IA - Tyler, Sarah, and Lula Schmidt Killed at Maquoketa Caves State Park Campsite, 2022 *killer dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
MAQUOKETA, Iowa -- The Maquoketa community was left reeling today after a shooting left four people dead at Maquoketa Caves State Park.
Authorities suspect that a man fatally shot three people before killing himself, saying a triple-homicide investigation was underway.

The names of the three victims have not been released yet, but they were all related, according to Assistant Director Mitch Mortvedt, of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

Authorities identified the suspected shooter as Anthony O. Sherwin, 23, of Nebraska.

62dadb8f566f3.image.jpg

More at UPDATE: Authorities: 3 family members, suspected shooter dead at Maquoketa Caves

“The campground is evacuated, including Camp Shalom, where children and their counselors were holding camp this week. It’s a camp designed to inspire people to live peacefully.

The victims of the triple homicide have been identified as a family from Cedar Falls. They are 42-year-old Tyler Schmidt, 42-year-old Sarah Schmidt, and 6-year-old Lulu Schmidt.”

“Mike Krapfl, a special agent with the department’s Division of Criminal Investigation, said that Mr. Sherwin was not staying with the victims. Mitch Mortvedt, an assistant director with the division, said that investigators did not believe that there was a relationship between the victims and Mr. Sherwin.”

”Officials initially said 23-year-old Anthony Orlando Sherwin, of Nebraska, appeared to be missing from the camp, but they later found him dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound just west of the park grounds.”

Still unclear if he has any connection to the victims.

OMG, there is also a 9-year old som who survived the attack. How devastating.

“The victims are a 42-year-old Tyler and Sarah Schmidt and their child six-year-old Lulu Schmidt. In a Facebook post on Friday evening, Cedar Falls Mayor Rob Green said the couples 9-year-old son Arlo survived the attack and is safe.”

Sarah Schmidt and her family were well-known in her community:

“On Facebook, Green said he is "devastated" and knew Sarah well since she worked at the Cedar Falls Public Library.

"She & her family were regular walkers here in the Sartori Park neighborhood," Green wrote. "I was working with her this week on a public library tech presentation for Tuesday (7/26)."

Also, per the tweet shown in the article, and this article (One child, two adults identified as homicide victims at Maquoketa Caves State Park) the youngest victim’s name may be Lula rather than Lulu. Have alerted a mod to update title of thread.

Last edited:
“Mike Krapfl, a special agent with the department’s Division of Criminal Investigation, said that Mr. Sherwin was not staying with the victims. Mitch Mortvedt, an assistant director with the division, said that investigators did not believe that there was a relationship between the victims and Mr. Sherwin.”

He killed an innocent family that he didn't even know, then shot himself? :confused::eek::mad:

The gunman was found about a thousand yards away from the victims:
"State investigators say the gunman, 23-year-old [name], was found dead in the woods.

"About a thousand yards or so. But it's pretty rough terrain in there once you get out and away from the actual campsite. And there's trails in there, but then if you go off trail, of course, it's pretty rough terrain,” Mitch Mortvedt, a investigator with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, said."

This story just keeps getting worse all the time. He saw his family murdered.

Maquoketa Caves State Park camper heard a scream and a loud noise near site of triple homicide
Dave and Judy Koon, who live about 5 miles southeast of the park and are members of the nonprofit support group Friends of the Maquoketa Caves State Park, weren’t so sure if normal would return to the park anytime soon.

“We just didn’t think about anything happening up there,” Judy Koon said Saturday.

“It’s always so peaceful and quiet,” David Koon said.

“I hope we get that back,” Judy Koon said. “You stop and think, ‘This is a small community. Nobody is going to do that.’ Then it dawns on you: The caves themselves are their own community. And people come from all over. You just don’t know.”

The Koons, who work at the park’s visitor center a couple of days a week, said guests visit from across the country. Social media posts showing the rare Iowa caves have drawn some of the visitors.

“Investigators say [the shooter’s] parents were also staying at the campsite. They are unharmed.”
I find this astonishing. I can't imagine someone doing something so heinous to strangers within shouting distance of mom. Maybe this was the point. Maybe there was something like "revenge of mom" or "dad said I wouldn't never do such a thing, so I did. It was a dare".

There must have been something about this family that got the shooter's attention. All very strange. In the 100's of nights spent in public campgrounds, I've never seen any kind of violence. I've occasionally seen rowdy behavior, but most people are respectful of the curfew, and you want to try to pick a campsite away from folks who look like they might sling beer into the night.

I find this astonishing. I can't imagine someone doing something so heinous to strangers within shouting distance of mom. Maybe this was the point. Maybe there was something like "revenge of mom" or "dad said I wouldn't never do such a thing, so I did. It was a dare".

There must have been something about this family that got the shooter's attention. All very strange. In the 100's of nights spent in public campgrounds, I've never seen any kind of violence. I've occasionally seen rowdy behavior, but most people are respectful of the curfew, and you want to try to pick a campsite away from folks who look like they might sling beer into the night.

I've seen a couple of altercations over things like whether somebody is playing music too loud, but nothing more than shouting and shoving. But it doesn't sound like there was any shouting or anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunnid
Back