IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you mean.

In the affidavit, it says that Mollie said that she was going to call police.

"Rivera said he then panicked and got mad and that he then "blocked" his "memory" which is what he does when he gets very upset and ..."​

It seems very clear that Rivera claims that Mollie threatened him with calling police, he got mad, he blocked his memory, and his memory became unblocked when he saw the earbud on his lap.
It's honestly clear to me too. My post followed yours but was belated in asking about another post where it was stated that he described it as "something that happens as a result of trauma". That's not from the affidavit.

Sorry to jump in like this (long time lurker) but I am a native Spanish-speaker as well as an attorney who has dealt with interpreters not properly translating what my clients say — resulting in me having to intervene. I practice in urban areas where Spanish is fairly common and interpreters still get a lot wrong. A big factor is that Spanish, particularly informal language and slang, varies a lot depending on where the speaker is from. Mexican Spanish is not the same as Venezuelan Spanish or Puerto Rican Spanish.

“Blacking out” would most closely translate to “losing consciousness” (“perder el conocimiento”). Which would mean CR claimed he lost consciousness after Mollie said she would call the police. But “blocking out” makes the most sense to me, if what CR said is that he can’t recall whatever happened bc it has been “erased” from his memory (ex: “no me acuerdo, lo borré de mi memoria”).

Just my opinion.
I always wondered if there was sometimes miscommunication even with the translater. It seems they would also have to translate the meaning, as well. Probably why there is a need for two translaters.

Sorry to jump in like this (long time lurker) but I am a native Spanish-speaker as well as an attorney who has dealt with interpreters not properly translating what my clients say — resulting in me having to intervene. I practice in urban areas where Spanish is fairly common and interpreters still get a lot wrong. A big factor is that Spanish, particularly informal language and slang, varies a lot depending on where the speaker is from. Mexican Spanish is not the same as Venezuelan Spanish or Puerto Rican Spanish.

“Blacking out” would most closely translate to “losing consciousness” (“perder el conocimiento”). Which would mean CR claimed he lost consciousness after Mollie said she would call the police. But “blocking out” makes the most sense to me, if what CR said is that he can’t recall whatever happened bc it has been “erased” from his memory (ex: “no me acuerdo, lo borré de mi memoria”).

Just my opinion.

Thank you for sharing your experience. What is written on the arrest warrant supported by the affidavid is during the interview CR stated that after getting mad, “and that he then “blocked” his “memory”......”
http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/p...-2018_DCI_ArrestWarrantComplaintAffidavit.pdf

Last edited:
Rivera knows what he did. He is lying when he says that he blocked his memory of what happened between the time that Mollie threatened to call police, and his arrival at the corn field to hide her body.

He is lying when he claims that Mollie's threat to call police made him so mad that his memory malfunctioned. He is simply blaming Mollie for his violent assault on her.

He is blaming Mollie for all of it. The odd thing is...after 5 weeks, you'd think he'd come up with a better story. I don't think he's very smart. I also wonder if he had others help him compile this steaming pile of BS. Perhaps none of them speak English very well and they ended up with this. I also think he's so self-centered that he possibly thought this would suffice. Especially with other male LE.

I don't think it matters unless he has medical records verifying a condition where he's known to 'black out' when he feels "upset" - but is able to carry out an abduction, then finish his crime once he "comes to" in the car he's been driving while 'blacked out'.

I think LE has a lot on him from the car and from the scene, and if they got probable cause for first degree and he led them to the body, it's over for him. For Mollie's sake, I hope so.

He is blaming Mollie for all of it. The odd thing is...after 5 weeks, you'd think he'd come up with a better story. I don't think he's very smart. I also wonder if he had others help him compile this steaming pile of BS. Perhaps none of them speak English very well and they ended up with this. I also think he's so self-centered that he possibly thought this would suffice. Especially with other male LE.
I think you are right, he is not the sharpest tool in the shed, or sharpest tac, or whatever the saying is. I'm actually surprised he avoided getting caught for so long. If a sharp eyed cop hadn't noticed the vehicle, he may have still been free right now.

Yes, I understand!! We discussed it at length the other day! You don't remember? ( Are you having a" black out" or have you blocked it from your memory ?) It means the same thing.. People just say it in different ways.
Some people may (or obviously do) think it means the same thing, but as someone who has experienced both, I can tell you that it doesn't to everybody. When I was young, I had some somewhat traumatic experiences, and I also did some rather heavy drinking as a teen. I can guarantee you there's a big difference between blacking out (from too much alcohol in my case) and blocking out memories of things too hard to face. One of the biggest differences in my mind is that a "black out" is usually a permanent loss of the memory or the memory never formed; blocked memories can return, and sometimes in unusual or very inconvenient ways and times. Of course, that doesn't mean he uses the same definitions as I do, but it also isn't necessarily true that he would consider them to be the same thing either. MOO

I just find this whole 'blocked' or even possibly 'blacked' (if he didn't understand the two) BS. Even if he did confuse the words, or not even know how to use them, I find him utterly stupid. With 5 weeks to plan, that's the best you could come up with? So you can't remember a huge chunk of murdering another human, but you use a 4 year-olds explanation.
The oldest trick in the book.

Some people may (or obviously do) think it means the same thing, but as someone who has experienced both, I can tell you that it doesn't to everybody. When I was young, I had some somewhat traumatic experiences, and I also did some rather heavy drinking as a teen. I can guarantee you there's a big difference between blacking out (from too much alcohol in my case) and blocking out memories of things too hard to face. One of the biggest differences in my mind is that a "black out" is usually a permanent loss of the memory or the memory never formed; blocked memories can return, and sometimes in unusual or very inconvenient ways and times. Of course, that doesn't mean he uses the same definitions as I do, but it also isn't necessarily true that he would consider them to be the same thing either. MOO
Exactly! Thank you for describing it better than I ever could. That is how I differentiate the two as well. Just as you said, people use both in different ways. You can usually tell what they mean by the context of the story....thank you for clearing up the confusion, confusion.

As far as why he killed her...I think it was because he decided to assault her, and she was the only witness. I don’t think his initial intention was murder, it was sexual assault.
It’s impossible to say for sure. For some offenders, the murder is the fulfillment of the sexual desire.

Thank you for sharing your experience. What is written on the arrest warrant supported by the affidavid is during the interview CR stated that after getting mad, he had “blocked” his “memory”.
http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/p...-2018_DCI_ArrestWarrantComplaintAffidavit.pdf

I’m trying to envision his explanation of this in Spanish to kind of reverse engineer that translation, so this is conjecture on my part. But, it actually sounds more to me like he claims he got so enraged that he can’t remember what happened next or that whatever happened has been blocked by his memory.

There’s a term in Spanish that actually comes up in DV situations where the abusive spouse becomes so angry they experience a “rage attack” (“ataque de ira”). They react explosively but claim they are on some primal auto-pilot and can’t really exercise any control, like the anger is controlling them. So someone could get hurt, but they claim they don’t remember how or they don’t know how they got the weapon and used it until the episode was over. It is somewhat similar to “heat of passion”.

Did CR actually experience this? IMO, I think he didn’t. But he has created some wiggle room in his story and I am very curious to see what the defense will throw at the jury to see if it sticks. After Casey Anthony, nothing shocks me anymore.

I’m trying to envision his explanation of this in Spanish to kind of reverse engineer that translation, so this is conjecture on my part. But, it actually sounds more to me like he claims he got so enraged that he can’t remember what happened next or that whatever happened has been blocked by his memory.

There’s a term in Spanish that actually comes up in DV situations where the abusive spouse becomes so angry they experience a “rage attack” (“ataque de ira”). They react explosively but claim they are on some primal auto-pilot and can’t really exercise any control, like the anger is controlling them. So someone could get hurt, but they claim they don’t remember how or they don’t know how they got the weapon and used it until the episode was over. It is somewhat similar to “heat of passion”.

Did CR actually experience this? IMO, I think he didn’t. But he has created some wiggle room in his story and I am very curious to see what the defense will throw at the jury to see if it sticks. After Casey Anthony, nothing shocks me anymore.
That’s how I view it as well. There are two motives for him doing this. To save face, and avoid explaining his hideous act. Or to absolve himself of responsibility, perhaps to a legal end.

I would think that abduction and sexual assault with no murder would be high risk because he'd have a live witness on his hands. I think killing her was a next logical step for him.
That’s a very practical view that very well may be the case (it most likely is). My point is that for certain lust killers, serial killers especially, the killing is the most satisfying part. It is done to fulfill a need, and not necessarily to eliminate a witness.

We don't know the condition of the body and if semen was recovered they would obviously do a DNA analysis on it.

We don't know yet what LE has found. JMO
We actually have a pretty good idea of what the condition of any body would be after 33 days. I cant imagine how there could be any skin, or tissue,organs, etc to easily detect SA.

That’s a very practical view that very well may be the case (it most likely is). My point is that for certain lust killers, serial killers especially, the killing is the most satisfying part. It is done to fulfill a need, and not necessarily to eliminate a witness.
Without a doubt, especially as it was seemingly so violent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper