IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Understanding a text message and understanding the consequences of being charged with murder and the court proceedings are two totally different things. Most everyone in the country texts while most everyone in the country, even if their first language is English, do not understand the justice system and how it works unless they have visited court before.

Spanish may be his second language. The area where he’s from MAY HAVE A LANGUAGE OF THEIR Own. but it appears he has a good use of our language. He certainly understands enough to communicate with women, his girlfriend and to use fake documents and car registrations.

I’m worried about what LE is going to find in a deep background on him. They had a very few hours prior to the press conference. And my guess is someone will travel to Mexico to learn more. His home is very rural. 46% of houses have dirt floors and little sanitary facilities. No real school for children.

Can someone please explain the issue that keeps coming up about the tie and why people are offended about it? It’s a bit tacky for court (IMO) but I’m not sure what it has to do with the case? Thanks!

I actually do not get it either. I have seen many American flag ties. I am thinking it is because the lawyer wanted to show that this was America and he would get defended as a non citizen? IDK.

Can someone please explain the issue that keeps coming up about the tie and why people are offended about it? It’s a bit tacky for court (IMO) but I’m not sure what it has to do with the case? Thanks!
IMO, it's just tacky and ugly apparal. I don't read anything more into it except it indicates a lawyer who puts on a show.

I'm not offended by it.

Others might be.

jmo

And keep in mind he was probably never schooled in English, so learned only by hearing others speak. He would not understand the subtleties of the language and certainly not grammar.

...and certainly not in court. That is why even native English speakers hire attornies. Right on, Ms. Betsy!

I wouldn't have liked that tie if one of prosecution wore it either nor would I have liked for any of them to wear a Mexican flag tie. I thought it was disrespectful to the parties involved. He wore it to send a message, not exactly sure what the message is yet. All my opinion

Can someone please post where exactly he is from so I can look it up? I know it starts with a G?

Not if you read the article linked above from the Daily Mail - he was conversing with a group of local kids. I do not assume they were all speaking Spanish. It is not unusual Spanish speakers who are fluent in English to not speak in English if it suits their purpose.

I agree. Have had it a hundred times or more since moving to Las Vegas. I think it’s rude but that’s just me.

Mollie Tibbetts suspect's past begins to emerge as scrutiny expands
Good summary of everything so far. And good pictures of where Mollie was found.
It looks like it wasn't that far into the field.
Thank you for posting this link - it really is quite comprehensive and includes links to many important things including the arrest warrant which describes CR taking them to the location from memory. I wonder if there is video of him driving after this and what made them put the timeframe in the warrant so exact? 8:28 (20:28 in warrant) is very specific.

Good summary of everything so far. And good pictures of where Mollie was found.
It looks like it wasn't that far into the field.
The question doesn't bother me....it's the assumption people seem to be making that there is some conspiracy behind his choice/appointment/payment of the lawyer.

I love links.

jmo

I don't think there is a conspiracy going on, I just want to see more evidence before I make up my mind about this case. It's just too neat and tidy for me.
Why didn't the guy run, he had a month to come up with an excuse to leave the area.
Maybe he thought he would get away with it?
Who knows, not enough evidence or details yet.

I grew up in a town this size and regularly go back to the area, its about 100 miles away.

Is this directed at me? I have no problem with anything except people posting hints at conspiracies without a link to back up their posts.

jmo

Inthedetails I have no idea since I believe I misused the quote feature on my first post it appears.

The fact that this guy led LE to the exact spot where Mollie was is enough to show he at the very least put her body there...seeing how searchers passed by without finding her, you would really have to know. Probably lucky he remembered exactly where, the way those fields look.

I don’t do maps, really...here is a question, if anyone knows. From where Mollie was abducted, does the recovery site make sense? Or do we even know exactly where she was taken from?

What I mean is, if LE had found her before they saw the video...would the spots the video cover be a logical spot to check for clues? If they put the incoming video in order of where they thought she had been running i.e...would THIS video be at the top of the most likely list if they had known where she ended up?

