Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote skirm. Director Winkler said they "had to get to know Molly" = to me this means HEY FELLA, we know this girl! And he said in a couple of different ways - "We will go wherever... we are looking for Mollie"

When you realize those three people are in charge of every law enforcement officer IN IOWA and Special Agent Thysse has connections across this country and connected directly to DC -

OH, I would be thinking twice about how to get on the good side of these men ASAP because the frustration some sensed is going to grow and guess who is going to get the brunt of it - whoever is responsible for Mollie's disappearance and any others who have stalled their efforts.

That's my take.
I noticed he kept it very personal - they need to get to know Mollie. They don't need to investigate or delve or dig into, but "get to know." It was a surprisinlgy gentle way to phrase it, imo.

He refers to her name Mollie during the press conference - not "Miss Tibbetts," the "victim," "this missing young woman," etc. Very personal and connected to Mollie, a sensitive approach, not "we're going to get you, whoever you are!"

Granted, that could be his usual style, but it does stand out (as we analyze this bit by bit). I think it's a good team, concerned about Mollie.

jmo

I miss him. Wish they would call him in to tell them how to handle a missing persons case.

Every case is different. I have seen zero to indicate these folks aren't handling their case properly.

You can say that again~ this case is very, very off.

I need to watch again and read through others comments here to see if anything clicks for me.
JMO

Isn't it always "off" when a beautiful young woman disappears into thin air?

I'm sorry to say that I got nothing from the press conference apart for the look of worry on their faces. its just terrible that's there's still nothing to tell. I think they do have an idea what happened and it definitely seems like an abduction to me. I think they know someone has/had Mollie and they are trying their best to find out who and where.
This.

We still don't know if she'd planned on going for dinner that night.. I thought she just asked what her mom was making for dinner and when she said brats she replied ok. Maybe she just wondered?
Could be! That's why I am stressing that I have no idea what their family dynamics were. It could have been totally normal for her to not come over for dinner and not say anything about it.

Catching up... Watched the replay of the PR.

Keep wondering what’s next instead of what happened. Wondering when they will pull out/ back to provide resources to other cases. I am especially interested in the next several days when the wedding party/ guests/ local family & friends will be gone to DR for ceremony. Wondering how many locals will be attending, how long, who will be house & pet sitting when they are gone. Where will the perp be then? And what might this window of time reveal.

Also keep wondering abt trash collection in Brooklyn, IA & if any curbside cans have been searched.

I wonder if the perp is invited to the wedding, and if they will be allowed to leave the country if they are being considered as a POI by LE

One more thing that keeps me on the current opinion track - Director Winkler said they were confident in the timeline they have. And they aren't releasing it to the public ---

That single thing speaks volumes to me right now. I am not worried they need tips from ANYONE. Now I think they need tips from folks who are CLOSE. There may be folks out there who feel stuck between doing the right thing and trying to put distance between them and what they know. It never works! It is always better just to go to LE and be honest. Honesty can't hurt you. Rationalizing, hiding, or avoiding may just bite your and land you somewhere you could have avoided.

I have followed prob hundreds of these cases...I don’t think they know what they have here. I can’t say how many times I thought LE was being cryptic and sending messages when they just did not know. But as always jmo.

This was the weirdest part of the press conference. Getting to know her makes it sound like they want to find out what makes her tick so they can figure out how to get her to come back.
Or if she can withstand being held captive maybe? How she might handle herself if being held somewhere. Maybe they feel she has a higher chance more so than others of hopefully working to make the perp think she is okay or pretending to appear passive and this will allow her life to possibly be less on the line? Totttttal speculation

What stands out to me is the comment "We need to get to know Mollie."

At first glance (and even second glance, third glance), Mollie seems easy to know. She's like the all-American girl next door. College student, steady boyfriend, works with kids, close to family, attractive, connected with friends. She seems to fit into a type we all are familiar with.

So...what's to "get to know" after trained investigators already have been on the case for several days?

Is Mollie more complex than we thought? Have we made too many assumptions about her? Is her life more complicated than a college student on summer break working with children in her hometown?

???

Just random thoughts as I process today's presser.

I'm also left with the thought, that I've had throughout the case, about how many people are concerned for Mollie and want to find her safe. People care.

jmo

Victim analysis, or victimology, examines and compares a perpetrator’s victims to reveal a link between the victim and the reason he or she was targeted.

• Perpetrators have also been known to choose victims that look or act similar to a significant person in his or her life, which makes the perpetrator stand out (Douglas et al).
  • Victimology has great significance because it determines the reason a victim was chosen, the kind of personality that could be behind that choice. By analyzing these aspects of a victim, such as age, hair color, skin colors, and areas of work, law enforcement can identify a common factor that links the perpetrator and the victim, or victims, which in turn can help determine the offender’s workplace, and personality (Claridge).
Victimology & Criminal Signatures - Criminal Profiling

Forensic victimology is the scientific study of victims for the purpose of addressing investigative andforensic issues. It has been especially useful to criminal profilers in analyzing crimes scenes for thepurpose of identifying the offender profile characteristics. (Turvey, 2008) The victim (S) may possess atrait, characteristic, locality, or even social accessibility that allows conclusions to be added to thecriminal profile.
What links these “victims” to each other lends itself to explain the similarity or commontrait that selected them in the perpetrator’s mind as a target (victim).
Victimology, like the larger picture of the criminal behavioral profiling it supports, is intensive andanalytical. It is hit and miss, sometimes effective and other times not. At the end of the day it is a guess,either based on inductive and /or deductive processes.
The Relevance of Victimology to Criminal Profiling

What is victimology?
victimology is the study of the victims in a number of crimes perpetrated by the same criminal. The idea of victimology is to identify similarities between each of the victims of a particular crime so that the profiler may be able to identify a definite pattern in the criminal's approach to his (or indeed her) crimes.

Victimology looks at age, lifestyle, similarities in hair colour and eye colour, whether the victims have met or worked together in the past, or if they share a common interest. All of this information can be used to help the profiler build up an accurate picture of the offender.

Criminal Profiling & Its Use in Crime Solving

I think the easiest most logical scenarios are going to end up eventually being true.

Home invasion where they took her and did who knows what to her to get rid of the only witness or the supposed accidental bump while she's running to knock her down and abduct her.

Not to cause a debate about where someone lives, but I'd bet a town of 1200 has a ton of dead zones where you could do something to someone and no one see anything regardless of time of day.

<modsnip> Missing persons cases just aren't the "norm" in Iowa, though they happen, and I'm familiar with a handful, Elizabeth and Lyric being the first big one of my adult life that happened to be right in my hometown. I remember the first press conference being held much sooner in that case, though. It boggles my mind as to why they waited so long to hold a press conference when everyone knows that the first few days of a missing persons' case are the most important.

Last edited by a moderator:
This, to me, is beginning to sound like one of those online meet-ups that may have turned out badly.

My first thought was if Mollie did leave voluntarily, wouldn't she have taken her contact lenses and/or glasses? Before I had LASIK done, I was as blind as the proverbial bat--couldn't see anything but blurred shapes.

But then, we really don't know what was found inside the house, do we?? LE has not released that info. Supposedly, one pair of glasses and her contacts were in the house, but I'm wondering if that is even true.

JMVHO.
However, I have several pairs of glasses and old ones. My husband wouldn’t have a clue about glasses missing. And definitely wouldn’t be able to say which shoes are missing. He just doesn’t notice stuff like that. He would be like, “she was wearing clothes and shoes,” if I went missing.

I wrote this..

I'm sorry to say that I got nothing from the press conference apart for the look of worry on their faces. its just terrible that's there's still nothing to tell. I think they do have an idea what happened and it definitely seems like an abduction to me. I think they know someone has/had Mollie and they are trying their best to find out who and where.
before I read this..

I found this Press Conference to be quite telling , actually. Please note, this is strictly my take away, and all based on MOO. :

1. They do have a suspect. They don't just don't know WHY the suspect acted in this manner. The motive is not clear.

2. They don't know where to find Mollie. Not yet.

3. They know when she went missing (at least within a good time frame).

4. They don't believe she purposely left home with no intention of contacting family, friends and/or co workers.

5. I am leaning towards the fact that Mollie knew, or was familiar with her abductor.

Reasons I believe the above is true:

1. This press conference has dual purposes. One is to keep Mollie's story alive. They need people to stay focused, keep asking questions, and NOT let the public forget that she is gone. Another reason: To keep pressure on the Perpetrator. They need this person to understand that they are NOT stopping. They have leads, they are following them. In order to find Mollie, they need to uncover the"why".

2. This is delicate. They have to follow their POI in both physical and digital ways. They have to befriend this person and gain their trust. They have to get to understand the dynamic between Mollie and their POI.

3. I believe them when they say that they have an accurate timeline. They know when she went missing within (A guess for certain) an hour - 2 hours. They cannot share this, because it will give the POI time to run, change stories, or obstruct / damage evidence.

4. Even though subtle, the point was made that disappearing is out of the line of normal for past behaviors.

5. The hesitation in the answer to whether people should be heightened on vigilance is telling. There was a leaning towards the fact that they want to know who was in this small town. Who frequents it.. and also how out of character this disappearance is. And, yes.. I do realize that the conclusion would be it is uncharacteristic.. however, in my interpretation of his message.. this feels more personal.

Please know .. once again.. these are my thoughts and take away. I look forward to the next press conference. I would wager a bet that this will see a conclusion within weeks if not sooner.

Bless Mollie's family and the little town that is trying to figure this out.

and I completely agree.

We still don't know if she'd planned on going for dinner that night.. I thought she just asked what her mom was making for dinner and when she said brats she replied ok. Maybe she just wondered?
Mollie's cousin was interviewed on the Crime Stories with Nancy Grace podcast released yesterday and she said Mollie's mom told her that it "wasn't out of the norm" for Mollie to say she was coming over for supper and then not show up.

I do not get the feeling they think she is still alive. If that were the case they would most likely be releasing much more information to try and locate her. This is assuming she did not leave on her own of course. I believe she did not leave the town alive but they cant figure out where the body was disposed of and are hoping the POI will lead them to it.
I actually think the opposite. I think if they thought her dead they would absolutely release more info. What would there be to loose? Certainly not her life at that point. If they feel she is still alive, then it become critical to not make any sudden public appeals or release information that could stress or aggravate the abductor.

Haven’t posted here in 7 years so I guess that says something about this case.
I actually think that LE meant for the PC to be confusing. So, they did well! I think they have their eye on someone and know he’s watching. If that were me, I’d either A) think I was in the clear and stop being careful or B) start to freak out because of that pause and the fact they didn’t answer anything so I couldn’t be sure of anything. MOO
As was quoted on a previous thread, having 30 agents on the case, FT or PT, (I believe) they’re watching someone or some people even if just to “get to know Mollie” through them. IMo that PC wasn’t reassuring to some of those people. (No idea who they are!).

Based on what I am reading I continue to believe what I stated yesterday. They are in a very tricky situation because someone abducted Mollie. They think there is a high chance that this individual will keep her alive for some time for himself. They know she is not in Brooklyn. They know the public won’t, at least for now, find her as she is being held somewhere. They do not need the public’s help because unless a member of the public sees a girl being held captive or something of that nature (which would lead to a 911 call not a tip) the public won’t be of any use to them. The public is a distraction because it leads to individual sleuthing and tips that have no relevance to the case. They do not, for now, need the public involved. They are concerned because this individual may act at any time. The less they tell the more they have the ability to assume some control in how the abductor acts. They want her alive. They have no clue where she is. They must find her and they want to do it soon and through their own investigative techniques. Mollie is most likely in a house or on a property of this individual. The situation is very delicate. They for whatever reason believe the individual will not just dispose of Mollie but will want her alive. If she is murdered the abductor may wait before disposing of the body. No public tip from sleuthing will help. The only tip that might help is someone who observes something, someone who maybe saw something around the time, or someone in the area of this individual who notes their behavior is odd or they randomly have more groceries or something along those lines. Sleuthing can’t and won’t help. Their releasing more information than need be puts Mollie in more danger. Read between the lines. This is an abduction and an ongoing one. I also personally believe they feel this person has done this before and therefore are being even more cryptic. They don’t want anyone to know what they know, what they don’t know, if they know anything at all. They need to do work to try and figure out who this individual is. Most likely he is more than 15
Miles from Brooklyn. This is all moo from observing.

Their analysis of Mollie sort of supports your feeling. They "get to know" a victim in order to link her to a suspect.

Also in the PC they state that they have what they believe is an accurate timeline but are not releasing it to the public. They also state that she was out for a run/jog as the last time seeing her-- leading many to believe this is when the incident (if there was one) occurred. I think if they thought that is when she went missing they would just leave it at that and not state they have a timeline. I believe she came to one of the 2 homes after the run or they wouldn't hint at a timeline.

Thanks so much everyone as I am out on a mission and have not watched the update yet.
I'm understanding the official silence tho it's frustrating. Details can tip the perp. IF there is a suspect it's best to keep them guessing.
Casting no shade on anyone, but it is so vital to let anyone they have their sites on and haved possibly interviewed to think they are cleared.
As far as I know they may have interviewed someone more than once.
Let's respect LE and FBI. Sure they're human and make mistakes. They did several times in Holly Bobo's case.
The FBI and their profilers, interviewers and tech whizzes are the best hope she has right now.
IMHO
Chi hoping and holding tight to that hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members