Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Much ado regarding “interview” vs “interrogation”. Ms. Freese claims the 11 hrs was an interrogation. Her tone waffles between a motherly protection of CB & a sarcastic intellectually superior one. Rivera holding her own under fire.

Chris Gothner KCCI on Twitter
"Why would you tell my client that he's not telling the truth?" "At the beginning the interview he said he wasn't aware of her -- then we showed him the black Malibu that he admitted was his."@KCCINews #BahenaRiveraTrial
9:42 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Romero testifying that she believed this was an "interview" with Bahena Rivera. Defense arguing this is a high pressure interrogation. "You questioned my client saying where's the body? Why would you tell me client he is not telling the truth?"@wqad #mollietibbetts
9:42 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
CBR only left interview one time in 11 hours - to use the bathroom.
9:45 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Some back and forth now on a certain exhibit, part of video. Asst. atty general Scott Brown says he wasn't aware there were seven parts to this one exhibit.
9:47 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
We're going to recess for 10 min. Will use this time for state/defense to go over this exhibit.
9:48 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Mollie brought me to WS. She was the same age as my daughter when she went missing, about to start her sophomore year, as was my DD. Having grown up in rural IA, I could not imagine the unthinkable happening there.

I find it poignant in a way that this trial is taking place in May 2021- the month & year Mollie would have graduated with her BS in Psych, applying for jobs in her new career field, ready & excited to help the world. Instead of a diploma this May, she will get justice, and that makes me so mad and so sad.

ETA: Off today, so glued to Court TV
Dates and times of spring 2021 virtual commencement ceremonies announced

This is really pathetic. Next the defense will be arguing about the punctuation in the transcript. Anything to keep from getting to 4:30am when their client led LE to her body.
Their line of defense is so insulting and really offensive to Mollie I believe. They are arguing their client’s comfort while Mollie’s covered up with corn stalks in a field.

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Day three of the #BahenaRiveraTrial starting within minutes. Former officer Pamela Romero expected to take the stand again to continue testimony.
8:14 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Her testimony yesterday included Cristhian Bahena Rivera's alleged confessions to: following #MollieTibbetts, fighting w/her, 'blacking out', remembering her body in the trunk and leaving her in a cornfield near Brooklyn/Guernsey.
8:15 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Pamela Romero continues with cross-exam from Jennifer Frese.
8:42 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Frese asking what Romero did to prepare for testimony. She reviewed the transcripts of her interviews with CBR. Now talking about video recording of interview at the sheriff's office.
8:44 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Romero says she tried to compare the transcript with the video recording. Says it was difficult.
8:44 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Says the video is a "fair and accurate depiction of what was going on."
8:45 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Looks like defense may show a portion of this video. The whole interview was 11 hours.
8:46 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Defense wants to show this to prove CBR was sleeping.
8:46 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App
To show he was sleep deprived, and his confession of where the body was, was coerced. This to have it thrown out!

This is really pathetic. Next the defense will be arguing about the punctuation in the transcript. Anything to keep from getting to 4:30am when their client led LE to her body.
Their line of defense is so insulting and really offensive to Mollie I believe. They are arguing their client’s comfort while Mollie’s covered up with corn stalks in a field.
The defense is going to argue that CR gave a false confession. Coerced...sleep deprived, etc. IMO :mad:

@Al Hoffman, Jinx!

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
We're back.
10:04 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Playing more video at 3X speed.
10:05 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Fink and Romero walk out. CBR rubs his eyes/face, then leans onto table with his head in his arms like he's sleeping.
10:07 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Sgt. Fink and a DCI agent enter he room in the video. This is the only time CBR lifts his head and sits up in this portion shown.
10:11 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

The defense is going to argue that CR gave a false confession. Coerced...sleep deprived, etc. IMO :mad:

@Al Hoffman, Jinx!

I’m sure that’s right and it angers me too. Smoke and mirrors. I still want to hear them explain how he led them to her body, but I imagine they never will even address it.
The defense attorneys’ idea of justice is to try and get a murderer off scot free. No thoughts of Mollie and her family.

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
At about 11:30pm during that interview, Bahena Rivera is placed in custody on an immigration hold. His phone is taken away from him, and he was no longer free to leave at any time.@wqad #MollieTibbetts
10:12 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
CBR told Romero "an agent from immigration was coming" and that he was under arrest after this.
10:12 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese asks if CBR says Romero never told him his family was outside would that be correct. Romero says she told him they were there and the interview was recorded.
10:13 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Romero says he believed he was there for something to do with immigration, and she told him she wasn't with immigration several times.
10:14 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"Do you understand the position that sometimes people will say things that they didn't really do?" Frese asking about false confession.
10:15 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese says the sandwich was the only food CBR got during that 11 hours, that he fell asleep several times, and that he only had one break to leave the room.
10:16 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Kristin Rogers on Twitter
Romero confirms that around 11:30 p.m. the night of the interview with Bahena Rivera, he was taken into custody by ICE agents. At that point he was not free to go, but prior to that, he could have left the interview at any time.@KCRG
#BahenaRiveraTrial
10:16 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Now discussing whether CBR ever indicated he sexually assaulted Tibbetts. Romero says no.
10:18 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese asking how long Romero has done an interview over an hour. 4 times. Over two hours? Approximately 4 times. Over three hours? Approximately 4 times. Says these were all with suspects.
10:21 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Frese has been grilling Romero on her lack of knowledge of the concept of a false confession -- as well as her experience interviewing suspects. Romero says she's never conducted an interview that lasted more than 11 hours.@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial
10:21 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Romero says she rarely conducts interviews that last more than an hour. Only 4 times has an interview ever lasted longer than 3 hours in her experience. This interview lasted 11 hours. @wqad #mollietibbetts
10:23 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"The blackout that was suggested here, that was your suggestion, that he may have some sort of condition?" Romero: That is not correct.
10:23 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Frese asking whether CBR ever said he knew, saw, or was angry with #MollieTibbetts before the evening of July 18. Romero says no, he told her he only saw her that day three times as she was jogging and that he got angry when she was going to call the police.
10:26 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Going to take another break so prosecution can go over some questions.
10:27 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Discussion going on with judge... prosecution said that defense opened the door about the interrogation/interview and prosecution wants to put her back on the stand questioning her more about things they weren’t allowed prior.

Judge said he will give his decision before jury brought in... after break

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
OK so jury is breaking so prosecution can ask about something to do with a previous suppression hearing.
10:29 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

On the record outside the presence of the jury. Talking about statements suppressed after the Miranda violation. Scott Brown: "The defense spent considerable amount of time cross-examining Pamela Romero over sleep deprivation."@KCCINews #BahenaRiveraTrial
10:31 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Scott Brown says defense has now "pushed back in statements" that weren't to be admitted and now the State wants to ask about other statements that were to be left out as impeachment/rebuttal of sleep deprivation/false confession.
10:32 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Brown now asking Judge Joel Yates to allow that evidence back in because of that lengthy cross-examination. "We believe the defense has made that relevant to impeach that notion that he was sleep-deprived."@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial
10:32 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

J. Frese: "It's premature." "There may be a point where the court says, hey, you've opened the door, it's allowed for impeachment" But Frese says must be able to present this information in order to be able to mount a defense.
@KCCINew #BahenaRiveraTrial
10:33 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Frese says she was very careful to make sure that she limited the questioning.
@KCCINews #BahenaRiveraTrial
10:34 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

"We are not offering any evidence in this case, what the court has heard is merely cross-examination."@KCCINews #BahenaRiveraTrial
10:36 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Breaking now. Judge Yates will come back with his decision.
10:36 AM · May 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

I think defense has well established that Romero was an inexperienced interviewer who may have in fact been leading an interrogation prior to designating CB a suspect & prior to arrest. She conducted 20+ interviews & only 4 were over 4 hrs in duration, per her testimony.

As a juror, I wouldn’t care. No agent roughed him up, beat him up, threatened to turn him or his daughter or his fam over to ICE. He was not under extreme duress. And he lead LE to the body. Imo

I’m sure that’s right and it angers me too. Smoke and mirrors. I still want to hear them explain how he led them to her body, but I imagine they never will even address it.
The defense attorneys’ idea of justice is to try and get a murderer off scot free. No thoughts of Mollie and her family.
That is their job. This is not Perry Mason. Sorry...

I applaud the prosecutor for bringing up the suppression. It was already ruled and the state agreed that the court should suppress any statements Bahena made between 11:30 the night of August 20th and early August 21st because of CBR deficient Mirandize by Romero but the defense wants to bang over and over that CBR was sleep deprived!

Sleep deprived after 11:30 pm -- you can't have it both ways!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo