ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This possibility would also answer the question of whether he worked anywhere since moving to WA. It has not been mentioned. How did he get money? I think the only job I’ve seen referenced was at a pizza place in PA and the school on PA as security.
I wonder if universities pay doctoral students stipends for teaching under graduate classes?

Even if they do, I imagine that any payments would be minimal outside of perhaps doctoral students with high powered engineering, accountant etc type degrees.

As a result, your question regarding cash flow could well still stand (previous known jobs not exactly conducive to saving alot of money) and reinforce @Fargo 's moon lighting possibility and contact by a ride or dinner delivery.

Xana probably couldn't hear anything happening on the 3rd floor just because of the way the house is built. (The 3rd floor is not directly above the 2nd floor.) Also, if she's focusing on TikTok and distracted, any shuffling and bumping around she may have heard was likely not concerning to her.
This is just a guess but if Ethan was asleep next to her and she was on TikToc, she might have had ear buds/earphones in so the audio wouldn't wake him. My grandson doesn't usually respond to my voice when he's on his phone with his ear buds in but I don't really know if he doesn't hear me or hears and just doesn't respond.
jmo

In reference to posters wondering how BK could have navigated the residence of the victim's in the possible darkness or semi darkness. IMO anyone could have simply gotten a floor plan layout of the place, just go to Zillow for example. If he was stalking the victims he could have gotten the floor plan and each time he drove around the residence, could have been acclimating himself to layout etc. without actually having to be physically inside.

I would guess much of his sleuthing and investigations regarding the planning of these homicides would have taken place on WSU library computers, thereby avoiding any connection with the victims on his personal devices. MOO

Realistically what would he use?? He couldn't borrow a car or rent a car without paper work involved and I'll guess that his parent's probably paid any credit card bill he might have access to. He could have walked with a backpack containing his murder suit, etc. from blocks away, but he didn't think about that, did he?
Yes. So much speculation here early on about how no perp would park nearby. Various walking routes to & from a "hidden" car were devised.

Very odd that BK put his transportation RIGHT AT the scene of the crime, leaving so much CCTV evidence. Darkness wasn't much of a cover for a white car, anyway.

I guess he will explain all in his eventual BTK-like manifesto. But it won't make sense then either.

I have never tried to get inside the mind of a murderer & have to say this one repels much more than he intrigues!

JMHO

With the accusations of BH having multiple usernames for sleuthing groups, does anyone remember a user posting on here the day after Thanksgiving?
The username (dont remember) claimed that it would all come out in the investigation that one of the surviving occupants saw the intruder while they were in the kitchen, got spooked, went to their room. When another websleuther asked how they knew that, the sus account said something along the lines that the occupant saw them before, and didn't know the extent of what had happened. The user was removed asap by mods that felt they were rumor starting..... but it did ring true that an occupant saw the perp... THOUGHTS?
This is MOO. Terrible tragedy all around.
Just as TOS do not allow us to sleuth persons not named as suspects or persons of interest in a case, nor family members, who are considered victims, likewise, TOS bar us from sleuthing other members. Whether that poster knew something or was just a troll, we will never know, but I know what my guess would be. JMO

Just as TOS do not allow us to sleuth persons not named as suspects or persons of interest in a case, nor family members, who are considered victims, likewise, TOS bar us from sleuthing other members. Whether that poster knew something or was just a troll, we will never know, but I know what my guess would be. JMO
Thank you for informing me. New here, want to abide properly.

My impression from the PCA is that LE assumes his egress route at Conestoga Dr and Sand Rd, but I thought the next point is south on 95 near Blaine (a phone ping). Maybe I need another PCA read, too! But I don't think he went straight to Pullman after the murders, instead he went south on 95, then west to Uniontown and then north to Pullman. Again, he had his phone on at this point, so was he lost? Yes, that's possible, but I tend to think he took back roads south out of Moscow, avoiding cameras, then got on 95 heading south, turning on his phone on purpose.