Wondering how long it may have taken to get to it (this video) if events happened the other way around. If suspect would have surfaced sooner or maybe still taken as long or even longer.

Does anyone follow lol...
Yes, I hear you and have the same question about the maps and recovery site. I hope we get an answer!

Spanish may be his second language. The area where he’s from MAY HAVE A LANGUAGE OF THEIR Own. but it appears he has a good use of our language. He certainly understands enough to communicate with women, his girlfriend and to use fake documents and car registrations.

I’m worried about what LE is going to find in a deep background on him. They had a very few hours prior to the press conference. And my guess is someone will travel to Mexico to learn more. His home is very rural. 46% of houses have dirt floors and little sanitary facilities. No real school for children.
That was a concern I expressed yesterday. The Spanish spoken where I live can be different from that spoken deep in Mexico. Same word could have two different meanings depending on where you are from.

Mortvedt said officials do not anticipate filing additional charges against Rivera, but that decision will depend on where the evidence leads, and he cautioned there was still a large period of time unaccounted for.

"We want to account for everything that he did in that time leading up to the abduction (and) until he was in our custody yesterday," he said.

I wouldn't have liked that tie if one of prosecution wore it either nor would I have liked for any of them to wear a Mexican flag tie. I thought it was disrespectful to the parties involved. He wore it to send a message, not exactly sure what the message is yet. All my opinion

Totally Agree.

There is a name for them "Novelty Ties" and in a professional work environment they are typically not worn and some companies even have rules against them.

You cant get more professional setting than a courtroom.

So yes it stood out and it was for a message.

Oh, he seems like the type with a collection of crazy ties. I have a friend like that. No matter the occasion, he has a wacky tie to draw attention to himself. At least my friend knows how to knot the tie, which this lawyer seems to have trouble with.
I know bashing clothes is petty and a distraction. I should be above this...but it was just so outlandish (which I know was the intention).

jmo

FYI. THE ATTORNEY ALSO SUED TAMA COUNTY FOR ONE BILLION DOLLARS. ILL POST A LINK IN A FEW. TRUE STORY.

Oh, he seems like the type with a collection of crazy ties. I have a friend like that. No matter the occasion, he has a wacky tie to draw attention to himself. At least my friend knows how to knot the tie, which this lawyer seems to have trouble with.

I know bashing clothes is petty and a distraction. I should be above this...but it was just so outlandish (which I know was the intention).

jmo
It is all part of the strategy...

I appreciate your explanation but how does that insure communications remain private and confidential?

I’m not understanding you.

TIA

The duty of the court translator is to translate between the defendant and the judge. She is employed by the state.

The other translator is on hand to facilitate communication between the defendant and his lawyer in the event that the defendant doesn't understand the what the consequences of his answers will be. For instance, when he conferred with the lawyer about whether or not to waive the pre-trial hearing. It wouldn't be proper for the court translator to be privy to those conversations.

Yes, and as I have said before, there is a very good chance he doesn't understand the court proceedings even in his own language. A seventh grade education would not ensure that he understands the complexity of language used in a courtroom. He would need a translator to explain the translated words used by the interpreter as she is giving an exact translation. He needs additional explanation of those words, in my opinion. In all the experience I have had with ESL students, even the brightest would need someone to explain things to them in their own language . Maybe this is part of what the second interpretator is doing. Explaining. In my opinion, it would be absolutely necessary .

seems to me the easiest way to understand the two interpretator part is that one belongs to the court and one belongs to the attorney I know belongs to isn't proper way to put it but it makes it simpler to understand. the court one is there for the court. the second one is there for the attorney and at the attorney and or client expense, that one isn't going to speak in open court.

I believe they did use dogs as well as infrared cameras. It does seem hard to believe they couldn't find her, yet I hear this often as being the case. It must be harder than we think.

There is a lot of corn out there, a lot of fields. I don't think that this individual corn field, 12 miles outside of Brooklyn, was searched. Nor did I get this impression from the last LE PC. Please (someone) show a link that definitely shows otherwise!

No offense meant to you Ms Betsy, just a shout out for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay