ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 61

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the how and why of BK and data capture showing him frequently in the Moscow/King Road area from as early as June/July 2022:

The FOI rights in the US are surprising to me. Police logs are available online (almost immediately, it seems) detailing LE call outs, arrests and even eventual 'non-events'. Body-cam videos of LE call-outs to the King Road and nearby related student uni houses have been readily available.

I could envisage that a Criminal Justice student, recent to the area, could make use of spare time to research and study these call logs and activity, particularly if hoping to intern with local police to further his project:

"assisting rural law enforcement agencies with how to better collect and analyze technological data in public safety operations"

Driving around areas of known and documented activity; parking up and observing ; even perhaps calling in to incite LE involvement and/or diversions. I could see that this would be a worthwhile, absorbing and rewarding project for a particular mindset.

My point here is that there is an astounding amount of data and information available in US under FIO rights. It is likely that the suspect took full and awful advantage.

Excellent observation. Dovetails well with the timeline of an LE call to 1122 King Rd in August, perhaps?

I wonder when BK's first drive by (stalking) occurred?
MOO

Few quick questions as I take a quick break from work:
1.) Is there any evidence that he broke into the house, i.e. forced entry at the sliders?
2.) Is there any evidence that he broke into MM's room?

We have allot of deer hit by vehicles in 1 piece along our roads here in PA

That would be a better bet for him (there are youtubes on how to dismember and clean deer).

He is supposed to be an extreme vegan, but maybe he did want to know more about the interiors of non-human animals.

I personally think the skills he gained in boxing/kickboxing transfer readily to using a knife. While I don't practice with a knife, I do carry one as personal defense in my car. I watched some military and other training videos. The key to using this style of knife for someone like me (not strong), is to use the saber grip and then one's body weight (no need to have strong arms although strong hands helps). USMC teaches its marines to lean into the target, using body weight, so that even my relatively tiny Marine cousin is able to dispatch someone with a KaBar knife. Momentum and body weight. Just like boxing.

Mr. G described a pattern of wounds on KG that is mentioned in the article posted on the last thread (and it has been posted several times). My personal view is that his "training" was entirely watching things online. He was probably so focused on which injuries would achieve his goals (silence and rapid death with no arterial blood spurt to get him overly soaked in blood) that he forgot his logistical issue (don't forget the sheath!)

1.) Is there any evidence that he broke into the house, i.e. forced entry at the sliders?

I don't think there's been any evidence of forced entry or any mention of it so far. He's charged with burglary because entering someone else's home (or room) with intent to commit a felony is burglary in Idaho. No forced entry needed.

Ok here goes. First impressions from the arrest affidavit:
1. Killings only took place in two bedrooms: 3rd floor bedroom, two roommates were in the same bed; 2nd floor bedroom had roommate and boyfriend. Maybe only planned to kill 2 people?

2. DM’s bedroom was on 2nd floor, and she encountered the killer face to face. She’s very lucky to be alive.

3. BF’s bedroom was on 1st floor and she perhaps slept through the attacks.

4. When DM heard Gonclaves playing with her dog at 4:00, it was probably while Gonclaves and Mogen were being attacked. They were likely killed while they slept, as no screams or cries were heard.

5. kernodle received a door dash at 4:00 and was on TikTok until 4:12 - the killer might have already started the attacks on Goncalves and Mogen when Kernoble picked up her door dash meal. Creepy! Kernoble was certainly awake when she was attacked; her boyfriend could have been awake or asleep. Alternatively, the attacks could have started just after door dash, and DM’s timing of events was a few minutes off.

6. When DM heard roommate say “someone is here” - my guess is it was Kernodle, who was trying to alert her boyfriend. Killer had already killed Goncalves and Mogen and had just entered Kernodle’s bedroom. First time DM opened her door.

7. When DM heard cries from Kernodle’s room, she opened door for 2nd time. Attack of Kernodle and Chaplin was in progress.

8. After hearing Kernodle crying and male voice saying “I’m going to help you” she opened door a third time and saw killer - he was apparently just coming out of Kernoble’s room, having just killed Kernoble and Chaplin. Maybe he was too exhausted to continue killing remaining roommates?

9. Police did a fantastic job tracking down the suspect vehicle and the suspect and matching his DNA. Nothing really to add.

10. Killer cased the house several times in the weeks before the murders and visited the crime scene the next morning. I do not believe killer had any connection to victims other than he selected them as targets.

11. IMO. The only motive here is thrill kill and to try to get away with a mass murder. I think these were his first murders, but he’s likely been fantasizing about it for years.

12. I think he’ll be convicted pretty easily and given the death penalty.

I’ll write more if I think of anything else. Just my thoughts on the affidavit.
100% in agreement with all.

So much is just not making sense… I don’t care how smart BK thinks he is, this all just seems like too much. My rambling thoughts:

K and M were both found on M’s bed, but is that where they originally were? K’s dog was shut in K’s room, which is where I would expect K to be as well. It makes sense to me that K and her dog were both in K’s room. When K leaves her room, she closes the door behind her (to prevent her dog from getting all wound up and jumping on the unknown person in M’s room).

Dog recorded barking starting at 4:17, so is when the dog knows there is a struggle on the other side of that door. Did he kill M in her sleep, then K walked in on it?

But knowing his car was speeding away at 4:20, was K the last victim? I think so. And is it accurate that K’s wounds were more savage? That would be consistent with M killed in her sleep, K awake and trying to defend.

I’m also wondering, when BK originally unsheathed his knife, did he just stick the sheath back in his pocket? He obviously didn’t have it strapped to his leg or worn on his belt, but a hoodie could offer that nice big front pocket where he could enter with the knife not visible. I wonder if perhaps that’s exactly what he did and the sheath fell out unnoticed while he was struggling with M and throwing her on K’s bed.

All of this allows no time to attack X and E afterwards, that had to have been before. We know his car was seen pulling into the street at 4:04 and we know X was awake and on Snapchat at 4:12 - that leaves an 8 minute window to park his car and enter the house. And only another 8 minutes (until 4:20) when the car is seen speeding away. Allowing 2 minutes to get downstairs, out of the house, back in his car and take off - so all of this happened in 6 minutes?

1. Killings only took place in two bedrooms: 3rd floor bedroom, two roommates were in the same bed; 2nd floor bedroom had roommate and boyfriend. Maybe only planned to kill 2 people?

2. DM’s bedroom was on 2nd floor, and she encountered the killer face to face. She’s very lucky to be alive.

4. When DM heard Gonclaves playing with her dog at 4:00, it was probably while Gonclaves and Mogen were being attacked. They were likely killed while they slept, as no screams or cries were heard.

5. kernodle received a door dash at 4:00 and was on TikTok until 4:12 - the killer might have already started the attacks on Goncalves and Mogen when Kernoble picked up her door dash meal. Creepy! Kernoble was certainly awake when she was attacked; her boyfriend could have been awake or asleep. Alternatively, the attacks could have started just after door dash, and DM’s timing of events was a few minutes off.

6. When DM heard roommate say “someone is here” - my guess is it was Kernodle, who was trying to alert her boyfriend. Killer had already killed Goncalves and Mogen and had just entered Kernodle’s bedroom. First time DM opened her door.

7. When DM heard cries from Kernodle’s room, she opened door for 2nd time. Attack of Kernodle and Chaplin was in progress.

8. After hearing Kernodle crying and male voice saying “I’m going to help you” she opened door a third time and saw killer - he was apparently just coming out of Kernoble’s room, having just killed Kernoble and Chaplin. Maybe he was too exhausted to continue killing remaining roommates?

9. Police did a fantastic job tracking down the suspect vehicle and the suspect and matching his DNA. Nothing really to add.

10. Killer cased the house several times in the weeks before the murders and visited the crime scene the next morning. I do not believe killer had any connection to victims other than he selected them as targets.

11. IMO. The only motive here is thrill kill and to try to get away with a mass murder. I think these were his first murders, but he’s likely been fantasizing about it for years.

*Goncalves
*Kernodle
*Chapin

That would be a better bet for him (there are youtubes on how to dismember and clean deer).

He is supposed to be an extreme vegan, but maybe he did want to know more about the interiors of non-human animals.

I personally think the skills he gained in boxing/kickboxing transfer readily to using a knife. While I don't practice with a knife, I do carry one as personal defense in my car. I watched some military and other training videos. The key to using this style of knife for someone like me (not strong), is to use the saber grip and then one's body weight (no need to have strong arms although strong hands helps). USMC teaches its marines to lean into the target, using body weight, so that even my relatively tiny Marine cousin is able to dispatch someone with a KaBar knife. Momentum and body weight. Just like boxing.

Mr. G described a pattern of wounds on KG that is mentioned in the article posted on the last thread (and it has been posted several times). My personal view is that his "training" was entirely watching things online. He was probably so focused on which injuries would achieve his goals (silence and rapid death with no arterial blood spurt to get him overly soaked in blood) that he forgot his logistical issue (don't forget the sheath!)
boxers have strong hands and forearms.