If he was trying to make it appear like he'd gone somewhere east of Moscow, then he might have thought the phone coming back on only solidified his timeline. Check out the route from Moscow to Troy to Kendrick to Julietta to Genesee Valley Lutheran Church (near Blaine). It's a straight shot circle that takes 1 hour and 12 min. Seen on camera heading east out of Moscow around 3:15 and phone comes back on around 4:48 (hour and a half)? It's sort of an alibi if he hadn't been captured by a couple cameras heading west and around King Rd. I don't know if it means anything, but since he wanted to specialize in helping track criminals via digital technology in rural areas, it seems like something he might think he could outsmart LE on. Jmo...
Re egress. Yes, I agree with all that and that he turned on phone on purpose because he felt it was safe to do so when he got to Blaine or wherever it is that is mentioned.. I meant that until he turned his phone back on, no cameras are mentioned, so we don't know how he got to Blaine or wherever it is and the PCA speculates he exited 'the area (ie King/Queen neigbourhood?)' off conegstooga onto Sand/Palouse then went south (but no cameras mentioned) based on where his phone pings (Blaine etc) when he turns on. The next camera that they mention is the Johnson Road heading back in to Pullman (at around 5.20 from memory) and that coincides with his pings at that time. So on that basis, I don't think they had camera footage of him on conestoga or Sand/Palouse when he was leaving as that was clearly extrapolated by the author of the PCA (it's in the section immediately after it talks about the car being spotted driving south on Walenta after leaving at speed at 4.20). As for camera footage from his south pings back to Pullman, LE did have footage for cameras in Pullman and Johnson road close to pullman for 13 November but not for Sand Palouse near cogestoga. This makes me think that they didn't collect/receive footage from that particular area for the am of 13 Nov or it was wiped by the time they figured the car must have exited that way from the immediate neighbourhood.

Your second paragraph makes sense if that was the the way he planned it IMO, We'd then have to assume that he was certain the white elantra that would be filmed on Queen. King, Walenta, /east Indian and Stymer (To name the ones in PCA) could not be traced back to him, Or he believed he had avoided all cameras into and out of the neighnourhood and that there were none on Queen road itself. THe PCA does IMO make it clear that he was not picked up on camera leaving after Walenta heading south. That could just mean LE didn't get footage before wiped or that there were no cameras at those locations.

Aside, I don't think it's given in the PCA that he is videoed on the 270 heading towards Moscow at 2.53, I can't find my bookmarked PCA and got distracted so once I get another copy I'll check it properly. I could be wrong and often am!

ETA: I can't remember where he pings from when phone back on at 4.48 and have no PCA atm. But I'm good with wherever he is placed at 4.48 and his route based on pings back to Pullman and can see that it could appear to be a circular route had he driven east past Moscow getting cameraed en route (then disappered into the rural towards East Indian). That might, to BK's mind, act as akind of alibi. I'm just not really with you on the premise, because of assumptions that have to be made as detailed above.

Last edited:
I wonder if universities pay doctoral students stipends for teaching under graduate classes?

Even if they do, I imagine that any payments would be minimal outside of perhaps doctoral students with high powered engineering, accountant etc type degrees.

As a result, your question regarding cash flow could well still stand (previous known jobs not exactly conducive to saving alot of money) and reinforce @Fargo 's moon lighting possibility and contact by a ride or dinner delivery.
They do!

Most doc students received some sort of TA (Teaching Assistant) or RA (research assistant) position, in exchange for tuition and a stipend. CCJ programs range from 11k a year to 25k a year for the 9 month contract plus summer. I’m not sure what WSUs is specifically.

Normally, faculty encourage applying PhD students to only accept somewhere that pays for them to attend- as it’s silly to pay or take out loans for a PhD when you can get fully funded. It’s rare for someone to NOT be fully funded.

Also worth noting, first semester/first year PhD students may TA, but don’t usually teach their entire own class (instructor of record) until later once they have proven themselves/taken all course work/comprehensive exams. It’s more common to TA in a traditional manner assisting the professor/faculty member with grading, facilitating exams, etc. but also super common for a first year to JUST be an RA, and work hours with a faculty member (usually tenure track) on their (the faculty members) research. That’s the paid hours and they gain solid research experience!

Hope that info helps- academia is a bizarre world and we know it.

Do they actually pay TA’s that much?

There is a pay guide for TA at WSU. Between $2,000 and $4,000 a month. With $2,711 a month being their estimate of what the pay rate is. (It is based on salaries received by their users.)

The estimated total pay for a Teaching Assistant at Washington State University is $2,711 per month.

Not sure who Alice is? It's not a given that anything happened upstairs between 4:04 and 4:12. The killer could have gone upstairs after killing X&E.
M
When I was young, one of my high school friends was the son of a prominent jeweler in town. One day, he was cut off from all the money and jewelry and I remember how angrily he talked about it to all of us (his friends). That night, he went home and murdered his father and sister, and attempted to murder his mother. Being a friend of a murderer has haunted me throughout my life. I absolutely cannot imagine what the family is going through as they assess what they believe to be true and false in their newly shattered world.
Plus, as parents, how unsupportive can you afford? This human is in your life for 28 years can you really cut it clean? They may already have guilty feeling for not raising him right. If they stand on the opposite side, will they son kill them one day he is free? ( never say never)

In reference to posters wondering how BK could have navigated the residence of the victim's in the possible darkness or semi darkness. IMO anyone could have simply gotten a floor plan layout of the place, just go to Zillow for example. If he was stalking the victims he could have gotten the floor plan and each time he drove around the residence, could have been acclimating himself to layout etc. without actually having to be physically inside.

I would guess much of his sleuthing and investigations regarding the planning of these homicides would have taken place on WSU library computers, thereby avoiding any connection with the victims on his personal devices. MOO
If BK did research the home before the killings I wonder if he was able to erase all record of that before he was arrested.

Maybe LE is able to find such incriminating evidence to be used against BK at trial. JMO.

JMO about some of the topics under discussion.

Knife skills are fairly similar to boxing skills. The idea of boxing is to learn to very quickly and powerful land punches on a person's torso. Boxers know which parts of the body to go for, above the belt and below the neck. They learn the same overall movements that someone wanting to train with an offensive knife would learn.

Take away the boxing gloves, put a knife into the dominant hand and you've likely got a fairly skillful knife-wielder. Hold the knife in the saber manner (not the manner used in the movie Psycho) and you've got a person who could rapidly silence and murder people quickly.

The mechanics of what happened are one thing. But the frame of mind of someone who would feel no guilt, shame, or reluctance about the idea of killing people while they slept in their beds is unfathomable and much less likely to occur in a person than the ability to wield a knife.

This killer not only entertained the idea without sufficient negative input from his brain to convince him to seek help, but he acquired the means to do it and did it.

I don't think he cares if he dies or lives, and I think he is likely enjoying this phase of the process, in contrast to the victims (including his own family) in this case. We've seen people like this through history. The ancients talk about them - they are rare. I don't think anyone could have predicted this, nor do I think any family system or general societal system "failed." Nothing could have fixed this murderer, except his own realization that he desperately needed help. And then, he would have had to find that help, which is not easy, as there are no easy "cures" for this type of person.

ALL JMO.
Equating boxing skills to stabbing someone in the chest is a stretch. Throwing a punch is a completely different movement. Doesn't even involve the same muscle groups. Not remotely close. Stabbing someone to death would require very little skill, IMO. Some strength, coordination, and determination would get it done. MOO, but supported by a Black Belt and knife fight training.

IMO, if the sheath had no blood in it, then he started where it was left.
not necessarily because he could have put it in his pocket before he started, wherever he started and it fell ou because he had to lean over one victim to reach another.
We don't know whether there was blood on it or not.
It does look as though he carefully cleaned it of his own DNA before he started, and did a good job on that except for the button snap.. that might suggest he left it deliberately.
Like a calling card..
Why would he have cleaned it so thoroughly unless he'd planned on leaving it?
I wonder if any other killers ever did that?
Did he want fame as the sheath killer?
Off to Google.. will revert if I find anything.

It’s more common to TA in a traditional manner assisting the professor/faculty member with grading, facilitating exams, etc. but also super common for a first year to JUST be an RA, and work hours with a faculty member (usually tenure track) on their (the faculty members) research.
Thanks for the good information.

I read an article once about SOCAL English TAs being on starvation wages because UCLA funds were being constantly used for other purposes and English TAs were ranked very low on the academic totem pole.

That aside....

Washington TAs, however, seem to be on living wages. Would RA salaries be the same as TA salaries? Or, would they be more "stipend like"?

Perhaps the possibly lower RA pay could have then driven BK into uber / doordash type moonlighting?

According to WSU's website the minimum stipend for a graduate TA at .5 FTE (20 hours per week) is $1670 per month.

Link: https://gradschool.wsu.edu/documents/2022/07/assistantship-stipend-guide-2022.pdf/

Edit: My mistake. The minimum stipend for masters is $1670. The minimum stipend for PhD's is $1772.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member