Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding hiring of illegal immigrants, I'm worried about it because I think it's possible criminal negligence or more has occurred which contributed this particular person being in Mollie's community, but I agree that it is a separate issue and there are plenty of pedigreed Americans that have done and probably are doing just as bad.
Yes, honestly I really am not sure that will come into play. We don't even have all the details yet. It's a little to early to jump the gun, is all I'm saying. The only one responsible for this crime, in my opinion, is the killer.

Sure seems like FBI Profilers (or Ex FBI profilers) get it wrong every time. The Ex FBI Profiler said Mollie very likely left with someone she knew, someone she trusted. Other experts on TV predicted a “kidnapper” would be older than this guy.

"The proliferation of so-called experts or “talking heads” further contributes to the myths of serial murder. The different media outlets routinely utilize retired law enforcement investigators, psychologists, academicians, and others to provide running commentary on ongoing, high profile criminal cases. These media "experts" are interviewed to discuss active serial murder investigations without having first-hand knowledge or details of the crimes. They also do not have information on the course of the particular investigation they are commenting about. Their comments may also interfere with a law enforcement strategy regarding media statements by providing contradictory information."

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/serialmurder-pathwaysforinvestigations.pdf

I wonder why he confessed and led them to her body. They only had the video of him following her in the car. He could have denied that he spoke to her or anything else and they had nothing to show otherwise. Maybe they tricked him and said we have you on tape talking to her or something.
Definitely possible. He could have at the very least, bought himself some time as a free man. Fortunately he is as stupid as he is evil.

We can't assume MT, running at the side of a road, would have been listening to music so loudly she would not have heard a car either in front of her or behind her. People in general know to be aware of cars when walking, biking, jogging, so often have music at low volume. I know I do. Very low.
And he told LE that she told him something like leave me alone I’m calling the cops. So if he’s telling the truth about that then she was aware of his presence

The phone was very prominent in his story, and, I suspect moreso in real life. He knew he had to disable / control that phone immediately, it was Step 1 in his crime.

I don’t believe for a second that he wanted to speak to her initially. It’s Predator behavior.

Opinion.

If you question the Blackout story, you have to question the rest of his self-serving story.

I can only imagine the relief felt by the community that this monster has been caught.

The town will be forever affected by this. But after the press conference, they won't have to wonder if it was the guy at the hardware store or this person or that who took Mollie.
Yeah although maybe the community did have something to worry about. He got away with it once...maybe would want to do it again

The coward probably came up from behind with a rock/blunt object and stuck her. Mollie wouldnt have known he was there or even hear him coming as she would have had her earphones in.
In a way, I hope this is what happened. I hope she never knew she was being stalked, and didn’t have time to feel fear.

He had pictures of guns on his Facebook page. Could he have shot her? A knife?

He’s not big. He’s5’3” when you subtract the height of his hair. She would have fought

How did he get her in the trunk and what caused her head to bleed? Was she dead in the trunk?
Could have used anything, tire iron, pistal whip etc...but I doubt she was shot, someone would have likely heard that. He with something to incapacitate her. Perhaps killing her on the spot or knocking her out.

In a way, I hope this is what happened. I hope she never knew she was being stalked, and didn’t have time to feel fear.
Unfortunately she still would have felt fear. This wasn’t a quick end, atleast not quick enough that she would have been none the wiser. I really, really wish that were true and she was unaware, but that doesn’t seem to be the case, as much as we all want it to be.

I believe he abducted her at Boundary and Middle Streets ( arrest warrant says he was in that area at the same time she was) and put her in the trunk there (my theory only) and drove her out to the cornfield on the 1900 block of 385th Avenue (address of crime from arrest warrant) where he parked in the cornfield driveway to attack and murder her (my theory). No one saw or heard anything because the area is fields for miles and miles. He then carried her into the corn and covered her body. He admits to pulling into the cornfield driveway, but doesn't really say why he did because of his 'blocking it out'. He's only saying he blocked it out because he doesn't want to hear himself admit to LE how much of a monster he is.
The one problem I see there is that it's the wrong cornfields. She was in one south of town, 385th Avenue is north.

