Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what he was thinking. But he presented fraudulent work documents for his job, according to the employer.

"Farm officials have said Rivera presented an out-of-state photo identification and a Social Security number when he was hired in 2014, and they believed he was the person depicted in those documents until his arrest last month."

Immigrant charged in Iowa student's death was known by alias

Deputy Steve Kivi's testimony regarding request for identification @26:50 minutes in (back up about a minute where he describes an older gentlemen offering to help interpret)

Deputy talks surveillance video in Day 2 of testimony in Bahena Rivera trial

If I remember right, I know the defense has fought tooth and nail for over a year to suppress the interview and confession. The judge did make some rulings in their favor, so I’m guessing the gap has to do with that. Of course, the evidence is admissible and that’s the important part.

I did wonder about that, also if I'd missed if either side questioned her about reading him his rights (and the part she accidentally left out). I thought I'd read the judge's ruling when they tried to get his entire confession thrown out and can't recall exactly what the state lost in that battle (but didn't think it was much).

I did wonder about that, also if I'd missed if either side questioned her about reading him his rights (and the part she accidentally left out). I thought I'd read the judge's ruling when they tried to get his entire confession thrown out and can't recall exactly what the state lost in that battle (but didn't think it was much).
Actually, the state really didn't lose anything since CBR was taking numerous breaks and napping between 11:30 pm and early morning Aug 21 -- the hours designated that CBR was under a defective Miranda warning. I actually watched the 2+ days of the Evidence Suppression hearings and the defense was really grasping at straws during those hearings too. MOO

Judge: Some evidence can be thrown out during Cristhian Bahena Rivera trial

Dec 23, 2019

In November during a suppression hearing for Cristhian Bahena Rivera, the defense witnesses laid out who Bahena is as a person and what could have happened to contribute to what his defense calls an involuntary "alleged" confession.

The state agrees the court should suppress any statements Bahena made between 11:30 p.m. on August 20th and early August 21st; they concede Bahena was improperly Mirandized by an Iowa City officer, leaving out a sentence in the first of two Miranda readings.

The officer testified in court she inadvertently left out the sentence about anything he said being used against him in court.

However, the judge's ruling on the motion clearly states any physical evidence gathered during the first interview will be allowed, despite the Miranda violation.

Apologies for anyone who found my post about cultural differences as victim blaming. I truly did not in any way mean it that way. I myself was accused of acting like a "come on" by my own abusive father. I was just saying that many young women have no realization of this. In no way blaming Mollie!!!

Judge: Key evidence can be used in Mollie Tibbetts' slaying

Dec 23, 2019

[..]

But Yates ruled that prosecutors can still use the information provided by Rivera that led them to the body of Tibbetts, who disappeared in July 2018 while out for a run in her small hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa. He also ruled that statements made by Rivera after the discovery of the body were admissible because he was read his rights at that point.

In addition, Yates also ruled that Rivera gave consent to search his vehicles, so prosecutors can use blood evidence discovered in the trunk of one car that allegedly contained Tibbetts' DNA.

[..]

Investigators showed up at the dairy farm where Rivera worked to interview him and other employees in August 2018. He was taken to the sheriff's office, where he was questioned for hours. Eventually, Rivera allegedly directed investigators to the cornfield where they found Tibbetts' body.

Yates ruled that Rivera voluntarily gave consent to search his vehicles and to go the sheriff's office for the interrogation. He denied Rivera's defense's argument that he had been coerced into giving permission for both, and that his confession was the product of a sleep-deprived interrogation.

Investigators later discovered blood in the trunk of one of the vehicles that they say testing later linked to Tibbetts' DNA. Since the search of the vehicle was voluntary, Yates said that evidence can be used.

[..]

However, Yates ruled that prosecutors can use the discovery of Tibbetts' body as evidence since Rivera's statements were voluntarily given.

Romero’s testimony has been partly things we have heard and somethings we haven’t. Her saying that he told her “I brought you here didn’t I? So I did it.” That is huge I think.
Also the part where she describes him with no remorse and pretty much unmoved by the whole community out looking for Mollie, says a lot too.
Yes. And he put her there..in a corn field...in the dark...and covered her...because he knew she was dead.
We all know why you cover something up during darkness. You are hiding whatever it is...because you know what you did was bad and you don't want people to see/find out.
Consciousness of guilt.

btw....anyone else pick up on his saying the Mollie's ear buds/headphones were in his lap?
If there were not wireless I think he may have used them around her neck or something like that to get her into his car.
I mean why mention them at all?

btw....anyone else pick up on his saying the Mollie's ear buds/headphones were in his lap?
If there were not wireless I think he may have used them around her neck or something like that to get her into his car.
I mean why mention them at all?

Anything CBR says, could be completely meaningless. After all, he was the only one who can tell the story. And he is trying to make himself a "victim".

The embellishments are epic. Mollie "slapped" him. I don't believe that for a second, unless she was trying to fight him off.
CBR says he "blacked out". Can't remember anything. Well, now, isn't that convenient.

Kudos to the officers who kept CBR entertained long enough to get a confession. That isn't easy. They had to talk to him, flatter him, keep him around, without actually arresting him, and giving him a "Miranda". Amazing and skillful cajoling. Fantastic work.

He stated that she smiled and waved at him.

I am an avid runner and a female. I didn't know Molly, but I know a lot of runners. I am not sure any of them would say they smile and wave at people they don't know (he stated he didn't know Molly so assuming she also then didn't know him).

Personal safety and being aware of my surroundings is a constant thought for me when I am out running or hiking alone. Something most men will never have to be concerned with or worry about is weather predators are lurking around watching while they run. When passing men jogging or on a trail or when men honk and yell out car windows it makes me nervous. If the same car passed by me 3 or more times I would definitely be on alert and I don't see myself waving or smiling or even looking directly at a vehicle that just circled back to come by again and again. I would never make eye contact or give any false impression that I was trying to "be friendly" or "engage with" anyone while I am out running alone. This isn't me trying to be rude, it's just the way life is because men will read more into these cues and I don't want to draw any more attention to the fact I am out running alone.

So maybe she did smile and wave, but my own thoughts on that are she did not especially not on the roads she was on at that time in the evening.

It certainly is sad that we have to be concerned about our safety while out enjoying some fresh air while we exercise. However; I don't read much into Mollie smiling and waving to passerby(s).

Although I have lived in large cities, I grew up in a small town "out in the country". City living differs greatly from rural living.

It is very common to wave as a car drives by. After all, in small communities, you feel like you know everyone. Country folk tend to be trusting, upfront and friendly (to everyone). Some may consider it rude if you didn't say "hello" with a quick wave, head nod, or smile.

I don't believe Mollie was trying to draw attention to herself when she waved at CBR. That friendly, bubbly girl we have all come to love was just doing what she did to every other car/person she passed by. Being neighborly. MOO

Friday, May 21st:
*Trial begins (Day 3) (@ 8:30am CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018, Brooklyn; found Aug. 21, 2018) – *Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24/now 26) arrested (8/21/18), charged (8/22/18) & arraigned (9/19/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $5M cash only bond.
ICE logged an immigration detainer on Rivera. Confessed to killing Mollie.
Trial began on 5/17/21 with jury selection & ended 5/18/21. Trial started on 5/19/21 (thru 5/28/21). Trial moved from Poweshiek County to Scott County in Davenport. 12 jurors & 3 alternates (8 women & 7 men); Jurors: Hispanic/Latino/Spanish-3, White-12, jurors ages range from 19 to 71.

