Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on an earlier thread, people were saying that there was no Uber or Lyft.

There are actually taxi services in the state of Iowa that aren't just Uber and Lyft. We have Uber and Lyft in the Twin Cities and there are other taxi services, too. Sioux City, Iowa didn't even get Uber until sometime last year. I have never seen a taxi in a small rural town in Iowa. But... there is a taxi service that serves the Brooklyn area. Whatever that means... Best 14 Taxi Cab Service in Brooklyn, IA with Reviews - YP.com

OK here is the link for Mollie on the IOWA Missing Person Clearinghouse (anyone hate that title too?) She is listed as "other adult missing"
Missing Persons

The press conference announcement had a report attached - It is called

IOWA MISSING PERSONS FY2018 ANNUAL REPORT

Anyone wonder why they are publishing missing person report for the year NOW before July is even over? Does the state of Iowa use June to May instead of January to December?

Leaves me to wonder if their annual numbers are skewed in ViCap?

Also, the report is interesting or is the better word telling?

The report doesn't provide a starting date - so have 5844 juveniles went missing, 1185 adults went missing.
The report is full of holes and difficult to understand because of the holes but it is clear more people are going missing in IOWA! The report uses two different labels for the same thing I think - "R" is used for Adults and "Unspecified" is used for Juveniles.

Again, Mollie is classified as "other adult missing" -
That is not included in this report?

OH what to make of this report...
Notice of Press Conference

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/pib/Releases/2018/07-30-2018_DPS_IAMPFY2018AnnualReport.pdf

Interested in others' take of that report.

I'm pretty sure somebody said in a previous thread that U of Iowa uses Canvas.

Edit: Yes, Canvas. Source: Canvas Adoption FAQ | Information Technology Services

Thank you! I view Canvas as a type of octopus monster that is linearly sequentially challenged. Also, the interface leaves much to be desired regarding integrity of grades.

D2L is the high-end pay-to-use LMS, Canvas is free. Analytics for D2L are sophisticated regarding academic integrity, meaning high end data on who is doing what and where under that student ID number. It's an expensive LMS, which is why many smaller post secondary institutions use Canvas.

IP address, time spent on course elements (e.g.: discussion thread) and total time spent accessing the online course are available using D2L. There was a recent D2L update that may include device ID, don't know. It would matter if the coursework was done on her phone. That's not a common option.

Mollie's dad was interviewed on Fox tonight. He stated that they do NOT know if Mollie returned home after running. They have no facts. They weren't told this by LE. They can only speculate.

It seems to me that the FBI would be able to tell if she was back home, on her computer, after 7:30. I am not an IT person so I don't know. But I thought that the computer would hold clues if she logged in at 8 pm and worked on her homework.

It seems to me that the FBI would be able to tell if she was back home, on her computer, after 7:30. I am not an IT person so I don't know. But I thought that the computer would hold clues if she logged in at 8 pm and worked on her homework.

If she used Chrome or some other Google service on the computer it would know. Facebook would know, too. You can tell on Facebook where your profile was accessed. Google also keeps data of when you use their services/products.

Anything and everything on the victims social media has always been on the table, at least in the cases I’ve followed. So why would this case be different? Maybe we can get a mod to confirm one way or the other.
I don't believe that is completely accurate. Each case has circumstantial allowances. We have rarely been able to sleuth anyone but the missing and a POI/suspect. Sometimes we get gimme's, but not often. And we never ever victim bash, which has always included family members. Also though, seems that if a mod says we can't openly sleuth someone, then that's kind of the rule of that thread. I hope this sort of approach can simply be accepted at face value because I am interested in your posts.

OK here is the link for Mollie on the IOWA Missing Person Clearinghouse (anyone hate that title too?) She is listed as "other adult missing"
Missing Persons

The press conference announcement had a report attached - It is called

IOWA MISSING PERSONS FY2018 ANNUAL REPORT

Anyone wonder why they are publishing missing person report for the year NOW before July is even over? Does the state of Iowa use June to May instead of January to December?

Leaves me to wonder if their annual numbers are skewed in ViCap?

Also, the report is interesting or is the better word telling?

The report doesn't provide a starting date - so have 5844 juveniles went missing, 1185 adults went missing.
The report is full of holes and difficult to understand because of the holes but it is clear more people are going missing in IOWA! The report uses two different labels for the same thing I think - "R" is used for Adults and "Unspecified" is used for Juveniles.

Again, Mollie is classified as "other adult missing" -
That is not included in this report?

OH what to make of this report...
Notice of Press Conference

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/pib/Releases/2018/07-30-2018_DPS_IAMPFY2018AnnualReport.pdf

Interested in others' take of that report.
It states FY2018, FY stands for fiscal year, so yes, I would expect the year runs on a different time frame than a calendar year. Maybe July 1-June 30.

There are actually taxi services in the state of Iowa that aren't just Uber and Lyft. We have Uber and Lyft in the Twin Cities and there are other taxi services, too. Sioux City, Iowa didn't even get Uber until sometime last year. I have never seen a taxi in a small rural town in Iowa. But... there is a taxi service that serves the Brooklyn area. Whatever that means... Best 14 Taxi Cab Service in Brooklyn, IA with Reviews - YP.com

I looked, the closest cab company (in Newton) is 38 miles away. That city is in another county and is about 10x bigger than Brooklyn.

Getting taxis to rural areas can be a pain and would also be very expensive since MT would have to pay for the taxis to drive all the way out to Brooklyn.

I know Mollie is older, but it's beginning to sound like the AH missing teen in NH... she was kidnapped, and held hostage for months! All along FBI and NH investigators kept saying they felt she was alive. And she was!

I also brought up the Abigail Hernandez case in here. I agree the same thing could have happened to Mollie. The three girls missing from Ohio were found alive,too. The Ohio girls were missing for a decade and they were kept hostage in someone's house.

Thank you! I view Canvas as a type of octopus monster that is linearly sequentially challenged. Also, the interface leaves much to be desired regarding integrity of grades.

D2L is the high-end pay-to-use LMS, Canvas is free. Analytics for D2L are sophisticated regarding academic integrity, meaning high end data on who is doing what and where under that student ID number. It's an expensive LMS, which is why many smaller post secondary institutions use Canvas.

IP address, time spent on course elements (e.g.: discussion thread) and total time spent accessing the online course are available using D2L. There was a recent D2L update that may include device ID, don't know. It would matter if the coursework was done on her phone. That's not a common option.
University of Iowa isn't what I'd classify as a small school, by any stretch.

ETA:. So are you saying Canvas doesn't track an IP address?

Absolutely. The computer would indicate use timelines, and the online course access would be recorded on the LMS. It's quite possible that she was online for her course and chatting with friends on social media at the same time. She went for a run around 7 or 7:30 according to linked timelines. Her online course activity would provide the IP address where she accessed the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18