IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, that tie was extremely disrectful to Mollie
Unfortunately the more we bash his attorney the more he has an appeal for "incompetent representation and assistance of counsel" if he is convicted. Personally I am a bit concerned about that argument downstream based on the initial court appearance and his filings. Not everyone can afford OJ's dream team though...

I am not an English teacher but I teach English to non Emglish speakers where I live. They have had English in school so they ask me questions.

Why”a, the, or nothing “in front of a word ? Such as , “I am going to a school, the school, or school.”

How about the past imprefect, participles, dangling participles. Homonyms. Words used where you live such as the difference between soda, pop, or coke.

On and on. Try explaining some of these things that we do not even think about.

If he was well to do and had a great education, he would not have left school at 8th grade.

He didn't even have to be fluent in Eng when he was talking to Mollie because I doubt what transpired was an actual "conversation". As a former travel writer abroad, I was frequently hit on by men who had no handle on English (or I their language). Crudeness and vulgarity are often universal. If she was threatening to call the police then I doubt he was jogging beside her, politely asking her opinion on THE HANDMAID'S TALE finale.

That seems a bit nitpicky to me, but I guess you're right. He could have said yes or no directly to the judge rather than speaking to the person who just spoke to him.

jmo

JMO
I honestly think it goes deeper and is part of the laywers strategy. Its the beginning of getting sympathy for the poor defendant who is just trying to make a living in a strange land and cant even speak the native language.

The strategy is a common ploy and it will not work but the laywers are going to milk it every step of the way.

Unfortunately the more we bash his attorney the more he has an appeal for "incompetent representation and assistance of counsel" if he is convicted. Personally I am a bit concerned about that argument downstream based on the initial court appearance and his filings. Not everyone can afford OJ's dream team though...
Court records are in writing. I don't think the lawyer's poor taste in clothing will be reflected. That's jmo.

I'm not entirely convinced this particular lawyer will be the one to represent him as the case goes on. I can't predict that, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a change.

jmo

JMO
I honestly think it goes deeper and is part of the laywers strategy. Its the beginning of getting sympathy for the poor defendant who is just trying to make a living in a strange land and cant even speak the native language.

The strategy is a common ploy and it will not work but the laywers are going to milk it every step of the way.
Of course! I would want my defense lawyer to use anything that would help me.

In this case, I do think he needs a translation assistance and I think it's worth every penny to provide it.

I also think I've hit this dead horse enough and I'll leave it for others to rehash.

jmo

The fact that this guy led LE to the exact spot where Mollie was is enough to show he at the very least put her body there...seeing how searchers passed by without finding her, you would really have to know. Probably lucky he remembered exactly where, the way those fields look.

I don’t do maps, really...here is a question, if anyone knows. From where Mollie was abducted, does the recovery site make sense? Or do we even know exactly where she was taken from?

What I mean is, if LE had found her before they saw the video...would the spots the video cover be a logical spot to check for clues? If they put the incoming video in order of where they thought she had been running i.e...would THIS video be at the top of the most likely list if they had known where she ended up?

Wondering how long it may have taken to get to it (this video) if events happened the other way around. If suspect would have surfaced sooner or maybe still taken as long or even longer.

Does anyone follow lol...

Court records are in writing. I don't think the lawyer's poor taste in clothing will be reflected. That's jmo.

I'm not entirely convinced this particular lawyer will be the one to represent him as the case goes on. I can't predict that, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a change.

jmo

I have been thinking the same thing, I think this might be to big for this lawyer to handle so I kind of expect to see a change somewhere down the line.

I think there are two aspects of the language issue - legal language is very different from everyday vernacular and conversational English. And, there is an emerging image of him as someone who's vulnerable and a victim himself and it's grinding people's nerves. So we can have both issues at the same time. In my view, he is neither a victim because English is his second language, nor is he likely to fully understand the legal language that's determining the course of his fate without translation.

Well, he declined a court appointed attorney because he already had an attorney.

(And no--we don't know how that attorney is getting paid. I don't really think we have any right to know that, do we?)
People on the thread have brought up how the lawyer was obtained and paid for as if there is some conspiracy, which is why I keep asking for links. I usually get no reply or details. My only interest is that we keep to the truth and not make stuff up or make assumptions.

jmo

I agree with the translators in court even though I can bet he speaks English it is the understanding that he will not.
Even I would have a hard time understanding all that legalize never mind someone that is from Mexico. The translators need to be there to ensure that he can not say he does not understand because they will make him understand in his own language.

The fact that this guy led LE to the exact spot where Mollie was is enough to show he at the very least put her body there...seeing how searchers passed by without finding her, you would really have to know. Probably lucky he remembered exactly where, the way those fields look.

I don’t do maps, really...here is a question, if anyone knows. From where Mollie was abducted, does the recovery site make sense? Or do we even know exactly where she was taken from?

What I mean is, if LE had found her before they saw the video...would the spots the video cover be a logical spot to check for clues? If they put the incoming video in order of where they thought she had been running i.e...would THIS video be at the top of the most likely list if they had known where she ended up?

Wondering how long it may have taken to get to it (this video) if events happened the other way around. If suspect would have surfaced sooner or maybe still taken as long or even longer.

Does anyone follow lol...

I know we don't have an exact date on when the body was placed, but I think the basic assumption is July 18th correct? (I wouldn't be surprised if we found out he drove around with her in the trunk slightly longer), but lets just say she had been in that cornfield from July 18th. If they did search there before I am surprised they didn't find it because at that point the body would be there for a month and have all kinds of odors making it an obvious find.

I believe they said she was taken on 300th something street, but the body was put on 400th something street.

OMG legalese is not the same as basic English. Sometimes I have trouble with court-speak and I studied English in college. It would be ridiculous not to have translation if English is not one’s first language.

I'm in the same boat. I can see how that can be construed in 2 different directions. I'm guessing he can't be as specific as we need him to be in order to settle if they were in that precise location before. We know they were in cornfields in that area, but nothing more than that.
At this point, don't you think it is possible that even they can't be certain? They thought they searched all the cornfields, through every row, but maybe one was missed? At this point, who can really actually say and know for certain they're right?

Don’t know the lawyer...do we know for sure he does not often wear such ties? Not that it matters...jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay