Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He further said that le told him that molly's fitbit said she ran past his house. He said le told him that

I'm not sure I understand why LE would release this information to a neighbor, but read a prepared statement and indicate they "are not releasing information about the case" during PC?

Does anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks everyone for the discussions on possible video footage.

That is a good sign that they may have her on video then. In other cases they seem to be able to make an arrest quickly if they get good video. Not sure why that is not panning out in this case.

LE is not telling us anything so we have no way to know if they are following up on any video leads.

I agree that Caseys store may have been where she went to grab a bite to eat or something. They seem interested in that video footage.
The article discusses establishing who was in town the night of Mollie’s disappearance. LE interviewed a bartender to see who was in the local tavern that night. I’m guessing the Casey’s video is not necessarily of MT, but perhaps of someone else who may have lied about their whereabouts. Might help to catch someone in a lie & procure cause for a search warrant. In the Midwest- especially in tiny towns, Casey’s would be a place everybody goes frequently.

I'm struggling with this as well.

I've never been in the camp that suggests Mollie took off of her own accord because she needed a break, was overwhelmed, feeling pressured etc. I don't believe suicide is on the table here at all.

I have to think that with the FBI involved and STILL involved heavily that there is way more evidence that we obviously do not know about which keeps the FBI involved. If they had any evidence to suggest that Mollie just walked away, they wouldn't be putting in the hours that they appear to be putting in. That's a lot of manpower dedicated to finding Mollie. There was never an alert saying "endangered" or "might harm herself". None of that.

Nope...I think they have a POI in their sights and are watching and building a case.

It's hard not knowing more details and receiving conflicting information. We're all over the place trying to make sense of something that doesn't make sense because we don't have the right information.

I haven't posted much but I've been following. I find this case extremely puzzling and frustrating not just because Mollie is missing but because we can't really do anything but sit and wait. Horribly frustrating.

My gut tells me that Mollie is no longer with us. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I hope she was overwhelmed and took a break and will walk back into everyone's lives, but I don't think so. Stranger things have happened so I'm going to wait it out like everyone else here and hope beyond hope that we get her back safely.

MOO

I completely agree.

She didn't have her purse or contacts but she did have her cell and fitbit. I think that speaks volumes. I go on walks with my cell but no ID. If someone came to my door I would have my glasses on maybe but I wouldn't have my cell. If I was going to the library I would have it all. I think she was outdoors when this occurred and she put the dogs in the basement for her to be outdoors. Could she have gone on an early morning jog?

Caseys - for those not familiar with it - is a very nice regional gas station / convenience store chain. They usually have pizza by the slice available in a warmer and it's just the sort of place you'd run grab a quick bite in a small town if you didn't want to cook for yourself. Noplace to sit - just grab 'n go.

o/t: I grew up in an area that got Casey's TV commercials (like these), but didn't actually have a Casey's. They made it look like such a tasty pizza place. I kept asking my husband to take me when we were back in his hometown that had one, and he thought I was joking but he took me anyway. Turns out- just a gas station that happens to have some pizza. I was so disappointed and he was so confused.

I'm not sure I understand why LE would release this information to a neighbor, but read a prepared statement and indicate they "are not releasing information about the case" during PC?

I too wondered by a police man would tell a teacher (isn't he a school superintendent?) too much information about an investigation. It's a small town. Is it possible that the neighbor knew the police officer from another situation or environment?

There are lots of investigators on this case and it’s possible that the one who interviewed this neighbor accidentally over shared.

I found this info on Brooklyn truckstops. Each one is "Open 24 hours."

In Brooklyn, IA
Lone Star Truck Stop
4173 IA-21
Brooklyn, IA View Map
319-685-4411 (primary)
In Brooklyn, IA

Pilot Travel Center #495
basic_plus_1432882248_Pilot-Travel-Center-Logo.gif

4126 Highway 21
Brooklyn, IA View Map
319-685-4221 (primary)
In Brooklyn, IA

TA Truck Stop #254
basic_plus_1426832768_TA-Truck-Stops-Logo.gif

4124 V18 Rd
Brooklyn, IA View Map
641-522-4569 (primary)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Truck Stops All Truck Stops in Brooklyn, IA | 24 Hour Find Truck Service ®

I wonder if LE is passing on different information to different people expecting it to be repeated. They can deny (or refuse to confirm) all of it so whoever their POI is has no more idea what's going on than we do. That way they can get the information out there for tips, but any suspect won't know if they actually have/believe what's been reported. :rolleyes: Not likely, but this case seems more confusing than most for some reason.

She didn't have her purse or contacts but she did have her cell and fitbit. I think that speaks volumes. I go on walks with my cell but no ID. If someone came to my door I would have my glasses on maybe but I wouldn't have my cell. If I was going to the library I would have it all. I think she was outdoors when this occurred and she put the dogs in the basement for her to be outdoors. Could she have gone on an early morning jog?

This is one reason why MT's eyesight is important. If she's farsighted, does that mean she could decide that after her run her eyes feel dry and she can remove the lenses and sit at the computer without either lenses or glasses but still be able to see the screen? Does it mean that she can get up in the night without needing to put on her glasses, unlike many of us who are nearsighted and put on our glasses even to go to the bathroom in the night?

And does it mean MT can comfortably answer the door without lenses/glasses on?

My recollection is that this interview might have initially been done by local police vs. fbi. While I would bet the fbi came back for another interview, my suspicion is that in the early days of search process that conversation was more casual in the interview process as these folks no doubt all know each other. Just a guess on my part as we have no actual confirmation for LE that confirms what the person interviewed is saying.

I too wondered by a police man would tell a teacher (isn't he a school superintendent?) too much information about an investigation. It's a small town. Is it possible that the neighbor knew the police officer from another situation or environment?

Another thought is intentionally giving information (misinformation?) as a tactic. MOO.

I don't think it looks good for Mollie's dreams.

I am considering a connection to the Evansdale abduction and murder. That's something investigators will have to rule out, like they ruled out any connection to the Klunder and Delphi murders.

One glaring similarity that Considering mentioned is that in both the Evansdale and Blooklyn abductions, investigators have no idea where it happened, what happened, when it happened, why it happened, and where to search for a body. I would even go so far as to suggest that in both cases there are clues that intentionally lead investigators in the wrong direction.

I couldn't find a time listed for vandalized hardware store. The bar tender mentioned in the article that she reported it when she got off from work. Will see if the police log lists the vandalized hardware store and post back if I find anything.

I thought the article said she left work around midnight. MOO- article quoted previously.

Midnight -- See post #843 for details

Isn't it 3 people that said they were told this information by LE? I wonder if it's an intentional leak.
That's possible but unlikely. It was the early stages of an investigation the likes of which this town/police force has never seen. Mistakes are going to be made, especially early on.

Agree. Statistically speaking sadly it is highly unlikely she's alive unless she truly did voluntarily disappear. I think LE knows that but is not publicly stating that in hopes someone leads them to her. Someone who is likely under surveillance and they are hoping breaks or loosens up thinking they aren't on to him/her. JMO
Statistically, I sadly agree. But we cannot completely rule out the possibility that Mollie is alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member