GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know, did this other girl report the incident immediately after it occurred, prior to the arrest or only after he was arrested? In the cob-webby recesses of my mind I’m thinking it wasn’t until after the arrest. Because the timing would make a difference as well. Also IIRC he wasn’t proven guilty of that incident as far as the Court is concerned, so introducing it on say-so basis has the potential of resulting in a mistrial. It seems the prosecution was very careful so no future appeals will be successful. JMO

AUGUST 22, 2018
Illegal immigrant charged with killing Mollie Tibbetts tailed ANOTHER girl in his car | Daily Mail Online
  • Accused killer Cristhian Rivera pulled alongside another girl in his car as she walked through Brooklyn, Iowa, before being accused of Mollie Tibbetts murder
  • The 17-year-old girl's older sibling Bailey Gibson, 18, told DailyMail.com her sister was 'creeped' out by Rivera's advances as he told her she was pretty
  • 'It was more flirty than sexual. She didn’t appreciate it. Even though she knew him a little she felt unsafe and didn't want to talk to him,' Gibson said
  • 'In the end she was really creeped-out by his behavior. She had to keep telling him she wasn't interested,' Gibson added
'It all clicked when we heard the news. It's so scary to think he did something similar with my sister,' added Bailey, who asked that her sibling not be named.

I think the incident was told to media by the older sister. Her younger sister knew CBR and she thought he was flirty and it creeped her out -- she was only 17. I don't think this incident is deemed a prior bad act.

He could've plead guilty.

He could've had a public defender at no expense to him.

Instead someone(s) put up money on his behalf for his defense team.

For an all but certain outcome.

If family foot his bill, I'd say he doesn't have much a conscience at all, to drain resources like that.

Failed as a son.
Failed as a father.
Failed as a human being.

What a waste.

JMO

Best post.
Soooo true.
Thank you for this.

He could've plead guilty.

He could've had a public defender at no expense to him.

Instead someone(s) put up money on his behalf for his defense team.

For an all but certain outcome.

If family foot his bill, I'd say he doesn't have much a conscience at all, to drain resources like that.

Failed as a son.
Failed as a father.
Failed as a human being.

What a waste.

JMO
If Mr and Mrs keep representing him..which I thought someone mentioned they would be appealing...then someone is still paying for him.

I agree on the no conscience...anyone who does what he did to Mollie and then leaves her body to rot like that has no conscience at all.

He's a waste.

I'll try to "Mollie" my text messages and myself in general. I'm sure I'll fall short, but I will try.
See you all at sentencing time.

Last edited:
I am sad for Mollie, her family and friends. But glad that the criminal is off the streets. Iowa is a bit safer now. Young girls can still go running, but be aware that danger is everywhere. Unfortunately.

Danger is indeed everywhere-- and no race/creed exempt from committing evil.
I think it's the Univ of WI that has a recognized, long-term study on inmates like CBR that go from quiet to slaughter-- which typically manifests in their early 20's. I have little doubt that CBR fits this profile.

CBR probably began abusing animals early and had been using various means to suppress his growing desire to act out that which was occupying his mind 24/7 in the months before striking Mollie.

I also wish the prosecutor had obtained CBR's internet use in the year prior to murdering Mollie. I think it would reveal he was very dedicated to viewing *advertiser censored* and violence. Seems he was also known to use to message random women during late-night hours.

I recall Mollie's mother talking to Dr. Oz (raising money for children's hospital) where she expressed a similar belief that CBR's psychopathy existed long before he attacked Mollie and the irony that Mollie hoped to work with similar children for early diagnosis and treatment with the hope she could prevent them from becoming the monsters we read about daily.

Mollie Tibbetts' legacy lives on two years later

Danger is indeed everywhere-- and no race/creed exempt from committing evil.
I think it's the Univ of WI that has a recognized, long-term study on inmates like CBR that go from quiet to slaughter-- which typically manifests in their early 20's. I have little doubt that CBR fits this profile.

If you have any more information on this study, I would be interested in finding and reading it?

Thank you!

Will we be seeing Mr. and Mrs. Frese withdrawing from representation?

Can they?

They sure looked like they want to.

JMO

Why would they?

That is what they do in the normal course of their day to day business activities, they represent people on various matters.

The US had approx 2.12 million prisoners in 2020, I would suggest they were represented at some point before their convictions. I doubt that those lawyers in all those cases thought about 'bad press'. It goes with the 'territory'.

