Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you linked the wrong report because the only reference to homework linked in your post is the quote by Mollie's brother Jake, and it does not say "late in the evening on July 18"...(See #213)

Nope- website story update. Can't control those. I think the info is skewed as to get someone involved thinking. FBI plays games with media, knowing most perps are avidly watching and reading.
Heavy hasn't changed it-yet at least- rest have "updates"
Tibbetts Was Doing Homework on Her Computer Late in the Evening on July 18, Her Family Says
Mollie Tibbetts Update: Reward Offered in Search for Iowa Student | Heavy.com

Last edited:
I was actually just wondering about that. I know we don’t know what the police know but the latest quotes from LE says they can’t rule out foul play which to me seems like a step back from searching hog confinements. If they can’t prove there was a crime at some point will they stop being able to get warrants for various digital data? Does Mollie have a right to privacy on things like her phone if she’s on her parents account? How much tracking can they do without proof she’s in danger or worse? Now they may have that probable cause and we just don’t know but if they don’t then what? At some point if all you have is ‘this isn’t like her’ that’s not really probable cause.

I hope LE approaches every missing person case, remember someone reported this young woman missing, with a great deal of urgency. LE should from the start do everything they can to expediently locate that person. They should work as though something bad has happened because until they actually find the person, the particulars are a mystery. Not until they have made contact and actually spoken to that person should they not be able to use every tool available to solve the case. I can recall in the 1970s cities or towns concerned about tourists would simply hide such cases. That is not supposed to happen today.Families are not supposed to have to wait to file a report. It is not supposed to be a hot potato tossed from one jurisdiction to another.

Not sure what it is about Mollie's case. Maybe it was a false expectation on my part, I thought in the age of cell phones and fitbits, progress would happen quicker with Mollie's case. Is it taking so long because it is a tiny town in IA? The FBI is there now, though. So even if that was the case initially. It shouldn't apply now.

DAY 11/possibly 12 - let's hope this is the day they make contact with Mollie! And her family and friends and all of us who are concerned about missing people can feel a sense of relief and confidence.

It's probably not, and I myself have doubted the word's usage in conjunction with this case, even as I used it -- but I can't help it, I find this case so very odd! (See much above for reasonings.)

Do you have a light? Then beam it towards the truths of this matter!

This is from the national CBS site. Notice they link to KCCI which is an Iowa CBS affiliate. That's where the info. comes from, and KCCI published it more than 24 hours ago.
It's kind of like a game of gossip. The farther you get away from the original source, the more likely there are to be mistakes. Notice that they transposed the name of the BF. It was correct in the KCCI account.
The best outlets to follow in a case like this, IMO, are the local newspaper, TV, and other sources. That means Iowa. They are more vested in the community so they have more motivation to get things accurate.
JMO

Absolutely agree KCCI /local my first choice report except 1)CBS/AP the latest report (i.e., a few hours ago) with 2) a direct quote attributed to a named person (Jake Tibbetts), trumps the local report (without attribute) when applying forensic principles.

Last edited:
(deleted - might have quoted post against TOS)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to welcome our new members to Websleuths.

Please know that Websleuths is not like other forums. We have strict rules.

For example, someone posted a random youtube video of some creepy guy talking about Mollie. I have literally spent most of the night chasing that damn post because people kept quoting it and then telling some random story about another creepy case.

Please forgive me but I am very frustrated.

WE DO NOT ALLOW RANDOM YOUTUBE VIDEOS, RANDOM BLOGS, RANDOM FACEBOOK PAGES, OR RANDOM ANYTHING.

If you post information please make sure it is from a mainstream media source or a law enforcement source.

The biggest problem is people quoting the post that is in violation of our rules.

If you see a rude post or a post you think might violate our terms of service I am begging you, do not quote the post and then berate the poster. The mods have to waste their time removing all these types of posts when in reality they should only have to remove one post. That is the post that violated the rules in the first place.

It has been made very clear by the police who has been cleared. If someone has been cleared you cannot start discussing this person's alibi or why you think this person is weird or anything to hint at or dance around the fact that you still want to discuss their possible guilt.

Harmony 2 is the lead moderator on this thread. I have decided to nominate her for sainthood. If I hadn't lost the Pope's cell phone number I would but alas it won't happen.

What you can do though to help the wonderful Harmony 2 is please do not go off topic and if you are new please learn the rules.

Here is a very quick version of our rules:

1- Don't be a jerk when posting

2-Stick to mainstream media and other approved sources ONLY

3-Do not discuss random people or people who have been cleared.

4-Do not quote a post you know violates the rules. Even if you are not sure if it violates the rules do not quote the post. Instead, report the post. The Report tab is in the bottom left-hand corner of each post.

5-Don't be a jerk when posting. I know I said that already but it is worth saying it again.

You are all, for the most part, doing a fantastic job of taking everything we know about this case and dissecting it all. In fact, this thread on Mollie's disappearance is hands down the most popular discussion on Websleuths. You have thousands of visitors coming to read what you are posting. I would venture to guess probably even mainstream media outlets and law enforcement are reading this thread. Just a guess.

Thank you for your participation, everyone.

Take Care,
Tricia

Happy Hello All. I finally made it through all of the threads. I tried very hard not to reply until I finished. The ACLU comment hit a nerve!

After reading all, I still hold firm the public is not being used efficiently by LE. There may be a reason why - but I fail to see the benefit since this is DAY 10 or 11!

As an aside, most here don't know I was carjacked at gunpoint a few years ago - since that event I carry a pepperspray-teargas with its own glove made for joggers every time I leave my home or car. I wish all girls would start doing this, if they aren't going to carry a gun. I believe we have to plan for the worst and hope for the best -

that means locking doors! Running with others if at all possible. Not answering your door if you are not expecting the person on the other side of it. And being ready to defend yourself in a heartbeat.

Snipped for space.

Good stuff about protection. I do have one of those glove/pepper spray things. But I don't use it enough. I wear my neck knife all the time though.

What was said about the ACLU?

About publicizing info, I really think the FBI knows what it's doing with missing persons' investigations.

But I've heard the same thing in every case including the ones where we later find that LE really knew from almost the beginning what happened and who was involved.

The case of Katlynn Cargill is a prime example. She was killed in June. There wasn't an arrest until 2.5 months later. People were howling about how tight-lipped LE was. But they knew what was up all along. And they were finding the girl and building their case.

They need to pull it together or we'll still be waiting like Lucas Hernandez (months til found- too decomposed to establish manner of death, Mr Chambers, and many more missing (after they were basically shut down to the public) .

ChuckMaureen, Did you make this? I have never seen this program before, it's amazing. I wish I lived anywhere near enough so I could help search these areas.
I wish someone would interpret that for those of us who can't figure it out! lol

This is not a tiny creek. He shouldn't be considered as being abducted by whomever grabbed Mollie.
There is a big difference between a creek (which is exactly what that is - Wolf Creek) and a raging river. To just assume that he was swept away in the river is doing him an injustice.

Just because it is called a creek doesn't mean it is gentle and shallow. After heavy rains, Wolf Creek floods and Wolf Creek also empties into the Cedar River which, btw, is a raging river when it floods.

I don't believe the two cases are related in any way.

Last edited:
This tweet of Mollie's is interesting.

I wonder how often Mollie was planning to have semesters of less than twelve credit hours. At the University of Iowa, a student needs twelve or more to be full time and avoid all kinds of extra charges.

I wonder if she had been living in one of the residence halls and what her plans are going forward.
She said 13 hours. So she would keep full-time enrollment status for financial aid/scholarships/other benefits, but not the full 15-16 of a typical semester. Perhaps she planned to work part-time & wanted to lighten her load to keep her grades up. Her post is funny. Sounds like she was studying a lot this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
in2itive