I'm not really surprised by much that has been said, other than him saying he was running behind/next to her and the exact spot she was taken from (I had the wrong side of town, but the right street.) I keep thinking what a waste it was for him to pick Mollie of all people, but then I realize that there's nobody who would have been a good person to choose for that fate. I'm glad we've come this far, and will hopefully have a conviction soon, not just for the family to have closure, but for DJ to be able to grieve without knowing how many people out there believed he had killed the person he loved. I know they'll never fully get over it, but I hope they all manage to get through it and become able to think only of the good years they had rather than the last moments of her life.

One other thing (that's only half joking), he's been said to have been there for 4-7 years and working at his current job for 4 years. Some people here have asked about other victims when he "blacks out" from anger. At the risk of angering Harmony or Tricia :eek:, I wonder if he may have worked anywhere near Evansdale or Waterloo about 6 years ago. He would have been 18 back then, and might not have been able to handle an adult, but could have had a mentor who liked girls. Okay, I'll shut up now.

Or...maybe he was drunk and passed out; and when he came back around realized what he had done. I am not making excuses for his when I'm angry, I black out story, because I think it is BS...but passed out because your drunk...possible. Jmo

Not buying any of it. I wonder if he knew Dalton was out of town? Did he work that day? If so what were his hours? Isn't first degree premeditated? He had a plan. Saw her jogging, liked what he saw. I think he knew he was going to have to kill her. There is a reason murders won't talk about the actual murders ( that goes beyond the obvious trying not to get caught) and I first recognized it in that famous interview with Ted Bundy, but its really too horrible for me to type.

Wait a sec- He said he talked to Mollie right? And she threatened to call police but he needs a translator- please make me understand this

That's called dotting the i's and crossing the t's, to minimize his chance of a "no hablas" defense or appeal of a conviction. There can be NO confusion as to whether or not he understood his rights, or due process. I'm certain that he will have the very best of attorneys. The state will want to make sure that a successful prosecution sticks for the rest of this guy`s life.

If she saw him coming, she would’ve snapped a picture.

If he admits to laying in wait, jumping / tackling her, then he admits to the premeditation and motivation.

In my opinion, she never saw him coming.

I bet you're right. Part of his story may be true. He may have parked the car in the driveway of the corn field and then hid in the corn waiting for her to jog past to grab her. Then he has a car nearby to leave in.

We can't assume MT, running at the side of a road, would have been listening to music so loudly she would not have heard a car either in front of her or behind her. People in general know to be aware of cars when walking, biking, jogging, so often have music at low volume. I know I do. Very low.
He could have driven far in front of her, parked and sunk down into his chair and waited a couple minutes for her to run past, hoping he was not noticed, then snuck up behind her. Or alternatively she could be like me who blasts their music wayyy too loud regardless of whether I'm running or listening at home.

How could LE have insisted the public was NOT at risk when they had an alleged sexual predator murderer on the loose for a month?

I’m a speed-walker semi-jogger and I don’t feel comfortable running alone anymore. I need to arm myself with pepper spray.

I agree with Tricia on the WS podcast that this case and the POI need to be studied so we can figure our not only how to solve these crimes but how to prevent more deaths and keep these monsters off the streets.

I read that the break in this case was security footage from a homeowner that captured Mollie jogging and the POI’s car.

That's called dotting the i's and crossing the t's, to minimize his chance of a "no hablas" defense or appeal of a conviction. There can be NO confusion as to whether or not he understood his rights, or due process. I'm certain that he will have the very best of attorneys. The state will want to make sure that a successful prosecution sticks for the rest of this guy`s life.
Thank you- Makes total sense- translator to guarantee his 100 percent understanding! Got it now!!

But his blackout story was an attempt to minimize. If he was drunk, he’d have said that, because in his mind, it minimizes things even further. The fact that he didn’t say he was drunk or high (as far as we know) means that he probably wasn’t, in my mind anyways.
Yes, honestly I don't even know why we are entertaining that story at all. I don't think we can trust a word this guy says. Just my opinion of course, but I think he is lying through his teeth, which is very common for people with anti- social personality disorder, and I know it's a little to early to assume that, but to me everything points to this disorder. It would appear he has no conscience. It will be interesting to find out if he already has a record, and if he has assaulted people before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lillianlily