Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are questioning some of the information given by LE from the last presser. I.E. when did they get hold of the cctv footage? They say it was obtained from a neighbour; why wasn't it obtained sooner?, etc.
They did say somewhere that they had it for awhile. It takes time to look at that footage and determine “is that Mollie”, what kind of car was that, what color. I think LE did a damn great job to get to this point! Kudos to them!

His defence is more then likely going to be 'diminished capacity.'
Diminished capacity is a partial defense, which requires the defendant to have committed the crime while in a very specific state of mind. For example, diminished capacity might be used as a defense if the defendant had suffered a head injury, which rendered him incapable of premeditating the murder he committed.

I would be surprised if they did. I think a more likely defense (if it even goes to trial) would be that it was not him at all - cast doubt on evidence and forensics.

But the report said multiple sharp injuries................

He fell down several times? (I have actually heard this excuse used). Or he stabbed her several more times, in anger, post-mortem at the disposal site because he had screwed-up and killed her at the abduction site, and because of this he could not have what he wanted at the secondary crime scene/disposal site, with her active participation.

There may be a good reason that he has not yet (nor will he) be charged with rape, and that the Judge said that he may have to register as a sex offender, and that MT's clothes were found with and not on the body. This week a security guard was arrested at a local hospital in Memphis, because he was caught having sex with a recently deceased female patient.

There are too many freaks out about in the world!

OT but if a fit bit can indicate time of death...and could be synced to someone else’s device, I’d wear one so if I die alone in my apartment I would be found relatively soon...as it is my sisters need an email from me at least once every 24 hours.

My updated map of Mollie’s jogging path with an alternate being doubling back on 385. This is 6.69 miles, approximately a 45-minute run at a 7-minute mile. Keeping in mind she was training for a half marathon and had run cross country in school.

I would think Mollie or any jogger would avoid Hwy 6. It's a two-lane highway with gravel shoulders and a posted speed limit of 55 mph.
route 6.png

I would be surprised if they did. I think a more likely defense (if it even goes to trial) would be that it was not him at all - cast doubt on evidence and forensics.
Good luck to the defense if they try to claim it wasn’t him. He led them directly to her body and said “I did it.” Forensic evidence, both physical and digital, will dig his grave.

I think people are questioning some of the information given by LE from the last presser. I.E. when did they get hold of the cctv footage? They say it was obtained from a neighbour; why wasn't it obtained sooner?, etc.

To protect the neighbour, I don’t think LE is about to tell us. But I can think of a couple possible scenarios -
- the neighbour didn’t see Mollie on the video so didn’t think vehicles passing by were important. And it’s likely the Chevy Malibu was spotted on more than one CCTV footage, which was what eventually indicated to LE this particular was circling, as opposed to just driving through. So it might not just be only this one CCTV that gave LE their lead, rather it was when it combined with others (probably businesses) it collectively provided the clues.
- Early on there was substantial confusion over what time and where Mollie went missing from. For example the red shirt, being her her work shirt, would suggest something happened to or on her way from work, unconnectioned to anything captured via the neighbours CCTV.
- In cases like this LE often canvasses homes. Maybe the neighbour worked out of town or was on vacation and the purpose of the CCTV was to guard against theft? LE made several trips to the residence and finally connected? Only in hindsight is it now known it was the missing link, thankfully not copied over or erased. That’s a very good thing.
JMO

Thanks! We know he cleaned up after a multiple knife injury murder because he had to have blood on him, his clothing, and his car. The truckstop seems like the perfect place to clean up, but if he lived alone he may have cleaned up at home.
Sorry but I just don't see it. Going into a truck stop with blood on him? Those places are public..well trucking public and no way would he take that chance.

That is going to be an impossibility; reason being; he took LE to Mollies body.

The charges against Rivera were filed this past Tuesday but media reports indicate LE initially approached him on Monday. And iirc it was stated he turned over his cellphone to LE? I wonder if Location Services and/or Google Maps was active on his phone the entire time and LE was able to determine his entire route along with the correlating time by that means? Wasn’t that how he led LE to the precise spot, something about looking it up on his cellphone? Maybe but I’ll admit I’m not sure if I remember that correctly...
I was referring to the 7:30- 8:28 timeline .
But in terms of the map you are referring to, it was stated he needed to use the map on his phone for directions, I think it just meant he had to look at a Google map. He probably isn't too good with directions LE likely had a hard time understanding him.

Last edited:
Good luck to the defense if they try to claim it wasn’t him. He led them directly to her body and said “I did it.” Forensic evidence, both physical and digital, will dig his grave.

First thing the defense attorney will do is try to have the confession thrown out. Just because it happened doesn’t mean it will be presented as evidence at trial.

But I doubt it goes to trial. I’m guessing this will end in a plea, since it’s such a hot button case.

I don't think so. It couldn't upload info it doesn't have, like pulse rate or oxygen levels. But I think the watch would continue to record and upload and info it did get.

They differ in what info they gather and save. DH is an avid runner, and his watch details everything you can imagine, his temp, oxygen levels ~ amazing stuff. It is an expensive one, and as a young college student, she may not have access to an expensive watch.
Thanks for the info. What watch does your husband have? I typically use an old Garmin for my runs but I never wear the heart monitor strap. Thanks!

Probably housing included with pay, really.
Ain’t no free. We have a citrus farm town north of here. They live 10-20 in a home kind of like a dorm that they pay for. The farmers own the grocery stores, gas stations and any other comfort we take for granted. Let’s not pretend these people have an edge we don’t. Maybe where you are this is not the case but yes I live in the US as a college educated person and this is still reality for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214