DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@gitana1 and JoJoJo (my quote went funky;) )
Sadly all so true. Thank you for such an informative post.
And I agree with both of you 1000% in this regard.
My sharing with truckers and drivers and others of all stripes is to get Mollie's picture and info out there. People do remember things that they casually saw passing thru a small town...it may prompt a memory.
It's a little more likely than a true serial killer/kidnapper on the loose. But we all know they prey among us every day. They strike like lightening and are gone as fast.
I too believe the answer is within the "area" where Mollie disappeared.
ETA a couple detectives not involved in any way in this case discussed it with me and at first glance they were concerned about a "serial", but on further inspection on the "40 missing" it does not seem likely.
IMHO

The family stated the dogs sleep with her, when she is home.

Being that they were in the basement, this really makes me think that someone came to pick her up for work as she was finishing getting ready. She put the dogs in the basement for the day, and let whoever her ride was, into the house as she finished getting ready. At that point, the driver could have knocked her out / immobilized her unsuspectingly and carried her to the car. Her phone could have been in her pocket. She wouldn’t have had her contacts in yet or glasses on if she was in the process of getting ready for work.

Does anyone recall ever hearing LE canvased the neighborhood?

I know that we all assume they did but I am just curious if they actually did it. It is country. And neighbors are not right on top of each other. I don't know what sort of initial grid they used. LE became involved as that critical first 48 hours was nearing its end. I can see how some may be related to folks to local LE/City Council/... There have been cases where a neighbor next door or a neighbor down the street or a neighbor who lived at a particular address not long before was never contacted. And it isn't until years later and cold case reviews bring it to light and new critically important information helps solve cases.

There was a separate interview where DCI Special Agent in Charge Richard Rahn said they interviewed over 100 people on Friday alone. Today he is saying over 200 interviews in total- all conducted after tips. Anyone else have a bad reaction to that? I honestly don't know why he would say this? Someone please explain. Could it create a chilling effect?

I would have thought it would have been better if he said simply let it appear their investigative skills had led to 200 folks being interviewed. It almost sounded to me as though he was distancing himself and placing the responsibility on some tipsters.

AND at the same time he has been telling reporters he has called in more agents to stamp down rumors!

What are the locals supposed to think and do to stay inside the lines this man has drawn?

I see a disconnect here. Maybe it is because of a well known and documented small town dynamic. This place has only 1500 people. The whole county of Poweshiek County has less than 19,000 people!

Someone help we understand why it was necessary or advantageous to use the media this way in this missing person case?

"Law enforcement will also be repeating the neighborhood canvas near Mollie’s home, jogging, and work routes. The entire community was taking part in the ground search over the last two days, so many neighbors were not at their homes at the time of the first neighborhood canvas," wrote Heaston, Tibbetts' cousin.

"The important part of ceasing the ground search is that those residents are home and available to speak with law enforcement."

Poweshiek County Sheriff Tom Kriegel "is confident that every home in Brooklyn has been visited. Every farm building, barn and shed in the area has been searched," Heaston wrote.

New clues sought as search continues for UI student in Poweshiek County

I was just catching up reading and had a thought on the dogs. I don't think if Mollie was home that night she would put the dogs in the basement! She was there alone and not used to being alone at night.
The dogs being in the basement tell me either Mollie put them there on her way out to work or somebody came by the house and put them there! Somebody that knew that's where they were kept. A stranger would just put them in a room and close the door.

I feel like this is an important indicator that she either left for work, just like any other day, or someone came in and put them away as to not have them get in the way of whatever they were planning to do, or cause any noise. Also, she could have put them there when she was on her way to her moms.

Mollie's father spoke with her for three hours on the phone and 3 days later she was missing. What was dicussed in this conversation, what was her state of mind? Did she discuss any concerns with her life/ relationships? Frustrations? Plans? I hope her father was was completelely honest and revealed everything, the good, bad and ugly.

The pleas to come home and the statements by multiple sources that there is hope/confidence that she is still alive, the nationwide search, including Utah, the lack of warning to the public by le that there may be a dangerous person or kidnapper on the loose, may be indicators that she may have have left willingly, did she hitchhike? Catch a ride from a stranger or someone she casually new? at first, maybe it was supposed to be for a little awhile and now she might be held against her will? Or not ready to come home?

As of now that is the direction I'm leaning towards (which provides the most hope that she is still alive) until new information comes out to reveal a stuggle, abduction, etc., maybe that day will be today.

Last edited:
13 days, no vehicle BOLO, not even a vague description of a POI, no firm location or time where they believe she was last safe. Doesn't matter if they've interviewed 50 or 500 people. By now, they have examined the relevant ISP and wireless data; vetted alibis, executed search warrants; imaged her remaining devices and the devices of those in regular contact with her; done sit downs with co-workers, family and associates, examined CCTV footage, canvassed the nabes, done some knock 'n talks, pulled the trash, etc. If they processed the house, some of that will have come back. Not sure if AFIS would even be useful due to the traffic. The one thing I have not seen is a line of stern faced LE behind a dais filled with microphones making a plea to a witness they may have overlooked; the delivery driver, paper boy, trash collector, perhaps someone from another community who was picking someone up or dropping them off, maybe someone getting off the second shift. As it stands now, who of those potential witnesses would know if they may have seen something relevant without a time or location?

So succinct and so absolutely ON POINT! Bravo Strippling!

Regarding the canvassing the neighborhood, which I have no way of knowing, it is so very vital.
In Holly Bobo's case how far did her killer live from her? 15 miles I believe. This case is really ringing a bell for me. :(
{But her family had suspicions that her kidnapper may be someone who lived in the tiny, “safe” area all along.}
{ But the address that Tate disclosed as the spot where investigators searched is 15 miles away from the Bobos' home in Parsons.}
{“Early on, it’s like we looked at everybody — ‘Was it you? Was it you?’” said Holly’s mother, Karen. “Evidently there’s someone out there that we did not know.”}
Holly Bobo's Family Suspected Her Kidnapper Lived Nearby

I think the dogs being in the basement is HUGE. If it was stated by the family, as someone previously said on here, that the dogs slept with her at night but they were found in the basement then clearly she was preparing to leave the house or had already left the house when she went missing. OR that someone who knew her/the dogs/the boyfriend is involved and they are the ones that put the dogs in the basement. Would be interesting to hear the dogs condition once found in the basement (hungry? gone to the bathroom down there after being left too long? etc?). As stated before...if only dogs could talk!

2 Amtrak stations, 2 Greyhound terminals, 2 large interstates (35 and 80) and Des Moines Airport are all within 100+/- radius. I also checked and it is possible to schedule an Uber From Des Moines to Brooklyn for $82. If you can get an outbound Uber you may be able to get one to come out. There are at least 27 cab companies serving the Des Moines area per a google search.

Although it may not be likely she left on her own accord, it is possible. I would not base what her future plans may or may not have been on statements from distraught parents and friends.

I think LE has a pretty good idea what happened and they probably don’t need help from the public at this point.

Stippling's post. Spot on.

13 days later no one's going to call in a "tip" unless LE releases new information to spark a random memory/force a tattle. and yes i do understand "close to the vest". but we're talkin' desperate measures at a desperate time.

someone has to squeal. pardon the hog farm pun. but i do believe that's what her father was trying to say. someone has to snitch. JMO.

Good morning, Chi.

Press conference today at 1:30PM CDT, although I don't expect to learn much.

Rick Rahn, a special agent in charge at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, told Fox News that no case facts will be laid out during the press conference. Mollie Tibbetts' father says he is putting his faith in the investigators

So they want the public to help but all we know for sure is her description and she was jogging somewhere between 7:30 and 8. There may have been a crime, there may not have been a crime. The public may be safe, the public may not be safe. Thanks for all the information there Mr. Rahn. I'm assuming they are giving the parents more info, but if I were the parents and that is all the info they were giving me, I would be so pissed and would have a private investigator.

While it is certainly frustrating that LE has kept quiet about many details involving this case, I trust that their tight lipped approach is for the good of Mollie. Usually, there is a reason they are approaching a situation in silence instead of calling on the public to help - I think they have a good idea of what happened.

Did anyone else feel as if her father was pleading to HER to return home and not a kidnapper or abductor? Almost as if he feels she left at her own accord.

They called off the civilian searches, so they could find residents at home to interview, yet they've only done 200 interviews? There are 15 agents in town, yet they've only done 200 interviews? That number better be wrong.

While it is certainly frustrating that LE has kept quiet about many details involving this case, I trust that their tight lipped approach is for the good of Mollie. Usually, there is a reason they are approaching a situation in silence instead of calling on the public to help - I think they have a good idea of what happened.

Did anyone else feel as if her father was pleading to HER to return home and not a kidnapper or abductor? Almost as if he feels she left at her own accord.
No, I think the FBI is using a specific tactic. They haven't let the family address the beast who took Mollie. They haven't allowed the family to beg for her return.

I have always thought, from day one, it was an abduction but I just watched the father's plead on Youtube <modsnipped> Edited: I meant to quote a previous poster's message but the quote thingy is not working for me.

<modsnipped not substantiated>

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good point about the neighbor home that was sold recently.

Her home location scared me when I saw the overhead view of it and saw how it was right on the end of a rural street. And when I saw the electric company right next door then it really bothered me. There are no other homes in the one direction. Just open farmland. Easy for a perp to take off with no witnesses from her house.

Im still concerned an electric contractor or an employee patterned her and may be invovled. They would be there in early hours each day.

I found it interesting that the power company offered a reward too but that may not mean anything. Just found it interesting.

My thoughts about the Power Co. They are routinely asked to donate for causes I bet. And they are right next door. I worried more about their trucks parked there and the possibility someone had tried to steal copper or equipment from there as Mollie was coming home from her run and...

When it comes to rewards, call me jaded when it comes to small town disappearances, The pinnacle was Tara Grinstead's dad's $100,000 that did zero to find her. There is a special dynamic when it comes to small towns.

I do wonder if LE has spoken to the old owners. If it was a rental for a time -which is possible there may be several different sets of folks and their visitors to contact. And then there is a constrution fellas. And since Mollies bf is in that biz there may have been someone who knew BF out of town and Mollie was alone there.

I just see lots of reasons for many folks to contact the police. Interviewing is not only to determine if the person in the room is a suspect. It is a tool to garner information. Could be someone may know something without realizing it's value. Could be the interview brings something to light the person had forgotten too.

I is important to make yourself available to LE - they just need cooperation and participation to bring the best result in the shortest time.

I have always thought, from day one, it was an abduction but I just watched the father's plead on Youtube <modsnipped>
That's what I am thinking. His plea seemed more towards her and not a captor. Of course anything is possible at this point, but that was my reaction to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member