The Defence team did a very good job under the circumstances. It was an uphill battle.

In some countries the case would have been thrown out, simply because of the interview, Miranda Rights etc.

The Appeal will be very interesting.

Juror in Bahena Rivera murder trial reacts to verdict, describes case as 'emotional' Jury foreman is speaking out (I'm somewhat surprised)
* On a side note and FWIW now, I couldn't post much during the trial. However, I was shocked as all get out that CBR took the stand. And there is no way IMO that he came up with the 2 masked men in sweaters intruders (in July no less) on his own. He was just told what to say. And yes there were some in Iowa that thought that story gave the jury enough reasonable doubt to find him not guilty. Others still think he really didn't do it and or at least had help.
Rest in peace sweet Mollie. At least some in Iowa still have common sense.

Juror in Bahena Rivera murder trial reacts to verdict, describes case as 'emotional' Jury foreman is speaking out (I'm somewhat surprised)
* On a side note and FWIW now, I couldn't post much during the trial. However, I was shocked as all get out that CBR took the stand. And there is no way IMO that he came up with the 2 masked men in sweaters intruders (in July no less) on his own. He was just told what to say. And yes there were some in Iowa that thought that story gave the jury enough reasonable doubt to find him not guilty. Others still think he really didn't do it and or at least had help.
Rest in peace sweet Mollie. At least some in Iowa still have common sense.
Yes, and this why I feel they did an inadequate job defending him.

I doubt an appeal will be granted, will it? It's not automatic like in a death penalty case, is it?

It isn’t automatic, but an appeal is standard in cases of LWOP. If the convicted is indigent, the state will usually shoulder the economic burden of one appeal. It is a common enough process. Whether that will be a *successful* appeal that changes anything about CBR’s sentence, or gains him a new trial? I am doubting it. I feel both the prosecution and defense did a good job. The judge was very lenient with the defense questioning and testimony.

I believe the defense attorney said they will have 30 days after sentencing to file the appeal. The prosecutor said (I paraphrase): there is always an appeal. We’ll be ready.

Last edited:
Why would they?

That is what they do in the normal course of their day to day business activities, they represent people on various matters.

The US had approx 2.12 million prisoners in 2020, I would suggest they were represented at some point before their convictions. I doubt that those lawyers in all those cases thought about 'bad press'. It goes with the 'territory'.

The Defence team did a very good job under the circumstances. It was an uphill battle.

In some countries the case would have been thrown out, simply because of the interview, Miranda Rights etc.

The Appeal will be very interesting.

I doubt there is any other country that protects the accused as much as the USA, if for no other reason than they are presumed innocent going into the trial. In a lot of countries, CBR would have been executed probably three months after he was arrested.

I doubt there is any other country that protects the accused as much as the USA, if for no other reason than they are presumed innocent going into the trial. In a lot of countries, CBR would have been executed probably three months after he was arrested.
Regarding the part I bolded; do you really think people who are charged with a crime are presumed innocent? Until recently, I always thought if the prosecutor had enough evidence to bring someone to trial, there was a good chance they were guilty. Especially if the prosecutor had a good record of convictions.

I doubt an appeal will be granted, will it? It's not automatic like in a death penalty case, is it?
According to Court TV segment post-verdict that's posted up-thread, 1st-degree murder conviction is an automatic appeal (i.e., although Iowa abolished their death penalty 30+ years ago-- 1st-degree murder is mandatory LWOP).

After the trial, the Frese confirmed their intent to appeal--also noting how they continued to try to get to the supreme court over Judge Yates evidence suppression ruling but they were denied. MOO

Last edited:
And yes there were some in Iowa that thought that story gave the jury enough reasonable doubt to find him not guilty. Others still think he really didn't do it and or at least had help.
(snipped and bolder by me)
For the record, of the hundreds of Iowans I know not a single one thinks he didn’t do it. Whether he had help or not is another question entirely, one I doubt we’ll ever know now.

(snipped and bolder by me)
For the record, of the hundreds of Iowans I know not a single one thinks he didn’t do it. Whether he had help or not is another question entirely, one I doubt we’ll ever know now.
Well thank goodness.
As far as help...both of his stories had him all alone basically because sweater wearing ninjas in July are preposterous.
He drove (his car), he followed, he circled, he took her out of his trunk, he put her in the corn, he had her phone, etc. He is the center of all of the evil.
Thank goodness for the home security video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member