IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a smart move by the killer to get a new attorney. Richards was an absolute disaster. Like a deer in headlights in front of cameras and seemed more interested in social justice warrioring than actually giving his client a legal defense. The guy seemed to genuinely care about minorities and disenfranchised people of all races but an experienced attorney would know there isn't a chance in hell that would play in a case like this.

There are cases where innocent minorities who may not understand the language/culture/etc. well are railroaded because they don't know what to do and not do. This is not one of them. The killer described the assault in detail and from memory led police to Mollie's body. That alone should be enough. Interested to see what line the Frese's take as I'm not sure of any plea deal the prosecutor would accept beyond plead guilty to murder one and throw yourself on the mercy of the court for punishment phase would work at this point.

It's likely legal because there is a good chance she was around age 16 at the time, it happened about 3 years ago and due to the fact that viciously assaulting and murdering someone is what is on their agenda right now. In my opinion, they wouldn't care if she were underage by a year.
I think they would care. It would give CR a criminal record for sexual crime.

I wonder if these private attorney's can be paid out of Iowa's indigent defense system.

The State Public Defender also contracts with more than one thousand private attorneys and several nonprofit organizations throughout Iowa to provide court-appointed representation in cases that public defender offices are unable to handle. These contract attorneys, as well as other indigent defense providers, such as investigators, court reporters, interpreters, and expert witnesses, are paid from the Indigent Defense Fund, which is administered by the State Public Defender.

https://spd.iowa.gov/about-us

according to the Inside Edition story of all this, IM was a year ahead of Mollie. So if Mollie was 20 when she passed, IM is 20-21 - minus 3 years (age of child) I'm assuming IM was 18 years old when the child was born, not 16 or younger. Leading to no statutory rape issue.

ETA - I havent heard of her age when they started dating - Im just going from the age of the child.

Sorry guys, another Fitbit question. Assuming she had on the Fitbit and it was registering when she died, would it have shown a continuous heartbeat and its pattern of slowing? I would assume her pulse would be rushing, rushing, rushing, then slowing, slowing, stop. Would all that show?

I've figured all along that if LE had this information, they would have told the family they suspected she was dead because of the data. However, maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Maybe they had their reasons to play like they thought she was alive?

Yes, if it was a FitBit that recorded heart rate, this is what it would do. Also, as you bleed out, HR rate increases to make up declining circulating blood volume, then you crash. And, with a closed head injury, blood pressure changes as intracranial pressure increases, and these changes may also be reflected in the HR.

That the FitBit data reflected time of death has been the speculation of much up thread discussion, and suggested as a reason for the very specific upper time limit of 20:28 on the arrest warrant application for a charge of Homocide; this implying that MT was dead by this time.

Check Mr. Frese's FB page. I've got a feeling we'll be on lawyer number 3 soon.

I kinda agree with what he posted about CW. Not sure we can discuss his facebook so I'll leave it at that. :)

Yes, if it was a FitBit that recorded heart rate, this is what it would do. Also, as you bleed out, HR rate increases to make up declining circulating blood volume, then you crash. And, with a closed head injury, blood pressure changes as intracranial pressure increases, and these changes may also be reflected in the HR.

That the FitBit data reflected time of death has been the speculation of much up thread discussion, and suggested as a reason for the very specific upper time limit of 20:28 on the arrest warrant application for a charge of Homocide; this implying that MT was dead by this time.
And if this is the case, how chilling. He wasted no time.

They admitted they were privately hired

Jennifer Frese confirmed Monday that the two have been privately retained to represent Rivera.

Latest: Slain Student's Brother Leads Prep Team to Victory

I understand that.

Casey Anthony privately hired Jose Baez and she didn't have two nickels to rub together.

The State of Florida later paid for her private defense team. Perhaps that will happen in this case. JMO

Is there ever a case where LE would not tell the family this information? Or maybe in this case they did but it wasn't 100% proof, so they soldiered on thinking she might be alive? That's the part the gets me.

I understand that.

Casey Anthony privately hired Jose Baez and she didn't have two nickels to rub together.

The State of Florida later paid for her private defense team. Perhaps that will happen in this case. JMO

I thought Baez admitted he got $200,000 from ABC for photos of Cayley and Casey and that money was used to mount a proper defense?

It was on PBS frontline

Had no idea Florida paid

Found this

Casey Anthony can't afford to pay for defense

Definitely a smart move by the killer to get a new attorney. Richards was an absolute disaster. Like a deer in headlights in front of cameras and seemed more interested in social justice warrioring than actually giving his client a legal defense. The guy seemed to genuinely care about minorities and disenfranchised people of all races but an experienced attorney would know there isn't a chance in hell that would play in a case like this.

There are cases where innocent minorities who may not understand the language/culture/etc. well are railroaded because they don't know what to do and not do. This is not one of them. The killer described the assault in detail and from memory led police to Mollie's body. That alone should be enough. Interested to see what line the Frese's take as I'm not sure of any plea deal the prosecutor would accept beyond plead guilty to murder one and throw yourself on the mercy of the court for punishment phase would work at this point.

You must have contacts in LE; that is one think he simply hasn't done. He claims he can't remember what happened for a period of time.

Spot on!

Strictly MOO, any group that pays for his legal fees makes me sick to my stomach

It’s one thing to do it pro bono, it’s a whole other beast for someone to pay his expenses

Just to remind.

The accused is a suspect. He has been arrested based on evidence and not yet been tried and found guilty. The court of public opinion is one thing, but an actual court of law is the method that the United States is founded on. The rule of law, not the rule of emotion.

How many suspects are found 'not guilty'; some of course. And that is a major point of a advanced civilization since the Magna Carta. No man is above the law. But every man deserves due process, no matter how guilty in public opinion he appears.

Every suspect deserves a rigorous defense. And if found guilty, also deserves the consequences for his actions.

No surprise here. Interesting adding a woman to the defense team. Kind of risky play that can backfire with a jury I have found from my experience as a federal court civil trial attorney. If the jury suspects a woman added to "soften" the defendant in the eyes of jury they will react negatively MOO. Trying to think of last high profile murder/SO case where woman/girl was victim and defense attorney was female? Not OJ...Anyone remember a similar case where female attorney was on defense team in prominent role?MOO

I don't remember which cases, but my impression is that it's quite common--my impression is probably colored by my intense fury at the technique

Edit to clarify: When I say 'the technique', I'm thinking of female attorney--who knows good and well that her client is guilty--patting accused rapist-murderer on the shoulder in a motherly sympathetic way.

Last edited:
And to think i thought we wouldn’t see any ridiculousness on Friday with Richards out. Frese’s fb Has restored my faith we will.
Those two need to lock their fb’s down, too many personal family pics, and you know how crazy some people get.
I’ll be over here popping popcorn.

Richards says Rivera's family hired him and that he hasn't spoken with Rivera about being replaced. Richards says he understands if Rivera wants attorneys with more criminal trial experience.

Jennifer Frese confirmed Monday that the two have been privately retained to represent Rivera.

Who is paying for them???? That’s a huge bill!

Latest: Suspect in Iowa Student's Killing Hires New Lawyers

You might be shocked to learn just how much money hard-working immigrants can sock away. This is why they may be targeted by criminals looking for an easy score. They own homes and property that can be mortgaged.

We don't know for sure how long CR's uncle has been in this country, or how well established he is. At this point, this could simply be family money. In CR's culture, family is everything!

However, if IM is confirmed to have been 14-15 years at the time she got pregnant, and CR was 20, that might help show a pattern of behavior.

I’d really think it’d be very heartless and cruel to use anything related to the 3 year old daughter now as evidence in a murder trial. It’s tragic enough for children in this situation, who had absolutely no choice in their parentage, to grow up knowing their father is a murderer. Another victim.

“....Monarrez and Rivera lived together for about a year before they separated, New York Times reported.

Rivera’s ex-girlfriend attended the preliminary hearing this week following his arrest, holding their 3-year-old daughter....”
Mollie Tibbetts's Ex-Classmate Gave Birth to Alleged Killer's Baby - NTD.TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member