IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Give him a team of translators! We can't compromise our system of justice no matter how low he is, and it's reasonable that no matter how well he speaks or texts or Facebooks in English, legal proceedings are a whole different language arena. Mollie and her family deserve a by-the-book prosecution of this person so the state's case is well-tested and there are no appeals on claims of misunderstanding of language or denial of proper translation. That also applies to his own defense. Mollie loses if he claims later that he didn't understand his attorney's counsel to him and his defense strategies.
Yes, and as I have said before, there is a very good chance he doesn't understand the court proceedings even in his own language. A seventh grade education would not ensure that he understands the complexity of language used in a courtroom. He would need a translator to explain the translated words used by the interpreter as she is giving an exact translation. He needs additional explanation of those words, in my opinion. In all the experience I have had with ESL students, even the brightest would need someone to explain things to them in their own language . Maybe this is part of what the second interpretator is doing. Explaining. In my opinion, it would be absolutely necessary .

Mollie Tibbetts suspect's past begins to emerge as scrutiny expands
Good summary of everything so far. And good pictures of where Mollie was found.
It looks like it wasn't that far into the field.

Good article! Thanks for posting it.

From the article...

When Rivera was interviewed, Mortvedt said, he was cooperative and willing to speak with agents. Authorities used interpreters from another agency to speak with Rivera during the interview because he does not speak much English.

I, for one, am very interested in who is paying for his lawyer. I haven't seen that answered yet. I'm not sure why the question bothers some people.

He declined the court appointed one. So would he have retained is own after being questioned by LE?

Would it be possible to get some kind of permanent post at the top of the thread with a legal explaination on why CR has an interpreter? This question keeps coming up and it's hard to keep up with the threads. IMO TIA

I do not know the legality with this, but I know multiple people who even though they have been in this country for 20-30 years still use an interpreter for something as important as say a court case or whatever. A close friend of my moms, her husband has been here 40+ years, but he still has someone speak for him at building meetings in the condo association he is the super for. I have also seen sports athletes that have played for years use an interpreter. So I guess the person just feels in an important situation where their words are going to be displayed on Tv, social media, etc they don't feel comfortable enough to speak on their own?

I don't think there is some legality saying you must speak english and you can't use an interpreter.

Don’t know the lawyer...do we know for sure he does not often wear such ties? Not that it matters...jmo
Oh, he seems like the type with a collection of crazy ties. I have a friend like that. No matter the occasion, he has a wacky tie to draw attention to himself. At least my friend knows how to knot the tie, which this lawyer seems to have trouble with.

I know bashing clothes is petty and a distraction. I should be above this...but it was just so outlandish (which I know was the intention).

jmo

I think there are two aspects of the language issue - legal language is very different from everyday vernacular and conversational English. And, there is an emerging image of him as someone who's vulnerable and a victim himself and it's grinding people's nerves. So we can have both issues at the same time. In my view, he is neither a victim because English is his second language, nor is he likely to fully understand the legal language that's determining the course of his fate without translation.

Exactly. Well stated. IMO both things were happening in court yesterday.

The tie kind of gave away how far this lawyer is going to go with tactics.

This is just the beginning and this case will be very interesting as it proceeds. I have a feeling we are in for one heck of a ride.

Do you have a link that he refused a court-appointed attorney?

I've read many things about that attorney on the thread - none of which I've been able to verify online. I'd appreciate the link to what people are reading! tia

No, I don't have a link for you, but during yesterday's Arraignment the judge asked if CR wanted a public defender, and CR said no. He was also asked if he wanted to remain with his private attorney. The video is up-post for your perusal.

The private attorney for CR could be doing this pro bono for the publicity or his 15 minutes of fame. Also, there might be a lot more money in the Latino community than anyone realizes, and his baby's mama's family could be putting up the money, as could his family - you have no idea who he could be related to, or who CR's Padrone might be. In addition, there are plenty of immigrant rights groups out there who could have put up money for an attorney. Though, I hope that out-side, informed money did NOT hire THIS attorney, unless he is the Columbo of the Iowa Bar (I, personally, don't think that this is the case). I would not want CR to be able to use an inadequate defence as a grounds for appeal.

My "stepdaughter" was facing murder charges and the death penalty for killing her daughter, in Mississippi (took her 3 days of abuse). Aside from the team of lawyers provided by the State Capital Murder Defence Office in Jackson, a Dream Team of Law School faculty attornies for her defence were paid for by a pro-life, anti-death penalty foundation/group out of ENGLAND! She is now free, after serving 12 years and change - go figure!

"There is nothing that we have come across as of yet that shows they had any type of relationship," he said. "And I don’t mean intimate dating — I mean friendship, acquaintance, what have you."

"He had mentioned, I believe, that he had seen her before. In what context — I don’t know if it was just in passing or had seen her in town somewhere, but it sounded like he at least had recognized her," he added.

Mollie Tibbetts suspect's past begins to emerge as scrutiny expands

Good article! Thanks for posting it.

From the article...

When Rivera was interviewed, Mortvedt said, he was cooperative and willing to speak with agents. Authorities used interpreters from another agency to speak with Rivera during the interview because he does not speak much English.
I also noticed that LE said there wasn't any indication that Mollie knew CR. That was interesting to me. ETA-And I mean interesting because if she had any knowledge at all of IM (the ex/current gf) it wouldn't be impossible that she at least maybe mentioned him to Mollie or Mollie have seen them in town together. I'm sorry I don't know how to post snippets of the article or I would.

Last edited:
JMO
I honestly think it goes deeper and is part of the laywers strategy. Its the beginning of getting sympathy for the poor defendant who is just trying to make a living in a strange land and cant even speak the native language.

The strategy is a common ploy and it will not work but the laywers are going to milk it every step of the way.
This - 100% along with the way he described him “young man”, “hard worker”...giving him a pat on the chest. They’re trying to paint a different picture of him.

Do you see a difference between chatting with friends in English and understanding court proceedings in English? Or do you think they require the same level of fluency?

Serious question.
There is a huge difference. You can't even compare the two!! I have a more thorough answer here somewhere. I have had 16 years experience working with ESL students, kids and adults. Just because they understand conversational English does not mean they understand even a newspaper article!!

I, for one, am very interested in who is paying for his lawyer. I haven't seen that answered yet. I'm not sure why the question bothers some people.

He declined the court appointed one. So would he have retained is own after being questioned by LE?
The question doesn't bother me....it's the assumption people seem to be making that there is some conspiracy behind his choice/appointment/payment of the lawyer.

I love links.

jmo

I am not an English teacher but I teach English to non Emglish speakers where I live. They have had English in school so they ask me questions.

Why”a, the, or nothing “in front of a word ? Such as , “I am going to a school, the school, or school.”

How about the past imprefect, participles, dangling participles. Homonyms. Words used where you live such as the difference between soda, pop, or coke.

On and on. Try explaining some of these things that we do not even think about.

If he was well to do and had a great education, he would not have left school at 8th grade.
You are so right.

I also noticed that LE said there wasn't any indication that Mollie knew CR. That was interesting to me. I'm sorry I don't know how to post snippets of the article or I would.

From the article....

"There is nothing that we have come across as of yet that shows they had any type of relationship," he said. "And I don’t mean intimate dating — I mean friendship, acquaintance, what have you."

"He had mentioned, I believe, that he had seen her before. In what context — I don’t know if it was just in passing or had seen her in town somewhere, but it sounded like he at least had recognized her," he added.

While we are all waiting for the autopsy and other facts to be known, I just wanted to point out that in my opinion, most of us were pretty far off in our theories in this case. Part of what threw it off for me was the idea that everyone knows everyone in this town. This does not apply to ghosts and we all need to consider that in future theories.
This reminds me. In every case, I try to remember and learn things from them, and maybe apply them in other cases to help save/find the next one. I would like to hear from different members if there’s anything in particular you have learned here from Mollie’s case. Tia.

Just to clarify :

1900 block of 385th Ave

Suspect Cristhian Bahena Rivera allegedly abducted Mollie Tibbetts from this location on July 18, sometime between 7:45 p.m and 8:28 p.m., police said.

460th Ave. near Highway 21

A rural road at this intersection was closed on Tuesday morning. A body law enforcement believes is Mollie Tibbetts was found in this area.

These locations are roughly 10 miles apart from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay