Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Cross. "He seemed calm, not nervous." Says he was polite, answered all questions.
9:11 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Lots of agencies got involved in this case, including federal. "Did any of these briefings include briefings from the FBI about what type of individual you were looking for?" defense atty Chad Frese asks. "I don't believe so, no," Deputy Kivi says.
9:14 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Says southeast part of county was were #MollieTibbetts phone "powered off or the last known location of the phone." Chad Frese asks about a man named Wayne Cheney.
9:15 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese: If there were a tip about a person who had a history of violence against women, sexual (deviance?) in that quadrant would that be something police follow up on? Kivi: Yes. We had a missing 20-year-old.
9:17 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Asking about who law enforcement talked to who live near where #MollieTibbetts body was found.
9:19 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Asking about neighbor/former law enforcement who lived to the west of where body was found. Deputy Kivi says he did talk to this neighbor and got info on his past. "Would the report involve him being sexually violent in the past?" "I don't remember, it could've."
9:20 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
As to other man, Cheney, Kivi says: "He was interviewed. He was looked at very closely and cleared.'
9:21 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
The other man was not brought in to be officially questioned, but Deputy Kivi says they did walk his property.
9:22 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
As to July 20, Frese asks: "Was your interview the first real interview Mr. [Dalton] Jack had to go through?" Kivi says Deputy Simpson did talk to Dalton the night of the 19th. "Mine was the very next one, yes."
9:27 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Statements taken to further investigation, Kivi agrees. "To gain more information on Mollie Tibbetts, her habits, build victimology."
9:28 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Dalton told Kivi he was at the hotel in Dubuque on the 18th. Was working until noon on the bridge on the 19th. Went to the hotel to take a nap after getting rained out.
9:28 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"Do you recall saying to Mr. Jack that every little detail he could give you was important?" "Sounds like something I would say. We don't know what's important and what's not."
9:29 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"He had clear recollection of her run routes?" "Yes."
9:31 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese asks about Dalton telling about a rumor of "some girl and an unknown male had been in an accident down by the small town of Pekin? And the girl had injuries." "I remember asking, just to be polite, I wasn't sure how that matched up with what we were doing."
9:33 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese asking about search of Jack home. "Do you remember seeing guns." "No." "Do you remember seeing knives?" "Not any that stuck out. I've got knives in my home too."
9:34 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Chris Gothner KCCI on Twitter
Kivi says he wrote search warrants for Google locations, CBR's trailer, a Nissan Altima involved. 8 or 9 in total. Also did a consent search of the Jack residence. Says he didn't remember seeing guns or nights. #BahenaRiveraTrial
@KCCINews
9:34 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese now going through list of people investigated for Mollie's disappearance. Deputy Kivi wasn't involved in all these investigations, he says.
9:35 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese asking if anyone at Manatts in Brooklyn were investigated. Kivi says they canvassed but he's not sure if anyone was specifically investigated. Frese asked earlier if Dalton said Mollie ran by there regularly. Kivi said he didn't recall the mention of Manatts.
9:37 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Redirect. Bart Klaver asking about August 20th visit to Yarrabee Farms.
9:39 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Kivi says he knew CBR was being interviewed, but he wasn't part of it. About 9 pm that night he got a call "They're still down here talking to Mr. Rivera. He has some interesting things to say. You may want to get back here."
9:40 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

In prosecution redirect, Kivi now talking about canvass of Yarrabee Farms (CBR's employer) on 8/20. Kivi says he was aware that an interview of CBR was taking place. #BahenaRiveraTrial @KCCINews
9:40 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Got to sheriff's office the morning of August 21. Says they then went to cornfield "about four to 500 feet west of 2474 460th Ave." Says they found human remains, later identified as #MollieTibbetts
9:42 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter

9:43 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Arrived at cornfield a little after 5 am, Kivi says.
9:45 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"I believe Agent Potratz (sp?) was" first person to discover body.
9:45 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Klaver: Were you aware of any admissions the defendant made at the cornfield? Kivi: Yes. Klaver: Was any physical evidence associated with Wayne Cheney (or Mr. Peska)? Kivi: No. #BahenaRiveraTrial @KCCINews
9:47 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Angenette Levy on Twitter
Redirect to Kivi: Regarding the people mentioned by Mr. Frese, did you develop any evidence tying them to Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance? No. Recross: Did you ever find the murder weapon? No.@LawCrimeNetwork
9:49 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese: Was a murder weapon ever found? Kivi: No.
9:49 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

10 minute recess.

Last edited:
Does Frese really think he added some "reasonable doubt" by asking if, after the defendant leads them to Molly's body, they didn't go and talk to some other resident? The jurors must have rolled their eyes so hard at that question.

Here is a question if anyone knows: At yesterday's trial, CBR's cousin who purchased the Malibu states that CBR said at the birthday party that he had a date. Was any other woman found who he dated, or was this a veiled reference that he had been watching Mollie?

Local | Des Moines Local News & Weather | Des Moines, Iowa | weareiowa.com

May 19, 2021 -- Recap of Day 1

12 jurors and three alternates began court proceedings Wednesday, May 19 as the trial for 26-year-old Cristhian Bahena Rivera started in Scott County, Iowa.

Bahena Rivera is charged with first-degree murder in the 2018 death of Mollie Tibbetts, a 20-year-old University of Iowa student. The jury was selected over the course of two days at the Davenport River Center; they began with 175 people and whittled it down to 15 by Tuesday afternoon.

Mollie's boyfriend, Dalton Jack, testified Wednesday that while he did have a relationship with another woman while he and Mollie were dating, they moved past it before her disappearance.

"I wholeheartedly believe he's guilty," he said of Bahena Rivera when asked why he didn't want to testify at the trial. The jury also heard from Blake Jack, Dalton's brother, Deputy Matt Simpson with the Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office and a cousin of Bahena Rivera's who said she sold him a Black Chevy Malibu prosecutors say was caught on camera near Mollie as she was running.

If convicted, Bahena Rivera faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Watch Day 1 of the trial: https://youtu.be/exjoJI1-1Hc

Here is a question if anyone knows: At yesterday's trial, CBR's cousin who purchased the Malibu states that CBR said at the birthday party that he had a date. Was any other woman found who he dated, or was this a veiled reference that he had been watching Mollie?
I did not perceive the cousin's testimony that way. I thought she was describing the last time she saw him -- his demeanor, and that he appeared normal, happy, -- looking forward to a date. MOO

After a brief recess, Logan Collins taking the stand. He's the neighbor who investigators say had surveillance video showing CBR's Chevy Malibu. #BahenaRiveraTrial@KCCINews
10:09 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
We're back. State calls Logan Collins, the neighbor who gave police the surveillance video they say shows CBR following #MollieTibbetts
10:09 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Logan Collins is the next witness. Lived in Brooklyn starting in 2012, where the surveillance video of the black car was taken.@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

10:11 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Collins worked for a Cedar Rapids company that installed cameras for hotels, commercial, residential. He's familiar with security systems.
10:12 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Cameras were on the detached garage, one pointed to southeast toward Boundary St. North, northeast, and south were also covered by three more cameras.
10:14 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Collins says he contacted a deputy sheriff "shortly after Mollie went missing" and he came and took some surveillance.
10:15 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
E11zla7XEAAv28U

10:18 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Prosecutors showing screengrab from Collins’ security camera video, showing the Malibu.@KCCINews #BahenaRiveraTrial

10:21 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Last edited:
Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Cross-exam. Collins says he didn't review the videos before handing them over to police.
10:23 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Chad Frese: "If someone's driving around three, four times around the block, that's something someone would take notice of." "Yes." Says nothing unusual caught his attention July 18.
10:25 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
We saw still pics from Collin's video but no video and nothing of Mollie Tibbetts.
10:27 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
State calls Agent Derek Riessen with Iowa DCI.
10:27 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Next prosecution witness is up: Iowa DCI Special Agent Derek Riessen.
@KCCINews #BahenaRiveraTrial
10:28 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

I did not perceive the cousin's testimony that way. I thought she was describing the last time she saw him -- his demeanor, and that he appeared normal, happy, -- looking forward to a date. MOO

Did he really have a date though? That's basically what I'm wondering, is if Cristhian was thinking of Mollie?

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Iowa DCI Agent Derek Riessen is testifying now. He works with the major crimes unit. Assigned to help with Mollie's disappearance.@wqad #MollieTibbetts

[URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD/status/1395401708239560704']10:31 AM · May 20, 2021
·Twitter Web App[/URL]

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Agent Riessen became involved with #MollieTibbetts case July 26th to canvas, interview, etc. Agent Trent Villeta was the case agent in charge.
10:32 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Agent Riessen was tasked with trying to gather surveillance footage "to establish a timeline for Mollie." Says it took some time even though Brooklyn is a small town, but people were very cooperative.
10:34 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Riessen's job was to gather surveillance footage in and around Brooklyn.
10:35 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"After looking and being in the town of Brooklyn, to get to 385th there were only two roads to access that road on the pavement."
10:44 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Riessen says on August 14 he did not see a jogger on the video. On August 15, he spent a considerable amount of time reviewing the video. He shows Agent George the video and he says "I think I saw something there."
10:45 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

"Sure enough, we saw what looked like a jogger in the frame," Riessen recalls.
@LawCrimeNetwork

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
The runner was seen from a distance and appears to have a ponytail, Agent Riessen says. Mollie was seen running in a ponytail by Steward.

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Bringing up that video now.
10:46 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Timestamp: July 19, 2018 7:45 pm Agent Riessen says he compared time and date on his cellphone; date was correct but time was three minutes slow
10:47 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Looking at photo now. The jogger is tiny (taken from distance) and it lasts only a fraction of a second.
10:49 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Agent Riessen says a runner who appears to have a ponytail is seen on one video at 7:45pm on the night of July 18th. Very hard to see, just a few frames.@wqad
#mollietibbetts

[URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD/status/1395406455616966657']10:49 AM · May 20, 2021
·Twitter Web App[/URL]

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Enhanced video is a bit better. You can definitely see a runner, but it's quick and blurry.
10:51 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"Essentially what we decided to do was start logging everything we saw on the video." Before 7:45 timestamp and after.
10:52 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Chris Gothner KCCI on Twitter (Video)
Enhanced surveillance video shows what appears to be a runner. That led investigators to log everything in the video (vehicles etc) in and around that time.
10:53 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Saw a black Chevy Malibu in the video. "It was significant just being in the area. It was someone we really felt we needed to identify...if they saw Mollie jogging."
10:54 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Agent Riessen says the black Malibu is seen on video shortly after the runner flashes by. Says that stood out as someone they needed to talk to. Car had distinctive "after market" chrome on the mirrors.@wqad #mollietibbetts
10:56 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
We've discussed the chrome mirror covers on that car several times. Agent Riessen says they investigated and found they aren't a standard feature for that car, a specialty or after-market item.

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
10 min break here.

Last edited:
And another break...

Do you think CBR must be thinking “Why did I put those chrome mirrors on that car”?

What happened to the car? Is it still in police custody or was the cousin able to sell it and recoup some of the cost?

Good morning. Sidebar in progress now, so will introduce myself. Just joining in on this case. I am 150 miles from Brooklyn IA, have one sister in Cedar Rapids and another in Davenport, so my neck of the woods.

Remember hearing about this when it occurred. Justice for Mollie.
Welcome, @Forever Young. As a local, can you provide some clarity on driving privileges in Iowa? More specifically, I'm curious about the testimony where CBR presented a birth certificate to law enforcement when he was stopped driving the subject black Malibu. Is the birth certificate in lieu of a driver's license? Thank you.

And another break...

Do you think CBR must be thinking “Why did I put those chrome mirrors on that car”?

What happened to the car? Is it still in police custody or was the cousin able to sell it and recoup some of the cost?
I'm also curious how long the vehicle kept in custody.

Cousin testified that she continued making payments on the vehicle loan through 2020 when it was paid off. However, she did not provide if she was in possession of the vehicle (then or now) or if the vehicle in custody or sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one that lived it