Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Denise Hnytka@DeniseWQAD

Romero did the interview in Spanish with Bahena Rivera. At this time, Mollie's body had not been found. She says he was engaged, friendly and appeared to understand what was going on.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

12:45 PM · May 20, 2021

Romero met Cristhian Bahena Rivera for an interview at the Poweshiek Co. Sheriff's office. Says he was cooperative. Told him he could leave at any time, but he was agreeable.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

12:41 PM · May 20, 2021

Pamela Romero is testifying now. While working for Iowa City PD, she was asked to help with interviews in Poweshiek County because she is fluent in Spanish.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

12:35 PM · May 20, 2021

Special agent Green says DNA swabs were taken from Hispanic employees at Yarrabee. Defense is asking why Hispanic employees were asked to give a swab when many other white workers, including the dairy farm owner were not.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

12:08 PM · May 20, 2021·

Special Agent Scott Green, Iowa DCI is now called. He also went to Yarrabee to meet with Bahena Rivera and took him back to the sheriffs office.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

12:01 PM · May 20, 2021

Fischels says Bahena Rivera was driving another car that day. The black malibu was back at his house. He gave consent for it to be searched. Also consented to house search. Agreed to an interview at the Sheriffs Office.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

11:49 AM · May 20, 2021 PT

Last edited:
Denise Hnytka
@DeniseWQAD

Fischels was asked to go to Yarabee Farms, where Bahena Rivera worked. They spoke in a break room, in Spanish. Says he was calm and cooperative.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

11:46 AM · May 20, 2021

Denise Hnytka@DeniseWQAD

Mike Fischels, Federal agent with Department of Homeland Security, is now on the stand. Part of his job is immigration enforcement. He is stationed in Cedar Rapids.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

11:40 AM · May 20, 2021

Clarifying an earlier tweet with a typo... Agent Riessen says from the time the runner went by until 8:07, there were 14 vehicles seen on the camera. 6 were the Malibu.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

10:15 AM · May 20, 2021· PT

Last edited:
I can’t remember either... but he was driving the Altima not the Malibu...why? We can guess...
Witness Romero testified that CBR stated he drove the Altima on the back roads because it did not have current registration. If true, this doesn't follow that he would drive the Altima to the Sheriff's office where he allowed the vehicle to be searched.

ETA: Perhaps the vehicle was searched by Fischel at the Farm and not at the Sheriff's office?

Denise Hnytka
@DeniseWQAD

Romero says he described the runner as attractive. Used the word "hot". Denied harming her.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

1:01 PM · May 20, 2021

Romero showed him picture of the malibu taken by the surveillance camera. He admitted that was his car, and he was alone in it at the time. He said he had seen the runner that day, a girl. Said he saw her 3 times. She even smiled and waved at him.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

12:58 PM · May 20, 2021·

Romero says she first brought up Mollie about an hour into the interview. Initially said he had no idea who she was. She showed him a photo from a missing flyer. He said the flyers were all over town, and he had seen Mollie's boyfriend at a gas station.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

12:53 PM · May 20, 2021· PT

He stated that she smiled and waved at him.

I am an avid runner and a female. I didn't know Molly, but I know a lot of runners. I am not sure any of them would say they smile and wave at people they don't know (he stated he didn't know Molly so assuming she also then didn't know him).

Personal safety and being aware of my surroundings is a constant thought for me when I am out running or hiking alone. Something most men will never have to be concerned with or worry about is weather predators are lurking around watching while they run. When passing men jogging or on a trail or when men honk and yell out car windows it makes me nervous. If the same car passed by me 3 or more times I would definitely be on alert and I don't see myself waving or smiling or even looking directly at a vehicle that just circled back to come by again and again. I would never make eye contact or give any false impression that I was trying to "be friendly" or "engage with" anyone while I am out running alone. This isn't me trying to be rude, it's just the way life is because men will read more into these cues and I don't want to draw any more attention to the fact I am out running alone.

So maybe she did smile and wave, but my own thoughts on that are she did not especially not on the roads she was on at that time in the evening.

Denise Hnytka
@DeniseWQAD

Romero says he described the runner as attractive. Used the word "hot". Denied harming her.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

1:01 PM · May 20, 2021

Romero showed him picture of the malibu taken by the surveillance camera. He admitted that was his car, and he was alone in it at the time. He said he had seen the runner that day, a girl. Said he saw her 3 times. She even smiled and waved at him.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

12:58 PM · May 20, 2021·

Romero says she first brought up Mollie about an hour into the interview. Initially said he had no idea who she was. She showed him a photo from a missing flyer. He said the flyers were all over town, and he had seen Mollie's boyfriend at a gas station.
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

12:53 PM · May 20, 2021· PT
And thank you too, Seattle, Niner and everybody else!

This judge and his breaks, holy cow. :(

If CBR understood no English, how did he know Molly was threatening to call the police? And when he started running behind a girl who didn't know him, what did he think her reaction was going to be? 'Oh yeah baby, let's get it on right here'??

This judge and his breaks, holy cow. :(

If CBR understood no English, how did he know Molly was threatening to call the police? And when he started running behind a girl who didn't know him, what did he think her reaction was going to be? 'Oh yeah baby, let's get it on right here'??

I’m guessing since he had been living in the US for seven years, he knew enough English to know what she was threatening to do.

He stated that she smiled and waved at him.

I am an avid runner and a female. I didn't know Molly, but I know a lot of runners. I am not sure any of them would say they smile and wave at people they don't know (he stated he didn't know Molly so assuming she also then didn't know him).

Personal safety and being aware of my surroundings is a constant thought for me when I am out running or hiking alone. Something most men will never have to be concerned with or worry about is weather predators are lurking around watching while they run. When passing men jogging or on a trail or when men honk and yell out car windows it makes me nervous. If the same car passed by me 3 or more times I would definitely be on alert and I don't see myself waving or smiling or even looking directly at a vehicle that just circled back to come by again and again. I would never make eye contact or give any false impression that I was trying to "be friendly" or "engage with" anyone while I am out running alone. This isn't me trying to be rude, it's just the way life is because men will read more into these cues and I don't want to draw any more attention to the fact I am out running alone.

So maybe she did smile and wave, but my own thoughts on that are she did not especially not on the roads she was on at that time in the evening.
I think Molly was friendly with everybody. She probably would have helped a stranger if they needed it. They lived in a safe town where people don't lock their doors. She should have been free to smile and wave at anybody passing by.

He would have murdered her even if she ignored him. It was her rejection of him and her threat to call the police that angered him. Imo

Romero’s testimony has been partly things we have heard and somethings we haven’t. Her saying that he told her “I brought you here didn’t I? So I did it.” That is huge I think.
Also the part where she describes him with no remorse and pretty much unmoved by the whole community out looking for Mollie, says a lot too.

I think Molly was friendly with everybody. She probably would have helped a stranger if they needed it. They lived in a safe town where people don't lock their doors. She should have been free to smile and wave at anybody passing by.

He would have murdered her even if she ignored him. It was her rejection of him and her threat to call the police that angered him. Imo

Oh absolutely we should be able to just smile and wave and not be perceived as interested or that it is some how giving permission for anyone to follow and continue to try to talk to us. I was just speaking from personal experience because we are most vulnerable when out running or hiking alone and to prevent unwanted attention in that setting, I just don't even try to look into cars or to see if I know anyone. I would notice the same car going past me several times. I am the most friendly person too and would also help anyone and everyone when it's needed. I still have had scary moments where I felt uncomfortable and fearful. Friends of mine have all had similar experiences. It even happened to me when I was 8 months pregnant. Even if she did smile and wave, in now way do I think that means she welcomed any further advances or attention from him. I am just curious if he made that statement to try to defer attention from him by saying yeah, I saw her, she even smiled and waved. Thinking it somehow made him look less suspicious in the eyes of the police.

I'm not seeing any emotion from CBR and if anything, I think he seems disinterested, bored, slouched in his chair. JMO
Did his defense attorney advise him to get that hipster haircut and goatee combo? He looks very unsympathetic, in my opinion. And kind of arrogant. I would have gone with a more low key, plain look with some reading glasses. JMO

Special agent Green says DNA swabs were taken from Hispanic employees at Yarrabee. Defense is asking why Hispanic employees were asked to give a swab when many other white workers, including the dairy farm owner were not.
@wqad

Did the farm owner pay for the Malibu every month and drive it every day?

Romero says CBR volunteered that car in surveillance video was his vehicle.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

Replying to
@CGothnerKCCI
Romero says CBR identified the person running in the surveillance video as "she" - despite the fact that the gender of the runner is unidentifiable in the surveillance video.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

Romero says CBR said he saw the runner three times-- says she even waved at him. He claimed he was trying to find his way around town.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

Romero says CBR told her he lost track of her. CBR had said he was going to his uncle's house to pick up a vacuum cleaner, she says.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

"I asked him what he thought of the female runner." "His answer was 'I found her attractive.'" Says he ID'ed her clothing/armband. "He stated at one point that he thought that she was hot."
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

During a break, Cristhian Bahena Rivera was placed into custody, Romero testifies. Says they left office and went to CBR's residence near farm.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

"Did you proceed to a rural area in far-eastern Poweshiek County?" "We landed in a cornfield." Romero says. 2478 460th Ave SE of Guernsey. Location of #MollieTibbetts' body.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

"What did you find?" "#MollieTibbetts' body." Romero talks about reading CBR Miranda warnings after arriving at cornfield.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

...and finding body.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

Romero: "He told me he saw her running 3x. 1 of those times, he parked his car behind her (...) Came close to her, then she noticed him. She turns around, makes the attempt to (...) call the police (...) she got angry & they started fighting."
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

Romero says CBR says he jogged towards #MollieTibbetts before she attempted to call the police.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

"He told me that Mollie was trying to slap him and screaming at him." "Mr. Rivera says this is when he started becoming angry." "He stated that when he gets angry, he usually blacks out." Stated next thing he remembers she was in the trunk.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

Brown: "Did the defendant indicate where he took #MollieTibbetts?" Romero: "Where we were at." Brown:"To the cornfield?" Romero: "To the cornfield."
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members