Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmph. CBR has his right to a defense. His attorneys are attempting to sow doubt and hint at alternative theories involving early infidelities, jealousies, and relationship issues between Mollie and DJ. I don’t personally respect this line of enquiry and hopefully the jurors won’t either.

I am certain the defense attorneys suggested this approach. But we also can be certain the accused said ‘go ahead. Set up the boyfriend, the suspicious guy who walked by the house, anybody but me.’ In the end, this is CBR’s defense. He is the one on trial, pleading not guilty, and allowing this line of questioning. I do not blame the defense attorneys for doing the best they can with what they have. It is on CBR.
MOO

I was surprised to hear that the black Malibu that CBR was driving was purchashed by his cousin. IMHO, I had always thought that it was in MSM that it was owned by the farm where he worked. IIRC, it was at least talked about here.

She was stabbed to death...not shot. Such a lame defense. They basically have nothing.
I mean they might as well call up everyone who has a steak knife and has ever eaten corn..in Iowa.
So ridiculous, but do what you can defense... so the conviction sticks, thank you.

Just curious: Did anyone else notice CBR’s facial response and apparent angry reaction toward the end of DJ’s cross examination? He has the translation and headphones possibly delaying his information so I don’t know if any watchers could ever know what he was responding to, outside of his defense table.

Thursday, May 20th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 8:30am CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018, Brooklyn; found Aug. 21, 2018) – *Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24/now 26) arrested (8/21/18), charged (8/22/18) & arraigned (9/19/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $5M cash only bond.
ICE logged an immigration detainer on Rivera. Confessed to killing Mollie.
Trial began on 5/17/21 with jury selection & ended 5/18/21. Trial started on 5/19/21 (thru 5/28/21). Trial moved from Poweshiek County to Scott County in Davenport. 12 jurors & 3 alternates (8 women & 7 men); Jurors: Hispanic/Latino/Spanish-3, White-12, jurors ages range from 19 to 71.

Court hearings from 8/22/18 thru 5/13/21 & Jury selection (Day 1 & 2) 5/17 to 5/18/21 reference post #789 here:
Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

5/19/21 Wednesday, Day 1 of Trial: Judge gives the jury instructions. Prosecutor Klaver gives opening statements. See posts #797, 798 & 800 for more info here:
Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47
Transcript of Prosecutor’s opening statements – see post #834:
Defense defers opening statements.
State witnesses: Asst. AG Scott Brown does questioning. Blake Jack, brother of Mollie's boyfriend, Dalton Jack. Jennifer Frese questioned Jack on cross.
See posts #802 to 806 for more info here:
Next: Dalton Jack, Mollie's boyfriend. Chad Frese cross-examines Dalton.
See posts #807, 809 to 811, 816, 818, 819 & 820 for more info here:
Dalton Jack continued. Re direct by Asst. AG Scott Brown. And re-cross by Frese.
See posts #829, 831, 832, 837, 838 & 840 for more info here:
Next: Patrol Deputy Matthew Simpson of Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office.
See posts #842 & 843 for more info here:
Next witness is Jillena Scheck. She worked at the daycare with Mollie Tibbetts. No questions from defense.
See post #866 for more info here:
Next: Christina Steward (or Stewart). Owns Shear Expression Salon in Brooklyn. Mollie's family would occasionally come in as a customer. Cross by Jennifer Frese.
See post #869, 870, 873, 874, 876 & 877 for more info here:
Break is called because a juror fell ill (female), felt woozy. EMS called.
Next witness: Arely Nunez-Lorenzana. Cousin of the defendant. She's employed at a meatpacking company. Her mother is CBR's aunt. She's testifying under a state subpoena. Cross by Jennifer Frese & re-direct.
See post #888, 890, 892 & 896 for more info here:
Trial continues at 8:30 tomorrow morning, 5/20/21.

@girlhasnoname - The public is not allowed to attend. While I really want to be there and I’ve waited a long time for it, I’m sure I’m not a very good court reporter. The news crews live streaming it will give you much better updates.
Sorry the public can't attend, you did a great job with videos and information from the very start of this case.

Good morning. Sidebar in progress now, so will introduce myself. Just joining in on this case. I am 150 miles from Brooklyn IA, have one sister in Cedar Rapids and another in Davenport, so my neck of the woods.

Remember hearing about this when it occurred. Justice for Mollie.

Good morning. Sidebar in progress now, so will introduce myself. Just joining in on this case. I am 150 miles from Brooklyn IA, have one sister in Cedar Rapids and another in Davenport, so my neck of the woods.

Welcome to this case. Greetings from Ont. Canada

Welcome @Forever Young. We are honored you have joined us!

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Deputy Steve Kivi from Poweshiek County is the first witness of the day. #MollieTibbetts @wqad

[URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD/status/1395376602335350784']8:51 AM · May 20, 2021
·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Deputy Kivi says the search for #MollieTibbetts was guided by some of her cell phone data. Involved doing door to door to farmhouses in that rural area in the SE part of Poweshiek County.@wqad
8:55 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Deputy Kivi is testifying about surveillance video from a house that showed a black Chevy Malibu passing through, circling around, lingering. Investigators believed the car would most likely have been in the same area when #MollieTibbetts was jogging through. @wqad
8:58 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Deputy Kivi says the detail about the car came through on August 15th (Mollie last seen July 18th). He then spotted that "vehicle of interest" the black Chevy malibu and followed it. #MollieTibbetts [URL='https://twitter.com/wqad']@wqad[/URL]
9:00 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App
[/URL]

Just curious: Did anyone else notice CBR’s facial response and apparent angry reaction toward the end of DJ’s cross examination? He has the translation and headphones possibly delaying his information so I don’t know if any watchers could ever know what he was responding to, outside of his defense table.
Maybe it was when DJ said he believed he was guilty or didn't want to be in the same room with him.

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Mollie's cellphone information led them to focus efforts in the southeastern part of the county. FBI analyst found that was the last location of her phone.
8:54 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Deputy Kivi says they got security video from several homes. "The one that was most useful to us came from 616 West Des Moines Street." That's the home of Logan Collins.
8:56 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
That video showed the black Chevy Malibu. "That particular vehicle would have had to have been in the area when Mollie Tibbetts was jogging. He would have had to have seen her."
8:56 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Atty Bart Klaver asks for clarification. Home is on East Des Moines St.
8:57 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
August 15th is when the vehicle was identified as of interest to police from that video.
8:58 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Deputy Kivi saw the black Malibu when he was driving on Highway 63. "I caught the license plate [...] I ran it through...learned it was registered to a female from Tama."
9:00 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
He followed and talked to the driver after he got out. Says it was clear the driver didn't speak English but a neighbor came to help translate.
9:01 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Says CBR identified himself through a birth certificate.
9:01 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
CBR said he'd been working at Yarrabee Farms for 4 years. Said he visited Brooklyn sometimes to visit friends. Gave his usual route into town.
9:02 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Deputy Kivi says a man who couldn't speak English was driving the car. A bystander helped them communicate. The driver showed a birth certificate as ID. It was Cristhian Bahena Rivera. Worked at Yarrabee Farms and lived on a property owned by the farm.@wqad #MollieTibbetts
9:03 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"I take the gravel to the pavement. Later when we realized he lived at a different location on 200th it made more sense he would take 200th to 385th."
9:03 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"385th is the last street Mollie Tibbetts was seen on?" "Yes."
9:04 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Deputy Kivi took these pictures of Bahena Rivera and the car he was driving Aug. 16th, 2018. #MollieTibbetts @wqad

[URL='https://twitter.com/DeniseWQAD/status/1395380785805471750']9:07 AM · May 20, 2021
·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Deputy Kivi says he asked Bahena Rivera if he knew about the missing #MollieTibbetts. He said he had heard of her but didn't have any useful information. Describes him as calm and polite. Kivi let him go after that encounter. @wqad
9:11 AM · May 20, 2021·Twitter Web App
[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads