Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he said, “so that’s a no”? And I believe the facial expression made when that was said was due to the fact that he knows it’s true, (but doesn’t want the public to know it’s true)
That they have no evidence, theories, they have nothing. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know, I am just saying that’s how his body language looked when that was said. He didn’t look too happy to have it put like that from the reporter.
Thou who protests and all that, and that facial was a protest.

Interesting facial expression after reporter asked about POI, and then followed up with, "That's not a 'no."

The family of the missing has made only supportive comments of LE thus far. Why should we, as outsiders, believe there has been incompetence, if those closest do not feel that way?
Exactly. Law enforcement has to play this close to the vest, much to the chagrin of the public. Just because they aren’t offering up much in the way of information, doesn’t mean they haven’t made progress. If they have a suspect, they may be presently conducting surveillance, and don’t want to hinder the investigation by tipping their hand. There is presently no indication of incompetence.

Don't expect anything more on Friday. I think they made it clear, they are not going to answer any questions. I think the media should boycott their future press conferences. They are pointless.
When reporters cover the press conferences (even if it's non-news to WSers following the case so closely), it keeps Mollie in the news. The case needs that! We want coverage.

jmo

Hope I'm wrong, but my takeaway is they don't have any idea what happened. They are stumped and have little to no evidence. Not even enough to really prove that there has been foul play. They even tried to leave some wiggle room about her leaving voluntarily. I mean, they said it wouldn't be like her to leave on her own (or something like that), but I don't see how saying something like "we do not believe she left voluntarily" would compromise anything.

Literally the only info they offered was:
- Last seen at 7:30 on July 18 in Brooklyn wearing black shorts, pink top, running shoes
- Didn't show up for work on July 19
- Leaving voluntarily wouldn't be consistent with what they know about her

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be able to answer some of the questions asked by the reporters even if they can't give specific answers, unless they just really don't know. And to be clear, I'm not blaming LE.

IDK. Is it like her to leave for long periods of time and not contact family or her BF at all ? Knowing that there are 30 agents working hard to find her ? Did she have an ATM card with her ? Any recent bank withdrawals ? any of her clothing missing ? Any history of depression ? Was she sounding sad or depressed when she last spoke for 3 hours to her father ? usually LE will mention such things. I believe she was abducted. jmo

Jmo people of this age may not have a history of depression but could sink very quckly if something went wrong in their lives, or in their minds. My brother was struck with mental illness at 20 that seemingly came out of nowhere and thirty years later, he is only worse. You never know.

So my takeaway at the moment is:

* Not a random abduction by a stranger. If it were, I think there would have been a stronger answer to "Is the public in danger?"

* If an abduction, it was someone close to Mollie and it's sensitive, rather than a stalking situation or an acquaintance lusting from afar.

* She left voluntarily (which was not on my list at all until today).

The conference may have indicated more progress than we are initially thinking. Let's let it sink in before deciding it was a big bunch of nothing.

jmopinion

I do, and I hope I’m right. Unless it was to go away and commit suicide because I want her alive and well and just missing on her own.
Mollie did not have access to a car. So if she were (God forbid) to have gone off and committed suicide somewhere, it would be somewhere within walking/running distance; for sake of argument, let's say a 5-mile radius. I think this is unlikely because 1) she had her phone and Fitbit with her, 2) LE searched the local area with trained dogs. I just think she would have been found by now. IMHO.

It is common for family to be supportive and to praise police even without a case having made progress, because they feel that LE is their only hope. They also are seeing up close the investment LE has with this case and how hard they are trying, so they have enourmous gratitude. On the flip side, some families will get frustrated and upset with LE which is a very normal reaction as well, but this family is likely seeing up close the dedication to this case LE has. I believe LE is doing all they can. But I believe they have nothing.

Exactly. Law enforcement has to play this close to the vest, much to the chagrin of the public. Just because they aren’t offering up much in the way of information, doesn’t mean they haven’t made progress. If they have a suspect, they may be presently conducting surveillance, and don’t want to hinder the investigation by tipping their hand. There is presently no indication of incompetence.

Let me ask this.... how many of you text while jogging? Or do you wait to get home? Maybe I am naive or crazy, but only one POI makes sense based on the very little information being released. It also explains why the police are keeping this tight to the chest - to be absolutely sure before accusing this person.

Well a witness did see her walk by on her phone, so she may have been taking a break from running and sent some texts

Let me ask this.... how many of you text while jogging? Or do you wait to get home? Maybe I am naive or crazy, but only one POI makes sense based on the very little information being released. It also explains why the police are keeping this tight to the chest - to be absolutely sure before accusing this person.
Everyone's different, but I generally wait until I get home.

Hope I'm wrong, but my takeaway is they don't have any idea what happened. They are stumped and have little to no evidence. Not even enough to really prove that there has been foul play. They even tried to leave some wiggle room about her leaving voluntarily. I mean, they said it wouldn't be like her to leave on her own (or something like that), but I don't see how saying something like "we do not believe she left voluntarily" would compromise anything.

BBM. It may compromise the investigation- I can think of a few ways. First of all, if they have a POI they probably want him/her to think they have no information..especially if they think MT is alive. If Mollie is alive it could be dangerous alerting a POI that they are onto them.

Second, if Mollie left of her own volition, maybe they don't want her thinking they believe she did/didn't so they don't scare her. If she did leave on her own, imagine what she must be feeling right now. She probably didn't anticipate how big this thing would get. I'd be scared, if I were her.

I definitely think that there is a concrete reason the investigators have for keeping all details of the investigation quiet. Frankly, it isn't for us to know right now. Fingers crossed she's ok and will be home soon.

I thought he said, “so that’s a no”? And I believe the facial expression made when that was said was due to the fact that he knows it’s true, (but doesn’t want the public to know it’s true)
That they have no evidence, theories, they have nothing. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know, I am just saying that’s how his body language looked when that was said. He didn’t look too happy to have it put like that from the reporter.
It was the way he said it and his corners of mouth had a slight smile. It’s a non verbal that is usually connected to someone having a secret. The no could have been a frustrated no but it wasn’t . Also he just wanted to get the he** off that stage . I’ve never seen such an abrupt ending and race to exit the area!

I text with my husband all the time when I'm running. It's not my favorite thing to do but he asks me questions and usually I answer them pretty soon after. I do get annoyed when I have to stop and pull out my phone to do it, vs answering via my watch though. Sometimes I answer texts from other people too during a run, particularly if they ask a question that would be annoying to leave them hanging on until I'm done and it's a longer run...

So I don't think that's conclusive.

A theory I hadn't put much weight on has moved up in my list of possibilities. That 3-hour conversation with her dad and the statement from the conference about "getting to know Mollie" makes me wonder if this was someone she was close to that others were largely unaware of. And that she probably confided in someone about this person so he/she isn't a total mystery. All MOO and pure speculation from my amateur armchair.

It is common for family to be supportive and to praise police even without a case having made progress, because they feel that LE is their only hope. They also are seeing up close the investment LE has with this case and how hard they are trying, so they have enourmous gratitude. On the flip side, some families will get frustrated and upset with LE which is a very normal reaction as well, but this family is likely seeing up close the dedication to this case LE has. I believe LE is doing all they can. But I believe they have nothing.
I think that if they had nothing, they’d be providing more information, and not being coy with their answers to important questions. I take their lack of information as a very good thing. Some of these questions, especially concerning the timeline, they absolutely have more information on, but clearly don’t want to release that information.

Gosh that's not what I got at all. He seemed super confident. And I got the sense they have A LOT.

Did any of you notice the first two LE who spoke? They seemed choked up almost. Maybe the first one was just nervous. I don't know.

I'm pretty certain they believe it's a case of foul play. There seemed to be a lot of emotion there. They seem so vested in this.

It must be very difficult to work so hard and want so badly to find the girl and not be able to.

Thanks for everyone listening and updating. I am at work and unable to watch. Based on the information shared here, my initial theory that LE has a possible suspect is strengthened. Indicating they do not feel releasing the timeline (that they are confident in) will help find Molly, makes me think they already know what they need to know and are hoping the presser will spook the POI or make the POI ease up thinking they have nothing and possibly do something under surveillance to lead them to her. JMO.

I am also curious about her possibly leaving on her own. If there was any bank activity or other signs of her still being alive, they would likely know that by now and it would be part of the evidence not being released. Moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member