Found Deceased Iceland - Birna Brjánsdóttir, 20, Reykjavík, 14 Jan 2017 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A young local woman, Maria, who works at the downtown bar The English Pub said she had gotten to know one of the two men, Nikolaj Olsen, during his previous visits to Iceland. He has visited Iceland on numerous occasions, making Icelandic friends and acquaintances during these visits. She describes Nikolaj as a polite and soft man, who didn't drink as much as many other fishermen and sailors who frequent the bar.

She only recognized the second man, Thomas Møller Olsen, from photos in local media. Thomas Møller is being held on suspicion of having killed Birna and of being connected to a large drug find on board the trawler.

Maria said Nikolaj came to the bar on Friday January 13: "He comes in, just before midnight, when he seems to be sober. He sits down at the bar and we chat for a while." Nikolaj was in a good mood. He spoke to other guests and then plays the "lucky wheel", a kind of roulette wheel mounted on the wall behind the bar. Nikolaj strikes lucky on the wheel, winning eight large beers. Nikolaj also ordered shots.

Nikolaj was alone for most of the night, although he chatted with other guests. However, just before three o'clock Thomas Møller came to speak to Nikolaj. She says that Nikolaj had become quite intoxicated by that time. He was later asked to leave as he had fallen asleep at one of the tables.

Thomas didn't say much, but sat beside Nikolaj, drank one beer and a shot. Police believes that Thomas drove the red Kia Rio which Birna entered later that night. Shortly after Nikolaj was shown out of the bar he started calling Maria, who ignored the calls, as Nikolaj was already very drunk.

Nikolaj made nine phone calls to Maria that night. The first five calls were made before Police believes Birna entered the car which the two suspects were driving: At 3:55, 3:56, 5:16, 5:18 and 5:19 AM. Police believes Birna entered the red Kia Rio the two men were driving at 5:25AM. At 5:50 a telecommunications tower in Hafnarfjörður, near where the Polar Nanoq was harboured, received the last signal from Birna's cell phone. The phone was turned off manually shortly thereafter.

Minutes later, at 5:53AM the car is spotted on footage from security camera footage from a nearby golf course. The behavior of the driver in the footage is described as suspicious. At 6:10 the car is then seen entering the harbour area where the Polar Nanoq was located. Nikolaj then exits the car and is seen speaking with Thomas Møller for a while. At 7:00 Thomas leaves, only to return at 11:30AM. Police believes he disposed of the body of Birna during this time.

Screenshots from Maria's hone show that Nikolaj made several phone calls to her during this period: First at 6:03, then at 6:04 and finally at 6:44 AM. He also called her at 11:55 AM, after Thomas Møller had returned to the trawler.

María did not return any of the phone calls. However, she spoke with him on Snapchat in the afternoon on Saturday. She asked him if everything was ok, since he had been making frantic attempts to reach her during the morning. She says that Nikolaj claimed everything was ok, and she says there was nothing in their conversation which caused her to suspect that there was anything wrong.

After the name of the Polar Nanoq had been mentioned in local media she tried to get in touch with Nikolaj, as she knew he was a member of the crew.
"I finally got in touch with him on Tuesday, when I send him a message, and a few minutes later I get a reply. I sent him a message on Facebook, asking if he was still hung-over from Saturday morning. He said he was ok, that he was out fishing, but that the ship was returning to Iceland. He said there was trouble with the wi-fi on-board. I asked him if everything had been all right that night and he had made it on-board safe. I never got an answer."

http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/...d-phone-calls-icelandic-friend-during-fateful

For some reason I still don't think Nikolaj participated. I think he was dragged along, was probably to drunk to realize what was happening or do anything about it. Lying to Maria is natural - I think he probably feared for his own life if he said anything to anyone.

The cell phone info is very interesting regardless, and I hope we learn more about these guys and what happened. I just can't put it together - why she was killed IN the car first of all.

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2017/01/30/police_now_know_how_murder_of_birna_was_committed/
[h=1]Police now know how murder of Birna was committed[/h]
Birna's funeral takes place on Friday at Hallgrímskirkja church in Reykjavik. Birna's parents have declined flowers and wreaths and would like people to donate money to the Landsbjörg SAR association instead.
They will not yet disclose her cause of death. Vísir reports this morning that a Greenlandic woman had previously made charges against one of the suspects for rape. The charges were dismissed because of lack of evidence.

Just throwing a possible scenerio out there: Maybe Nikolaj wasn't involved in the actual killing. Maybe they stopped somwhere, Thomas asked him to get out of the car because he thought he was going to be able to sleep with Birna, she refused, and then Thomas killed her. It seems he wasn't with Thomas when he dumped her body. I'm not saying he didn't know about it, just that maybe he wasn't involved in her murder.

On that note, I suppose it's possible that the reverse is true, but I think that's less likely, since I don't think Thomas would've driven all over to dump her body if Nikolaj had been the sole killer.

ETA: I see Vail posted a similar thought above. I hadn't refreshed when I typed this out, but I'm leaning the same way, Vail.

RSBM

How terrifying for Maria, to know if she'd answered his calls or met up with them she could have been the one killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure... It doesn't seem like they planned it. It's more likely that they (or mainly Thomas?) saw a visibly drunk, lone female and took their chance.

Perhaps Nikolaj was just calling Maria because he was drunk - particularly if they had a previous relationship (which is implied) - and Thomas wasn't involved with the calling? It's even possible that Nikolaj was confused, sick, calling for help or desperately trying to get out of the situation. He could even have been butt-dialling! (Ok - unlikely, but not impossible.) I don't think we can assume anything regarding those calls.

It has seemed all along that Thomas was the mastermind and probably the only one sober enough to carry out this dreadful crime. The previous rape allegation against him doesn't surprise me at all.

Interrogations of the two men will resume today.

A final conclusion from the autopsy report of a forensic pathologist is still being awaited, as are the results of biological tests of items confiscated onboard Polar Nanoq. Those could be ready in the next few days.

No decision has been made as to whether an extension of the suspects’ police custody, which expires Thursday, will be requested. The police originally requested four weeks of custody, but the courts only granted two weeks.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2017/01/31/interrogations-resume-today

Following yesterday’s interrogations of the two men, police believe they now have a clearer idea of the sequence of events the day she died. A decision will be made tonight or tomorrow regarding whether to request an extension of police custody of the suspects.

Interrogations will continue today. No confession has been made.

Results from the analysis of certain biological samples are still being awaited, as is the final autopsy report.

Funeral services for Birna will be held Friday at Hallgrímskirkja church in Reykjavík.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2017/02/01/police-closer-conclusion-birnas-case

d89d9e03e489c71b15ca42137f892a9e.jpg

She had a smile, laugh & personality like no other! Such a LOSS, my heart is Broken over loss of such a Beautiful person! I pray for her Mother, Father & Brother that they will find Peace!

Police did request that the court extend the custody over the other man for two weeks while the investigation continues. This request was approved. He will remain in solitary confinement for the duration of the two weeks.

The man who is still in custody is being held under the clause in the criminal code dealing with murder in the first degree. Neither man has made a confession.

Investigators believe the case is close enough to being solved to justify releasing one of the two men.

The defense attorney of the man who will be released today said his client had assisted police the best he could.

The suspect police would like to keep in custody is the one caught on security cameras driving the red Kia Rio rental car away from Hafnarfjörður harbor at 7 am the day Birna went missing. He didn’t return until four hours later, and the police have not been able to track his travels during that time.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2017/02/02/one-suspect-birnas-case-released-today

Birna's funeral was held today at Hallgrímskirkja, the largest church in Iceland. It was attended by her family and friends and many other people who wanted to say their goodbyes. Her place of work was closed today so her coworkers could attend. The president and first lady of Iceland, Guðni Th. Jóhannesson and Eliza Reid, alongside former president, Ms. Vigdís Finnbogadóttir (the first elected female president in the world) also attended. Birna's parents reached out to the press and allowed them to take pictures/videos as long as there would be no up close photographs of them mourning.

http://www.visir.is/utfor-birnu-brj...a-hallgrimskirkju-i-dag/article/2017170209552

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michelle177
Back