GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant will he have the option to change his mind about that ridiculous story and just not testify and then the State won't be able to mention it? But it sounds like you're saying no, he would not have that option.....is that right (said in my most long and drawn-out Jennifer Frese voice)?
He can elect to not testify at a potential retrail. But the State can introduce the transcripts from this trial into evidence. In my opinion, a mistrial/retrial does NOT help CBR at all. It buys him some time, that is all. Plus, who is really paying his attorneys? That is a LOT of money.

Tonight I was reading some SM posts about this trial. Amazed how many people believe the Ninja story. Really????
REALLY ???
Heaven help us

SIDE NOTE-- I have to run into town to pick up new glasses so JURY will most likely come back with verdict while I am gone and unable to hear/view/even know about !! UGH

Anywhoo--- I will be back later -- I have been watching/checking all morning so as soon as I leave, there will be news LMAO

oh-- AND HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you scroll down to his photos before the arrest....he’s not that doe-eyed innocent shy guy IMO. This guy and his story. Using his own daughter.Reminds of those guilty perps that swear on the lives of their children.
Cristhian Bahena Rivera Photos | Heavy.com
Looking at his hair he tends to wear it with a lot of height. I’d say he suffers from little man syndrome.

He can elect to not testify at a potential retrail. But the State can introduce the transcripts from this trial into evidence. In my opinion, a mistrial/retrial does NOT help CBR at all. It buys him some time, that is all. Plus, who is really paying his attorneys? That is a LOT of money.
Thank you. I appreciate the info from an attorney. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for those that might know more about this..

I am reviewing article from the early days and see several mentions for the defense to request funds to pay for things like a private investigator and expert witnesses. If CBR's family is paying for the lawyers, wouldn't they also be paying for those things as well?

I am looking for an article I read that said the lawyers were known to the family through church. I swear I read that.. makes me wonder if they are donating their services for the publicity? If they are requesting public funds to pay $5000 and $3000 something for these exerts and a PI, then how much are they even getting paid?

Yes, if there were to be a retrial, he would not have to testify again, a defendant is never under an obligation to testify.

Right, but that's not what I'm asking. Could his testimony in this trial be suppressed/not allowed in for future trials if there is a mistrial/retrial? Could the judge say "the ninja story he concocted at his last trial cannot be brought up at this trial?"

Interesting that the prosecution added the 2nd degree charge. When was this added? I thought it was murder 1, and nothing else...
I don't understand it either. There was a tweet posted that they can also find him guilty of manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter. But the charges were never explained in court.

Right, but that's not what I'm asking. Could his testimony in this trial be suppressed/not allowed in for future trials if there is a mistrial/retrial? Could the judge say "the ninja story he concocted at his last trial cannot be brought up at this trial?"

Any sworn testimony by the defendant is admissible in future trials. He may refute the testimony, as a "blackout". But it remains in the record.

It really bothered me when Mr defense said he and Mrs defense had 5 children. Like they “feel” the Tibbetts pain. Really? I know a perp is entitled to a defense....but that Mr defense closing floating out the ninja jack story all the time having sincere sympathy for the Tibbetts?
Seriously, GMAB!

JMO

Bringing this forward from the media post. I didn't remember this! I feel like the talk about Ulises Felix was talked about as living there BEFORE Mollie was killed. This refreshes my memory that this amazing women opened her home AFTER she was killed. His parents fled after CBR was arrested because of the attention in the town.

They are not related like they made it sound. CBR dated Felix's cousin. How does that make them related? Just because CBR has a daughter with this man's cousin does not make them related. It sounded like this (17 year old kid btw) guy would somehow have a reason to murder Mollie. The way they talked about him.. seriously, do you really think someone that killed Mollie would want to move into her house AFTER he killed her? That is absurd! What amazing people Mollie had in her life. Her parents did everything they could to squash the illegal immigrant narrative that was being pushed. They are incredible.

DEC 28, 2018
Mollie Tibbetts' mom has taken in illegal immigrant teen | Daily Mail Online
  • Laura Calderwood, 55, opened her home to Ulises Felix, 17, an undocumented immigrant who used to live and work with Mollie Tibbetts' alleged killer
  • Felix had nowhere to go after her parents fled to Illinois following the arrest of Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, for Tibbetts' stabbing death in August
  • Mollie's younger brother goes to the same school as Felix and is friends with him
  • Felix is also a distant relative of Rivera's: the teen's female cousin is the mother of Rivera's young daughter
  • Tibbetts, 20, went missing while out for a jog in July; her body was found in a cornfield a month later
  • Right-wing politicians, led by Donald Trump, have been using Tibbett's name to advance an anti-immigration agenda
View attachment 161969 View attachment 161967 View attachment 161968 View attachment 161970
Following Rivera's arrest on murder charges in August, Felix's parents fled to Illinois to escape the outpouring of anti-immigrant vitriol, leaving their teenage son behind so he could finish high school.

Mollie's younger brother, Scott, who attended the same school as Felix and was friends with the teen, immediately said he could stay in his mother's spare bedroom.

After briefly grappling with the decision, Calderwood, 55, concluded that her late daughter, who in life was welcoming to all and supportive of the rights of immigrants, would have wanted her to help Felix.

Thank you. I appreciate the info from an attorney. <modsnip>
I can only assume it is coming from some sort of advocacy group. It was stated that his family had hired these attorneys but I don't believe that. His family was relying on CBR's couple of hundred dollars a month he sent back to survive. How could they afford a couple hundred thousand for this defense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lesser includeds were added when they were doing jury instructions. Input was from prosecution and defense. Not an unusual thing.

I think that it is interesting. I wonder if the prosecution wanted lesser charges included to hedge their bets...because I was not sure that there was enough evidence presented for Murder one.

(Don't hate on me) sorry.

It really bothered me when Mr defense said he and Mrs defense had 5 children. Like they “feel” the Tibbetts pain. Really? I know a perp is entitled to a defense....but that Mr defense closing floating out the ninja jack story all the time having sincere sympathy for the Tibbetts?
Seriously, GMAB!

JMO

Standard rhetoric. They don’t want the jury deciding on the emotion if the tragedy. Agreed, lame presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper