IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The father of Mollie Tibbetts, the Iowa college student who was allegedly killed by an undocumented immigrant, thanked the local Hispanic community on Sunday for the support they offered while he searched for his daughter.

"The Hispanic community are Iowans. They have the same values as Iowans," Rob Tibbetts said while delivering a eulogy for his daughter during her funeral, according to The Des Moines Register.

"As far as I'm concerned, they're Iowans with better food."

I don't remember which cases, but my impression is that it's quite common--my impression is probably colored by my intense fury at the technique

Edit to clarify: When I say 'the technique', I'm thinking of female attorney--who knows good and well that her client is guilty--patting accused rapist-murderer on the shoulder in a motherly sympathetic way.

It would be unethical for a defense attorney to do otherwise than support the client. The defense attorney is not there to argue the defendant is guilty nor innocent. In fact the defense attorney does not know if her client is guilty or innocent (since anyone could lie one way or the other).

The defense attorney is professionally charged with countering the government, or state, or prosecutor arguments. The defense attorney should question that the prosecution presents enough evidence and makes a solid logical case to convince a jury of peers (or judge) beyond a reasonable doubt of guilt.

That may sound odd to the public, but it is true. Experience has guided the English speaking world to develop it's legal system this way. The defense attorneys are there to make sure that juries or judges determine guilt and not guilt, and not police making the determintion. Otherwise we would just lynch people we suspect of crimes and do away with courts.

After seeing the stories about Mollie's memorial service, I am even more firmly convinced that Rob is on some sort of path to sainthood. I am positive he's obviously crushed inside but has been so dignified throughout this whole ordeal. He is doing exactly what his daughter would want him to do and for him to put aside his personal loss and do that takes one hell of a man. I've said it numerous times on here but will say it again in case anyone from Mollie's family ever reads this - Mr. Tibbetts, I salute you.

At this point, the only acceptable outcome is for the killer (what he should be referred to as - not Christian, not CR, what he is; he gave up the right to be called by name when he took Mollie) to spend the rest of his life in the US prison system in Iowa. Yes Iowans will have to pay to feed and house him but there is no chance this will ever happen again by his hand. To me it's a small price to pay for that comfort. He committed the offense here and thus should stand trial and be punished here. The sooner we can get that done with the quicker we can stop all the outlandish interviews from his clown lawyer trying to subvert the fact that his client murdered an innocent person.

God willing, let this come to a quick end with the max sentence for the killer. Both Brooklyn and the Tibbetts family deserve it.

I totally agree with you. And after reading some of the rabid and vicious comments on those same media reports because Mollie’s dad chose to take the high road, I appreciate why the service wasn’t live-streamed after all. I very greatly respect the family for being very careful to not add to the fodder of hate, although obviously that’s a great disappointment to some.

I totally agree with you. And after reading some of the rabid and vicious comments on those same media reports because Mollie’s dad chose to take the high road, I appreciate why the service wasn’t live-streamed after all. I very greatly respect the family for being very careful to not add to the fodder of hate, although obviously that’s a great disappointment to some.

Not to mention that a suspect has a name and is not a 'killer' until a court of law determines he is guilty or not guilty.

I see that Frese was involved in a case that resulted in a man's deportation, which was ruled later that "the defendant was not given adequate advice concerning the consequences of his guilty plea." Frese was the man's attorney that failed to give him the adequate advice. I could post the link but I am unsure if it should be brought here.

according to the Inside Edition story of all this, IM was a year ahead of Mollie. So if Mollie was 20 when she passed, IM is 20-21 - minus 3 years (age of child) I'm assuming IM was 18 years old when the child was born, not 16 or younger. Leading to no statutory rape issue.

ETA - I havent heard of her age when they started dating - Im just going from the age of the child.

Thanks for that. Yes, the numbers add up. If IM is 21 now with a 3 year old child, she’d have been about 18 when the child was born.

I think this child deserves compassion, rather than allegations of proof of her father’s capacity for extreme violence given we know nothing about the relationship between the two.

Did this town let Mollie down? This guy stalked/harassed a 17 year old there. Did anyone call the police???? Did he not get charged??

It would be unethical for a defense attorney to do otherwise than support the client. The defense attorney is not there to argue the defendant is guilty nor innocent. In fact the defense attorney does not know if her client is guilty or innocent (since anyone could lie one way or the other).

The defense attorney is professionally charged with countering the government, or state, or prosecutor arguments. The defense attorney should question that the prosecution presents enough evidence and makes a solid logical case to convince a jury of peers (or judge) beyond a reasonable doubt of guilt.

That may sound odd to the public, but it is true. Experience has guided the English speaking world to develop it's legal system this way. The defense attorneys are there to make sure that juries or judges determine guilt and not guilt, and not police making the determintion. Otherwise we would just lynch people we suspect of crimes and do away with courts.
I believe it is not atypical for a criminal defense attorney to never ask the client if he or she committed the crime for various reasons. If he is telling this attorney he "blacked" or blocked" it out, then the attorney would not assume guilt I would think. MOO

His family hired Richards and the new attorneys have been privately hired

Who the heck is paying for this?

When I went to school in Davenport IA, in the 80's, a family descended from immigrants, like CR and his family, owned a chain of Mexican restaurants. There may be sympathetic deep pockets in the immigrant community, or this could simply be family money. I've personally known many immigrants from Latin America who have worked hard, are very successful and now own cars, homes, property and businesses. Not all immigrants are impoverished and living in a trailer milking cows for a living, and we don't know how well established CR's uncle is.

In 1995 NOPD Officer Antoinette Frank killed two immigrant family member employees of a family owned Vietnamese restaurant. She and her partner also killed a fellow NOPD officer working security at the restaurant that night. There were there to take the private (and legal) neighborhood merchant group lending bank money ($10k - $20k+) that the restaurant owners were holding that month. Members of the group would take turns holding the kitty for the honor based lending group. This is not uncommon in immigrant communities, when convential banks won't do business with them.

Immigrants work hard, they save their money, and will spend it on what matters to them when it is important!

The father of Mollie Tibbetts, the Iowa college student who was allegedly killed by an undocumented immigrant, thanked the local Hispanic community on Sunday for the support they offered while he searched for his daughter.

"The Hispanic community are Iowans. They have the same values as Iowans," Rob Tibbetts said while delivering a eulogy for his daughter during her funeral, according to The Des Moines Register.

"As far as I'm concerned, they're Iowans with better food."
Very heartfelt I am sure but also if this Hispanic community was hiding in fear from coming forward with information about CR, his past, anything he said or did after the crime, now they may be more willing to come forward and help RT. Probably not why he said it as he is a better person than me but the collateral benefits could be uge to assist in the case! MOO

Who is paying? His people and I would not doubt if they are holding fundraisers etc. I wonder if they have one of those pages? Nahhh I do not think it would be allowed.
Privately retained doesn’t necessarily mean anyone is paying. Could be pro-bono. I doubt there is a requirement to disclose this JMO

One can be a killer regardless of proven guilt by the state.

I agree. HE CONFESSED by his own admission he killed. Secondary is he led LE to her body folks.

And yes this case is very weird. And yes it will become more so. I think he will go through even more counsel.

Keep in mind. Lawyers can read. No offense to attorneys here. They may incorporate social media and blogs in his defense.

Another non Facebooker here and the only time I do wish I had it is times like this but it does not make me do it.
I have FB. Via mobile his last is an updated pic. Nothing I see as odd. He says he’s ugly...nothing I haven’t said when changing a profile pic. Some of the context is gone due to previous friends deleting themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jboo1119