Court hearings from 8/22/18 thru 5/13/21 & Jury selection (Day 1 & 2) 5/17 to 5/18/21 & Trial (Day 1) 5/19/21 reference post #928 here:
Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

5/20/21 Thursday, Day 2 of Trial: State witnesses: Deputy Steve Kivi from Poweshiek County. DA Klaver on direct.
See posts #937 & 939 for more info:
Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47
Cross by Chad Frese of Deputy Kivi. And re-direct by Klaver. And re-cross by Frese.
See posts #941, 943, 944 for more info:
Next witness: Logan Collins. The neighbor who investigators say had surveillance video showing CBR's Chevy Malibu. DA Klaver on direct & Chad Frese on cross.
See posts #950 & 951 for more info:
Next witness: Agent Derek Riessen with Iowa DCI. He works with the major crimes unit. Assigned to help with Mollie's disappearance. He was tasked with trying to gather surveillance footage to establish a timeline for Mollie. Prosecutor Scott Brown on direct. Showed video of Mollie jogging.
See posts #953 to 956 for more info:
Agent Derek Riessen continued. Showed video of black Malibu car.
See posts #961 & 962 for more info:
Cross by Chad Frese.
See posts #965 for more info:
Agent Michael Fischels with the Dept. of Homeland Security.
See posts #975, 977 & 978 for more info here:
Fischels continues testimony. Iowa DCI Special Agent Scott Green.
See posts #990, 992 & 994 for more info here:
Next: Former Iowa City Police officer Pamela Romero. Served as a Spanish translator for CBR.
See posts #995 & 999 for more info here:
Romero continued. (more of Green & Fischels testimony here:
See post #1001 for more info here:
More on Fischels testimony here:
See post #1002 for more info here:
More of Romero testimony here:
See posts #1005 & 1020 for more info here:
More on Romero testimony here:
See posts #1021, 1025, 1032 & 1034 for more info here:
Wrapping up for the day. Coming back at 8:30 tomorrow morning, 5/21/21. Not sure defense was done with Romero so that cross-examination may continue tomorrow.

Anything CBR says, could be completely meaningless. After all, he was the only one who can tell the story. And he is trying to make himself a "victim".

The embellishments are epic. Mollie "slapped" him. I don't believe that for a second, unless she was trying to fight him off.
CBR says he "blacked out". Can't remember anything. Well, now, isn't that convenient.

Kudos to the officers who kept CBR entertained long enough to get a confession. That isn't easy. They had to talk to him, flatter him, keep him around, without actually arresting him, and giving him a "Miranda". Amazing and skillful cajoling. Fantastic work.
The jury is going to hate his whole 'blacked out' routine. Jodi Arias tried that one and it didn't go over too well with the jurors or the judge.

And it seems like he is blaming Mollie, by saying she was going to call the police. Like inferring it was a racist overreaction or something. Like 'hey, she waved at me first, and when I went to say hi, she slapped me And threatened to call the police, and that scared me because I could go to jail for no reason, and be deported...'

That feels like the undercurrent of his confession, to me...

The jury is going to hate his whole 'blacked out' routine. Jodi Arias tried that one and it didn't go over too well with the jurors or the judge.

And it seems like he is blaming Mollie, by saying she was going to call the police. Like inferring it was a racist overreaction or something. Like 'hey, she waved at me first, and when I went to say hi, she slapped me And threatened to call the police, and that scared me because I could go to jail for no reason, and be deported...'

That feels like the undercurrent of his confession, to me...

Nailed it. Exactly. Turning Mollie into a "Karen" is gonna go over like a lead balloon in Iowa. Maybe his attorneys are from the East or West coast.

Although, so far, they seem to be leaning towards CBR didn't do it, with the extensive questions for Mollie's BF, and brother.

Their opening statement will be interesting. We really don't know where they are going yet for a defense. Or is the plan to just keep throwing stuff on the wall, to see what might stick?

Nailed it. Exactly. Turning Mollie into a "Karen" is gonna go over like a lead balloon in Iowa. Maybe his attorneys are from the East or West coast.

Although, so far, they seem to be leaning towards CBR didn't do it, with the extensive questions for Mollie's BF, and brother.

Their opening statement will be interesting. We really don't know where they are going yet for a defense. Or is the plan to just keep throwing stuff on the wall, to see what might stick?
They will use anything that sticks.

MAY 20, 2021
Key takeaways from Day 2 of trial for accused killer of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts - ABC News (go.com)
[...]

Kivi said that just two days before his encounter with Bahena Rivera, an undocumented immigrant from Mexico, other investigators on the case were combing through security video they had collected from homes and businesses in Brooklyn, Iowa, and came upon footage of Tibbetts jogging in the rural farming community. Investigators also noticed in the footage that a black Chevy Malibu with chrome side mirrors and chrome door handles kept appearing over and over again in the same area and around the same time Tibbetts was out exercising.

[...]

Agent Derek Riessen of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation testified he and other investigators were going through about 30-days worth of video taken from the home of Brooklyn resident Logan Collins, 27. Collins testified that he turned over to authorities in mid-August 2018 video taken from four security cameras he had mounted on his garage.

[...]

He said investigators determined the jogger seen in the video was Tibbetts, testifying that another witness had seen Tibbetts jogging not far from Collins' home just before she went missing.

[...]

Riessen said a black Mailbu was seen going past Collins home six different times and that the last time it was seen it was headed in the direction Tibbetts was running.

[...]

Acting on the information Kivi had gotten from Bahena Rivera, Special Agent Michael Fischels of the Department of Homeland Security said he and other investigators went to the dairy where Bahena Rivera worked on Aug. 20 and questioned him and other employees with the permission of the dairy owners.

[...]

Pamela Romero, a former Liberty City, Iowa, police officer, said she was asked to help interview Bahena Rivera because she speaks Spanish.

Romero said that during an 11-hour interview, Bahena Rivera confessed when he was confronted with a still image of his car captured on Collins' security camera.

[...]

She said the interview continued into the early morning hours of the next day, Aug. 21, and that Rivera went with her and other investigators to his home, his place of work and then directed them to a cornfield on the outskirts of Brooklyn.

Romero said that while sitting in a police vehicle parked near the cornfield, she read Bahena Rivera, who had been placed under arrest, his Miranda rights. He said he waived his right to remain silent and agreed to continue the interview.

[...]

Romero said Bahena Rivera allegedly claimed Tibbetts said she was going to call the police.

"Mr. Rivera said that he got angry," Romero said. "After he said that he got angry, he stated that they started fighting. He said that Mollie tried to slap him and was screaming at him."

Romero said that Bahena Rivera allegedly claimed that when he gets angry, he usually blacks out.

"So the next thing that he told me was he remembered driving and looking down to his legs and finding the earbuds that belonged to Mollie and that is when he remembered he had Mollie in the back of his vehicle, in the trunk," Romero said. "He stated that he did not remember putting her inside the car. He did not remember how she got there but he did remember how he took her out of the vehicle."

Romero said Bahena Rivera allegedly said he drove to the cornfield, opened the trunk and saw blood on Tibbetts' neck.

During his opening statement at the trial on Wednesday, prosecutor Bart Klaver told the jury that an autopsy determined Tibbetts was stabbed seven to 12 times in the neck, head and chest.

[...]

Romero testified that when she pressed Bahena Rivera for more details, he allegedly replied, "I brought you here, didn't I? So, that means that I did it. I don't remember how I did it."

Murder trial of Cristhian Bahena Rivera: Day 2

MAY 20, 2021
'I brought you to here, didn't I?': Officer recounts 11-hour interview with Bahena Rivera (kcci.com)
[...]

Bahena Rivera told Romero during their interview he used the Nissan Altima on gravel roads because it wasn’t up to date on registration, but used the Chevrolet Malibu to drive around town.

When initially in the interview room, Romero showed Bahena Rivera pictures of the vehicle from three security videos. Bahena Rivera told her it was his car and he was alone in the car at the time of the photos.

Romero showed the photograph of the security camera catching a jogger, but the gender of the jogger is unidentified. When showed the image, Bahena Rivera referred to the jogger as a female and recalled seeing her that day. He then told Romero he saw the jogger three times.

[...]

The investigators and Bahena Rivera then went to 2478 460th Ave. at about 4:30 a.m. Aug. 21. Authorities located Tibbetts’ body in the cornfield.

poster-image-26-1621547588.jpg
poster-image-27-1621547615.jpg

[...]

He told Romero he took Tibbetts to a cornfield at 2478 460th Ave. Bahena Rivera said he carried Tibbetts over his shoulder, and she felt like “a person who had just fainted.”

Romero testified that Bahena Rivera acknowledged injuries to Tibbetts’ neck, however defense attorneys said her injuries don’t reflect that. Romero told the defense that she couldn’t testify to Tibbetts’ injuries, only what Bahena Rivera told her.

[...]

Defense attorney Jennifer Frese said Bahena Rivera fell asleep multiple times during the interview and his breaks, however Romero said she did not witness it. Romero said by the end of the interview everyone was tired.

Jennifer Frese said Bahena Rivera’s family came to the sheriff’s office that evening. Romero said she didn’t know how long the interview would go for and said they could go home for the night. She then told Bahena Rivera that his family had visited.

[...]

The defense said as he was being interviewed, his vehicle was being processed. At a point during the interview, an investigator told Romero that a hair was found in the vehicle. She asked Bahena Rivera why there was hair in the vehicle and he claimed it was from his daughter.

Referring to the transcripts, Jennifer Frese mentions Bahena Rivera spoke about a date he was going to have on July 18, 2018, but it didn’t happen due to the tornado that hit Marshalltown. The date correlates with testimony given Wednesday by Bahena Rivera’s cousin.

Court adjourned for the day while Romero’s testimony had not yet concluded.

[...]

Poweshiek County Deputy Steve Kivi took the witness stand first Thursday to detail authorities’ search for Mollie Tibbetts.

[...]

During testimony, Kivi stated that FBI cell phone analysis helped authorities narrow down where Tibbetts may have disappeared.

“There was some kind of what (the FBI) called an ‘event’ at a certain point along 385th Ave., and all of the sudden (Tibbetts’) phone is traveling, like, 55 to 60 mph down south down a gravel road,” Kivi said. “And then it just shuts off.”

[...]

Poweshiek County resident Logan Collins gave witness testimony Thursday regarding security footage he provided to investigators during the search for Tibbetts.

Collins’ security footage showed the black Chevrolet Malibu affiliated with Bahena Rivera.

[...]

Special Agent Derek Riessen, with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, gathered surveillance footage around Brooklyn during the search for Tibbetts.

Riessen obtained the footage of the black Chevrolet Malibu from Collins. Attorneys played the footage during Riessen’s testimony, which also showed what investigators believed to be a runner.

The car affiliated with Bahena Rivera appeared on the surveillance multiple times.

[...]

Special Agent Mike Fischels with the Department of Homeland Security gained permission from the owners of Yarrabee Farms to speak with employees.

Fischels said he was proficient in Spanish and spoke with Bahena Rivera who provided permission to search his residence, a black Chevrolet Malibu and a Nissan Altima, another vehicle affiliated with Bahena Rivera.

[...]

Fischels testified that Bahena Rivera told authorities he hadn’t met Tibbetts, but mentioned “something about Facebook.”

Authorities also testified to taking a DNA sample on Aug. 20, 2018 from Bahena Rivera.

The defense questioned Scott Green with the Division of Criminal Investigation about their canvassing practices. Green said they had canvassed all of Brooklyn and Yarrabee Farms.

[...]

Green told the court agents found running shorts in the front seat of the Nissan Altima and a grey pipe in the back seat.

[...]

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Day three of the #BahenaRiveraTrial starting within minutes. Former officer Pamela Romero expected to take the stand again to continue testimony.
8:14 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Her testimony yesterday included Cristhian Bahena Rivera's alleged confessions to: following #MollieTibbetts, fighting w/her, 'blacking out', remembering her body in the trunk and leaving her in a cornfield near Brooklyn/Guernsey.
8:15 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Pamela Romero continues with cross-exam from Jennifer Frese.
8:42 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Frese asking what Romero did to prepare for testimony. She reviewed the transcripts of her interviews with CBR. Now talking about video recording of interview at the sheriff's office.
8:44 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Romero says she tried to compare the transcript with the video recording. Says it was difficult.
8:44 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Says the video is a "fair and accurate depiction of what was going on."
8:45 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Looks like defense may show a portion of this video. The whole interview was 11 hours.
8:46 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Defense wants to show this to prove CBR was sleeping.
8:46 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member