ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 59

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With lights from the outside and moonlight may of been all the light he needed. I can go all through my home except 1 bathroom at night. My blinds are half closed and sheer curtains

I don't think he wore night vision goggles b/c I think he already knew the layout, because he was pretty fast getting in, and getting out, in a confusing home layout. ( M's room was easy to identify only from the outside. Pink boots and an "M", sitting in the window.) I can get around my home at night without lights too. Shades pulled, no moonlight, nothing. However, let a guest try it and they may not be so fortunate. Open the wrong door to what you think was the coat room or bathroom, and you may be at the foot of some steps with a broken leg. Too bad that didn't happen to the defendant.

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

STOP with the discussion of various mental health disorders.

The ONLY thing we are aware of at this time is that his family members made reference to OCD. Beyond that we know nothing about this man's mental health or any diagnosis, so it is all speculation not based on any known fact.
from December 31, 2022, page 2 of every thread since that date

Last edited:
For those discussing medications, I was on Topamax for migraines for 6 months. . It was a monster. I had problems seeing things across the room, felt like I was walking with weights on my legs, list goes on and on. Then I started going insane. I would be driving and have an uncomfortable urge to want to swerve into an oncoming car. Then I just wanted to kill myself. I went to my Dr and asked to be taken off. I started lowering my dose, and a few days off it I was back to normal. Even my vision. I can also say that having chronic pain (28 migraines a month for 45 years) can also mess up the mind. Luckily, I found relief a few years ago with a new drug. So drugs can really do the unexpected.

I agree. Unless DM elaborates on what "thud" means to her (or meant to her that night), and if LE confirms that she used that word and it wasn't the affidavit writer's interpretation of her description, then I'm not going to speculate on what could have cause the thud. I'm also not convinced that the dog barking was Murphy, and without hearing the audio of the noises, I can't judge whether either sound came from inside or outside the house. However, knowing that this was a party house, I can't believe a single bark or a single thud is the loudest noise ever to emanate from the house, and the neighbors would have adjusted their recording device accordingly (or been driven mad from normal college-kid party noise).
I don’t think DM told them about the thud sound.
Edit to add: she probably wasn’t the one to choose the word thud.

From Page 4 of the Affidavit it sounds like someone in LE reviewed the security camera footage and audio.
JMO

644FC4E6-4890-46A4-97E6-55625048CC82.jpeg

I think the guy at the vigil it much more thin than BK
That was my impression too, the guy from the vigil video looks thinner than BK. Its hard to tell for sure but looking at his side profile, BK's nose is more hooked or rounded out than that guy's nose. JMO

The human brain will align unusual situations with events it rationally comprehends and it's my understanding that shifts as we have more life experiences.

I would suggest that at her age, it would be most common for her brain to interpret someone crying as a relationship issue and I doubt if it would be the first time tears had been shed.

She seems to have interpreted activity to the dog playing and that would be familiar sounds to her but likely wouldn't have considered the dog may have been agitated, having never seen the dog agitated.

At her age, 'someone is in the house' would have simply caused me to wonder which one of my roommates invited somebody over for an after party.

She knew her rooommate had ordered food, 'someone in the house' may have simply registered to her as 'your food is here'.

I live quite rural and it's always amazed me how quickly young people adapted to covid masks and again to personal choice for masks and I suspect it didn't fully register as being as unusua. If it were a balaklava (as some have suggested), the weather was cool and her mind would have connected it winter attire.

Our minds don't necessarily play trick on is but they do interpret based on things we understand. I have ranched for 50+ years and only a couple years ago, I found my father's horse in a situation that defied description. I absolutely did not see the ugly gaping wound and was convinced that some fool had drawn a thick red marker line on a horse and it wasn't until he refused to move that I started to understand he was gravely wounded.

Sorry to hear about your horse. Isn't it strange what the mind does? I agree with all your points - and even if DM didn't know the food had been ordered, she would have been quite familiar with food orders. I agree she probably thought the guy was the delivery person, although they do not usually come in the house, she may have thought this night was an exception or that someone else in the house knew this person.

Our minds are not at their best in the middle of the night (usually, if we are ordinarily keeping a night sleeping schedule) and being awakened from deep sleep is a state where many people are not fully functional.

That's why this killer chose that hour of the night to strike. The witching hour. He was amped up (whether on his own brain chemicals or something else) and he knew the victims were highly vulnerable. I think it's possible he had more than one house as a target and was deciding which one was most attractive (e.g., most vulnerable and containing the right type of victim).

