ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have eight(8) 4K video cameras around my property. The have incredibly clear video... but no sound.

I never thought sound would be important and I wonder how many video camera systems other than doorbell applications like Ring, have a actual audio?
Good question, we have regular video cameras in addition to ring and they do not have audio. I am assuming, maybe incorrectly we are talking about the little grey house and the lamp looking camera on the porch?? I have never seen such a camera. I’m going to see if I can find a replica.

I haven't spent much time on motivation to this point but this is what has come together for me. I would be interested in hearing thoughts on this. :) I don't think BK held a very high opinion of himself. I think he just pretended to. Back in the Dark Ages, when I was just out of college ;), I had this crazy idea that people who display a superiority complex are often over compensating for an inferiority complex. Since then I've read articles that support that. Dumb luck on my part, I assure you, but I think that's what BK was doing. He desperately wanted to be a genius and get the girl. Being socially awkward, he did what he thought portrayed those things. Only he didn't get it right and he offended people, creeped them out and was rejected again and again.

I think that's why he graded the students so harshly, to show them that he was smarter than they were. "Here's what I know and why you got it wrong." That's why his former friend said BK told him he wasn't very smart and put him down. And he really didn't like women showing him up. Like the woman in class that he made so angry she stormed out and left her things behind.

The same with dating, like when he stated that he could go to a club and get any woman he wanted. Pitiful, really. My experience has been that guys who really can get any (or almost any) woman they want don't spend their time bragging about what they could do. They just do what they do and laugh as the other guys eat their hearts out.

I'm starting to believe he either already had an unhealthy fascination with murder, or he developed one during his studies. I'm not sure why. But I do think he was came into contact with at least one of the girls, and it ended with him somehow being offended, insulted, or rejected. Maybe he asked to come to one of their parties, and was told no. Maybe he asked one of them his standard creepy questions about their schedule and where they lived, and they told him to stuff it.

Whatever it was, he began stalking her/them, fantasizing about his revenge. Either he's killed before and this was an escalation murder, or he didn't go in there intending to kill four people with pretty much his bare hands. He may have kick boxed, but he's not trained in hand to hand combat that we know of, so I can't think he could expect to take on four people and have no complications. But I can sort of see him thinking he could sneak in during the wee hours, kill the one who offended him, and leave.

Only it didn't work out the way he planned for it to. Xena was still awake. And that changed everything. Right now, I think the reason he didn't see D was because he was freak out by the fact that he just killed four people and just wanted to get the heck out of there before anyone else showed up. And that's why he sped away. He was fleeing.

Thoughts?
Ding, ding, ding!!!

We are recording our first episode of 2023 live tonight; Tuesday Jan 10 at 9PM eastern. We were scheduled to cover San Francisco's Doodler case, but we have pushed that back. Instead, we will do something a little different, and discuss a case that everyone is talking about- the 'Idaho 4' AKA 'Moscow Murders'

On November 13th, 2022, 4 Four popular college students at the University of Idaho were found stabbed to death in the home that 3 of them lived in. Police, the community, and the victim's families were at a loss as to who would want to brutally murder Maddie Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin.

The case dragged on for weeks and caught the attention of media across the nation while residents of Moscow feared that a maniac was on the loose. Countless online forums and groups filled with citizen detectives gathered to discuss the shocking murders, and try to sort thru the clues, and share theories.

Finally, on December 30th, 2022, police arrested Bryan Christopher Kohberger for the murders, and he is currently going thru the court process and is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

While justice may be on the horizon, countless questions remain, and people are still interested in this case, and what exactly happened, how it happened, and why. On tonight's live recording, we'd like for you to join us to discuss the case, share your theories, and ask your questions. Whether you are an expert in the details of this case, or just have a general knowledge of the case, there is a lot to talk about. Perhaps our team can come up with some interesting conclusions. DNA analyst Suzanna Ryan can talk about potential DNA clues in the case. Retired homicide detective Cloyd Steiger can discuss what happened on the ground and what investigators may have found. And Dr. Lee Mellor can give us some insights into the mind of the person that would commit such a terrible crime.

So there is a lot to talk about. Again, join us live tonight Tuesday Jan 10 at 9PM Eastern to chat, share your theories, or leave us a voicemail. Should be a very interesting discussion.
You can join us live via any of the following:

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgvqIuf4-sEF2aDdNGip2w

Twitch:

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CitizenDPod

Our Facebook group:
Citizen Detective Podcast Discussion

Or Leave a voicemail:
Send a voice message to citizendetective

That's what confounds me the most. He made mistakes he never should have made. He made mistakes he knew better than to make.
This is what confounds me too! Either he is Very Dumb or this was all intentional and he has some nasty trick up his sleeve for defense. I'm hoping for (and assuming) very dumb but it's still hard to fathom.

DM = NE

Well he inadvertently ended up helping the rural Moscow PD to up there game and learn so much...

This camera picking up sounds 50 feet away possibly inside a house has always made me wonder. It seems to me if it was able to pick up that, the video sound would also be overpowered by traffic noise, actual voices in all the homes, bird chirping and other organic surrounding noises IDK
Just seems odd especially for a residential camera...much less recording continually. MOO
Well I just looked up a cameras with video and audio. Many on Amazon. Here is one for review:

Arulis Light Bulb Security Camera Light Socket Security Camera Wireless Outdoor, 355 Degree Pan/Tilt, 2.4GHz WiFi 1080P 3MP Surveillance Camera with Motion Detection Alarm Night Vision Two-Way-Talk​

A review-
A really easy set up, clear picture, useful app. Broad enough coverage for my entire yard.
I look forward to watching the birds and critters while I am away. I can talk to my dog through the app, although she seems confused. Highly recommend as a training tool to convince her not to bark so much.
So, maybe it was set to record and have mic on simultaneously? Does that make sense?

MOO -- a camera picking up a sound without an image to go along with that sound doesn't seem like great evidence to me. Who knows what made the sound or what direction it came from.

I wish the camera had picked up an image of the killer.

I’m thinking thats the camera that picked up him doing that three point turn at Queen &King rd’s and going back up Queen.

Jmo

We know BCK drove a really strange route back to his apartment after the murders. This article tells just how far out of his way he went. Remember, Moscow ID is about an 8 minute drive to Pullman, WA. I think he was definitely trying to establish an alibi. "I was just out for a long drive. You know, to clear my head. " MOO

Something I’ve been wondering about. Motive.
BK applied for some sort of entry police position. I don’t remember the exact title.
Did we hear if he was accepted, Or was it yet to be decided.
What if BK did these murders so that as in an entry level police position he could either help solve ( pinning it on someone else) or throw the investigation completely off track, or just be even closer to the ongoing investigation.
I realize this is quite a stretch to think, but, he is an odd one with an unknown motive.
MO

This is what confounds me too! Either he is Very Dumb or this was all intentional and he has some nasty trick up his sleeve for defense. I'm hoping for (and assuming) very dumb but it's still hard to fathom.

Book smart no common sense.

Someone he knew described him as social awkward.

Others said, Off

Jmo

The fact he made so many mistakes shows to me he was extremely narcissistic or similar, thought he was soooo smart and clever. The fact is if you really try and think about how not to get caught you realize it’s nearly impossible unless you’re isreal Keyes. That’s why people who do plan a kill like this already aren’t that bright. He was so excited to murder innocent people that he didn’t pay attention to his actions on the day.

He’s no dexter Morgan that’s for sure.

Just seeing if anyone else has checked into this but it’s pretty hard to find many cameras that record sound 50 ft away. It would have to be a totl camera. Ring cameras only record like 10 ft.
I have a Lorex camera (similar to a Ring in function) that can record relatively loud noises from that distance, and perhaps a bit farther. Often such noises come across as garbled.

