IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember an extra stop being mentioned in-between the abduction and removing her from the trunk.

That’s my belief too, but there was debate/speculation late last week about an intermediate stop closer to abduction site, somewhere along 385 where a potential SA may have occurred before the final hide at cornfield.[/QUOTE]

This was my question as well, because I did not envision her jogging out of the city limits, where the houses were further apart. I thought he took her at the intersection ( Boundary and Middle ), and then there was some type of evidence that something happened out of town on 385. It was not making sense to me, either!

This question might be a bit much early in the morning, but I was thinking about the cause of death. Interesting how they do not say stab wounds, which is what I normally see.

And then the comment about him being registered as a SO possibly.

Could it be, that she died of sharp force trauma via a sexual assault?

There are circumstances where kidnapng can be elevated to the Federal level, but I don't think that applies in this case. However, the Feds can be very creative with filing charges and linking them to get where they want to go. I'm from Louisiana, and I've seen them do this a number of times, as has at least one past multi-term governor.
"Fast Eddie"

This question might be a bit much early in the morning, but I was thinking about the cause of death. Interesting how they do not say stab wounds, which is what I normally see.

State medical examiner Dennis Klein said in an interview that the finding means a sharp-edged or pointed object such as a knife was used to attack Tibbetts.

He declined comment on the details of her injuries, and said that his office would hire consultants, including forensic anthropologists, to analyze her remains further and make additional findings.

Medical examiner says Iowa student died from stab wounds

I think they are being cautious as the weapon has not been found. I am guessing they do not want to box themselves into a corner they cannot get out of at court.

Just to clear up any questions on if he had a translator while LE was interviewing him

According to the arrest affidavit, during an interview with investigators on Monday, Rivera confessed to elements of the crime, but not the murder itself.

He allegedly told investigators — through a Spanish translator supplied by ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations department — that he followed Tibbetts while she was out jogging, first in his vehicle and then on foot, and later hid her body under corn leaves.

According to the report, Rivera described seeing Tibbetts’s body in the trunk of his car, with blood on the side of her head.

Details Continue to Emerge in Mollie Tibbetts Murder Case – Rolling Stone

Yes, that's possible, but it's also possible that the ME is being deliberately vague on a preliminary/initial autopsy report finding on a corpse in an advanced state of decomp. If you say it on an official report, it will come back to bite you in court when you testify.

Sharp force trauma is accurate, but vague enough to cover whatever further findings may develop. The ME, on MSM media, said that he was going to consult with forensic anthropologists; this indicating that he has further questions about the exact weapon used, and did not want to pin down anything else until a Murder weapon develops.

Last edited:
Just to clear up any questions on if he had a translator while LE was interviewing him

According to the arrest affidavit, during an interview with investigators on Monday, Rivera confessed to elements of the crime, but not the murder itself.

He allegedly told investigators — through a Spanish translator supplied by ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations department — that he followed Tibbetts while she was out jogging, first in his vehicle and then on foot, and later hid her body under corn leaves.

According to the report, Rivera described seeing Tibbetts’s body in the trunk of his car, with blood on the side of her head.

Details Continue to Emerge in Mollie Tibbetts Murder Case – Rolling Stone

Because Mexico speaks different kinds of Spanish in different area's I would now think that they get a translater from his neck of the woods that can convey in the exact form of his area.
I do not want to hear CR say that is not my language, I did not understand.

Because Mexico speaks different kinds of Spanish in different area's I would now think that they get a translater from his neck of the woods that can convey in the exact form of his area.
I do not want to hear CR say that is not my language, I did not understand.

With his attorney hiring one hopefully that will eliminate the “I didn’t understand” BS

I think they are being cautious as the weapon has not been found. I am guessing they do not want to box themselves into a corner they cannot get out of at court.

Ok, that makes sense. I had just never seen it referred to sharp force trauma instead of stab wounds. But not knowing the weapon makes sense. They also want to protect their investigation.

I was just reading another story about a child who died that way, and my mind wandered into that dark hole.

Does the statement regarding him leaving her "face up" covered in leaves (or stalks, we don't know) seem odd? Would this typically be in response to a question asked by LE in order to connect him to how she was found? Or would you think it was just a detail he added? I'm just wondering how much to make of it as an odd detail to throw in to his statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper