Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i for one after reading what i have and seeing the recent videos, i would say she went for her walk/jog return back to the house and disappeared sometime after that. I still wish they would take those cadaver dogs to house if they have not already and let them sniff the place from top to bottom especially the basement and any crawlspaces in the house.........ADD ON at 911am. Until something different comes up, i am going to say sometime after 10pm while she was working/browsing whatever on her computer someone let themselves in the house through a unlock door and found her setting at her computer and snuck up behind her. I dont think the dog, depending on what kind of dog it is was a factor in alerting her to an intruder in the house. perhaps she had on her headphones or a radio on that made her oblivious to someone else in the house. Someone followed her on her return from the walk/jog to see where she was staying and then came back later after 10 pm. ...ALL JUST MOO.

Last edited:
A key piece of the jigsaw for me is the phone pings.

LE must by now have a full set of pings for the Wed/Thursday, so, why do they not appear able to identify where she was.

I'm going to assume that Mollie had her phone on her run as most runners take their phones with them (I know this from my own experience and from an online runing community I belong to)> from that, assuming the battery didn't go flat on the run, they know where and when she went which can be matched up with any CCTV along the route.

Thus they know if she made it home, again an assumption but I'm going to believe the family when they say that she did and she was on her computer at home. We know the phone is missing so either Mollie took it whereever she went and pings will tell us where or it was disposed of somehow by Mollie or persons unknown but still LE would know when it last pinged a tower.

I just can't understand why this information isn't being made public and I also don't understand why there doesn't seem to be much LE/FBI activity in actively searching the place of the last ping. We know the hog farm searches were from tips not phone activity.

Locals - have you seen or heard of searches?

I'm totally baffled by the apparent lack of use of technological clues. This is super frustrating when it seems like much more could be being done to find Mollie
I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be for the family. I hope they have hired a private investigator.

A key piece of the jigsaw for me is the phone pings.

LE must by now have a full set of pings for the Wed/Thursday, so, why do they not appear able to identify where she was.

I'm going to assume that Mollie had her phone on her run as most runners take their phones with them (I know this from my own experience and from an online runing community I belong to)> from that, assuming the battery didn't go flat on the run, they know where and when she went which can be matched up with any CCTV along the route.

Thus they know if she made it home, again an assumption but I'm going to believe the family when they say that she did and she was on her computer at home. We know the phone is missing so either Mollie took it whereever she went and pings will tell us where or it was disposed of somehow by Mollie or persons unknown but still LE would know when it last pinged a tower.

I just can't understand why this information isn't being made public and I also don't understand why there doesn't seem to be much LE/FBI activity in actively searching the place of the last ping. We know the hog farm searches were from tips not phone activity.

Locals - have you seen or heard of searches?

I'm totally baffled by the apparent lack of use of technological clues. This is super frustrating when it seems like much more could be being done to find Mollie

I think a lot is being done but they aren’t going to release the details. They have to keep things close to them and not released as part of an investigation. This keeps getting mentioned. Some of the things they act like they don’t have or haven’t found could even be that they do truly have them. But they say that to find out what information people know when interviewing them. A few other cases I’ve followrd they kept asking the public to be on the look out for specific items and they had them the whole time.

Hmm so last pings near bf's home. Firstly, near doesn't necessarily mean "in." So I wonder, was she nearing the end of her run and therefore was almost home and something happened to her?

I just keep clinging to this idea that something happened while she was running/walking and out of the house. Her lack of wallet, ID, etc. would point here as well, and I just feel like it would be easier to overtake her if she was out, maybe on headphones, guard down a bit if she was close to home, rather than actually in the home.

Now, of course that is maybe implying a stranger. If it is someone known to her and well-known, then her guard would probably be down around them no matter where.

If she did not make it home after jogging, doesn’t it seem strange that she would send an early goodnight Snap?

I see why we'd think that.... unless: Mollie knows her BF is tired after a long day of physical labor and early to bed is his norm. She may have wanted to catch him before HE went to bed, perhaps figuring she'd be home from her run/dinner later than his bedtime.

I think a lot is being done but they aren’t going to release the details. They have to keep things close to them and not released as part of an investigation. This keeps getting mentioned. Some of the things they act like they don’t have or haven’t found could even be that they do truly have them. But they say that to find out what information people know when interviewing them. A few other cases I’ve followrd they kept asking the public to be on the look out for specific items and they had them the whole time.

I totally understand that LE can't release all the information they have but in the case of a missing person I'd think that it would be key to finding them to tell the public where the last known place was that they were at.

If there is a perp he/she knows where they went and what they did and they've got to assume that LE has the phone ping data so I don't see what the reason would be for not making this public.

Well- I was really hoping to wake up this morning with a huge news alert that mollie was found or a suspect arrested. Here we are with just as many questions as yesterday. So frustrating- it seems that these “just vanished”’cases eat at me the most! In this day and age I’d never believe it could happen so easily ... always hopeful for Mollie!

Do we know for a fact that LE has searched bodies of water?

Crews have searched every road, every ditch and every body of water near town, the sheriff said. On Friday authorities also conducted a large ground search of the areas around Brooklyn -- and at least 250 people came out to help.

In addition, a helicopter and a plane flew over the area, he said, and kayakers searched miles along the small rivers on both sides of town.

Search for daughter who went missing while jogging is 'excruciating,' mom says

Did the torrential downpour happen during the time she is said to have gone for a run?

If so, could it be likely that the rain started during her run and a passerby in a vehicle (perpetrator) offered her a ride?

Totally possible! And if it was an exeptionally hard rain, could she have taken shelter by knocking on someone's door? The wrong kind of someone with bad intentions?

I totally understand that LE can't release all the information they have but in the case of a missing person I'd think that it would be key to finding them to tell the public where the last known place was that they were at.

If there is a perp he/she knows where they went and what they did and they've got to assume that LE has the phone ping data so I don't see what the reason would be for not making this public.

I understand what you are saying and thinking. But it could also mean LE doesn’t want the public knowing where she was last, as they have mentioned with not releasing a timeline. They have information on why they called off searches and most likely don’t want the public interfering with their investigation. The public doesn’t need to know this information. Back before social media was big, I feel we rarely heard about cases like this because all we had to go off of was the newspaper and local news on tv. Now we have SM and websites like this, and people think they deserve to know all the details. I am NOT directing this at you by the way, just rambling. :) It is frustrating because we want to know it all, but if we knew her last spot, that still wouldn’t bring us any closer to knowing anything. We would just have a new can of theories to ponder.

I'm in the minority here, but don't you think it would be a little obvious to a few people in a small town like Brooklyn. A photo for instance, taken in full view of others and placed on the internet by the media would hardly remain a secret from LE. The person would immediately become a POI and a search warrant issued for his phone and other digital devices. If it seems obvious to some people here, why would LE not think the same. They would be checking if he lived alone and establishing whether he has a verifiable alibi for any particular timeframe the FBI are interested in.

Yeah, if it was that simple, an arrest would have been made within the first 24 hours.

If LE thinks the public is key and could help...they need to speak out specifically as to what people should look for or be thinking back about. Not assuming everyone knows that perps may have changed appearance, missed work, cleaned a vehicle etc, i.e things we know from WS that LE often asks. Most people don’t know these “signals” and don’t even pay attention to the details of cases like we do here, they just send prayers. The public often CAN help but not if they don’t know how.

I completely understand the idea of LE not releasing information and I'm fine with that. The only thing that matters is getting Mollie back alive or returning her to her family and getting her justice if she isn't and if releasing information hinders that then by all means keep it quiet. That said, here is my problem with the current situation. There is a lot of information out there and no one knows what is true. So they are begging for tips and information, even the tiniest little thing, but I think they are hurting their chances of getting tips like that. While good people really don't hesitate to tell the police if they are pretty sure about something (like hey my co-worker who is obsessed with Mollie has been missing since July 18th) but good people ARE hesitant to cause problems for someone if it just seems really insignificant when it isn't. So if someone saw something that seems small but maybe something at 8:15 but then hears that she probably made it home, they may not report it. Conversely if someone is considering reporting a tip that would be after 10pm but heard she disappeared while jogging between 7:30-8, then again they may not report it. So while I don't think LE owes the public any details, I do think with the slew of contradictory information out there it would be a good idea for them to release a brief statement saying at least something about what they know to help clarify the best they can. I think a clarifying statement could be made without actually releasing any specifics.

Cell companies have the ability to track your movements real time from the cell towers and knows what tower you are connecting to if it is the companies tower or an affiliate they also can tell if your phone was turned off and for how long when it comes back online.. I have problems with my cell phone in congested NJ and while i was driving I had a level 3 engineer tracking my location and told me exactly where I was driving what direction and what towers I was grabbing or not and if the tower was overloaded or have reduced capacity.. So it is certainly possible.

This needs some clarification.

Cell phones connect to carrier networks via "cells", which are installed at various locations across the broader landscape. Cells may be installed as a stand-alone configuration that includes a tower(s) with antenna and a small structure containing transmitter(s), receiver(s) and control electronics (common to all cell installations). Cells may also be installed in an existing structure such as an office building with antenna installed at the top or sides of the building and low-power installations designed to provide service to a small area, such as cell phone stores and coffee houses, etc.

I'll use 'cell' from this point on, which implies it could reference any of the typical installations noted above.

Mobile phones connect to a cell with the strongest signal, which might not necessarily be the closest in straight-line distance and only if that cell has channels available to accommodate the connection. If it doesn't the phone will attempt connection to the next strongest signal, etc.

As a phone is leaving the coverage area of the cell to which it is then-currently connected it will attempt to connect to the next strongest-signal cell, etc. The phone tracks multiple cells within its receive range and monitors the signal level and channel availability of each. Cells also monitor phones within range. Note that the phones must be compatible with the coding system in use for the particular carrier.

The hand-off process of the phone signal between cells provides what is perceived as a 'seamless' connection as the phone moves through coverage areas.

An important thing to note is this is an oversimplification of the process but it is good enough for this discussion.

Now we get to the point. With the phone and the cells tracking and logging signal levels between them, technicians are able to obtain that data and apply algorithms to *estimate* an approximate location of a phone. Factors that affect that estimation include signal reflections and obstructions; i.e., a reflected signal travels a longer distance than a line-of-sight signal and provides an inaccurate level reading that makes it appear a phone is farther from a cell than the reality.

Given that, LE may only be provided with approximations or 'best guesses' that could be inaccurate by miles.

Most, if not all phones sold today include GPS capability, which has nothing to do (at a basic level) with cell signals. GPS triangulates to multiple satellite signals and calculates to very nearly-accurate locations, measured in single-digit feet/meters.

If GPS tracking is enabled on a phone then LE may be provided with very accurate location detail. Without GPS, it is very difficult to pinpoint a location.

Again, this is an oversimplification of the processes but I hope my explanation is understandable in concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member