as to what people should look for or be thinking back about. Not assuming everyone knows that perps may have changed appearance, missed work, cleaned a vehicle etc, i.e things we know from WS that LE often asks. Most people don’t know these “signals” and don’t even pay attention to the details of cases like we do here, they just send prayers. The public often CAN help but not if they don’t know how.
LE silence is concerning to me. I'm also following the case of Andrya Deghelder in Augusta, GA, and the updates by LE and media are prolific compared to this case.

Has her social media account for VSCO.com been shared? I just see a different side of her on there...I could see where she might have attracted the wrong attention. They’re not “bad” but I am not sure I would want my 19 or 22 year old having a couple of those pictures public.
https://vsco.co/mollietibbetts/images/1
So agree! Privacy setting options for this app are almost non-existent. Why does this generation want so many SM apps? I’m asking my daughter abt this today. NO VSCO PLEASE!

If LE thinks the public is key and could help...they need to speak out specifically as to what people should look for or be thinking back about. Not assuming everyone knows that perps may have changed appearance, missed work, cleaned a vehicle etc, i.e things we know from WS that LE often asks. Most people don’t know these “signals” and don’t even pay attention to the details of cases like we do here, they just send prayers. The public often CAN help but not if they don’t know how.

I can't like this post enough! I also wish they would ask residents to search their properties.

I know LE can often check to see what phones hit off a specific tower...this has been done for a few decades by now. Was hoping there was a more specific and high tech method of seeing exactly which phones were where and when I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3