My big question now is why he decompensated/acted out to that degree on that particular night. Was it becoming more clear that being a grad student wasn't going to be a walk in the park? Was it the first time he'd received criticism from a professor? Was he so lonely and homesick (his first time away from his parents, that we know of) that he wasn't sleeping and was morose?

Can someone tell me if, at the Preliminary Status Hearing, the prosecution will present evidence over and above that which has already been cited in the PCA? For example, if they have found evidence in any of the searches they’ve executed since BK’s arrest, will that be put forth? TIA

I believe that, if you’re talking about the hearing scheduled on the 12th, and rescheduled for 8:00 instead of 10:00, because of a scheduling conflict, it won’t have any interesting evidence. I think that it’ll be nothing but scheduling and paperwork. One thing interesting—they’re showing a desire to not delay. In some cases I’ve watched, it’d be: “A scheduling conflict? Okay, how about a week from next Wednesday?”

However, I think that there’ll be one very interesting bit of scheduling—the preliminary hearing itself. Technically, that needs to happen by the 17th, I believe, (two weeks after his first appearance in court.) However, I’d guess that it could be postponed, or even waived, at the request of the defense.

And the preliminary hearing should give us lots of material to ponder. Even if it doesn’t have much except what’s in the PCA, it’ll definitely be presented from a different angle. We’ll have more material to nitpick and debate. The prosecution will present enough to justify the main trial taking place. (If, by any chance, they failed at that, I’m guessing that they’d head straight for the alternative, a grand jury.)

MOO I am not a lawyer

These times are from the affidavit

4:04 a.m. he was driving around
D.M. woke up to what she thought was Kaylee playing with dog
D.M. heard someone say "there's someone here"
Xana was alive and awake at 4:12 a.m.
4:17 a.m. there was a thud
4:17 a.m. the dog started barking
D.M. is frozen as he walks out the patio door minutes later

Affidavit, pg.7
IMO the thud she heard could have been X hitting the floor after being attacked.

I didn’t realize it was outside her door. That poor girl. So maybe he didn’t leave but came back to her door, but it was locked. Did he threaten her at that point? Try the doorknob? Pound on the door? Or he could have been there a few minutes earlier? I would have been absolutely terrified at that point. JMO

PCA seems to indicate that the print showed he walked past her door, just as she said he did. It doesn't mean he stopped there. It is probably part of a series of footprints.

I'm pretty sure DM's entire story is told in the PCA. She does not mention being threatened. Or any knocks at her door.

PCA tries to show that while his footprints had less and less blood on them as he walked toward his exit, there was still enough to get a passing latent print outside DM's door. Presumably they could find all of the others on that second pass through the house (maybe only from one foot, meaning he'd only stepped in blood with one foot).

I wouldn't be surprised if at the Prelim, we hear about blood footprints from where ever the blood first got on his shoe. I fervently hope they have found a record or witness of him wearing Van's by now. I am assuming that the parents are cooperating to some extent and may have talked to LE. It's also possible that the Van's were found at his home in PA - I sure do hope so.

Just playing devil's advocate for minute if BK pleads not guilty. I know there will be more evidence forthcoming but right now I'm interested in how many college friends were called to the house before 911 was called and if their presence might add to contamination of the crime scene? Speculation on if anything was moved or removed from the house or other intrusive movements? Seems to me a good defense would pursue this issue and try to get as much evidence as possible thrown out. A good defense attorney will use any loose ends and unanswered questions to promote doubt.

Can someone tell me if, at the Preliminary Status Hearing, the prosecution will present evidence over and above that which has already been cited in the PCA? For example, if they have found evidence in any of the searches they’ve executed since BK’s arrest, will that be put forth? TIA
I doubt any evidence will be presented at the status conference. Status conferences generally serve purely logistical/administrative purposes. Might discuss some scheduling issues, beginning of disclosure, things of that nature.

I did not know Bethany had activity on her phone at the time of the murders. I assumed she went to bed around 2:00 and never noticed a thing or it would have been mentioned in the PC
Also, question - I recall at the very start of the case, there was talk of a bunch of calls from I believe both KC and MM to MM's ex? Does anyone recall what times those were?
On page 5 of the PCA it mentions that there was activity on Bethany's phone around the time of the murders or shortly after.

IMO the thud she heard could have been X hitting the floor after being attacked.
I agree the thud was likely X falling to the floor after being attacked, but just to clarify, the PCA never once says D heard a thud. That was captured on the footage from a camera 50 feet away. The fact the PCA attributes it to the footage and not to D suggests to me she didn't hear/register that. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mygrowingbranches