GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for those that might know more about this..

I am reviewing article from the early days and see several mentions for the defense to request funds to pay for things like a private investigator and expert witnesses. If CBR's family is paying for the lawyers, wouldn't they also be paying for those things as well?

I am looking for an article I read that said the lawyers were known to the family through church. I swear I read that.. makes me wonder if they are donating their services for the publicity? If they are requesting public funds to pay $5000 and $3000 something for these exerts and a PI, then how much are they even getting paid?
I recall the argument by CBR's defense when they applied for funds for costs advanced was that not providing CBR an investigator, experts, etc. would deprive him of a fair trial and defense. These are services typically provided to all defendants represented by public defenders, and I don't see how the Government could have refused this request.

I've never read that Chad & Jennifer Frese were known to the family through church. We know that CBR had another private attorney before them so I was not surprised when another private team came forward. MOO

Interesting that the prosecution added the 2nd degree charge. When was this added? I thought it was murder 1, and nothing else...
Iowa provides for the jury instructions to include a lesser conviction -- not lesser charges. The State charged CBR only with 1st-degree Murder.

Last edited:
I don't understand it either. There was a tweet posted that they can also find him guilty of manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter. But the charges were never explained in court.
I would have to re-listen to the instructions to find that but I can tell you that in Instruction #22 (about 12:38 in the video below), the judge details the elements to find CBR guilty of murder in the 2nd degree. So, maybe manslaughter is after that somewhere... MOO

ETA: Finally had a moment to listen further and the voluntary manslaughter instruction is #24, involuntary manslaughter is instruction #26.

Mollie Tibbetts Murder Trial Day 7 - Judge Joel Yates Reads The Jury Instructions

Last edited:
Anyone think “maybe” a verdict right after their lunch today?

No questions so far (that we are aware of)
I hope so. -- Listened to Vinnie of Court TV last night and his theory for a 7-day trial calculated to a verdict today after lunch. He said he won't be concerned unless no verdict by afternoon.

Not saying it will be hung, but IF there is a hung jury, how long do they have to deliberate before they basically can say “We can’t all agree.” Can that happen at any time or would the judge want them to keep deliberating for a certain amount of time?

Not saying it will be hung, but IF there is a hung jury, how long do they have to deliberate before they basically can say “We can’t all agree.” Can that happen at any time or would the judge want them to keep deliberating for a certain amount of time?
I think the judge would encourage them to keep deliberating for a certain amount of time.

The judge would always try to talk them into deliberating longer, in the hopes of reaching a verdict. There’s no set time required.

I imagine the judge is going to make the deliberate a long time before declaring a mis-trial. He will bring the jurors back into the court and remind them of their duties and send them back for a few days. Trials like this are very expensive for small communities and the judge isn't going to just let jurors walk away.

Looking at his hair he tends to wear it with a lot of height. I’d say he suffers from little man syndrome.
His height and stature have always bothered me. You know how sometimes you wish you could will into being your thoughts? There is this part of me that wishes with everything I have I could go back and tell her not to go for that run or somehow change the outcome which leads me to this: he is such a pipsqueak (I remember the first time I saw him at the SO after his arrest, it stuck with me how tiny he was) and she was young, had a physically fit solid body, was athletic, etc. It doesn't make sense she wouldn't have been able to overpower him unless it was a surprise attack. I think the wound that penetrated her skull was the first, a disabling attack from behind that he was somehow able to pull off. That's why there was only so much blood in the trunk, it was the only wound at the time. It's also why he saw her twitch when he opened it, she was still alive. The rest all happened in the cornfield.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members