Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Investigators probing the disappearance of Mollie Tibbetts were keeping details of the mystifying case close to the vest Monday, refusing to elaborate on the condition of the house where she'd been staying, even amid new information suggesting the home was her last known location.

Rick Rahn, a special agent in charge at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, would not go into specifics as to whether or not officials found any signs of forced entry at the home she'd been staying at on the date she vanished, or if investigators found indications of an unknown person or persons on the property.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/30/mollie-tibbetts-case-investigators-keeping-details-close-to-vest-key-questions-remain-unanswered.html

The article incorrectly stated that the BF owned the house. That’s Fox News for you.

Thinking so much about Mollie has brought back a really old memory of mine. When I was 18-19, I worked at a restaurant on weekends. Sometimes I would need to take the bus there or home if I didn't have my parents car to borrow. One Fri or Sat night, after getting off the bus and walking like 3 blocks, I had to take my shoes off because there were killing me......and earlier in the evening, one of my contacts fell out, so I was truly half blind. Lo and behold, a car pulls up, but going the other direction/across the street. He stops and waves and says "Hey"....very friendly. I swear I thought it was a guy that I knew (Doug)....I thought, awesome, a ride home the rest of the way. So I approached the car on the passengers side and hopped in. It wasn't until I was IN the car that I realized it wasn't Doug....just some stranger with a similar car. I said, "Oh, I thought you were this guy that I KNEW".....now the car starts moving.....I said "My house is just a few blocks"....He complied with my directions, but as we got close to my house, I'm saying, "Stop, it's right here....stop!" He starts speeding up and went right past my house.....I guess he was getting a kick out of me being scared. Thank God he let me out then and I ran to my house and got safely in the door. I'm thinking how lucky I am, and praying the wrong person didn't pick up Mollie.

Thanks for sharing your true story. We can all learn from this.

And dont feel alone. At least you didnt do what my wife and I did after calling a private car service in NYC late one night. It had gotten dark on us because we stayed out too late at a friends house in Queens where no yellow cabs drive by. And we had to get back to the city and didnt want to ride the subways at night. So we called a private car service in the yellow pages at a pay phone on the corner and were waiting for him.

This large sedan car pulls up and the way he acted we swore to ourselves this was our car service because he rolled down the window and waved us over to get in. So we jump in and after 1 block we realize this guy is just a guy that was crusing the streets. We just about did a 1,2,3 and were about to jump out of a moving car onto the concrete when we realized he was sincere about trying to find out where we needed to go to make a buck off of us. After we successfully found our destination I tipped the guy very well. Not because of the great ride but because we were happy to be alive. :)

I have been doing some research on the farms but I thought TOS here was that we can't sleuth anything/anyone unless they are a named suspect? Maybe a moderator can clarify. I have alot of info on the farms that is in public domain.

You are correct... we are not allowed to sleuth anyone/anything unless designated as a suspect. Of course, our rules are not black and white and may vary slightly on a case by case basis but for the most part it is a general rule and applies here. thanks

You are correct... we are not allowed to sleuth anyone/anything unless designated as a suspect. Of course, our rules are not black and white and may change on a case by case basis but for the most part it is a general rule and applies here. thanks
Thanks!

Another thought, maybe she decided to walk/jog to work part of the way and then hitchhiked, got a ride from a stranger, which led to an abduction. . . .

I wondered the same thing? Did she ever hitchhike? Maybe she chose to that morning because of the weather? She could have packed a bag with that red shirt and headed down 170 toward Highway 6. Some folks have said that route is a lonely route where there are few cars but maybe in the morning when folks are heading to work it is different?

Shouldn't be hard to narrow down what trucks were in the area that day if company officials are willing to help. Not sure of what they will share. Grateful idea and good luck !

RSBM. She wasn't just overnighting, she basically split time there with time at her mom's house all summer. She stayed there regularly with him.

Do we know that for certain?

I saw a quote - not sure where and I can't quote it exactly - in which someone (her mom?) indicated she was at the bf's half the time or something like that. But that doesn't necessrily means she sleeps over there or keeps enough of her belongings over there that she doesn't need to go home in the mornings to get ready for work.

I'd have said our son spent half his time at his girlfriend's home while in college, but he didn't ever spend the night there (she was at home with her parents for the summer). He lived at our house, all his stuff was at our house... but he was over there to hang out, watch movies, etc., half the time.

So do we know for certain that she frequently *slept* at the bf's place and would've had clothes, toiletries, and foods to make lunches there? Or is it just as likely that all her stuff was back at her own home?

Is her brother really going to be worrying about how she, a runner, will get from BF’s to family home? One mile away? It makes no sense he would ask her this at 7:30am when he assumes she is at work. I am disabled and could hobble a mile if I had to lol, plans would not be made 12hrs in advance to get me that distance.

Still catching up this am, but had a thought. Forgive me if it’s been mentioned. With respect to the mother and/or brother saying LE told them that Mollie may have been home doing homework late in the evening, or asking whether she was indoors at 9:45...

LE has been known to mislead or even outright LIE to people who are being questioned. It’s very possible that early on, before the family was cleared, that they were asking misleading questions to try to get someone to trip up. It’s also possible, as they interviewed other people, questions were raised that caused them to circle back to family members for clarification or to check out info suggested by another person.

It’s also highly likely that LE interviewed each person separately, and they compared notes afterward. In the stress of everything, questions/comments from LE could also be misinterpreted, and twisted in the retelling.

So, I guess what I’m getting at is, I’d take the info about her possibly being home studying that night with a grain of salt.

130 Central Time (1 hr behind US East Coast time - so I guess 8 hrs behind London Summer time if that is where you are - London is 7 hrs ahead of US East Coast I believe?). Hope that helps.
Actually Pacific is 8 hours behind London time. The East Coast is 5 hours behind so the conference is 6 hours behind London time. It is at central time (I saw you asked in a different post).
@Weeobanite

Most that I have seen do not specify where exactly the ride home was from. I have always assumed it was a ride home from work. I guess it is possible that it was a ride back to her mother's house from her boyfriend's house, but those two houses are only like a mile apart. Most runner-types I know would just want to walk/jog it, and would think it was silly to consider using a car to go such a short distance.

I've always understood it to be a ride home from WORK. But I just realized something--we've heard that the weather that morning was really nasty--so that does open up the possibility of him asking her if she wants a ride home from bf's place--so she doesn't get drenched with rain/swept away with wind/struck by lightning. (Sounds more thoughtful than an average brother, but who knows?)(just joking with that last comment. :(

Someone asked earlier (@Hatfield maybe??) where the info about the 3 hour phone convo with dad came from, can't find it now with so much activity here. In his interview with Fox he said they talked for 3 hours on Sunday which I agree with your post, does seem excessive, but he made it seem like this was a normal thing since they live so far apart. He said they talked about the wedding, books she was reading, school, etc.

Mollie Tibbetts' father says he is putting his faith in the investigators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member