Acute VSS is correlated with a higher rate of depersonalization. If one reads the same sources that offered up the accused having VSS then it also appears he suffered from depersonalization.

Was BK ever diagnosed with VSS or was this a self-diagnosis as a teen? Wouldn't he have been around 14-15 in 2009? I've been surfing and searching and have not found any connection to violent behaviour and VSS but maybe I'm searching in the wrong places. I'd not heard about it prior to this case. Could it be that he was suffering from some other visual problems? And as a teen, doing the best research he knew how?

(Note; This is not in any way discussing BK's mental health. Just tossing out personal experience. My youngest son started experiencing strange and unsettling visual problems around age 12. He was previously diagnosed with a conduct disorder. About a third of those with his disorder experienced hallucinations. This disorder began rearing its head around age 4ish. After reaching adulthood, if your child continues on their merry path, a new term for the disorder is given; ASPD. We would look like a fairly average family, if you saw us on vacation or in a restaurant unless you noticed my chronic hypervigilance... )

Visual Snow Syndrome
Depersonaliztion:
"Depersonalization-derealization disorder occurs when you persistently or repeatedly have the feeling that you're observing yourself from outside your body or you have a sense that things around you aren't real, or both. Feelings of depersonalization and derealization can be very disturbing and may feel like you're living in a dream.

Symptoms
Persistent and recurrent episodes of depersonalization or derealization or both cause distress and problems functioning at work or school or in other important areas of your life. During these episodes, you are aware that your sense of detachment is only a feeling and not reality.

Are there risk factors for visual snow syndrome?
In some cases, providers have found that visual snow syndrome is diagnosed in people with other disorders, including:

Migraine with and without aura.
Anxiety.

-----
How common is visual snow syndrome?
Visual snow syndrome isn’t a common condition. It’s estimated to affect about 2% to 3% of the people in the world.
---

Diagnosing

Diagnosing visual snow syndrome requires meeting the Puledda et al. diagnostic criteria, including the necessary duration of having experienced these symptoms for at least three months. While many people have symptoms from the beginning of their lives, others find the symptoms start in their teens or 20s.

You must also have at least two of these four visual symptoms as well:

Seeing afterimages or trailing images (palinopsia)

Seeing color or light images within your eyes like floaters and flashes (entoptic phenomena).

Being sensitive to light (photophobia).

Having trouble seeing at night (nyctalopia).

What causes visual snow syndrome?
Researchers don’t know the exact cause of visual snow syndrome. Some scientists think that parts of your brain could be hyperactive.

BK applied for some sort of entry police position. I don’t remember the exact title.
What if BK did these murders so that as in an entry level police position he could either help solve ( pinning it on someone else) or throw the investigation completely off track, or just be even closer to the ongoing investigation.
I realize this is quite a stretch to think, but, he is an odd one with an unknown motive.
MO
I think this in the realms of possibility. I don’t think we heard one way or the other, if he didn’t get it or they hadn’t decided. It certainly would have been an interesting turn if he was “helping” and I shudder to think of that scenario, but we don’t have to.

MO
I don't think you're too far off base.

I think we'll find out he's obsessed with murder, blood, crime scenes, etc.

MOO, but I think he came to the point of doing this by not getting that internship. I feel like he wanted that internship to fulfill his desires of being close to crime scenes. Ultimately, he didn't (I assume) get it, so he got his thrill this way.

Ring cameras record only when motion is detected. Mine will record every car that drives by if it senses the motion. There are other brands of security cameras that record 24/7 and footage is saved in the cloud. I’ve seen some that can record more than 100 ft away. It just depends on the brand.
I looked into buying this sort of camera recently because of theft of my fed-ex packages. One thing I noticed was a wide range in price.
Book smart no common sense.

Someone he knew described him as social awkward.

Others said, Off

Jmo
Normal people like us don't have the words to describe thinking of someone who has acted as he did. It does seem helpful to hear past acquaintance's perceptions. Maybe, in the future, some mental health process can weed these guys out before they act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx