Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which may just be reason to reconsider the protocols for ANY missing person, especially a teen or college aged person imo. When it comes to MISSING PEOPLE - time is the enemy.

We can't expect good results if protocols are antiquated.

LOL that would never happen. Imagine all the wasted resources running down people who change their plans at the last minute and don’t care to tell anyone, adults stuck in traffic with a dead cellphone battery, or people like me who sometimes just want to not be constantly reachable for a little while. As adults we are afforded the right to go where we want and not have to tell anyone. Mollie had that right too.

At this point, after so many threads, I have no idea when she went missing.
Was it on her run, after her run, was she home that evening, was it on her way to her Moms? I seriously don't know.

If she went missing in any of the above scenarios, does it matter who was supposed to drive her to work in the morning?
I may be missing something, but the only way it matters is if she went missing that morning. JMHO

At this point, after so many threads, I have no idea when she went missing.
Was it on her run, after her run, was she home that evening, was it on her way to her Moms? I seriously don't know.

If she went missing in any of the above scenarios, does it matter who was supposed to drive her to work in the morning?
I may be missing something, but the only way it matters is if she went missing that morning. JMHO
It matters in that we haven't heard that anybody noticed a problem first thing in the morning. Only later after she hadn't turned up at work and wasn't responding to contact efforts.

My life has been busy, so I hadn't turned on a TV, or read any news online for a bit, so I am just starting to get knowledge on this case. Maybe someone can help me with this detail I am unclear on. It seems like there's some certainty that she went missing either during her jog, or not long after. What has lead us (and LE) to think she didn't go missing in the morning? With the shirt she needed to wear to work missing, and the dogs in the basement, my first thought is she was ready for work, or nearly ready, when she disappeared. Did I miss some case facts to contridict this?

You have things right. Missing in the morning is still an option on the table. We just dont know. Both options have been discussed. I think when the recent news came out about her studying then focus started to be toward possibly going missing the evening before. But going missing the next morning is still an option.

I hope LE can give us their best guess of what they think in the news conference today.

From what I’ve heard of Mollie so far it seems that she very much loved her family. I don’t think she would just take off. I esp. remember being that age and being boy crazy. I don’t think she would leave her bf either. I initially thought she went for a jog, but now I’m hoping the police will interview anyone and everyone who knew she was at that house (obviously not the people they cleared, but maybe a acquaintance she could’ve mentioned it to). Maybe they need to re search the areas near the house. The Sherin Mathews case comes to mind, where she was literally only a few blocks from
The house hidden in a drain. I just hope they find her soon, her dad broke my heart.

I was just catching up reading and had a thought on the dogs. I don't think if Mollie was home that night she would put the dogs in the basement! She was there alone and not used to being alone at night.
The dogs being in the basement tell me either Mollie put them there on her way out to work or somebody came by the house and put them there! Somebody that knew that's where they were kept. A stranger would just put them in a room and close the door.

Today, the Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office plans to hold a news conference announcing a new reward at 1:30 p.m. KCCI will stream that news conference on the KCCI News App and our Facebook page.

New details expected today in Mollie Tibbetts case

new reward? was this posted already?
If correct about a new reward I guess it rules out an announcement that Mollie has been found or that a suspect has been arrested?

It matters in that we haven't heard that anybody noticed a problem first thing in the morning. Only later after she hadn't turned up at work and wasn't responding to contact efforts.

I really hadn't thought of that, I am ashamed to say.

so, its a possibility that she had arranged a drive and wasn't there, but we don't know that for sure

You have things right. Missing in the morning is still an option on the table. We just dont know. Both options have been discussed. I think when the recent news came out about her studying then focus started to be toward possibly going missing the evening before. But going missing the next morning is still an option.

I hope LE can give us their best guess of what they think in the news conference today.

They NEED to tell the public that timeline. Heck nobody knows when to rack their brain about if they could have seen Mollie night or day! Even that neighbor that saw her go jogging has to have some kind of time so he can think back to something that might have been different or important!

Yes! I went to know if someone was supposed to pick her up and did they call her when she wasn’t outside waiting? Knock on the door? It didn’t seem weird to them that she didn’t show up? Is there proof that they even went by her house to pick her up, or did they know she wasn’t working that day because they harmed her somehow.

If she didn’t set up a ride, or worse, let all her usual rides think someone else was driving her, it will make me think she disappeared herself. If person *advertiser censored* and person B* usually drive her, and she let each of them think she was driving in with the other, but really she wasn’t going at all, I will think she knew she was leaving town.

*person A and B are hypothetical and not me sleuthing anyone. IMO

If correct about a new reward I guess it rules out an announcement that Mollie has been found or that a suspect has been arrested?

With the pieces we think we know and don't know, including muddied 'facts' and LE activities-to-date and holding extremely close to the vest, this feels like a ST case and likely LE doesn't want that highlighted. We can't discuss it here, I'm only stating MO.

I offer advice learned from my schooling of hard knocks:
Concentrate on the facts.
Back up your statements.
Don’t tangle with pros.
Excellent advice! I would add, assume positive tone when reading stuff written on the internet :)

I was just catching up reading and had a thought on the dogs. I don't think if Mollie was home that night she would put the dogs in the basement! She was there alone and not used to being alone at night.
The dogs being in the basement tell me either Mollie put them there on her way out to work or somebody came by the house and put them there! Somebody that knew that's where they were kept. A stranger would just put them in a room and close the door.
Bolding mine. I am not sure she wasn't used to being alone at night. We haven't heard much about how common it was for everyone else to be away for work but I imagine it may have not been that uncommon give their work and that many projects were likely spread around away from the town. It's possible, I'm just saying it's not as certain as this statement makes it sound.

I really hadn't thought of that, I am ashamed to say.

so, its a possibility that she had arranged a drive and wasn't there, but we don't know that for sure
Yes, or she didn't have a chance to arrange a drive because whatever happened happened before she got to that.

Which may just be reason to reconsider the protocols for ANY missing person, especially a teen or college aged person imo. When it comes to MISSING PEOPLE - time is the enemy.

We can't expect good results if protocols are antiquated.

Amen, amen, amen!

The Heavy.com article with the interview with the BF’s Mom said Mollie stayed alone there previously, and that she basically lived there. So it doesn’t seem unusual at all that she was there alone.

LOL that would never happen. Imagine all the wasted resources running down people who change their plans at the last minute and don’t care to tell anyone, adults stuck in traffic with a dead cellphone battery, or people like me who sometimes just want to not be constantly reachable for a little while. As adults we are afforded the right to go where we want and not have to tell anyone. Mollie had that right too.

it's really a frustrating conundrum. because you are 100% right, adults have the right to leave without telling anyone. and yet I also see where the other poster is coming from because in the cases that it's NOT a voluntary disappearance, time is indeed the enemy. Sigh.

Thirteen days later, finally a real news conference. I'm mulling over the reasons;
  • Strategic announcement designed to make someone squirm.
  • Really have no idea what happened to Mollie, and want to renew interest in submitting tips.
  • Release limited details to quell the rumor mills, and improve public perception of the investigation.
Or, maybe it will just be a repetitive bunch of "we can't comment on that right now" ...

I'm voting for #3 and the last comment!

Are you characterizing law enforcement as dumb? Mollie Tibbetts wasn't reported missing until 5:56pm on Thursday July 19th. She was already missing at least 10 1/2 hours and as much as 22 hours by that time. Law enforcement isn't going to ping someone's phone just because they get a report of a missing adult. They would first have to determine or have a reasonable belief that she didn't voluntarily go somewhere on her own. Law enforcement would only ping early if it were a missing juvenile, an endangered adult (such as one that made suicidal statements), or there was evidence of an abduction and/or foul play.

We also have via MSM, i believe video early on of bf stating attempts were made to call MT's phone which went to voicemail

"She probably has her cell phone, but it's either off or dead, and we've tried calling it obviously and it goes straight to voicemail."

Boyfriend of missing college student not a suspect

One other possibility is that the dogs also sleep in the basement, too, but LE is leaving that info out.

Regarding her going missing in the morning... That just seems like a risky time to kidnap a person because their not showing up for work could send people looking almost immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mkmatti