No, but he is charged with felony burglary. No details at all from LE on how he entered or if doors were locked. Just that he was seen by DM as he headed towards the sliders on the 2nd floor and he presumably exited there. MOO

We know his car was seen pulling into the street at 4:04 and we know X was awake and on Snapchat at 4:12 - that leaves an 8 minute window to park his car and enter the house. And only another 8 minutes (until 4:20) when the car is seen speeding away. Allowing 2 minutes to get downstairs, out of the house, back in his car and take off - so all of this happened in 6 minutes?
He'd been staking them for a long time, and knew the house and the people, so with this attack (when he was finally going to do it) he was like a coiled spring. Psyched himself up.
Get in, stabbing rampage, back out, and off.
Wham, bam. I think 6 minutes is definitely plausible.

MOO.

Nicely done. My only differing opinion is to your #2 because I would not characterize their encounter as face to face. She said he walked toward her. Footprint found shows he did walk past her door. She saw him we don’t know if he saw her.
I agree. I don't think he saw her. I think at that point he was laser focused on the sliding door and getting out of there.

The Delphi case issued a gag order that included family members as well after the arrest of RA.
maybe the gag order was released because so many people had seen the affidavit before the arrest. LE in PA saw it and Bks public defendant certainly had it or else they wouldn’t be inside the crime scene on the 30th. Moo

@sleepingmonkey,

Yesterday you wrote:

@OckhamsRazor22 from the last thread, you wrote "DM was not in his line of sight (which was also impeded due to the balaclava type of black mask/hood she confirmed he was wearing. BK was no longer in seek/destroy mode. He was in exit/survive mode."

Are you referring to the AA? or did I miss some new info?

C & P from the AA of DM's description didn't state anything about a balaclava type of black mask/hood:

D.M. stated she opened her door for the third time after she heard the crying and saw a
figue clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person's mouth and nose walking
towards her.

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case...it - Exhibit A - Statement of Brett Payne.pdf bottom of pg 4.

**IMO for all “intensive purposes” we are all MASK-WEARY from nearly three years of dealing with them due to Covid.

A Balacava IS a MASK, in the same manner that a SKI MASK is one. A Balaclava is usually BLACK, covers the mouth and/or nose, and leaves the eyes and eyebrows visible (therefore NOTABLE to DM).

It is most often constructed using very thin using effectively durable (tactical grade) material. Therefore it would remain secure and snug during any close quarters “hand to hand” combat or fighting. It would also cover his hair, and is highly versatile as well. It certainly falls into line with his overall theme and proclivity/obsession for all things military and LE. The desire to be a Ranger or LEO speaks volumes in hindsight. The Weapon of choice simply lends additional credence and common sense to this type of mask being worn.

Any “facial mask” (ie: most COVID masks) secured behind the ears, etc., would easily be ripped off or lost during those four unpredictable but deadly encounters. It is my own opinion and contention that BK wore a tactical type of black balaclava “mask” when he visited the Kings road residence. DM may not even be aware of the term “Balaclava” - or to the “type of mask” that it would refer. I’m sure this will all be revealed at TrIal.

JMOO

*From your link:

“D.M. stated she opened her door for the third time after she heard the crying and saw a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person's mouth and nose walking towards her. D.M. described the figure as 5' I0” or taller, male, not very muscular, but athletically built with bushy eyebrows.”

Excellent observation. Dovetails well with the timeline of an LE call to 1122 King Rd in August, perhaps?

I wonder when BK's first drive by (stalking) occurred?
MOO
Regarding the noise complaint in Sept, yes it was loud, how creepy if he was stalking and upset he wasn't part of the party and called them in?

The affidavit says that video show BK's car driving around to find a place to park until 4:05. So if BK is already in the house, then someone else is in the car. BK seems very much a loner, so i assume he did this on his own. But I don't totally rule out an accomplice. But the timeline here is interesting and very tight.

True, it says he walked towards her. I assumed he saw her, but maybe not. In any event he did not continue killing for some reason.
MOO she looked out a crack in her door, but did not fling it wide, which created an extra line of dark at the jamb, noticeable but not movement or a human shape to draw the eye.

Agree with your thoughts here with the exception that I think BK has committed some type of violent acts against animals or someone vulnerable. JMO

The last I heard, it was scheduled for Thursday the 12th, at 8:00 am.

A status hearing mainly deals with scheduling, checking that discovery is proceeding the way it should, etc.

So, I think that the only likely info will be if the preliminary hearing is scheduled. That would be big news! I believe that he has a right to have the preliminary hearing start on the 19, but I’d guess that it could be postponed if his defense wanted more time.

(A preliminary is like a miniature trial, before a judge. The judge will decide whether there’s enough evidence to justify a real trial—traditionally, the defense doesn’t present a case, and the judge gives the benefit of the doubt to the prosecution.)

MOO I am not a lawyer.
I don't believe BK has made a formal guilty or not guilty response to his charges. This will happen at the status hearing. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest