IA - Tyler, Sarah, and Lula Schmidt Killed at Maquoketa Caves State Park Campsite, 2022 *killer dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks so much for the summary!

The gun! The parents' denials! The computer! AS's "business".

I wonder if LE is having to trace AS on the dark web?
Ghost guns, encrypted phones, his business... Maybe he was an international drug kingpin who shot the family for their computer so he could pay off his cartel creditors in time... Or maybe he was just a tech-savvy manchild whose parents indulged his every whim because he wowed them with what they saw as 'genius'.

I just saw that their online fundraiser is up to $267,000, and that included $5,000 from the Red Wing Shoe Company. I wonder if either parent ever worked for them. I may buy something from them, and give it to the needy, to say thanks.

I just saw that their online fundraiser is up to $267,000, and that included $5,000 from the Red Wing Shoe Company. I wonder if either parent ever worked for them. I may buy something from them, and give it to the needy, to say thanks.
Took me a sec to realize you meant the online fundraiser for the victims--at first, I had the terrible thought that it was for the shooter's parents!

Any sign of an "online" trail for AOS? Any programmer, gamer, etc findings??
Not a sign in sight, as far as my online sleuthing goes. If he was interested in 3D printing, it is likely that he was part of a sub-group devoted to the topic on the not-to-be-named-here website owned by Serena Williams' husband. However, unless his username was, you know, his actual name, there'd be no way to discern his identity. I don't use Discord, but that is another venue where he would've met like-minded, er, hobbyists, so if anyone is on Discord they might poke around there to see what they can find.

Not a sign in sight, as far as my online sleuthing goes. If he was interested in 3D printing, it is likely that he was part of a sub-group devoted to the topic on the not-to-be-named-here website owned by Serena Williams' husband. However, unless his username was, you know, his actual name, there'd be no way to discern his identity. I don't use Discord, but that is another venue where he would've met like-minded, er, hobbyists, so if anyone is on Discord they might poke around there to see what they can find.
You don't need a 3d printer to make a ghost gun. One can buy all the parts you need in kit form at sites like this: Ghost Guns All the buyer needs to do is finish the pieces (sanding, bluing etc.) and assemble them.

Took me a sec to realize you meant the online fundraiser for the victims--at first, I had the terrible thought that it was for the shooter's parents!

While I would not suggest a fundraiser for them, I do think a certain degree of sympathy for the Sherwin parents is not out of place. In one morning out of absolutely nowhere, on what was supposed to be a happy family vacation, they not only lost their son but they found out he was a mass shooter who had killed an innocent family.

Has it been considered at all that AS may have shot the parents & daughter to either gain access to the son or to "free" him in some way?

If he attended the same college where his father teaches, fellow teachers may not want to comment on the son or dynamic between them but it's interesting that no former students have commented either. Was AS home schooled before college?

My personal opinion and impression so far, of how the parents acted regarding their adult son, AS... is they were not thinking of him as 'genius'....more like walking on egg shells around him, while trying to control/pacify/cover for him.

Something(s) were definitely WAY OFF with this one
MOO

I don't know. Part of me thinks he was a disturbed individual who made a gun and just wanted to shoot someone. I know that sounds awful. But more and more, this seems the likeliest explanation to me. While perhaps more rare, there ARE random crimes and homicides where the perp and victim(s) have absolutely no relation, nothing that happened to spur this, and evil just enters an innocent person's life one day. It seems he brought this ghost gun with him and was maybe looking for someone to use it on that day and decided on this poor family camping nearby.

Regardless of the reason, what an awful tragedy.

Has it been considered at all that AS may have shot the parents & daughter to either gain access to the son or to "free" him in some way?

If he attended the same college where his father teaches, fellow teachers may not want to comment on the son or dynamic between them but it's interesting that no former students have commented either. Was AS home schooled before college?
I had wondered if maybe AS had been planning to abduct Sara or Lula Schmidt at gunpoint and lead them silently into the woods for sexual assault, but he woke up the rest of the family in the process. It could have been the little boy who was the target as well, I suppose.

About "freeing him" as you said. From what I read, both AS and Arlo Schmidt were both considered geniuses by their families for their advanced computing skills. It's possible if AS had some undisclosed interaction with the Schmidts the night before, he could have noted or imagined similarities between Arlo and himself as a child.

About the school: The article says AS was an online student with the college his father teaches at. My thoughts are that AS was indeed homeschooled from a young age.

I also wonder if he was influenced by something online- you can be "smart" and still lack judgment. IMO. And I wonder if he was possibly on some Rx meds which are notoriously difficult to gauge dosages and reactions in young men.

Patients ages 18 to 24 might be more at risk of behavioral adverse reactions to antidepressants than older adults. Further studies are needed of these low risks, but they appear to be far outweighed by the risk of untreated or under-treated depression.

Safe use of SSRIs in young adults: how strong is evidence for ...​

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC2674796

The FDA “Black Box” Warning on Antidepressant Suicide Risk ...

https://www.frontiersin.org › fpsyt.2019.00294 › full

by M Fornaro · 2019 · Cited by 48 — ... on antidepressants regarding the risk of suicidality in young adults ... considering a decline in the prescription of the antidepressant ...

Should Teenagers Not Take SSRIs? - Verywell Mind​

https://www.verywellmind.com › Depression › Treatment

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cautions that young adults between the ages of 18 to 24 who are taking an antidepressant may be at risk for an ...

Wonder if his parents were "watching him" because of that. IMO

Catching up on this and started reading about the ghost gun- I just knew I had read another case in the last few days, and finally figured it out. This is local to me, so that’s probably why it stood out, but a North Kansas City police officer was killed on the job 2 weeks ago and just released the shooter used a self-manufactured 3d printed ghost gun.
Documents indicate suspect who shot North Kansas City officer made gun himself

Apparently these have been surging in popularity, as when I was googling there were several recent shooting cases involving ghost guns.

https://eu.desmoinesregister.com/st...-sherwin-used-homemade-ghost-gun/10188465002/

We need to patiently wait then.

I take it, then , that it wasn't the gun Sherwins kept in that secure thingy?

Well, it seems they are wrong.

Then Anthony's parents went to say that they did not let him buy a gun, but thought building one would be fine and were amazed when Anthony finally put a gun together. Overall it increases my impression they were treating their full grown son like he was still a child. That's some really weird family dynamic going on in here.

They also called Anthony a genius and said he had super sophisticated computer, which he used to set up a business. They do not say what kind of business it was. During the trip something broke in that compuer and that's why Anthiony was eager to come home. He was taking online college classes. Anthony's father, Joseph, teaches physics at the very same college, which stated Anthony was their student from 2017 til February this year.

The parents are digging themselves deeper.

BBM

I camp a lot. Campgrounds aren't enormous, and there are limited places you would think to look for a person within a campground -- you've typically got one or more bathrooms, maybe a shower facility, a place to bring garbage and recycling, sometimes a shack for boating and lifeguard gear, a building to house equipment like lawn mowers, chainsaws, etc., maybe a common building for people to congregate and play games or a pavilion for picnicking, and the caretaker's quarters. It isn't illogical to think that if a member of your party isn't in the tent or your vehicle, then they're probably in the bathroom or shower. Almost every time I've camped within a formal campground I've experienced someone usually bellowing into the bathroom "Hey So-and-So, are you in there?" Last year I even inadvertently freaked a woman out when I yelled back that I was the only one in there, not realizing her young child was quietly standing at the sink waiting for me to finish peeing so I could turn on the water. Knocking on a stall door doesn't seem weird to me at all, nor does choosing that as a place to look for someone.

As soon as I reach any campsite, the first thing I do is lock my phone in the glovebox. Not everyone carries a phone when they camp.
I'm sorry I do have to respectfully disagree. First of all emergencies can happen anytime so a cellphone is vey usefull in that instance. Some people may think others have cellphones and someone will call in that emergency but they may not also thinking someone else is calling and it tuns into a cycle of no help. Its happened even in public places. Recently there was a case of a young woman being sexually assaulted in the middle of the day in a public park with hundreds of people in that park and this is exacly what happened, sadly. The young woman's mother had to chase the suspect away. No one stepped in to help her. This kind of thing happens all the time. After being chased away the suspect was caught at his home by LE sometime later that day. As for the the father knocking on the bathroom stall door I still see it as unusual. Why was the father looking for the suspect in the first place? Let him come back to the tent and he can talk to him at that time. In the original post it didn't say there was an emergency that the father had to talk to the Sherwin right away, what was the rush to speak to him? Because its such a horrible incident that has happened a family is dead with a 9 year old surviving son these aspects have to be looked at nothing should be overlooked.

Here is a map of the campground layout from Iowa’s Dept. of Natural Resources: https://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/uploads/parks/campgroundmaps/maquoketacavescg.pdf

This shows just one restroom in the area where folks would camp.

View of the overall Maquoketa Caves park here:

It occurs to me that we know the Schmidt family was camping in a tent, but the Sherwood might’ve been in a tent OR a camper, as the park map shows places for both types of camping. The Sherwins being in a camper or similar RV-like vehicle makes more sense, given the mother’s comment about storing the gun in a “secure container behind the driver’s seat.”

EDITED: Sherwins were in a tent. DCI: Killer stayed in tent 75 yards away from Iowa family he later attacked

I agree with others here who suggested that it seems likely that AS intended to target his parents. I wonder if AS woke up early, snuck out of the tent and to his parents’ vehicle, retrieved the gun, and then, upon returning, mistook the Schmidts’ tent for the one where his parents were sleeping? Only 75 yards apart…sounds like it’d have been an easy mistake to make especially in the early morning light.

EDIT 2: Per DCI: Killer stayed in tent 75 yards away from Iowa family he later attacked the Sherwin parents were in a separate tent next to AS’ tent. Sneaking out to the vehicle to get the gun would’ve been easy for AS to do without awakening his folks: “The killer’s parents camped next to him in a separate tent, Mortvedt said. He said that the parents have been cooperating with authorities into the investigation but said that they were unaware of any previous interaction that their son had with the Schmidt family.”
But the question arises why did he shoot three instead of two? I don't know how much daylight was at this time but he could see his victims if he shot all three of them and not two (his parents.) So IDK, although I haven't read all the threads yet so far so there could be a different set of circumstances that the family was killed under, sadly.

I've read so many news stories about this that I can't find the one that mentioned the Sherwins taking a morning walk, but one article did mention that they were just returning to their tent after a morning walk without Anthony when the surviving 9 year-old boy approached Mrs. Sherwin to tell her that "a man in black had just shot his family".

I'm not convinced that the shooter intended to kill his parents. I'm actually unconvinced that he even intended to shoot anyone at all at first. The way he ran off into the forest and shot himself doesn't really gibe with what we have seen in other mass shooters. It seems more like an impulsive act of fear and remorse. If he intended to kill people, why would he stop with the Schmidt family when he had free run of an early morning campground? Mass shooters don't usually kill themselves until they are cornered by police and unable to continue the massacre. I've never heard of one that fled the scene unopposed and shot himself in another location.

I'm leaning more to the first shot being fired accidentally into the Schmidt tent, killing two simultaneously, then Sherwin entering the tent still holding the gun and getting into a fight with the surviving adult, and using the gun impulsively to stop the attack. He then runs away and eventually shoots himself because he cannot deal with what happened.

It's pretty likely that Sherwin's thought processes deviated from the norm. We can base this on his overreactions to the insurance incident that has been mentioned, and his unusual appearance in his photograph. Also, the way his mother speaks about him sounds like he may have had some special life circumstances to deal with. An irrational reaction to an unintentional firearm discharge while he was playing with the family's gun would not be out of the question.
I'm sorry but no one would shoot accidentally in a full campground with people in it hitting a tent by doing so. Therefore it cannot be accidental. He possibly knew that LE or someone else with a firearm was going to come after him. That's why he ran away into the woods, he wasn't looking for a shootout. He probably coudn't imagine the outcome of what he had done so decided to go and finish himself off. He also probably knew he couldn't handle the aftermath of what he had just done and didn't want to got to prison for a second even.

Some articles on injustice collectors.
Crime takes all kinds of makers. Not surprised.

Didn't the knock on the bathroom came after the shooting and before police arrived, while the Sherwins were looking for Anthony, unsuspecting that he was the shooter?

I agree with Beginnersleuther that nothing we know about Sherwin indicates psychosis or paranoia and he may have been on the autism spectrum. He seems to have had little in the way of self-perception, judging from his photograph. His over-reaction to the insurance incident also seems like the reaction of a high-functioning autistic person, as does the manner in which his mother speaks of him. Not to mention that not many neurotypical young men of 23 would go camping with mom and dad... and, none of his peers, friends or coworkers have come forward with statements about him, indicating he may have had none due to his condition.

Because there was no connection or interaction noted with the Schmidt family, no indication of any warning signs noted by Sherwin's parents, and the facts that the shootings took place on the spur of the moment in the midst of a family vacation and the suspect did not attempt to shoot any other victims, as well as his flight and suicide, I think the shooting may have begun with an accidental discharge caused by the suspect playing with the family gun.

I posted this theory earlier in the thread. Basically, suspect plays with gun while his parents are not present. Gun goes off, bullet goes into Schmidt tent, killing one adult and the little girl. Suspect enters the tent to see what happened, still holding the gun. Surviving Schmidt adult engages suspect in combat, thinking he is there to finish them off, then suspect impulsively shoots that person to stop the attack. Suspect runs away into the woods, then some time later shoots himself as he cannot cope with the enormity of the situation.
I doubt this would be the case that he accidentally shoots into the family's tent because he was playing with the gun. For a number of reasons. Its daylight and someone would have seen him wih the firearm aiming in a public space with tents so close to one another. That would have raised concerns with the other campers as to what this man was doing. Secondly media reports have stated what LE said occurred inside the tent we have no reaon to dispute what LE said. Thirdly the gun was in a secured container, if the parents were concerned something illtoward may happen due to their son's condition they would have secured it even more just to make sure that he wouldn't get the firearm. Only they could. I'm afraid this is a totally random senseless act of violence. As much as we don't want to believe it has to be accepted that there are individuals who want to carry out something like this. And the rest of us have to stand up and say "NO"!!!!

Well, I'm not guessing here. This is what I do for a living. If an individual is paranoid (and nothing in this case thus far has revealed paranoia), depending on the extent of the paranoia and whether there is imminent risk, yes they may let them go. Imminent risk means that they are about to hurt themselves or hurt others. There are a lot of paranoid individuals who cannot be legally detained by doctors or police. People are allowed to be paranoid without being locked up. I'll give examples:

PERSON A: People are listening to my calls, they're bugging my phone and put a tracker on my car. I bet it's the FBI.
DOCTOR: What do you think you should do about it?
PERSON A: I don't know, but I'm scared. They have no right to bug my phone!
DOCTOR: Do you have weapons at home?
PERSON A: No, do you think I need weapons?
DOCTOR: No.

PERSON B: People are listening to my calls, they're bugging my phone and put a tracker on my car. I bet it's the FBI.
DOCTOR: What do you think you should do about it?
PERSON B: I have my gun. I'm going to find out who it is and teach them who's boss.

In the above scenarios, PERSON A would be sent home with a safety plan, meaning a plan to call a crisis center or the doctor before acting on anything. Medications would also be adjusted. PERSON B can be involuntarily committed because he has a gun and a plan to use it on others. If PERSON A were committed based on the above interview, the doctor would have broken the law. Laws are set up like this to protect the mentally ill because mentally ill people are more likely to be victims than perpetrators.

When I was 19, I went on a trip with my family. We rented a condo for a week and we had 10 people there. One morning, I went for a run before anyone woke up. I guess I was gone longer than I thought and my parents were worried about me and went looking for me.

I imagine a similar scenario here. AS could have been gone for a while and parents were like "where'd he go?" Or they may have just been talking about going on a hike and he disappeared. They're wondering if they should wait for him and so they wait and he doesn't come by and they wonder where he is. So father knocks on the bathroom door. There are all kinds of reasons this could have happened.
I agree with all of your answers to my thoughts. The knocking on the bathroom stall door is in context if something were troubling to the parents. In your instance your parents didn't have a troubling concern as perhaps in his case maybe they did. And for the rationale about Person B I fully agree with your perspective that's what I was trying to state but you said it more eloquently. Thank you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunnid
Back